PDA

View Full Version : Mike minor

msstate7
07-07-2014, 07:17 PM
Continues to give up hr's. I'm sick of waiting on him. He needs to work on this in AAA. Hale is a better option right now.

(Hopefully if I keep ripping him, he'll make me out to be a dummy)

War Machine Dawg
07-07-2014, 07:34 PM
He's a fly ball pitcher, meaning he's going to give up homers. Get over it. The big thing for him is trying to make sure they're limited to solo HRs, not the 2 and 3-run shots. You can survive solo shots.

msstate7
07-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Lefties hitting over .370 on him. 4.72 era

Hale as a starter has been outstanding. Minor has been straight garbage. Hale's era is 3.02 and it's inflated from his relief appearances

War Machine Dawg
07-07-2014, 07:46 PM
I'm not saying Minor's been good this year. He clearly hasn't. And yes, Hale has been better and deserves to be in the rotation, but I'd put him in ahead of Harang. But if you're waiting on Minor to stop giving up HRs, you better get comfortable because you're gonna be waiting a long time. I'm more concerned with how many balls in general are being squared up against him. I don't know if he needs a DL stint or what, but something clearly isn't right with him.

msstate7
07-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Hopefully minor has figured it out. He's turned this start around. I want minor in the rotation, but I want him right.

Pioneer Dawg
07-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Lefties hitting over .370 on him. 4.72 era

Hale as a starter has been outstanding. Minor has been straight garbage. Hale's era is 3.02 and it's inflated from his relief appearances

Relief Appearances help to lower ERA, not raise it.

msstate7
07-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Relief Appearances help to lower ERA, not raise it.
Not when it comes to hale. Go read your stats

War Machine Dawg
07-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Hopefully minor has figured it out. He's turned this start around. I want minor in the rotation, but I want him right.

On this, we all agree. But aGAIN, he's always going to give up HRs. It's about limiting them to solo shots, which he did a good job of last year. We desperately need him to be right to have any sort of chance of making the postseason and making a run when/if we get there.

Pioneer Dawg
07-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Not when it comes to hale. Go read your stats

That may be, but in general its the other way.

And I see if you take away one game where he blew up his RP ERA is down in the 2.3's

Hale still not a quality SP option IMO either way it goes. His xFIP as a SP is 4.28. Minor 3.50..

Minor's BABIP over the last month is .447.. He's still averaging over 10K/9 in that time.. HR/FB% of 21% over the same time too. Just one of those stretches where if Fredi "goes with the hot hand" and puts in Hale for Minor he will get burned.. Pretty badly in this case. Hale only getting 3.6 K/9 over the last month.

msstate7
07-07-2014, 08:01 PM
That may be, but in general its the other way.

And I see if you take away one game where he blew up his RP ERA is down in the 2.3's

Hale still not a quality SP option IMO either way it goes. His xFIP as a SP is 4.28. Minor 3.50..

Minor's BABIP over the last month is .447.. He's still averaging over 10K/9 in that time.. HR/FB% of 21% over the same time too. Just one of those stretches where if Fredi "goes with the hot hand" and puts in Hale for Minor he will get burned.. Pretty badly in this case. Hale only getting 3.6 K/9 over the last month.

Hale and minor are complete opposites. Minor k & flyball guy. Hale gets groundballs.

Pioneer Dawg
07-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Hale and minor are complete opposites. Minor k & flyball guy. Hale gets groundballs.

What exactly are you responding to? All indicators say Minor is fine just going through a bad run in with the luck dragon and a knee jerk reaction from Fredi will result in more bad results for ATL

msstate7
07-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Minor batting in 7th down by 2. Great call fredi

msstate7
07-07-2014, 08:06 PM
What exactly are you responding to? All indicators say Minor is fine just going through a bad run in with the luck dragon and a knee jerk reaction from Fredi will result in more bad results for ATL

You said hale's k rate sucked. He isn't a k guy. Some pitchers get guys out without striking them out.

Pioneer Dawg
07-07-2014, 08:16 PM
You said hale's k rate sucked. He isn't a k guy. Some pitchers get guys out without striking them out.

I know but it's not as positive of an out. xFIP is a really good projection of going forward value and Minor leads Hale by a lot. Tonight is showing that. Just an outlier stretch of the luck factor. Thats why the "hot hand" approach is frowned upon. Goes back to the streak chapter in the other thread.

msstate7
07-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Gotta give minor credit. He really pitched well after the hr. Please be back!

shoeless joe
07-07-2014, 09:37 PM
He is a good pitcher. He showed tonite what he can do when he can command the zone. He struggled with this early on tonite but he was able to get out only allowing 1. Then the homer, which some have said he's gonna give those up. I think for the braves to do what they are capable of they will need minor in august and September.

Pioneer Dawg
07-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Better bring in Kimbrel

Pioneer Dawg
07-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Better bring in Kimbrel

Saving the closer for the precious "save" cost em tonight

msstate7
07-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Better bring in Kimbrel

All on fredi. Avilan in the 8th!!! What a joke

War Machine Dawg
07-07-2014, 11:11 PM
All on fredi. Avilan in the 8th!!! What a joke

Who else could have pitched the 8th? I'd have preferred Walden, but I'm assuming he was unavailable tonight. Fairly certain he'd thrown at least 3, maybe 4 days in a row. That means it's Avilan by default. You know Fredi isn't putting rookies like Shae Simmons into the game in that spot.

KB21
07-07-2014, 11:11 PM
I'm not saying Minor's been good this year. He clearly hasn't. And yes, Hale has been better and deserves to be in the rotation, but I'd put him in ahead of Harang. But if you're waiting on Minor to stop giving up HRs, you better get comfortable because you're gonna be waiting a long time. I'm more concerned with how many balls in general are being squared up against him. I don't know if he needs a DL stint or what, but something clearly isn't right with him.

Mike Minor is fine. He's been the victim of some fluke home runs, but his peripherals are actually better than they were last year. His xFIP this year is 3.50. His strike outs per 9 innings rate has gone up over last year as well. What's happened to him is that he has had some fluke home runs hit off him. His typical HR/FB rate has been about 8%, which is what it was last year. This year, that has gone up to 16%. His xFIP suggests that this will regress over time towards his mean, and once it does, he will be the near dominant pitcher he was over the latter part of 2012 and through 2013.

msstate7
07-07-2014, 11:17 PM
Who else could have pitched the 8th? I'd have preferred Walden, but I'm assuming he was unavailable tonight. Fairly certain he'd thrown at least 3, maybe 4 days in a row. That means it's Avilan by default. You know Fredi isn't putting rookies like Shae Simmons into the game in that spot.

Walden came in with 2 outs in 8th. He should've entered with 0 outs.

msstate7
07-07-2014, 11:19 PM
Mike Minor is fine. He's been the victim of some fluke home runs, but his peripherals are actually better than they were last year. His xFIP this year is 3.50. His strike outs per 9 innings rate has gone up over last year as well. What's happened to him is that he has had some fluke home runs hit off him. His typical HR/FB rate has been about 8%, which is what it was last year. This year, that has gone up to 16%. His xFIP suggests that this will regress over time towards his mean, and once it does, he will be the near dominant pitcher he was over the latter part of 2012 and through 2013.

Those fluke hr's were punished. I wouldn't call them flukes. I do believe minor will turn it around though

War Machine Dawg
07-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Walden came in with 2 outs in 8th. He should've entered with 0 outs.

Well hell, I missed it. Fredi really is an idiot if Walden was available tonight. He should absolutely be our #1 choice to setup Kimbrel in the 8th.

War Machine Dawg
07-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Those fluke hr's were punished. I wouldn't call them flukes. I do believe minor will turn it around though

But once aGAIN, he's a fly ball pitcher. Homeruns are part of the territory. It's more that he's allowed the multi-run shot instead of the solo shot. And David Wright is a freaking Braves killer, so I'm not going to criticize Minor too much for giving up a solo shot to him.

msstate7
07-07-2014, 11:31 PM
But once aGAIN, he's a fly ball pitcher. Homeruns are part of the territory. It's more that he's allowed the multi-run shot instead of the solo shot. And David Wright is a freaking Braves killer, so I'm not going to criticize Minor too much for giving up a solo shot to him.

I'm just saying they werent flukes. Minor has been serving up meatballs. I really like how he finished tonight though.

Pioneer Dawg
07-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Fredi really is an idiot if Walden was available tonight. He should absolutely be our #1 choice to setup Kimbrel in the 8th.

But he's got the "gut instincts" to go against the studies and "knows" when a player will be hot or cold and when that streak will end

msstate7
07-07-2014, 11:33 PM
But he's got the "gut instincts" to go against the studies and "knows" when a player will be hot or cold and when that streak will end

It was r, l, and l coming up for mets, so fredi went with lefty. Walden is very good vs lefties though. Just a dumb, dumb move

msstate7
07-12-2014, 03:30 PM
He is complete garbage this year

msstate7
07-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Just terrible

msstate7
07-12-2014, 05:11 PM
4.92 era now. I'm really ready to give hale a few starts and give minor a shot later

War Machine Dawg
07-12-2014, 06:26 PM
4.92 era now. I'm really ready to give hale a few starts and give minor a shot later

I'll give him a pass today. He was pitching in Wrigley. Considering 17 total runs were scored, I'm guessing the wind was blowing out, as usual. That park is a launching pad when the wind is blowing out.

msstate7
07-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Once again...

2.1 innings 5 hits 3 ER

Era now 5.04

Get him out of the rotation. Minor needs to be in AAA

msstate7
07-22-2014, 07:03 PM
2.2 6 h 4 er

Era now 5.13

msstate7
07-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Jj jurrjens, tommy Hanson, and now mike minor ...

War Machine Dawg
07-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Jj jurrjens, tommy Hanson, and now mike minor ...

Wayyyyy too early to put minor into that group. That said, he's sucked for 8 starts in a row now. Dunno if he's eligible to be sent down, but if he is, he needs to go work out of this funk in AAA. For the few "bad luck" type starts he's had, the majority have been him just getting shelled. Time to give Hale a shot. Plus, if Minor gets it going again in AAA, we can get Harang out of the rotation. Win-win.

Political Hack
07-22-2014, 07:59 PM
he's been rough. hard to watch.

msstate7
07-22-2014, 08:11 PM
I'd be calling Tampa bay trying to send minor, bethancourt, and another prospect for price

War Machine Dawg
07-22-2014, 11:05 PM
I'd be calling Tampa bay trying to send minor, bethancourt, and another prospect for price

The problem with that is we'll never be able to re-sign Price. You're mortgaging the future for 2-3 months. The ONLY way I'd be in favor of that move is if we could work out an extension beforehand. Plus, we have bigger needs than the rotation - most notably a lefty in the bullpen. Andrew Miller is the one we should be going after hard.

Btw, I liked seeing La Stella in the 2-hole tonight. He looked good there. Hope this move works out long term.

Political Hack
07-23-2014, 08:26 AM
if LaStella can stay and produce in the 2-hole it helps so much.