PDA

View Full Version : Oh What Could Have Been

TheRef
07-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Chase Vallot just hit his third home run for the minor league Royals team.....oh what could have been with him.

MsStateBaseball
07-06-2014, 08:07 PM
That's why college baseball is so different, only way to combat MLB is with more scholarship s.

KB21
07-06-2014, 08:09 PM
It would have definitely been nice to have gotten his bat into the line up as a DH next year.

ShotgunDawg
07-06-2014, 08:13 PM
That's why college baseball is so different, only way to combat MLB is with more scholarship s.

A guy like Vallot was probably going to get close to 100% scholarship anyway. Colleges can't compete with MLB unless they can offer a kid money.

maroonmania
07-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Chase Vallot just hit his third home run for the minor league Royals team.....oh what could have been with him.

Bottom line is Vallot ended up being too good to have any realistic chance to keep him. Would have been great if he had been just a little less good than he is.

Goat Holder
07-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Getting drafted guys into school is what makes national champions. Look at Vanderbilt - Beede, Buehler, Fulmer, Ferguson, Swanson, Turner....probably more....all drafted. I'm guessing it's the same for Virginia, I know at least Papi was drafted out of HS. UCLA, off the top of my head....Plutko and Filia were draft picks in HS.

Then look at us.....out of our starting lineup, Henderson and Bradford were the only HS guys drafted. Collins probably should have been, but wasn't, no matter the reason. Then Woodruff and Lindgren. But there again, we aren't far off. Our recruiting really isn't the problem. Point is, getting that 1 or 2 Top Ten Round level talent makes all the difference in the world. We eventually need to get a guy to come to school, and quit losing guys like Burdick and the guy from MO a few years ago.

engie
07-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Another reason that Vandy and UVA and other similar teams get some higher round kids than us is the actual value of those educations in comparison to ours. While ours is a good value for the price, those are elite institutions that set kids up for a very high level of future success in life outside of baseball -- and are virtually identical to us within the game of baseball. AND their scholarship situations allow them to be very generous with how they come up with money to help baseball players out.

It's not -- and never will be -- apples to apples. Makes what we actually accomplish and who we actually pull all the more impressive IMO...

Todd4State
07-07-2014, 02:55 PM
A guy like Vallot was probably going to get close to 100% scholarship anyway. Colleges can't compete with MLB unless they can offer a kid money.

In other words, we need someone that can throw 2 million at these guys.

Alright boosters...

Todd4State
07-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Another reason that Vandy and UVA and other similar teams get some higher round kids than us is the actual value of those educations in comparison to ours. While ours is a good value for the price, those are elite institutions that set kids up for a very high level of future success in life outside of baseball -- and are virtually identical to us within the game of baseball. AND their scholarship situations allow them to be very generous with how they come up with money to help baseball players out.

It's not -- and never will be -- apples to apples. Makes what we actually accomplish and who we actually pull all the more impressive IMO...

That's why I said our tradition and the fact that our fans actually care is our best asset. And it's also why I say it's so important for us to try to get the top 5-8 players in Mississippi and then guys like Pickett who have MSU ties. Now, I don't think we can win a NC with just Mississippians, but that is what we have to use to build around.

Look at where our recent first round picks were from- Stratton, Renfroe, and then Lindgren was a second round pick. A lot of our recent highly successful players- Holder, Frazier had MSU ties, Jarrod Parks, Caleb Reed etc. are also in that category. And then once we get them, we need to supplement them with guys like Gavin Collins, Chad Girodo, etc.

Todd4State
07-07-2014, 03:03 PM
If we want to get these guys to school, the best thing that we can do is keep talking up MSU to them and convince them that if they come to school here, we can increase their draft stock and make them more money. I have to believe that's what LSU does.

Goat Holder
07-07-2014, 03:04 PM
In other words, we need someone that can throw 2 million at these guys.

Alright boosters...

We might be the only fanbase that would have baseball bagmen...

maroonmania
07-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Getting drafted guys into school is what makes national champions. Look at Vanderbilt - Beede, Buehler, Fulmer, Ferguson, Swanson, Turner....probably more....all drafted. I'm guessing it's the same for Virginia, I know at least Papi was drafted out of HS. UCLA, off the top of my head....Plutko and Filia were draft picks in HS.

Then look at us.....out of our starting lineup, Henderson and Bradford were the only HS guys drafted. Collins probably should have been, but wasn't, no matter the reason. Then Woodruff and Lindgren. But there again, we aren't far off. Our recruiting really isn't the problem. Point is, getting that 1 or 2 Top Ten Round level talent makes all the difference in the world. We eventually need to get a guy to come to school, and quit losing guys like Burdick and the guy from MO a few years ago.

We should be able to start keeping some Top 10 round guys and that should be a primary goal but ever keeping guys that go in the Top 2 rounds is not very realistic. It has happened a few times for various schools but its certainly not the norm. I was shocked when USM kept Conner Barron a few years ago out of the 3rd round coming out of HS and he made a big mistake. He will be a SR coming up this year and will never again sniff the money (reportedly near the 1 million mark at the time) he could have gotten coming out of HS unless he some day makes the major leagues.

berr6728
07-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Frazier had no Mississippi ties.

berr6728
07-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Caleb Reed's ties was Ole Piss. His father is a grad of Ole Miss.