PDA

View Full Version : Todd & Cards fans.....

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2014, 06:28 PM
There are rumblings of a deal with the BoSox that would send Jake Peavy to STL. Apparently the Cards have had scouts at his last couple of starts. Thoughts?

DudyDawg
07-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Any news on who we would send them for him? Would hope it's not a good prospect and someone we view we excess to demands. Can't see us getting more than a year or two of production from peavy (don't know how long his contract is, he's old, etc). So if we don't give up much I like it

Pioneer Dawg
07-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Peavy has been one of the worst SP in baseball this year.

Dawg61
07-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch was told by a Cardinals source that the team is "looking for offense" rather than a pitcher like Jake Peavy.
Multiple reports have suggested that the Cardinals are in on Peavy and that a deal could be done quickly, but Goold is hearing otherwise. Goold notes that the Cards have "had an eye on the available pitchers," but "their offensive need is more acute." St. Louis is expecting Joe Kelly (hamstring) to return from the DL Friday and thinks their rotation will be fine, especially if they get Michael Wacha (shoulder) back next month.

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Any news on who we would send them for him? Would hope it's not a good prospect and someone we view we excess to demands. Can't see us getting more than a year or two of production from peavy (don't know how long his contract is, he's old, etc). So if we don't give up much I like it

No clue, that's all I saw. I doubt his asking price is too high, so I wouldn't be worried about giving up a whole lot. Personally, I think it'd be a good move for the Cards. Shoulder injuries are a bitch, and you gotta figure Garcia may be nearly done after all his shoulder issues. Gives you a little depth regardless.

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch was told by a Cardinals source that the team is "looking for offense" rather than a pitcher like Jake Peavy.
Multiple reports have suggested that the Cardinals are in on Peavy and that a deal could be done quickly, but Goold is hearing otherwise. Goold notes that the Cards have "had an eye on the available pitchers," but "their offensive need is more acute." St. Louis is expecting Joe Kelly (hamstring) to return from the DL Friday and thinks their rotation will be fine, especially if they get Michael Wacha (shoulder) back next month.

Cards definitely could use a bat, but like I said in a thread yesterday, you can't believe that Yadi, Holliday, and Craig all continue slumping the rest of the season. Once those guys get it going, your offensive problem solves itself. It would be nice to get a bat, and you may go get an average one, but I don't think you really NEED one. Plus, you can always try a waiver trade in a few weeks.

missouridawg
07-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Cards definitely could use a bat, but like I said in a thread yesterday, you can't believe that Yadi, Holliday, and Craig all continue slumping the rest of the season. Once those guys get it going, your offensive problem solves itself. It would be nice to get a bat, and you may go get an average one, but I don't think you really NEED one. Plus, you can always try a waiver trade in a few weeks.

A bat at 2b or 3b would make me happy. Insurance in the rotation is attractive as well, but don't need to overpay here.

Cards are in trouble if they don't start hitting.

Irondawg
07-08-2014, 07:55 PM
well the cards on the red sox do have a match as the cards could ship several OF (Bourjos, Piscotty, etc) over to Boston

Todd4State
07-08-2014, 09:14 PM
I've never been a big Jake Peavey fan. If we trade for him, we better not send a lot for him. There's really not a lot to like about Peavey.

Todd4State
07-08-2014, 09:17 PM
well the cards on the red sox do have a match as the cards could ship several OF (Bourjos, Piscotty, etc) over to Boston

I would do Bourjos for Peavey if the Red Sox will eat his salary. I mean, what the hell? Two turds but they might help each team more than where they are now. But I do think Bourjos has a better chance of being good for Boston long term than Peavey does for the Cardinals.

Todd4State
07-08-2014, 09:19 PM

I think the problem is they don't have a Beltran or a Pujols that is the centerpiece of the offense. I think if they get one, I think those other players would start to hit better. Taveras isn't quite ready yet.

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2014, 10:01 PM
A bat at 2b or 3b would make me happy. Insurance in the rotation is attractive as well, but don't need to overpay here.

Cards are in trouble if they don't start hitting.

So, about that bat at 2B......#KoltenWongWalkoff

missouridawg
07-08-2014, 10:04 PM
So, about that bat at 2B......#KoltenWongWalkoff

Need him to keep it up... He has been a little disappointing so far, as has Tavares.

DudyDawg
07-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know if they are ready to be contributors. Would be nice, but I agree another bat would help

Todd4State
07-08-2014, 11:32 PM
Need him to keep it up... He has been a little disappointing so far, as has Tavares.

Wong has been hurt a lot this year though. I'll say this about him- he is extremely athletic at second base.

But because of him being hurt, I'm not too down on him.

The real issue is Carpenter hits like a second baseman at a power position.

But both Taveras and Wong will be fine.

Todd4State
07-08-2014, 11:48 PM
Some of the comments from Cardinals fans on MLB.com are pretty funny- Forsake the Jake.

And then one go goes- Dave Duncan doesn't work here any more.

sleepy dawg
07-09-2014, 12:16 AM
It is really hard to imagine they would even be interested in Peavy unless they were absolutely desperate for arms, which they aren't currently. Peavy is on his way out.