PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting

msstate7
07-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Haven't heard anything lately. How we look with our targets heading into our big camp?

jumbo
07-08-2014, 04:26 PM
should get a few more commits

hailmari
07-08-2014, 04:43 PM
I haven't seen anything, but I could really go for some excitement.

engie
07-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Would be some surprise for me if we make it through July without 3 more....

Saltydog
07-08-2014, 07:33 PM
nt

sbcmortgageman
07-08-2014, 07:38 PM
nt

Adams, Peters, Pass

msstate7
07-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Adams, Peters, Pass

This would be unbelievable

engie
07-08-2014, 07:52 PM
I don't think Peters commits early -- and I'm not sure Adams does either, although he's been hinting that he might...

Pass, Gibson, and Danley or Calvin are most likely IMO...

Saltydog
07-08-2014, 07:57 PM
him hard. He now has them as his leader.

ShotgunDawg
07-08-2014, 08:04 PM
him hard. He now has them as his leader.

Alabama isn't really his leader. Everyone with knowledge says he's our to lose. Along with the others people mentioned, also expect a commitment from Alec Murphy, the RB from Missouri, at Big Dawg.

GreenheadDawg
07-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Alabama isn't really his leader. Everyone with knowledge says he's our to lose. Along with the others people mentioned, also expect a commitment from Alec Murphy, the RB from Missouri, at Big Dawg.

Why would we accept a commitment from Murphy when Gibson is close to pulling the trigger and we already have one RB commit. Are we going to try him at another position?

smootness
07-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Steve is now saying we trail OU on Danley and that there's a chance he commits on his visit there. TIFWIW, but I don't think that's a done deal.

msstate7
07-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Steve is now saying we trail OU on Danley and that there's a chance he commits on his visit there. TIFWIW, but I don't think that's a done deal.

This is a blow

ShotgunDawg
07-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Why would we accept a commitment from Murphy when Gibson is close to pulling the trigger and we already have one RB commit. Are we going to try him at another position?

Unless, K Thomas lights it up at Big Dawg, I expect Gibson and Murphy to be our running backs. Consensus is that Murphy and Gibson are better prospects.

huffy
07-08-2014, 09:37 PM
losing these O-linemen is really starting to get to me..... it's just so tough to believe that we are having this much trouble closing on the big guys.

huffy
07-08-2014, 09:39 PM
I know it's a long ways to February but it seems like we should be making more noise with these OL guys. especially with the momentum that we are starting to build.

engie
07-08-2014, 09:40 PM

Will believe when I see on Danley...

hailmari
07-08-2014, 09:59 PM
I really like Kentavious Thomas. He runs a lot like J-Rob.. Great hip wiggle, power, decent speed, runs angry.

The videos I've seen on Murphy are mostly of him running over white guys like me.. He does it very well, but it's hard for me to judge on that.

maroonmania
07-08-2014, 10:40 PM

I'm the opposite, OL (whether Danley or anyone else with other legitimate big time offers) is the ONE position left where I actually don't believe WE will get them until I see it. Sealing the deal on our top OL targets in recruiting is probably the biggest issue we have holding our program back at the moment going forward. And Danley is a BIG piece of the 2015 puzzle for us. We need a legitimate big time Tackle to come in and fill Clausell's spot when he is gone.

Todd4State
07-08-2014, 11:50 PM
I'm the opposite, OL (whether Danley or anyone else with other legitimate big time offers) is the ONE position left where I actually don't believe WE will get them until I see it. Sealing the deal on our top OL targets in recruiting is probably the biggest issue we have holding our program back at the moment going forward. And Danley is a BIG piece of the 2015 puzzle for us. We need a legitimate big time Tackle to come in and fill Clausell's spot when he is gone.

We have one- Rufus Warren.

Todd4State
07-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Unless, K Thomas lights it up at Big Dawg, I expect Gibson and Murphy to be our running backs. Consensus is that Murphy and Gibson are better prospects.

I'm not sure that I believe Nick Gibson is in the boat as much as our recruiting experts believe. I could see him waiting for Bama.

I've also heard that one of the backs could be a sign and place. Not sure who though.

engie
07-09-2014, 06:10 AM

While we miss on more targets than I'd like, our OL recruiting is not as bad as some would have you believe. We've got at least 5 backups with other SEC offers right now that simply haven't had their chance yet. I'm not worried about Clausell's replacement, since I've already seen Senior start once and play extensively there (probably 20% of the total snaps last year, go back and watch a full game or two and pay attention, you'll be shocked how often he's in). Being unnoticed on the OL behind a good LT is a big plus.

That said, it's going to be a disaster if we miss on Danley after the amount of time we've spent chasing him -- and the amount of time that's been "his spot"(since this time last year if not sooner). Hev is a good OL coach, but no one clearly wants to play for him. Would be fine with me to see him bolt for a true OC position after we dominate on the ground this year with him being the "running game OC", since I view him as the recruiting weakness left on the staff. He's had some success in recruiting a few big players for us, but so did Koenning(a much better recruiter than Hev). Yet, amazingly, 3 months after Brian Johnson is here, we grab a Texas QB with more BCS offers than every other QB we signed under Koenning COMBINED.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-09-2014, 06:20 AM

I wouldnt count on rufus

sbcmortgageman
07-09-2014, 06:35 AM
I don't think Peters commits early -- and I'm not sure Adams does either, although he's been hinting that he might...

Pass, Gibson, and Danley or Calvin are most likely IMO...

I forgot Gibson. Yes he may very well commit at Big Dawg.

maroonmania
07-09-2014, 07:33 AM

Really nothing to base that on. At least Danley has his body of work at JUCO. No good excuse if we should end up losing him.

thf24
07-09-2014, 08:06 AM
I saw an OM fan post a comment on a 247 article that said something like "Fletcher [Adams] is obviously under a lot of pressure to commit to MSU, but I think in his heart he wants to be a Rebel." God it must be nice to be able to easily believe any fiction you want.

Really nothing to base that on. At least Danley has his body of work at JUCO. No good excuse if we should end up losing him.

There are no guarantees of course, but Warren has all the tools to be a good SEC tackle. Our staff has turned less into more than serviceable SEC O-lineman in the past several years. You're right though that we really need to get Danley and avoid a plan B situation altogether.

spiritual_machine2005
07-09-2014, 08:16 AM
I agree on rufus. I was actually glad they made the move with him to tackle. He had all spring to get to learn the new position, which isnt radically different from his old tight end position. By the end of fall camp i believe he will be ready to be a more than servicable back up. And with the depth at tight end including the huge juco guy coming in, it made since to move him to a position that was thin. Is he a junior?

thf24
07-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Is he a junior?

Yes. Best case he won't play much this year, but I think he'll play a big role in 2015 as at least a quality backup.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2014, 08:43 AM
I saw an OM fan post a comment on a 247 article that said something like "Fletcher [Adams] is obviously under a lot of pressure to commit to MSU, but I think in his heart he wants to be a Rebel." God it must be nice to be able to easily believe any fiction you want.

Whatever makes him feel better and continue to falsely justify that his school is better....

The amount of dumbass, naive, gullible, idiot you must have in you to believe that is unfathomable.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2014, 08:44 AM
I'm not sure that I believe Nick Gibson is in the boat as much as our recruiting experts believe. I could see him waiting for Bama.

I've also heard that one of the backs could be a sign and place. Not sure who though.

I think Gibson is already "committed". If he doesn't make it official at Big Dawg, then I would get concerned. Until, then I think the consensus is that he is already in the boat.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm holding out hope on Danley that he is just caught up in the bright light of big time Big 12, that is a joke. He has never even visited Oklahoma and is calling them his leader. Why a kid would want to play against lesser competition in front of an empty student section, IDK. Oklahoma did beat a hungover Bama team last year, but they also go blown out by a bad Texas team.

We clearly aren't recruiting Danley as well as we should be, but I'm not ready to throw the towel in on this one yet. If we lose him though, it would be a pretty pathetic recruiting job by our coaches and boosters.

Jack Lambert
07-09-2014, 08:56 AM
This is a blow

I would rather it be OU.

trob115
07-09-2014, 09:42 AM
I think Gibson will make it official at Big Dawg along with Pass and a few others. Look for Trey Derouen to possibly commit too.

HancockCountyDog
07-09-2014, 09:56 AM

I've talked to two people on him, it will be a signing day deal. No matter who he commits to, nobody is giving up on him. He is too damn important to our team next year.

DudyDawg
07-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Why a kid would want to play against lesser competition in front of an empty student section, IDK. Oklahoma did beat a hungover Bama team last year, but they also go blown out by a bad Texas team.

Oklahoma is far from an "empty student section". Yes, the big 12 isn't the SEC, but they do fit 90k in Norman.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Oklahoma is far from an "empty student section". Yes, the big 12 isn't the SEC, but they do fit 90k in Norman.

Have you been there or are you just speaking off of perception? I have been there many times and the place isn't great. Furthermore, OK has had major student attendence problems.

http://m.newsok.com/big-12-football-student-attendance-lagging-at-ou-osu-other-schools/article/3904934

DudyDawg
07-09-2014, 10:53 AM
I've been. Mother went there. Saw Sam Bradford destroy Miami in front of 87k. The only point I'm making is that their stadium fits about 90, ours 65, and I wouldn't exactly act like we have the greatest student section in the country.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Ive been there. It isnt bad. Okie state is much better. The state school atmosphere always seems to be better to me. Auburn, a&m, ok state, msu, etc

DudyDawg
07-09-2014, 11:13 AM
I would completely disagree, but I would say OU football is my favorite team other than MSU anything, so I'm biased. Think OU is nicer in pretty much every way.

Anyways, back to the thread. What are the odds of Pass committing sooner rather than later? Obviously its interesting bc of his brother, but also seems like he would be a really good player for us too. Are we his favorite right now?

engie
07-09-2014, 11:15 AM
I would completely disagree, but I would say OU football is my favorite team other than MSU anything, so I'm biased. Think OU is nicer in pretty much every way.

Anyways, back to the thread. What are the odds of Pass committing sooner rather than later? Obviously its interesting bc of his brother, but also seems like he would be a really good player for us too. Are we his favorite right now?

At this point, getting Khane seems like almost a certainty...

Jawon is a whole different thing at this moment with his long-craved Auburn offer...

DudyDawg
07-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Well, getting the first certainly can't hurt with the second. Glad he looks certain, like I said, he seems like a solid player himself by all accounts.

Goat Holder
07-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Jamal Danley is the JUCO OL right? Hate to see he's leaning towards Oklahoma. That has been a trend here lately, a lot of MS JUCOs are headed out there. I had heard it was some SEC rule or class, but who knows. Guess we need to go invade the Texas/Kansas JUCOs then.

JUCO recrootin is about all I follow nowadays. HS is predictable and the same every year. JUCO is where we can stand out, and where we have a shot at landing that miracle guy like a Cam Newton. Doesn't appear we're doing too well in that regard, though.

ETA: Looking at this list: http://mississippistate.scout.com/a.z?s=136&p=9&c=11&cfg=null&yr=2015&pid=-1&sspid=-1&iRatingValue=-1&iGetJUCOFlag=1&iCommitFlag=-1&iGroupbyPosition=0&toinid=750&iInterestLevelId=-1&iOffer=-1&iRecruitVisitFlag=-1&OrderbyColumn=RatingValue

Where do we stand we this Martinas Rankin guy? Looks like we've offered 2 guys from California too.

jumbo
07-09-2014, 11:54 AM
At this point, getting Khane seems like almost a certainty...

Jawon is a whole different thing at this moment with his long-craved Auburn offer...

I'm hoping Torrance Gibson picks Auburn. That could only help our chances with Jawon

engie
07-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Good point.

It would really be something if we could get Jawon in the boat early and helping us recruit...

Ifyouonlyknew
07-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Pass really likes Auburn but I don't believe it was a game changer for him. Also on Auburn Gibson has fallen down their board & their #1 2015 qb target is Deondre Francois from Florida. It's a FSU/Auburn battle for him. Also Pass isn't clear cut #1 QB target for Auburn next year either. They have 3 or 4 top flight dual threat guys they are as high or higher on than Pass who were offered before him. Xavier Gaines 2016 4* Dual Threat kid from Florida has already named Auburn his leader.

hailmari
07-09-2014, 01:52 PM
He's probably a project, but he's one I hope we get. Furlow, OT, from Alabama. Monster beast.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/07/alabama_auburn_keeping_an_eye.html