PDA

View Full Version : Elih Marrero- baseball recruit

Todd4State
07-09-2014, 12:53 AM
Is visiting us Saturday. And yes, Cardinals fans he is related to (son) Eli Marrero, better known as one of the guys we traded to the Braves to get Adam Wainwright.

He's a catcher from Coral Gables, Florida and made All-Dade County. Perfect Game has him at 5'9" 190 and his POP time is 1.82 per their recordings. He is also a switch hitter. I'm having a hard time finding stats on him, but I did find an article where he was hitting .480 at the time it was written, but take that with a grain of salt as far as accuracy. It also says on his PG profile that he is a "hustling player and an aggressive baserunner."

What it sounds like to me is as other posters on here speculated/shared with us Hunter Stovall probably will move to 2B. According to Gene, Stovall and Luke Alexander have really good chemistry together as middle infielders for Dulin's Dodgers, so whether we get Marrero or not, it sounds like we are indeed looking for another catcher. And of course, Gene Wood committing to Alabama probably furthered that along as well to a small degree as well.

MsStateBaseball
07-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Gene, interviewed him and his travel coach. Looks like Cohen is serious, both he and Mingione were at the 17 nationals. They need to hit these showcase tourneys. But I believe once Elih sees the stadium, facilities he will commit.

Jacksondevildog
07-09-2014, 03:15 PM
I think he has a Miami offer. That will be tough to pass down, especially when he lives like two minutes from campus.

CadaverDawg
07-09-2014, 03:19 PM
I think he has a Miami offer. That will be tough to pass down, especially when he lives like two minutes from campus.

True. Aren't Miami's facilities pretty bad though? That may be our only hope

Jacksondevildog
07-09-2014, 03:29 PM
They were bad when I went down there in 2005. Alex Rodriguez donated a lot of money and they are improved, but are still behind most SEC ballparks.

MsStateBaseball
07-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Does he want to really better himself? Play in the SEC vs ACC? Gavin Collins decided to better himself. He could have stayed in CA or in AZ. He would have already committed to Miami if he loved it there.

BrunswickDawg
07-09-2014, 03:43 PM
And yes, Cardinals fans he is related to (son) Eli Marrero, better known as one of the guys we traded to the Braves to get Adam Wainwright.
Many folks here swore off the Braves after that one - you don't trade our hometown hero....
Wainwright was the most intimidating HS pitcher I've ever seen. You could just see on the batters faces that they knew they had no chance.

Jacksondevildog
07-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Well if he's a catcher, as I believe I've read, he has two years on the bench playing behind Collins. It would definitely be good to sign him.

Todd4State
07-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Actually, it would only be one year because Collins will be a junior by the time Marrero got to campus.

Jacksondevildog
07-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Yep. Didn't see that initially. He's a 2016 recruit. That surely helps our cause.

ScottH
07-09-2014, 04:28 PM
They were bad when I went down there in 2005. Alex Rodriguez donated a lot of money and they are improved, but are still behind most SEC ballparks.

You are correct. It was bad then. Actually, shockingly bad. In fact I may owe La La an apology because I had forgotten about Mark Light when I said La La was the worst away regional stadium I had been to.

I went last year while I was in Miami. It's a whole lot better. A-Rod's 4 million donation certainly helped. However, I wasn't wowed by any stretch of the imagination.