Drugdog
05-17-2013, 06:41 AM
With the Home plate blind mice?

Spider-Man
05-17-2013, 07:43 AM
He was pissed. Was Bradford safe?

DCdawg
05-17-2013, 08:53 AM
CT was safe by a mile. I believe the replay can be found on WCBI's website.

DCdawg
05-17-2013, 09:01 AM
Found it. Here's a link to the replay.

http://www.wcbi.com/wordpress/video?key=8p37frim

ghostofjackie
05-17-2013, 09:04 AM
I have not seen Cohen that mad in a long time. From HailState TV, the view of the play was not that good. It looked like he was tagged on the arm after his feet, calf, and rear end had already all slid across home plate. I'd like to see a better angle because that seemed like a really bad call.

Ronny
05-17-2013, 09:14 AM
...was a type of system in place in both MLB & college baseball where if the umpire makes a call like this asshole made against CT, or that like MLB umpire made against Armando Galarraga that cost him his perfect game...

...these incompetent shitheads should be immediately fired from the game & an alternate-in-waiting umpire should be allowed to step in & take their place.

Included, I've always found it ironic that a baseball umpire can throw a coach or player out of the game for acting like an asshole, but a baseball umpire possesses the unique privilege of acting an asshole the whole game & nobody anywhere has the power to do anything about it.

hometowndawg
05-17-2013, 09:19 AM
From the looks of that WCBI replay he didnt slide across the plate with his feet/butt but tried to slid around and hit the plate with his hand. He definitely beat the throw to home but if he tried to touch the plate with his hand then it looks like the right call was made.

Original48
05-17-2013, 09:32 AM
From the looks of that WCBI replay he didnt slide across the plate with his feet/butt but tried to slid around and hit the plate with his hand. He definitely beat the throw to home but if he tried to touch the plate with his hand then it looks like the right call was made.
I gotta agree with hometown here..and believe me I don't want to. It looks from the WCBI replay that CT slides to the right of the plate and passes the plate as he reaches with his left hand. If the catcher did swipe that left arm then the correct call was made from the view I saw here. Many have posted that CT was loafing to third, starting to pull up, and it shouldn't have been a close play at all.

Ronny
05-17-2013, 09:32 AM

..not going to get into an internet argument over a game MSU won, but the right call was NOT made.

Sandman14
05-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Seems pretty obvious he's safe. Unless you have footage demonstrating that his feet missed home plate. That didn't seem to be the call...that he missed home plate with his feet...That would be an egregious error by CT to slide feet first and miss the plate with his feet. That's how you are trying to beat the tag.

I disagree that he was loafing rounding third. To me it appeared he was just motoring down a little to make the turn seamlessly. Clearly he's no Renfroe rounding third, but I think it's unfair to say he was "loafing" and that's what cost us. Pretty clear to me what cost us was the ump screwjobbing us.

hometowndawg
05-17-2013, 11:18 AM
I wish I could say he was safe too but from the WCBI video that is linked in this thread he looks out. Yes he slide feet first but he appears not to slide over the plate. I was at the game last night and I thought as well as everyone else that he was safe but from the video he was out. If you continue watching the video you will see where Ammo does the exact same slide (feet first but only touching the plate with his hand) that CT did. Given this evidence (and as much as I hate to say it) I conclude that the correct call was made

FFF
05-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Seems pretty obvious he's safe. Unless you have footage demonstrating that his feet missed home plate. That didn't seem to be the call...that he missed home plate with his feet...That would be an egregious error by CT to slide feet first and miss the plate with his feet. That's how you are trying to beat the tag.

I disagree that he was loafing rounding third. To me it appeared he was just motoring down a little to make the turn seamlessly. Clearly he's no Renfroe rounding third, but I think it's unfair to say he was "loafing" and that's what cost us. Pretty clear to me what cost us was the ump screwjobbing us.

Last night it was obvious his feet/butt never touched the plate. It's common practice to slide behind it and reach with your hand in a tag situation. And judging by the replay, the right call appears to have been made because that tag got him before his hand touched the ground. It looked horrible last night, but seeing this, it seems to me mr. Blue got it right.

Todd4State
05-17-2013, 11:42 AM
...was a type of system in place in both MLB & college baseball where if the umpire makes a call like this asshole made against CT, or that like MLB umpire made against Armando Galarraga that cost him his perfect game...

...these incompetent shitheads should be immediately fired from the game & an alternate-in-waiting umpire should be allowed to step in & take their place.

Included, I've always found it ironic that a baseball umpire can throw a coach or player out of the game for acting like an asshole, but a baseball umpire possesses the unique privilege of acting an asshole the whole game & nobody anywhere has the power to do anything about it.

In MLB, the problem is the umpires are unionized.

FFF
05-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Acting an "asshole" is extremely rare at most levels, but especially at higher levels. Regardless of whether the umpire last night was right or not, that was an insanely close call. It is IMPOSSIBLE... Ill say it again... IMPOSSIBLE to get every call right. MLB umpires spend years in training and are surprisingly accurate, and college umpires aren't far behind.... Calls are still missed though because people arent perfect. Difference is, college umpires are not full time umpires. So before you get this notion they make calls because they wanna be an ass, you are totally wrong.

The problem is, fans and coaches see calls through biased lenses... Case in point... We've gotten a few gifts at first base (one against LSU this year really stands out), but no one wearing maroon said a word about it or condemned the umpire for being wrong. However, you let a marginal call go against us and the world explodes.

The play on CT looked horrible in person, but really, it was much closer than it seems, an after looking at the replay, you can make a pretty strong case he was right. An umpires job is to be unbiased and right. I've called baseball for years an some of the worst ass chewing I've gotten have been on calls I knew were right.

Sandman14
05-17-2013, 12:29 PM
well damn, then I think CT's fault was in a poor effort to get to the plate on his slide, not rounding 3rd. he was there in plenty of time, he just didn't touch the plate apparently.

Todd4State
05-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Acting an "asshole" is extremely rare at most levels, but especially at higher levels. Regardless of whether the umpire last night was right or not, that was an insanely close call. It is IMPOSSIBLE... Ill say it again... IMPOSSIBLE to get every call right. MLB umpires spend years in training and are surprisingly accurate, and college umpires aren't far behind.... Calls are still missed though because people arent perfect. Difference is, college umpires are not full time umpires. So before you get this notion they make calls because they wanna be an ass, you are totally wrong.

The problem is, fans and coaches see calls through biased lenses... Case in point... We've gotten a few gifts at first base (one against LSU this year really stands out), but no one wearing maroon said a word about it or condemned the umpire for being wrong. However, you let a marginal call go against us and the world explodes.

The play on CT looked horrible in person, but really, it was much closer than it seems, an after looking at the replay, you can make a pretty strong case he was right. An umpires job is to be unbiased and right. I've called baseball for years an some of the worst ass chewing I've gotten have been on calls I knew were right.

Angel Hernandez is awful at the MLB level. But otherwise, I totally agree.

FFF
05-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Angel Hernandez is awful at the MLB level. But otherwise, I totally agree.

And I would agree with that. There are always exceptions.

I'd challenge anyone to watch the next MLB game between two teams you don't care at all about... Listen to the crowd. I guarantee you will hear boos over a call where the umpire is right... You might even hear commentators disagree.. But in most instances, the umpire will be right an you will say to yourself "why is everyone so upset? The umpire got it right."