PDA

View Full Version : What do we have to do to avoid the QB curse in 2015?

Goat Holder
07-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Let's say Prescott has a great year this season, 9-3 or so. Even 8-4 with a win over Ole Miss. Not quite an NFL draft season, but just a good one (which is likely). We'll all expect more in 2015, as he'll be a senior and all. Schedule will be tougher, but manageable. How do we assure that we don't go down the same old path for MSU QBs like they have time and time again, flaming out their senior year after high expectations?

OL - Losing 2 3-year starters in Clausell and Day, as well as other seniors in Beckwith, Robinson and Muniz. This is most concerning to me. Our OL would likely be a Jr. Senior, Jr. Clayborn, Sr. Malone, Sr. Johnson, and ???? Choose between Desper, Carter, Flowers, Thomas, Warren, and incoming freshmen this year and next. Is this good enough? Maybe these guys have more experience and we know more after this next season.

RB - Not concerned about tailback. That'll depend heavily on OL anyway

WR - Lose Tubby and Johnson. Big losses, but I would think Bear, Ross and Morrow would be able to take over here. We have numbers. TE is OK too I would think.

All and all, I think we look OK except for the damn OL. Hopefully we bring in some JUCOs for depth, at minimum. Remember, it's a possibility that we don't have Collins next season if our 2014 D is anywhere near what we think it can be. That hire will be crucial if it comes to that point.

DudyDawg
07-08-2014, 10:35 AM
i think it really is all about keeping Dak healthy, this year and in the offseason leading up to next. Guys TR had hype but never the pure talent to back it up IMO. So I just think they never were going to reach expectations. I think Dak's talent will be equal to expectations and he seems to have the IT everyone talks about. So I think as long as he is healthy this year and in the offseason for camp he will be fine.

Political Hack
07-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Great thing about Mississippi??? Juco. Better hit it hard and hit it right on the OL next year.

Goat Holder
07-08-2014, 10:42 AM
i think it really is all about keeping Dak healthy, this year and in the offseason leading up to next. Guys TR had hype but never the pure talent to back it up IMO. So I just think they never were going to reach expectations. I think Dak's talent will be equal to expectations and he seems to have the IT everyone talks about. So I think as long as he is healthy this year and in the offseason for camp he will be fine.

You make a great point about being healthy, then bash Russell for talent. His problem was injury as well. He'd have put up decent numbers and we'd have likely beaten Auburn with him in the fold. Is he better long term than Prescott? Probably not, but he would have been LAST year, at least at the beginning of the year. Either way, he still didn't have the season we expected and was criticized heavily by fans. Same fate as Relf, Fant, Madkin, Taite, Jordan, etc. Even the dead injuns hurt Sleepy. Why should this year be any different? Tyson Lee and Matt Wyatt literally might be the most successful senior QBs we ever had, and they weren't even feature by the end. Many didn't even make it until their senior years. Even John Bond and Doug Smith flamed out. Did Rockey? I can't remember. But damn, it's epidemic.

It's mostly been due to lack of OL recrootin.

Dawg61
07-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Damn you skipped right over 2014 again and are back to worrying about 2015

http://yellowmobile.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/airplane_robert_hays_ted_striker_sweating_profusel y-e1378390057378.png

Coach34
07-08-2014, 10:51 AM
There is no curse- our QB's have been breaking records under Mullen

DudyDawg
07-08-2014, 10:59 AM
You make a great point about being healthy, then bash Russell for talent. His problem was injury as well. He'd have put up decent numbers and we'd have likely beaten Auburn with him in the fold. Is he better long term than Prescott? Probably not, but he would have been LAST year, at least at the beginning of the year. Either way, he still didn't have the season we expected and was criticized heavily by fans. Same fate as Relf, Fant, Madkin, Taite, Jordan, etc. Even the dead injuns hurt Sleepy. Why should this year be any different? Tyson Lee and Matt Wyatt literally might be the most successful senior QBs we ever had, and they weren't even feature by the end. Many didn't even make it until their senior years. Even John Bond and Doug Smith flamed out. Did Rockey? I can't remember. But damn, it's epidemic.

It's mostly been due to lack of OL recrootin.

Chill out. I never "bashed" Russell. I said his talent wasn't quite equal to the hype. That's how it is for tons and tons of college and pro athletes. Never bashed him. That would be me saying that he had zero talent, which I didn't say.

And I know he had injuries, but like I said I didn't think he had the talent to meet the expectations, especially with what he had around him

dparker
07-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Sacrifice a live chicken to Jobu!

TheRef
07-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Sacrifice a live chicken to Jobu!

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww86/statefan21/Jobu-Mississippi3.jpg

Goat Holder
07-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Relf rushed for 713 and threw for 1789 in 2010, 375 and 1212 in 2011. Mainly due to OL suckitude.
Russell threw for 2897 in 2012, 875 in 2013. Mainly due to injury, with some OL suckitude after Malone went down.

That's the point. Who cares about records. No MSU QBs ever seem to go out on top their senior years. QBs under Mullen have had a better exit than under Jackie though, so that's a good thing. Even still, when Relf graduated, everybody was looking forward to Russell. When Russell left, it's Prescott. When is the last time we had a QB graduate and the collective fanbase said, "Damn, it's going to suck to lose him."

That's right....never.

DudyDawg
07-08-2014, 11:11 AM
Dylan Favre*

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2014, 11:59 AM
I see Goat is working hard to win the Mr. Pessimistic Award.

Goat Holder
07-08-2014, 12:09 PM
I see Goat is working hard to win the Mr. Pessimistic Award.

Already won that, bitch.

Political Hack
07-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Already won that, bitch.

and getting a good start on the 2015 Domestic Abuse Award as well.

1bigdawg
07-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Many didn't even make it until their senior years. Even John Bond and Doug Smith flamed out. Did Rockey? I can't remember.

Rockey made it through his senior year, the Sun Bowl year. He may not have been hyped enough to fall into this category though.

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2014, 12:48 PM
and getting a good start on the 2015 Domestic Abuse Award as well.

Indeed. /obssessed with me //WMD v Goat Write-in Campaign

Goat Holder
07-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Indeed. /obssessed with me //WMD v Goat Write-in Campaign

Obsesset ho he ha LOLzzz11

You replied to me, Sally. Hey, did you cry when you saw that people were voting for you for Coach-in-waiting?

messageboardsuperhero
07-08-2014, 01:38 PM
I'm not going to start worrying about the health of Dak in 2015 until it's actually 2015.

Goat Holder
07-08-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm not going to start worrying about the health of Dak in 2015 until it's actually 2015.

Awesome post. Thread couldn't have made it without it.

The point of my post really, at its heart, was whether the OL and surrounding offensive playmakers was an ideal situation for a QB to finally thrive and go out as a winner as a senior. It wasn't about 'worry' of an injury.

ScoobaDawg
07-08-2014, 01:58 PM
I counter Goats little Miss State syndrome with a GUARANTEE yes i SAID GUARANTEE folks...

Dak will return for his senior season AND WIN the West and Heisman.

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Obsesset ho he ha LOLzzz11

You replied to me, Sally. Hey, did you cry when you saw that people were voting for you for Coach-in-waiting?

I found it pretty funny, actually. Considering it's a runaway battle between Will & Rouge, I'm not concerned at all. Hell, it's a message board, no need in taking it seriously. I figure it's kinda like rasslin: Any reaction is a good reaction. What you don't want is for no one to remember you. Or in your case, remember all 5 personalities, bitch.

ScoobaDawg
07-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Awesome post. Thread couldn't have made it without it.

The point of my post really, at its heart, was whether the OL and surrounding offensive playmakers was an ideal situation for a QB to finally thrive and go out as a winner as a senior. It wasn't about 'worry' of an injury.

That's like kinda worrying about how many breaths you have in life.

Goat Holder
07-08-2014, 02:11 PM
That's like kinda worrying about how many breaths you have in life.

No, it's more like discussing our offensive situation in 2015.

Goat Holder
07-08-2014, 02:12 PM
I counter Goats little Miss State syndrome with a GUARANTEE yes i SAID GUARANTEE folks...

Yes or no question.....Do we have a shitty track record with QBs? Simple. Yes. Or. No.

Goat Holder
07-08-2014, 02:15 PM
I found it pretty funny, actually. Considering it's a runaway battle between Will & Rouge, I'm not concerned at all. Hell, it's a message board, no need in taking it seriously. I figure it's kinda like rasslin: Any reaction is a good reaction. What you don't want is for no one to remember you. Or in your case, remember all 5 personalities, bitch.

So.....

You're scared to death you might win a message board award ("I'm not concerned at all")
You're whining about it
You take it seriously, thus, you're "no need in taking it seriously" quote
You've used brain cells thinking about what it takes to be remembered on a message board
Your retort to me is stupid

Got it. OBSSSESSED##111!!! Back to the thread now, c*ntball.

Dawg61
07-08-2014, 02:16 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/i1a25e.gif

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2014, 02:16 PM
So.....

You're scared to death you might win a message board award ("I'm not concerned at all")
You're whining about it
You take it seriously, thus, you're "no need in taking it seriously" quote
You've used brain cells thinking about what it takes to be remembered on a message board
Your retort to me is stupid

Got it. OBSSSESSED##111!!! Back to the thread now, ****ball.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/MSUDawgBurke/ImpliedFacepalm2_zpsb1e5da2d.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/MSUDawgBurke/media/ImpliedFacepalm2_zpsb1e5da2d.jpg.html)

Goat Holder
07-08-2014, 02:18 PM
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/MSUDawgBurke/ImpliedFacepalm2_zpsb1e5da2d.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/MSUDawgBurke/media/ImpliedFacepalm2_zpsb1e5da2d.jpg.html)

Quick, predictable, and used about 14 times in the past 3 days. Especially when you are especially finished.

Offshore Dawg
07-08-2014, 02:41 PM
From all I have read Dak is a MSU team first player. He will be here for his senior season, and do the right things.

Just my impression of the man from interviews.

Political Hack
07-08-2014, 02:49 PM

2015 Optimistic Award Winner... it's a runaway and not even close.

Political Hack
07-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Dak is not an NFL type QB. He may make a camp, but he's just not built for the NFL game. His strengths are not what you need to run an NFL team. There's close to a 0% chance he's going early in the NFL draft.

justwin
07-08-2014, 02:57 PM
best thread in a while...

To break the curse, I still think Mullen needs to utilize his power backs effectively. The QB should not be your power back a majority of the time @ MSU. MSU & Bama are unique in that WE will always have guys that can not only move the pile, AND breakaway in the open. Mullen's never had that option @ previous stops. Only two guys have succeeded at being the power RB playing QB in the SEC and they each won the Heisman in Tebow & Scam - the rest usually buckle. I don't think Dak has the ability to pound through guys like those two could for a whole season, but he has great scrambling ability which needs to be utilized.

Relf's senior season went to shit b/c he couldn't pass effectively. He just couldn't. Plus, he didn't really pitch it enough to save some of the licks he took. Yes, he could throw a hard ball, but that's not passing. More importantly, we didn't utilize Vick enough that year. He could break long runs for tds unlike Relf. Look @ that Auburn game. Mullen finally realized that Vick was the best player on offense and went to him late in the 2H. Mullen completely under utilized Vick vs Bama in his two years @ MSU as well. Can probably say the same thing about LSU too. I still won't be shocked if Vick has a better NFL career than both Richardson and Ingram. Back to Relf, he was runner first & foremost & when you take hits the way he took them, everything else fades especially his passing. Then, they would never pair Russell up with Vick for some strange reason when TR was in the game which basically eliminated the running game.

Tyler's senior year sucked b/c Mullen continued to run him as RB ~ injury after injury despite him being a QB. Keep in mind he did this with Milton, JRob, & Griffin/Shump on the roster ~ have all of those guys had growing pains, sure, but you have to give them the ball to develop them. Plus, Tyler Russell will go down as MSU QB with record TD passes dropped which didn't help. Again, the only time he paired him with a big RB was 2H @ Ark and the JRob went off and TR had 3 td passes dropped.

As for Dak, he's a little different. He's the best running QB we've had although he still needs to work on pitching it a little better. Dak can definitely take one to the house unlike Relf. Then, he's the 2nd best passer we've had under Mullen behind TR. In order to break the curse, JRob/Williams/Shump/Griffin need to get a ton of the carries this year & forward...it's really that simple. In a way, Mullen is going to be forced to play the bigger backs which should hopefully prevent the offense from stagnating since those 4 can move the pile.

As for the OL concerns in 2015, I think that mostly gets negated with a big RB. We should have enough OL bodies who can contribute. I like to tell myself that D. Robinson's lack of development is an anomaly that won't be recurring. OL like to run block especially for guys who fall forward unlike Perk or Holloway. All of the other pieces are in place this year & forward. Just need to use the power backs to break the curse. That's my two cents.

Before Dan, we never had a qb worth much. Credit where credit is due in that he has greatly increased the talent @ the QB position. Now, he just needs to use what MSU has always had in big time RBs to complement these QBs he's brought in.

Let's say Prescott has a great year this season, 9-3 or so. Even 8-4 with a win over Ole Miss. Not quite an NFL draft season, but just a good one (which is likely). We'll all expect more in 2015, as he'll be a senior and all. Schedule will be tougher, but manageable. How do we assure that we don't go down the same old path for MSU QBs like they have time and time again, flaming out their senior year after high expectations?

OL - Losing 2 3-year starters in Clausell and Day, as well as other seniors in Beckwith, Robinson and Muniz. This is most concerning to me. Our OL would likely be a Jr. Senior, Jr. Clayborn, Sr. Malone, Sr. Johnson, and ???? Choose between Desper, Carter, Flowers, Thomas, Warren, and incoming freshmen this year and next. Is this good enough? Maybe these guys have more experience and we know more after this next season.

RB - Not concerned about tailback. That'll depend heavily on OL anyway

WR - Lose Tubby and Johnson. Big losses, but I would think Bear, Ross and Morrow would be able to take over here. We have numbers. TE is OK too I would think.

All and all, I think we look OK except for the damn OL. Hopefully we bring in some JUCOs for depth, at minimum. Remember, it's a possibility that we don't have Collins next season if our 2014 D is anywhere near what we think it can be. That hire will be crucial if it comes to that point.

War Machine Dawg
07-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Quick, predictable, and used about 14 times in the past 3 days. Especially when you are especially finished.

http://i.imgur.com/w5JqQt6.gif

Political Hack
07-08-2014, 03:48 PM

To break the curse, I still think Mullen needs to utilize his power backs effectively. The QB should not be your power back a majority of the time @ MSU. MSU & Bama are unique in that WE will always have guys that can not only move the pile, AND breakaway in the open. Mullen's never had that option @ previous stops. Only two guys have succeeded at being the power RB playing QB in the SEC and they each won the Heisman in Tebow & Scam - the rest usually buckle. I don't think Dak has the ability to pound through guys like those two could for a whole season, but he has great scrambling ability which needs to be utilized.

Relf's senior season went to shit b/c he couldn't pass effectively. He just couldn't. Plus, he didn't really pitch it enough to save some of the licks he took. Yes, he could throw a hard ball, but that's not passing. More importantly, we didn't utilize Vick enough that year. He could break long runs for tds unlike Relf. Look @ that Auburn game. Mullen finally realized that Vick was the best player on offense and went to him late in the 2H. Mullen completely under utilized Vick vs Bama in his two years @ MSU as well. Can probably say the same thing about LSU too. I still won't be shocked if Vick has a better NFL career than both Richardson and Ingram. Back to Relf, he was runner first & foremost & when you take hits the way he took them, everything else fades especially his passing. Then, they would never pair Russell up with Vick for some strange reason when TR was in the game which basically eliminated the running game.

Tyler's senior year sucked b/c Mullen continued to run him as RB ~ injury after injury despite him being a QB. Keep in mind he did this with Milton, JRob, & Griffin/Shump on the roster ~ have all of those guys had growing pains, sure, but you have to give them the ball to develop them. Plus, Tyler Russell will go down as MSU QB with record TD passes dropped which didn't help. Again, the only time he paired him with a big RB was 2H @ Ark and the JRob went off and TR had 3 td passes dropped.

As for Dak, he's a little different. He's the best running QB we've had although he still needs to work on pitching it a little better. Dak can definitely take one to the house unlike Relf. Then, he's the 2nd best passer we've had under Mullen behind TR. In order to break the curse, JRob/Williams/Shump/Griffin need to get a ton of the carries this year & forward...it's really that simple. In a way, Mullen is going to be forced to play the bigger backs which should hopefully prevent the offense from stagnating since those 4 can move the pile.

As for the OL concerns in 2015, I think that mostly gets negated with a big RB. We should have enough OL bodies who can contribute. I like to tell myself that D. Robinson's lack of development is an anomaly that won't be recurring. OL like to run block especially for guys who fall forward unlike Perk or Holloway. All of the other pieces are in place this year & forward. Just need to use the power backs to break the curse. That's my two cents.

Before Dan, we never had a qb worth much. Credit where credit is due in that he has greatly increased the talent @ the QB position. Now, he just needs to use what MSU has always had in big time RBs to complement these QBs he's brought in.

It's a shame we never used the personnel to fit Tyler. He broke the single season passing record as JR and never had a chance as a SR. We should've run 5-wide a lot Relf's Sr season and Tyler's SR season. If they put 6 in the box, pass it. They put 5 in the box, ram it down their throats. That's about the only time we should've ever been running Tyler. He's not a read-option QB. He's a pocket QB that needs to sit back, get in a rhythm and deliver BB's. He was never given that chance.

Dak fits. He does everything Dan wants to do and he does it well. We're going to run him... a lot. We've got 5 SEC games in a row. He makes it through that gauntlet and we're rolling into mid-November at somewhere close to 7-2. I don't care if Dak keeps the ball 20 times against LSU, Auburn, and A&M... but he damn well better not be doing it against USM, UAB, and Kentucky. We can win those games by making big plays and taking care of the football. We don't need to grind it out.

Goat Holder
07-08-2014, 04:16 PM

Agree on Dak vs. Tebow/Cam. Dak's faster than Tebow but can't take the pounding. Cam was faster than both and could take the pounding, he's really not comparable as honestly, he's probably the best that has played in a few decades.

OL contributed to Relf getting hit too, big difference there from 2010 to 2011.

On the RBs....I feel you, but how do you explain Anthony Dixon? Mullen did not hesitate to hand it to him as often as possible. I think sometimes we overestimate the talent we have there, especially with J-Rob. But bottom line, yes, we have to get more production from that spot, one way or another, no matter if it's Mullen's fault for not playing them, not giving it to them, or just simply lack of talent.

Goat Holder
07-08-2014, 04:20 PM
It's a shame we never used the personnel to fit Tyler. He broke the single season passing record as JR and never had a chance as a SR. We should've run 5-wide a lot Relf's Sr season and Tyler's SR season. If they put 6 in the box, pass it. They put 5 in the box, ram it down their throats. That's about the only time we should've ever been running Tyler. He's not a read-option QB. He's a pocket QB that needs to sit back, get in a rhythm and deliver BB's. He was never given that chance.

I'm still not convinced whether it was simply the system, or Russell. Probably both. justwin is right that we ran him too much. But there again Tyson Lee ran the offense rather effectively in 2009, but he also had Dixon.

I think it COULD have worked with Russell, regardless of system....we simply didn't have the right pieces. A makeshift OL and non-bruising RBs, and no WR that could burn. Typical of MSU QBs. Many on this board disagree with me, and say that we DID have the pieces. Moot point now, and will continue to be as long as Mullen brings in his specific brand of player.

ETA: I'm much less sold on 'systems' than other posters. To me, it's talent. One system works against one team, but it doesn't against the next. Chances are that second team was more talented than the first. You obviously have to accentuate your strengths.

engie
07-08-2014, 04:25 PM
We should've run 5-wide a lot Relf's Sr season and Tyler's SR season.
I agree with almost all of our post other than this. You must remember the 5-wides from Tyler's JR year very differently from me to be wishing for them in his SR year... All I remember is the extremely high percentage of near decapitations on the ones he actually got off -- and a whole bunch of nonpositive plays. He didn't make decisions/release fast enough to be effective in 5-wide, especially with teams knowing they could send the house and didn't have to respect his legs. Ultimately, anticipation and release time was Tyler's undoing moreso than his mobility IMO.

justwin
07-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Yeah, Scam was the second coming of Bo Jackson. elite college talent.

As for Dixon, I don't think Dan gave it to him enough. Not knocking Lee, but Dixon was all world. He should've had 10 more carries/game vs UF, Houston, and Ark and that probably equals 2 more wins. Most importantly, DAN should've grabbed Lee by the facemask and said give it to Dixon no matter what on the final play vs LSU. I would've rather seen Boobie get stuffed than Lee.

Agree on Dak vs. Tebow/Cam. Dak's faster than Tebow but can't take the pounding. Cam was faster than both and could take the pounding, he's really not comparable as honestly, he's probably the best that has played in a few decades.

OL contributed to Relf getting hit too, big difference there from 2010 to 2011.

On the RBs....I feel you, but how do you explain Anthony Dixon? Mullen did not hesitate to hand it to him as often as possible. I think sometimes we overestimate the talent we have there, especially with J-Rob. But bottom line, yes, we have to get more production from that spot, one way or another, no matter if it's Mullen's fault for not playing them, not giving it to them, or just simply lack of talent.

engie
07-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Yeah, Scam was the second coming of Bo Jackson. elite college talent.

As for Dixon, I don't think Dan gave it to him enough. Not knocking Lee, but Dixon was all world. He should've had 10 more carries/game vs UF, Houston, and Ark and that probably equals 2 more wins. Most importantly, DAN should've grabbed Lee by the facemask and said give it to Dixon no matter what on the final play vs LSU. I would've rather seen Boobie get stuffed than Lee.

AD got 23.36 carries/game that year. That led the SEC by more than 1.7 per game -- and was 5th nationally. Outside of the last plays against LSU, I can't see wanting him to get the ball much more than he did...

Dawg61
07-08-2014, 05:40 PM

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Too+long+didn+t+read.+I+loved+this+gif.+Had+to_e13 f5c_3339187.gif

Political Hack
07-08-2014, 05:50 PM
I agree with almost all of our post other than this. You must remember the 5-wides from Tyler's JR year very differently from me to be wishing for them in his SR year... All I remember is the extremely high percentage of near decapitations on the ones he actually got off -- and a whole bunch of nonpositive plays. He didn't make decisions/release fast enough to be effective in 5-wide, especially with teams knowing they could send the house and didn't have to respect his legs. Ultimately, anticipation and release time was Tyler's undoing moreso than his mobility IMO.

there's no doubt he needed work in the short passing game and learning how to read presnap and make an instant decision with the ball, but as a SR you have to expect him to be able to do that. Even though he got drilled a lot, he held up well his Jr season and took hits pretty well inside the pocket. He can't take a hit worth a damn running downfield though. He also broke the single season passing record that year despite not releasing the ball as quickly as he should've. For whatever reason we quit running option routes with Tubby Tyler's Sr season. I'll never understand that.

ScoobaDawg
07-08-2014, 09:33 PM
2015 Optimistic Award Winner... it's a runaway and not even close.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Political Hack again.

JDog13
07-08-2014, 10:05 PM
I liked one of the bear trolls on twitter the other day. He said Bo accounted for 58 td's in 2 years, and laughed at us for thinking Dak could compete with Capn Bubble Screen. What's really funny is that Dak accounted for 25 this past year with his limited playing time due to Russell and injury. The point I was making to him was stats are nice.... but did you win the game? Who cares how many td's Dak or Dirt accounts for. Did they win? If we win, I'm happy with his stats. If we lose I'm gonna go all UM and scream, "But look at his stats!!1!"

hacker
07-09-2014, 07:58 AM
We have the best 4 QB's in MSU history on our roster right now, and we may sign Cam Newton next year. There is no curse.