PDA

View Full Version : I have Roku. Question for the board??

MsStateBaseball
07-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Thinking about dropping cable. Roku has all I need ESPN, mlbtv, sectv, news and movies. Should I drop?

Political Hack
07-04-2014, 07:42 PM
can you get AMC and FX?

Dawghouse
07-04-2014, 08:47 PM
If you drop cable you lose live ESPN unless you get someone elses login.

msu4ever
07-04-2014, 09:11 PM
As above, lose espn without another log on. We dropped dish........just simplifying ours lives in prep for a new lifestyle. Now have Roku. While we enjoy it, it's not the same. Be sure you can live without sports, it's ok. I think I'd prefer Google Chrome or something that will stream from computer. Some network programs are available there and not via roku. If uVerse becomes available we may go back to that. Otherwise, we're sticking it out.

spiritual_machine2005
07-04-2014, 09:56 PM
I use an apple tv and my aunts cable login. I love it. As long as she lets me use her login ill never pay for cable again. I got WATCHespn built into it and the picture is great. Access to replays. And access to youtube. Just rewatched the egg bowl on youtube through my flat screen.

Dawghouse
07-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Try the plex media server to stream some of the network stuff. Runs on your pc but has a roku channel. It's not great but it works.

Political Hack
07-05-2014, 08:22 AM
I can get a hi-def antenna for the main stations, Netflix, Hulu, and EDPN through Xbox gold annual subscription. I just don't want to lose Sons of Anarchy & Walking Dead. Need to see if they're on hulu I guess.

spiritual_machine2005
07-05-2014, 08:47 AM
I watch walking dead through my apple tv and just buy it on itunes. Its about $40 bucks for the season. Thats way less than one month of HD cable, and you can watch any time you want in perfect HD with no commercials.

Bo Darville
07-05-2014, 08:56 AM
I think I'm living off the grid. I've honestly never heard of Roku. I've never seen an episode of Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, or Sons of Anarchy. I only heard of Game of Thrones two weeks ago and I still don't know if it's a movie, a TV show, or a video game. And I'm only 43.

However, I did get my 13-year-old son a TV (with 50 channels of cable) for his room last week.

But notice that I have mastered the interwebs.

Original48
07-05-2014, 12:22 PM
My OCD/ADHD neighbor gets up at 6am and will clean gutters, do housework, fix lunches, create projects and essentially can't ever sit down. Not a tv guy at all. I introduced him to Breaking Bad. His wife hates me. Yesterday at our annual Fourth of July pool party, he looked at me and said 'I can't just sit here. I'm gonna run home and squeeze one in..I'll be back in an hour.'

Political Hack
07-05-2014, 12:47 PM
My OCD/ADHD neighbor gets up at 6am and will clean gutters, do housework, fix lunches, create projects and essentially can't ever sit down. Not a tv guy at all. I introduced him to Breaking Bad. His wife hates me. Yesterday at our annual Fourth of July pool party, he looked at me and said 'I can't just sit here. I'm gonna run home and squeeze one in..I'll be back in an hour.'

that's pretty text book OCD.

the59dawg
07-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Thinking about dropping cable. Roku has all I need ESPN, mlbtv, sectv, news and movies. Should I drop?

I still have Dish, but Roku gives me all I need for MSU sports. If our game is covered somewhere, between ESPN and ESPN3 it will be available to see. Don't know if sectv includes the new sec network yet.
HULU will give you many, many TV shows, but next day coverage, not live, for $8/mo and Netflix, if you like old outdated movies, also is $8. Hulu also has movies, but I have not tried these out yet.
Since you have Roku, you should know what is available with all the various apps.