PDA

View Full Version : LHP Jared Padgett

MsStateBaseball
07-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Genes interviewed him, he said we blew him away on his visit. He visited Georgia, florist, south carolina , can't think the others. Anyway, the way we communicated to him during the visit sold him. Our coaches, our players sold him. Mingione was the lead recruiter too. Pretty high praise about our program.

Goat Holder
07-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Moo U - We Are Just Better People

Will James say, why would anybody want to play for Coinz

engie
07-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Good to know. 115K's in 51 innings as a JR. Chose us over FSU, UF, and USCe. Tremendous player.

I thought we'd see it last year and didn't(outside of Collins somewhat) -- but I'm really looking forward to guys being immediate impact players for us for 3 years. We really haven't had that under Cohen yet...

MsStateBaseball
07-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Adam Frazier comes close. Had big hits as a freshman.

engie
07-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Adam Frazier comes close. Had big hits as a freshman.

In relatively sparse PT until the middle of the season if I'm remembering correctly, when he disappeared for awhile, and then re-established himself at the end.

ETA: Yep, 18 starts. At the time, I really thought Frazier, Bradford, and Norris all had a good chance to be bigtime players for us. Their stat lines were all pretty good that first year.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140708-2wrv-163kb.jpg

Wow at his plate discipline improvement. 3 BBs in almost 100 ABs that first year...

Pioneer Dawg
07-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Moo U - We Are Just Better People

Will James say, why would anybody want to play for Coinz

I believe I labeled him The Recruiter. Lets play Find-A-Quote Goat.. I said we may lose top power guys destined for DH by the way we have used the DH lately.. Anything about losing pitchers? Bueller? Bueller?

Use the quote feature. Helps to cut down bull shit

messageboardsuperhero
07-07-2014, 09:56 PM
I like what Riley, Pickett, Padgett, Mitchell Miller, etc. have been saying about us lately. We won't get all of them to campus, but none of them are just picking us as their "backup plan"- they all seem to be very excited about coming here.

Goat Holder
07-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Not really. The only real instant impact freshmen we've had were Bradford and Collins.

Humphreys had some big hits this year, Robson did in 2013. But neither were impact players in my mind. Have to be a regular starter to get that distinction.

Todd4State
07-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Good to know. 115K's in 51 innings as a JR. Chose us over FSU, UF, and USCe. Tremendous player.

I thought we'd see it last year and didn't(outside of Collins somewhat) -- but I'm really looking forward to guys being immediate impact players for us for 3 years. We really haven't had that under Cohen yet...

The CWS appearance is what is selling us. The freshmen in this years class for 2015 are really the first to come in after that appearance where our coaches could truly take advantage of it. That's why all of a sudden we saw Touki Touissant and Dylan Cease have a genuine interest in us last fall. And why we are seeing the players that we are seeing now.

Todd4State
07-07-2014, 11:45 PM
I believe I labeled him The Recruiter. Lets play Find-A-Quote Goat.. I said we may lose top power guys destined for DH by the way we have used the DH lately.. Anything about losing pitchers? Bueller? Bueller?

Use the quote feature. Helps to cut down bull shit

The DH as a guy that just hits is starting to become a thing of the past. Guys like David Ortiz are becoming dinosaurs. Even in MLB they are wanting more versatile guys that can play in the field and do other things besides just hit.

In college, EVERYBODY is going to have a hard time finding a true power guy traditional DH type because MLB is going to take them and PAY them in the draft. Especially the way offense in baseball is currently. What colleges are getting for the most part are power guys like Wes Rea and Sikes Orvis. In other words- guys that strike out a lot with ugly swings.

It's actually a lot easier to get a front line pitcher like Padgett to school than it is a guy like Vallot or Pickett at this time. Think about Vandy- you hear about all the pitchers that they get, but how come hitters don't want that top of the line education? It could change in 5-10 years, but that's what is going on right now.

Edit to say- no one that is a prospect that is in their right mind only wants to be a DH type of guy. You cut out half of the teams in baseball right off the bat and you diminish your value greatly.

Todd4State
07-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Not really. The only real instant impact freshmen we've had were Bradford and Collins.

Humphreys had some big hits this year, Robson did in 2013. But neither were impact players in my mind. Have to be a regular starter to get that distinction.

We're past due for one- that's for sure.

Pioneer Dawg
07-07-2014, 11:53 PM
The DH as a guy that just hits is starting to become a thing of the past. Guys like David Ortiz are becoming dinosaurs. Even in MLB they are wanting more versatile guys that can play in the field and do other things besides just hit.

In college, EVERYBODY is going to have a hard time finding a true power guy traditional DH type because MLB is going to take them and PAY them in the draft.

Does anybody else see the contradiction here? I mean it just jumps off the page. I didnt rip this from different posts it literally reads back to back like that in one post.

Todd4State
07-08-2014, 12:11 AM
Does anybody else see the contradiction here? I mean it just jumps off the page. I didnt rip this from different posts it literally reads back to back like that in one post.

Contradiction? Reid Humphreys is likely going to be our DH next year. We can also use him at first or third base. He also has power.

There is nothing mutually exclusive about versatility and power.

Pioneer Dawg
07-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Contradiction?

The contradiction comes in that you said the traditional DH that just hits like Papi are fading out and they want more versatile guys (which I agree with). You then followed up by saying colleges will have a hard time finding traditional DH power guys because the MLB will take them... Well if they are fading out in the MLB, the MLB won't be taking all of them.... Thats the contradiction in your post.

It should be EASIER for us to land those DH guys that can exploit the lack of power currently in the college game. That is NOT a current inefficiency in the pros. Guys like Flair and Garner are GREAT college DH's because they have what so many others lack.

Todd4State
07-08-2014, 01:45 AM
The contradiction comes in that you said the traditional DH that just hits like Papi are fading out and they want more versatile guys (which I agree with). You then followed up by saying colleges will have a hard time finding traditional DH power guys because the MLB will take them... Well if they are fading out in the MLB, the MLB won't be taking all of them.... Thats the contradiction in your post.

It should be EASIER for us to land those DH guys that can exploit the lack of power currently in the college game. That is NOT a current inefficiency in the pros. Guys like Flair and Garner are GREAT college DH's because they have what so many others lack.

OK, I think I understand now.

What's going to happen is MLB is still going to draft the elite power guys, but the ones that can't play defense are going to start ending up in AAA or Japan. Because they're still going to take that chance that a guy might develop his defense in the minors so they're still going to sign them out of high school. So, they're still not going to go to college.

For example, take Billy Butler. He would have been a PG 10 rated type guy out of high school, and would have been able to play first base at the SEC level for sure and would have been fine. However, he is a DH type on the MLB level. But for us as MSU to sign him out of high school would be every bit as difficult as getting Chase Vallot. So, even though Butler is a DH guy and people like him may be getting phased out, there's still not going to be a trickle down effect to college.

You are also vastly overestimating how good Flair and Garner are. As far as I can tell, Flair was not drafted by a MLB team this go around. Garner was not drafted out of high school. You would think that if they were all that good that MLB would at least take a flyer on them more than one time combined with the current offensive conditions.

Tearing up JUCO and summer league baseball is not the same as SEC baseball. Unless you are talking Cape Cod League.

Goat Holder
07-08-2014, 09:20 AM
You are also vastly overestimating how good Flair and Garner are. As far as I can tell, Flair was not drafted by a MLB team this go around. Garner was not drafted out of high school. You would think that if they were all that good that MLB would at least take a flyer on them more than one time combined with the current offensive conditions.

This. They aren't even in Papi's or any of those type guys' league. Shit, they aren't even in Trey Porter's league.

I think what Todd meant about the MLB DHs becoming dinosaurs, is that the MLB is going to take the chances on the guys that can hit. If they can't play the field, they might not make it, but they'll at least take the chance on them. Just like arm strength, speed, etc. The 5 tools in essence.

Pioneer Dawg
07-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Skies Orvis didn't get drafted either. There are goons like him who wouldn't be able to hit dick at the next level but could provide good production for us. And that's not to say Garner or Flair couldn't do it at the next level just that the "traditional DH" can be a valuable asset in the college game.