PDA

View Full Version : Gene Wood commits to Alabama (baseball recruit)

Todd4State
07-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Would have loved to have had him in maroon and white, but I wish him well.

MsStateBaseball
07-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Todd, many prep players are playing for Team Georgia. Why them? What's the connection?

Harrydawg
07-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Did he have an offer from MSU? Not sure if we
have offered yet.....

Todd4State
07-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Todd, many prep players are playing for Team Georgia. Why them? What's the connection?

I'm honestly not sure. It might be Wood because he was at one time thinking about going to Georgia and his sister goes to college there. It's either that or one of their coaches most likely.

Todd4State
07-06-2014, 06:56 PM
have offered yet.....

I know we were scouting him. I don't know if we offered or not, but I'm pretty certain we would have. I'm not sure how interested he was in MSU to be honest with you.

MsStateBaseball
07-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Todd, guy who runs it originally from Natchez. Trying to find out more.

Saltydog
07-06-2014, 07:54 PM
summer ball anywhere. Makes me wonder if he's going to even going to be on the team next now that Collins seems to have cemented the catcher position and Walker played relatively well to close out the year. Said Will Cox will start back throwing in a couple of weeks so that's good news.

Todd4State
07-06-2014, 07:59 PM
summer ball anywhere. Makes me wonder if he's going to even going to be on the team next now that Collins seems to have cemented the catcher position and Walker played relatively well to close out the year. Said Will Cox will start back throwing in a couple of weeks so that's good news.

It was kind of iffy if Randolph was going to play summer ball or not. I'm pretty sure he will come back- we need two catchers even though without question Collins will start.

Randolph, Walker, and the JUCO catcher Josh Lovelady will all battle for the number two spot, and I think Walker is the front runner right now going into the fall. But I think Randolph is a guy that loves being on the team, so I don't think he will hang it up.

That's awesome news on Will Cox- thanks for sharing that!

Goat Holder
07-06-2014, 09:19 PM
How did a Prep kid get away from MSU/Ole Miss? Family ties? I can understand Turnbull, his parents were UA alumni.

This kinda sucks. Did we recruit him heavily?

Noxdog
07-06-2014, 09:32 PM
His dad was a QB at Baylor. Family, pro ole miss.

What's this mean with Mangum????

How did a Prep kid get away from MSU/Ole Miss? Family ties? I can understand Turnbull, his parents were UA alumni.

This kinda sucks. Did we recruit him heavily?

messageboardsuperhero
07-06-2014, 09:39 PM
His dad was a QB at Baylor. Family, pro ole miss.

What's this mean with Mangum????

I seriously doubt this means anything with him. You don't see nearly as many recruiting "package deals" and decommits in baseball as you do in football. I know Mangum already decommitted from Bama to come here, but I really don't see him going back just because one of his teammates decided to go there. Plus, I'm sure Mangum already knew that Wood was never all that interested in us anyway.

And remember- Mangum does already have another JP teammate committed to us (Noah Hughes).

Noxdog
07-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Great, but what is bama angle here??? All I know is his father played at bama.

RobbieRandolph
07-06-2014, 09:45 PM
His sister graduated from UGA in 2005, so lets not act like that played a factor. And to anyone that thinks he didn't have an offer from MSU, you're wrong.

I'm honestly not sure. It might be Wood because he was at one time thinking about going to Georgia and his sister goes to college there. It's either that or one of their coaches most likely.

ScottH
07-06-2014, 09:51 PM
have offered yet.....

According to article just posted on Clarion Ledger with quotes from Wood.

Alabama was his dream school and he basically committed immediately upon receiving offer.

His other offers were Wofford and Mercer.

Good luck and congrats on being able to fulfill your dream.

Harrydawg
07-06-2014, 10:00 PM
Sounds right. MSU had not offered but may, we have other players
offered above him, nothing personal - just how things are...

MsStateBaseball
07-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Well unless you know who else we are looking at for middle infield, you don't know the whole story. I totally trust our coaches at finding talent and the right fit. We may have others in mind that love us, etc. He may have been rated low by our coaches for whatever reason. Never know unless you ask the coaches and they won't talk.

Todd4State
07-06-2014, 10:15 PM
His sister graduated from UGA in 2005, so lets not act like that played a factor. And to anyone that thinks he didn't have an offer from MSU, you're wrong.

Ah. I thought she was still there based on what I was told.