PDA

View Full Version : Some encouraging news about our recruits hitting these home runs

Todd4State
07-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Per Gene, they are using the new flat seamed ball in the Perfect Game Tournament.

Also, he did a story on Mitchell Miller who is actually in the 2016 class, but because of his age, he will be draft eligible after his sophomore year in college.

I haven't talked about him a lot, but he's a really good prospect and a weekend starter type of guy. He's LH and is 6'4" and throws in the upper 80's. It basically came down to us and Virginia. He wants to go to college, so he's a very minimal draft risk. He's from Georgia which is a very good baseball state.

Goat Holder
07-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Maybe this will solve the TDA issues. I still think there will be disproportionate numbers of HR hit up there, but at least it will help. I just want to see SOME HRs, not roidball of the old days.

Todd4State
07-07-2014, 02:51 PM
ESPN claims that the ball is going to carry 15-20 feet, and I have no idea what their source is on that. But they keep saying it over and over again.

I just want a happy medium where it's normal baseball. Both extremes aren't good. Roidball encouraged use of steroids and other substances that are now banned. I remember some guy for LSU hitting a home run off of Jeremy Jackson opposite field on one knee. That's just ridiculous.

But the other extreme isn't good either. We had Girodo pitching batting practice to Indiana because we knew they weren't going to hit it out.

I do like that Cohen seems to be ahead of the curve on this kind of thing. People complain about punch and judy hitters, but we've gone to two SR's, the National Championship series, and won the SEC Tournament because we were built for the style of play at the time. Now that things are changing, we're going to have a team that has more power, but at the same time, we're not neglecting the speed aspect.

CadaverDawg
07-07-2014, 03:00 PM
ESPN claims that the ball is going to carry 15-20 feet, and I have no idea what their source is on that. But they keep saying it over and over again.

I just want a happy medium where it's normal baseball. Both extremes aren't good. Roidball encouraged use of steroids and other substances that are now banned. I remember some guy for LSU hitting a home run off of Jeremy Jackson opposite field on one knee. That's just ridiculous.

But the other extreme isn't good either. We had Girodo pitching batting practice to Indiana because we knew they weren't going to hit it out.

I do like that Cohen seems to be ahead of the curve on this kind of thing. People complain about punch and judy hitters, but we've gone to two SR's, the National Championship series, and won the SEC Tournament because we were built for the style of play at the time. Now that things are changing, we're going to have a team that has more power, but at the same time, we're not neglecting the speed aspect.

Their source is the sports science guys, or whoever gave those guys their info. They based it on seam size and wind resistance, equalling in roughly 15-20 feet on an average fly ball. Not exact by any means, but I think that's why they're repeating it.

Goat Holder
07-07-2014, 03:03 PM

And it should have been 3 Super Regionals after this past year. Funny enough, it was our 2 'supposed-to-be' power hitters (Rea/Detz), that actually held us back this year, not our punch and judy guys. Those guys did their jobs and we STILL almost made a Super (and like I said, probably should have had we not gift-wrapped ULL two games). Shit, if just Preston Brown hadn't gotten hurt, we probably host.

Offshore Dawg
07-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Will we return to the results of gorilla ball. this seems to me that all teams will score 1,2, or 3 more runs per game. Do any of you see it any different.

Todd4State
07-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Will we return to the results of gorilla ball. this seems to me that all teams will score 1,2, or 3 more runs per game. Do any of you see it any different.

I think scoring will be up, and home runs will be up, but I don't think it will be at gorilla ball proportions.

Pioneer Dawg
07-07-2014, 06:00 PM
I think we'll be 20% or less back to where we were pre BBCOR. The bats and their trampoline are a bigger factor into it than the balls and their seams

ScoobaDawg
07-07-2014, 06:40 PM
I think we'll be 20% or less back to where we were pre BBCOR. The bats and their trampoline are a bigger factor into it than the balls and their seams

Please provide the Sabermetrics for this statement.

CadaverDawg
07-07-2014, 06:48 PM

Please start posting more

engie
07-07-2014, 07:10 PM

He can't. Time will tell that he's wrong on this -- although he is conveniently letting his percentages creep up now -- and I'm guessing he will continue to do so, so when he's wrong, he can still be "right". His number was 10-15% initially.

It'll be closer to what it was in 09 than what it was to last year. Not gorilla ball -- but within reason.

Pioneer Dawg
07-07-2014, 07:31 PM
His number was 10-15% initially.

How very Todd of you. I believe our established predictions are set in that thread. You know this. So therefore this is just an attempt at "cred".

Pioneer Dawg
07-07-2014, 07:34 PM

I would respond by showing your lack of logical coherent thought, but I don't want another "infraction" for hurting a mod's feelings.

engie
07-07-2014, 07:35 PM
How very Todd of you. I believe our established predictions are set in that thread. You know this. So therefore this is just an attempt at "cred".

So you are now arguing that your initial prediction in that thread is 20% and not 10-15%?

Pioneer Dawg
07-07-2014, 07:43 PM
So you are now arguing that your initial prediction in that thread is 20% and not 10-15%?

No I'm saying that your 10-15 number came as a throwaway number just discussing the topic broadly as saying I dont think it will be that great of a difference......When it came time to actually PREDICT the numbers I said 20%.

But then again you know this, just being the classic nitpicky little bitch like always. Of course this will now be "moving the goalposts" I'm sure to build your "cred" with the cheerleaders. Its sad that it means so much to you and Todd.

Very similar to "You said Lindgren would be a 1st rounder and he WASNT, hahahaha dumbass" If it turns out that offense is up 25% that makes me 6x more right than you on this. Just like I was more right than anybody else on Lindgren.

engie
07-07-2014, 08:07 PM
No I'm saying that your 10-15 number came as a throwaway number just discussing the topic broadly as saying I dont think it will be that great of a difference......When it came time to actually PREDICT the numbers I said 20%.
Sure you don't want to change it again?

But then again you know this, just being the classic nitpicky little bitch like always.
That's hilarious coming from you. Especially right before the rest of the bullshit you posted.

Of course this will now be "moving the goalposts" I'm sure to build your "cred" with the cheerleaders. Its sad that it means so much to you and Todd.
It's so important to me and Todd -- yet you are the only person that ever talks about any of this? And you constantly derail good baseball threads over it? Your obsession over it is both hilarious and hypocritical as shit.

Very similar to "You said Lindgren would be a 1st rounder and he WASNT, hahahaha dumbass"
When did I ever argue Lindgren's ceiling or draft stock? Ahh -- just straw man bullshit.

If it turns out that offense is up 25% that makes me 6x more right than you on this.
And when it turns out offense is up 50% back toward 2009 levels -- it makes me 4x more right than you. Which common sense says I will be -- with 80% of the distance back in the balls.

Just like I was more right than anybody else on Lindgren.
No, you weren't. You are just the most obnoxious bitch alive -- that loves to point out how "right" you were(when you were wrong) -- because a couple of people on here other than the one(s) you are talking to/about here short sold him in the preseason. Just so happens -- that had nothing to do with me.

Lindgren was a top 50 prospect PRESEASON -- and top 10 prospect in the SEC -- per a number of baseball references. He was STILL a top 100 prospect after the nightmare of a 2013 season for him per at least one scouting service. How do I know that? I started the damn thread with our prospects' numbers. I still find it hilarious that you are trying to call yourself a genius by being mildly wrong about something that happened almost exactly like Aaron Fitt and the majority of the rest of us saw it happening well in advance.

All this -- while being butt-hurt because "baseball people" here understand that your spreadsheet can't make you understand a game that you are fairly ignorant of in many ways and obnoxious/cocky enough to think you have a good understanding -- thus preventing you from actually learning.

You are Phillip Sanderson -- in every way.