PDA

View Full Version : Samardzija/Hammel trade

messageboardsuperhero
07-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Surprised this hasn't really been talked about, considering it's the first blockbuster trade of the summer. Talk about a ballsy, ballsy move by Billy Beane- and I do think it's the right one. Their roster only has about a two year window together, so the time to win is now. Giving up Russell is tough though.

The Cubs are going to be good soon as well. I can't wait to see Bryant in the big leagues.

Todd4State
07-06-2014, 12:04 AM
I really think Bryant is the best third baseman in baseball right now. He's legit.

Personally, I thought the A's gave up a little much.

messageboardsuperhero
07-06-2014, 12:23 AM
I really think Bryant is the best third baseman in baseball right now. He's legit.

Bryant will be outstanding, and you could certainly say that the A's gave up too much and have a valid argument.

The Angels being as dangerous as they are has put more pressure on Beane to add proven starters ASAP. I really don't believe that this deal gets done if Anaheim was playing the same caliber of baseball as last year. Plus, not only does this add to the A's rotation, this keeps two very good starters away from the Angels as well.

My biggest issue with it is the fact that Hammel and Samardzija only have .5 and 1.5 years left on the contracts respectively. The A's need to win big now.

Pioneer Dawg
07-06-2014, 12:46 AM
Beane has been able to do just fine without home grown talent (just 2 on current roster I believe). He can get it done using others talent like always.

shoeless joe
07-06-2014, 01:46 AM
The A's have been good before only to lose in LDS or LCS. maybe cuz money ball works over a season but not in a situationally filled playoff series??? But not to get into that... These moves were a "we need to capitalize on this run" decision. Samardzija especially will be a huge plus in a short or 7 game series with his shut down capabilities.

Kinda surprised they gave up as much as they did to get both but if it plays out to a WS title then it would have been worth it.

ShotgunDawg
07-06-2014, 08:10 AM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/cubs-athletics-trade-jeff-samardzija-jason-hammel-addison-russell-billy-mckinney/

THIS

Intramural All-American
07-06-2014, 08:59 AM

You really think the best 3B in baseball isn't even in the bigs right now? That's a little naive.

Pioneer Dawg
07-06-2014, 09:17 AM
You really think the best 3B in baseball isn't even in the bigs right now? That's a little naive.

Josh Donaldson agrees. Bryant may very well be top 5.

Intramural All-American
07-06-2014, 01:51 PM
I'd say that Adrian Beltre fella is not too shabby either.

Todd4State
07-06-2014, 02:01 PM

Have you seen him play?

Dawg61
07-06-2014, 02:16 PM
I've seen Bryant play and he's every bit top 5 offensively but he's nothing special on defense and the Cubs might move him to the OF

Intramural All-American
07-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Have you seen him play in the bigs? No. So that comment is a little absurd at the moment.