PDA

View Full Version : Anybody see the A's/Blue Jays game from Thursday?

smootness
07-06-2014, 12:41 AM
Blue Jays had the bases loaded with one out, grounded to 1st. 1st baseman went for the tag of the runner leaving 1st, runner was called safe. 1st baseman then threw home, where the throw easily beat the runner, he was forced out.

Well, problem was, the runner was actually tagged out and the call was missed. So the Blue Jays challenged to get their own player called out, and the runner at home was called safe since the tag at 1st meant the force was no longer in play at home.

Well, the catcher hadn't tagged the runner because when he got the throw, he had already seen the safe call and the force WAS still in play.

I can't fault the umps here, but it shows a major flaw in replay. It is sometimes good but completely changes the way the game has to be played. I think they need to get rid of it.

Pioneer Dawg
07-06-2014, 12:45 AM
Yeah that's similar to if a play is blown dead in football and one guy keeps going with the ball and scores and replay says it shouldn't have been blown dead so award the TD.

DudyDawg
07-06-2014, 12:46 AM
Yeah, saw that too. Had to be the first time a manager challenged that his player WAS in fact out. Crazy stuff

Dawg61
07-06-2014, 01:38 AM
Blue Jays had the bases loaded with one out, grounded to 1st. 1st baseman went for the tag of the runner leaving 1st, runner was called safe. 1st baseman then threw home, where the throw easily beat the runner, he was forced out.

Well, problem was, the runner was actually tagged out and the call was missed. So the Blue Jays challenged to get their own player called out, and the runner at home was called safe since the tag at 1st meant the force was no longer in play at home.

Well, the catcher hadn't tagged the runner because when he got the throw, he had already seen the safe call and the force WAS still in play.

I can't fault the umps here, but it shows a major flaw in replay. It is sometimes good but completely changes the way the game has to be played. I think they need to get rid of it.

Yes I saw the play live. Crazy play. Melvin was PISSED. I hate replay in baseball now because it's gotten rid of the funny manager ejections and less brawls. I know that's probably a good thing but not for my selfish entertainment value. I learned that I like the imperfection of the human element. The umpires aren't perfect and I now know that and I'm fine with that and I actually enjoy it better that way. A lot better. The amount of calls overturned this year is a shit ton though. Last I saw it was over 200 calls this year have been changed directly from replay.

Todd4State
07-06-2014, 02:09 AM
Replay in baseball is a work in progress.

Todd4State
07-06-2014, 02:09 AM
Yes I saw the play live. Crazy play. Melvin was PISSED. I hate replay in baseball now because it's gotten rid of the funny manager ejections and less brawls. I know that's probably a good thing but not for my selfish entertainment value. I learned that I like the imperfection of the human element. The umpires aren't perfect and I now know that and I'm fine with that and I actually enjoy it better that way. A lot better. The amount of calls overturned this year is a shit ton though. Last I saw it was over 200 calls this year have been changed directly from replay.

As a Cardinals fan, replay probably would have won us the 1985 World Series. So, I guess I'm OK with it in some form at least.

Quaoarsking
07-06-2014, 08:56 AM
They should probably just say the force is in effect if the umpire said it was during the play. So this replay would make the runner from 1st round since he was tagged, and the runner at home out since the catcher was following the umpire's direct instruction.

Quaoarsking
07-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Last I saw it was over 200 calls this year have been changed directly from replay.

If it's that high already, then replay was sorely needed. Umpires getting calls wrong is unacceptable.