PDA

View Full Version : Pendleton not pulling any punches on why McCann is struggling in New York

starkvegasdawg
07-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Says that he is putting too much pressure on himself and that he knew he would not be comfortable playing in New York. Also basically said that he was hard headed his last few years in Atlanta and wanted to pull everything instead of hitting to all fields and refused to change his approach.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/11190888/brian-mccann-never-comfortable-playing-new-york-yankees-says-terry-pendleton-atlanta-braves

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2014, 12:58 PM
He's spot on about Mac becoming a dead pull hitter.

msstate7
07-08-2014, 01:03 PM
He's spot on about Mac becoming a dead pull hitter.

Father Time took his lightening fast bat speed away. McCann used to turn on any fastball.

BrunswickDawg
07-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Best money that Braves didn't spend. He was a very good hitter, but it became obvious in 2012 he was starting the downhill slide and pitchers had figured him out.

missouridawg
07-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Father Time took his lightening fast bat speed away. McCann used to turn on any fastball.

Is Father Time the name of a candybar or something? Couldn't hurt to drop a few pounds to increase some bat speed.

Pioneer Dawg
07-08-2014, 01:22 PM
BB rates

2010 - 13.1%
2012 - 9.0%
2014 - 6.6%

I spot a trend here.

He's getting shifted on more this year which has added to his BABIP regression. His batted ball profile doesnt suggest anything majorly off. He should bounce back after the break.

Todd4State
07-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Why these hitters go from using the entire field which works to being a dead pull hitter is beyond me. Albert Pujols did it as well, and I think that's part of the reason for his decline.

starkvegasdawg
07-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Why these hitters go from using the entire field which works to being a dead pull hitter is beyond me. Albert Pujols did it as well, and I think that's part of the reason for his decline.

Only ones that being a dead pull hitter worked for in recent history were the roids brothers Bonds and McGwire. They could be a dead pull hitter because they could hit it off the end of the bat and it still go 400 feet.

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Is Father Time the name of a candybar or something? Couldn't hurt to drop a few pounds to increase some bat speed.

Actually, Mac was in pretty good shape his last couple of years in Atlanta. At least compared to what he'd been in previous years. And Mac is always going to be a bit stocky with his frame. It's moreso that he's been in The Show forever and the wear & tear of catching every day has started taking its toll.

Todd4State
07-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Only ones that being a dead pull hitter worked for in recent history were the roids brothers Bonds and McGwire. They could be a dead pull hitter because they could hit it off the end of the bat and it still go 400 feet.

Actually, McGwire hit quite a few opposite field home runs when he was in his prime. He was a very good hitter, as was Bonds at using the whole field.

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Best money that Braves didn't spend. He was a very good hitter, but it became obvious in 2012 he was starting the downhill slide and pitchers had figured him out.

I don't know about "pitchers figuring him out," but I agree the Braves did the right thing by not re-signing him. It broke my heart, but it was time to pull the plug. We got younger and better behind the plate with Gattis, and now Bethancourt looks like he might be ready, too. I think the big thing, which 7 alluded to, is that Mac is just an "old" player in terms baseball played. He broke into the league when he was 21 and was the everyday catcher. He may only be 30, but he's got a whole lot of tread on the tires. And when the knees start to go, offense starts to go. I think that's what we're seeing with Mac perhaps moreso than anything else.

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Actually, McGwire hit quite a few opposite field home runs when he was in his prime. He was a very good hitter, as was Bonds at using the whole field.

Indeed. Neither of those guys were dead pull hitters, contrary to popular opinion. It's what made them elite power hitters, regardless of steroid usage.

shoeless joe
07-08-2014, 02:41 PM

I remember McGwire bein absolutely dead pull...bonds used the whole field much better than Mac.

dawgs
07-08-2014, 05:36 PM

Because as guys age and lose bat speed (in the post roids era, guys start losing it around 30-33), the try to get out in front of everything because they can't catch up with an inside fastball anymore. They start being dead pull hitters because they need to be to generate power and not get eaten up 100% of the time on inside heat.

msstate7
07-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Because as guys age and lose bat speed (in the post roids era, guys start losing it around 30-33), the try to get out in front of everything because they can't catch up with an inside fastball anymore. They start being dead pull hitters because they need to be to generate power and not get eaten up 100% of the time on inside heat.

Good explanation and I agree

Pioneer Dawg
07-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Verlander getting shelled again tonight.

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Verlander getting shelled again tonight.

Verlander is too busy with this to care. I hate that guy.

http://i.imgur.com/BeKebNc.gif