PDA

View Full Version : Who wins the MLB All star game?

Political Hack
07-06-2014, 06:52 PM
AL bats look loaded to me, but the NL can fly. Lot of runs despite the great pitching???

War Machine Dawg
07-06-2014, 07:58 PM
It'll be an interesting contrast for sure. The last couple games have been pitching dominated, although who knows if that trend will continue?

Side note, I HATE the AS Game determining home field for the WS. If this is the fans game, which is what it's billed to be, we should get to see the guys having the best years that particular year, not the best guys having good years but the manager would rather have to help him win. Yadi Molina instantly comes to mind this season. He's the best catcher in baseball, but he hasn't had a good year so far. But somehow, he's not only on the team, but starting ahead of Jonathan Lucroy, who ought to be getting MVP consideration for what he's done. Anthony Rizzo & Anthony Rendon are final vote candidates who both deserve to be there. But only one will make it because you need bench players capable of helping you win WS Home Field. It's ridiculous and always has been.

The players ought to be playing to win for pride and the managers should've managed it to win all along. If they aren't that's on them. When it changed in the 90s to "everyone plays" and managers trying to clear the benches and make sure all the pitchers pitched, you knew a tie would be inevitable. But the whole "now it counts" thing is utter bullshit. If Selig had a set of balls and wasn't the worst commissioner in all of professional sports, he'd have privately gathered the owners & GMs and chewed ass for that "everyone plays" bullshit. Let it be known in no uncertain terms from now on, you manage the AS game to win and make sure the players understand it may be an "exhibition" but they better be playing to win. Just a terrible way of handling it all the way around.

CadaverDawg
07-06-2014, 08:30 PM
It'll be an interesting contrast for sure. The last couple games have been pitching dominated, although who knows if that trend will continue?

Side note, I HATE the AS Game determining home field for the WS. If this is the fans game, which is what it's billed to be, we should get to see the guys having the best years that particular year, not the best guys having good years but the manager would rather have to help him win. Yadi Molina instantly comes to mind this season. He's the best catcher in baseball, but he hasn't had a good year so far. But somehow, he's not only on the team, but starting ahead of Jonathan Lucroy, who ought to be getting MVP consideration for what he's done. Anthony Rizzo & Anthony Rendon are final vote candidates who both deserve to be there. But only one will make it because you need bench players capable of helping you win WS Home Field. It's ridiculous and always has been.

The players ought to be playing to win for pride and the managers should've managed it to win all along. If they aren't that's on them. When it changed in the 90s to "everyone plays" and managers trying to clear the benches and make sure all the pitchers pitched, you knew a tie would be inevitable. But the whole "now it counts" thing is utter bullshit. If Selig had a set of balls and wasn't the worst commissioner in all of professional sports, he'd have privately gathered the owners & GMs and chewed ass for that "everyone plays" bullshit. Let it be known in no uncertain terms from now on, you manage the AS game to win and make sure the players understand it may be an "exhibition" but they better be playing to win. Just a terrible way of handling it all the way around.

So many things wrong with the current MLB product IMO. The all star game is one of those problems, for all of the reasons you listed.

Dawg61
07-06-2014, 08:43 PM
I love that the All-Star game determines home field, it gave the Giants home field in both WS they won. It makes the game very important and I love that. The MLB All-Star game is the only one that is so important. NBA and NFL are terrible horribly boring. Can someone explain to me how Josh Harrison made the NL team? He's ok but I would of taken about 20 other guys before him.

Pioneer Dawg
07-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Going with AL. Much deeper bench

Dawg61
07-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Going with AL. Much deeper bench

Good job on the Man U logo!! If the NL just pitches Kershaw 9 innings we'll win for sure. Gonna come down to pitching and both squads are filthy.

AL Pitchers

RHP Yu Darvish, Rangers
RHP Max Scherzer, Tigers
RHP Felix Hernandez, Mariners
RHP Masahiro Tanaka, Yankees
LHP Jon Lester, Red Sox
LHP David Price, Rays
LHP Scott Kazmir, Athletics
LHP Mark Buehrle, Blue Jays
LHP Sean Doolittle, Athletics
RHP Greg Holland, Royals
LHP Glen Perkins, Twins
RHP Dellin Betances, Yankees

NL Pitchers

RHP Johnny Cueto, Reds
LHP Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers
RHP Zack Greinke, Dodgers
LHP Madison Bumgarner, Giants
RHP Adam Wainwright, Cardinals
RHP Tyson Ross, Padres
RHP Jordan Zimmermann, Nationals
RHP Julio Teheran, Braves*
RHP Craig Kimbrel, Braves
LHP Aroldis Chapman, Reds
RHP Francisco Rodriguez, Brewers
LHP Tony Watson, Pirates
RHP Pat Neshek, Cardinals

KB21
07-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Did Mike Matheny really choose Josh Harrison, a utility player, over Justin Upton to be on the All Star team? That combined with the fact that Julio Teheran was chosen only because Jeff Samardzija was traded when Teheran has been better than Samardzija all year long really gives me a reason to dislike the Cardinals even more.

Dawg61
07-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Did Mike Matheny really choose Josh Harrison, a utility player, over Justin Upton to be on the All Star team? That combined with the fact that Julio Teheran was chosen only because Jeff Samardzija was traded when Teheran has been better than Samardzija all year long really gives me a reason to dislike the Cardinals even more.

Clint Hurdle is a manager too, that screams of his pick. Harrison over Upton and Braun? haha ok I can see Braun getting passed over for punishment but good lawrd that is a terrible homer pick by Hurdle.

War Machine Dawg
07-06-2014, 09:55 PM

It's part of the "every team has to be represented" rule that's another bullshit part of the AS game. That needs to be abolished in the worst way.

KB21
07-06-2014, 09:57 PM
It's part of the "every team has to be represented" rule that's another bullshit part of the AS game. That needs to be abolished in the worst way.

Pittsburgh already had McCutcheon and a pitcher chosen.

Pioneer Dawg
07-06-2014, 09:57 PM

No McCutchen and Watson are on the team

War Machine Dawg
07-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Pittsburgh already had McCutcheon and a pitcher chosen.

My bad, missed their names. I couldn't believe that McCutcheon wouldn't be their guy to make it. But I still say the "every team must be represented" rule needs to be changed.