PDA

View Full Version : A fairer SEC Tournament format

Quaoarsking
05-17-2013, 06:39 AM
So last year's format was pretty ridiculous, with all the early byes and then shifting to single elimination for the semis. This year's isn't much better with the single-to-double-to-single elimination format either.

I propose take all 14 teams, and make it double elimination for the top 4, and single elimination for the other 10. Essentially, the bottom 10 start out in the loser's bracket.

It would take 6 games to whittle the loser's bracket down to 4 teams, and you would have 4 in winner's bracket and 4 in the loser's. The old 8-team format would get to that 4/4 situation after 4 games, so my proposal gives all 14 teams a chance, doesn't have bizarre shifts from single and double elimination and back to single, gives the ability to lose consistently to the top 4 teams (those who earn it), and only takes 2 games longer than the old format, so it could be done in 5 days.

Ronny
05-17-2013, 09:47 AM
..all 14 teams should be allowed to participate, & all 14 teams should be subjected to the double elimination format.

In order to deal with this inconvenience, the first 2 days of the tourney are played at Hoover & a nearby park simultaneously (I don't know what college in Alabama is closest to Hoover, but you can play the off-site games there, if they grant permission).

Then after whatever teams have concluded their double-elimination process @ the off-site location, the rest of the tournament is played at Hoover exclusively.

The only alternative I ca think of is a "pool play" tournament like they have in the ACC.

Disclaimer: I have read articles on how pool play operates yet still can't figure it out.

FlabLoser
05-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Good grief. This isn't hard. Why so crazy...

The Croom Diaries
05-17-2013, 10:01 AM
A 14 team double elimination tournament would be a beast to try to complete. That would be 24-25 games.

I like pool play. If we had 8 teams like the ACC you just play a round robin on Wed, Thurs Fri and Sat then you have the two remaining teams meet for the championship on Sunday.

I wish we would use pool play for Regionals. I hate the fact that a 4 seed with a really great #1 pitcher and nothing else could upset the #1 and they have to go through the loser's bracket to win it. I'd rather see everyone play a round robin Friday-Sunday.
If one team is 3-0 and the rest are 1-2 then the 3-0 team goes ahead and advances.
If one team is 3-0, one is 2-1, one is 1-2 and one is 0-3 then you have the 3-0 and 2-1 teams play on Monday and the 2-1 team has to beat the 3-0 team twice.
If two teams are 2-1 and two teams are 1-2 then you have a winner take all between the 2-1 teams on Monday.
If you have three 2-1 teams and one 0-3 team then the highest seeded 2-1 team gets a bye on Monday while the other two play and then play a winner take all on Tuesday.

I'm gonna write a post about this on FWtCT the week of Regionals and be more detailed, but I think this is so much better than double elimination, at least for the Regional. And I think a pool play can work better for SECT too, it kind of keeps you from playing a ton of games like we did last year to win it - you basically play 3 games like you would for a weekend series, and if you go to the championship you play 4 games.

Ronny
05-17-2013, 12:16 PM
A 14 team double elimination tournament would be a beast to try to complete. That would be 24-25 games.

I like pool play. If we had 8 teams like the ACC you just play a round robin on Wed, Thurs Fri and Sat then you have the two remaining teams meet for the championship on Sunday.

I wish we would use pool play for Regionals. I hate the fact that a 4 seed with a really great #1 pitcher and nothing else could upset the #1 and they have to go through the loser's bracket to win it. I'd rather see everyone play a round robin Friday-Sunday.
If one team is 3-0 and the rest are 1-2 then the 3-0 team goes ahead and advances.
If one team is 3-0, one is 2-1, one is 1-2 and one is 0-3 then you have the 3-0 and 2-1 teams play on Monday and the 2-1 team has to beat the 3-0 team twice.
If two teams are 2-1 and two teams are 1-2 then you have a winner take all between the 2-1 teams on Monday.
If you have three 2-1 teams and one 0-3 team then the highest seeded 2-1 team gets a bye on Monday while the other two play and then play a winner take all on Tuesday.

I'm gonna write a post about this on FWtCT the week of Regionals and be more detailed, but I think this is so much better than double elimination, at least for the Regional. And I think a pool play can work better for SECT too, it kind of keeps you from playing a ton of games like we did last year to win it - you basically play 3 games like you would for a weekend series, and if you go to the championship you play 4 games.

..Wouldn't be a beast if the first 2 days of the tournament is being playing @ Hoover & another local field simultaneously.

That's the only way to allow 14 teams to participate in a 14 team double elimimation format....at the beginning of the tournament, you have to play several games outside the Hoover facility. Then once the elimination process has worked itself out, you move the tournament in its entirety to Hoover.

Will the SEC ever adopt this format? Probably not. Too much politics & financial finagling involved in securing the extra park.

But if the SEC really wants all its 14 teams to participate in a double elimination baseball tournament, I've provided the blueprint.

Sandman14
05-17-2013, 03:02 PM
As much fun as it is to win it, I think we should forfeit playing in it. It only makes your team tired to play deep into the tourney, and losing only hurts you as well, so nothing good can come of it unless you don't have plans to make Omaha.

Sorry to have such a jaded view, but the worst thing that could happen to us is to battle out of the loser's bracket and absolutely burn up our staff with a regional starting only five days later. I'd rather have a nice intrasquad scrimmage while the SEC tourney is going on and let everyone play around and sharpen up.

Ronny
05-17-2013, 03:22 PM
As much fun as it is to win it, I think we should forfeit playing in it. It only makes your team tired to play deep into the tourney, and losing only hurts you as well, so nothing good can come of it unless you don't have plans to make Omaha.

Sorry to have such a jaded view, but the worst thing that could happen to us is to battle out of the loser's bracket and absolutely burn up our staff with a regional starting only five days later. I'd rather have a nice intrasquad scrimmage while the SEC tourney is going on and let everyone play around and sharpen up.

not how it works.

You don't get to rationalilze yourself out of games. (Unless a torrential downpour or tornado watches have driven you to cancellation).

You play what is on the schedule.

Playing in the SECT is on our schedule, therefore we show up to play in it.

Everybody is at an equal disadvantage. You think Vandy wants to throw their aces against the #11 & #12 seeds? If things transpire a certain way, they will be forced to do it.

If you are going to honor the integrity of the game, you man up & do your duty. No matter how inconvenient.

dickiedawg
05-17-2013, 03:54 PM
*Snickers* You said duty.

Sandman14
05-17-2013, 04:20 PM
not how it works.

You don't get to rationalilze yourself out of games. (Unless a torrential downpour or tornado watches have driven you to cancellation).

You play what is on the schedule.

Playing in the SECT is on our schedule, therefore we show up to play in it.

Everybody is at an equal disadvantage. You think Vandy wants to throw their aces against the #11 & #12 seeds? If things transpire a certain way, they will be forced to do it.

If you are going to honor the integrity of the game, you man up & do your duty. No matter how inconvenient.

I don't care about honor and doodie. I just want a national title.

I recognize that what I have proposed will never occur, but that does not mean we shouldn't show up and throw shelly, woody, and evan mitchell, and conserve all of our pitchers we will rely on most heavily for when it matters. same concept as not pitching your weekend starters during the mid-week.