PDA

View Full Version : Baseball signed question..

MsStateBaseball
07-08-2014, 08:29 PM
I suppose none of you know who exactly has enrolled at summer school and is working out. Could be a new player or two that show up. Frustrating I can't find out.

MsStateBaseball
07-08-2014, 08:41 PM
I opened up a can of worms on genespage and David Murray went off. He is frustrated too. All other sports release signee info.

Todd4State
07-08-2014, 08:51 PM
I'd be pretty surprised if there is someone else that comes on board at this point.

We don't have a lot of positions that are open- we filled our need in the outfield with Luke Reynolds and Michael Smith and we filled our MIF spot with Holland. Really the biggest question mark is the bullpen.

messageboardsuperhero
07-08-2014, 09:00 PM
I just read that thread. I understand the staff's reasoning behind being secretive about the roster and new players. From my point of view, a lot of it seems to sort of go back to Cohen trying to reduce the negative stigma of being a walk-on as opposed to being on scholarship. It sure would make it easier if they did release a list though...

At the same time, it's pretty damn funny seeing David Murray squirm around and get upset over it. He's probably the bitchiest sports writer I've ever seen- always complaining about games ending too late, having to travel, etc. I think he misses the good ole days of sportswriters being able to go to games, file their reports, and be done with it. Plus his stories are just too damn long.

missouridawg
07-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Why any fan or fansite thinks they deserve this information is beyond me. Get over it.

Todd4State
07-08-2014, 09:07 PM
I opened up a can of worms on genespage and David Murray went off. He is frustrated too. All other sports release signee info.

Well, he asks them every year and then whines when they don't give it to him.

It's like he doesn't get that it hurts MSU as a team.

Todd4State
07-08-2014, 09:08 PM
I just read that thread. I understand the staff's reasoning behind being secretive about the roster and new players. From my point of view, a lot of it seems to sort of go back to Cohen trying to reduce the negative stigma of being a walk-on as opposed to being on scholarship. It sure would make it easier if they did release a list though...

At the same time, it's pretty damn funny seeing David Murray squirm around and get upset over it. He's probably the bitchiest sports writer I've ever seen- always complaining about games ending too late, having to travel, etc. I think he misses the good ole days of sportswriters being able to go to games, file their reports, and be done with it. Plus his stories are just too damn long.

Exactly. It's more of a NCAA issue. The football team can't release the names of the preferred walk-ons for the same reason.

ScottH
07-08-2014, 09:18 PM
It amazes me that SOME of the MSU fan site "media" apparently see themselves as investigative journalists as opposed to fan site reporters. Except for occasional editorial pieces (in which it's fine to gently call someone or something to task) , fan site reporters should at most should be deliverers of inside info, give an everyday viewpoint most of us fans don't necessarily have and never ever put out a piece that hurts a program. Additionally they should fluff on call.

Beat writers are a totally different story. It's Ath Dept job to keep them in line with access or should I say lack of it.

Until I am proven wrong, I shall defer to Cohen on how best to handle signee announcing.

Todd4State
07-08-2014, 09:22 PM
It amazes me that SOME of the MSU fan site "media" apparently see themselves as investigative journalists as opposed to fan site reporters. Except for occasional editorial pieces (in which it's fine to gently call someone or something to task) , fan site reporters should at most should be deliverers of inside info, give an everyday viewpoint most of us fans don't necessarily have and never ever put out a piece that hurts a program. Additionally they should fluff on call.

Beat writers are a totally different story. It's Ath Dept job to keep them in line with access or should I say lack of it.

Until I am proven wrong, I shall defer to Cohen on how best to handle signee announcing.

In this case, I think it's Murray being lazy because he wants a nice neat list from MSU with all their info on it. But what's bizarre to me is he wants to know how much scholarship money each player is getting. Why?

ScottH
07-08-2014, 09:27 PM
But what's bizarre to me is he wants to know how much scholarship money each player is getting. Why?

You're kidding? (obviously I realize you aren't)

I wonder if that could even be made public by the school. I would think not.