PDA

View Full Version : First time post - Baseball

Sandman14
05-17-2013, 12:54 AM
Good to see a good forum here.

What can you say about this baseball team? All the negativity over the last few years, and things really have gone on an uphill progression the whole time. You could wish for a quicker turnaround, but it would require a lot of luck. We have gotten the benefit of some luck (Stratton, etc.), but really much more unluckiness. We win because we earn it. Lots of grit in our teams. We always leave losses out there and still beat expectations, generally, when it's all said and done. Who would have thought we'd have been within 9 outs of Omaha, then SEC tourney champs, and now on the cusp of hosting. We will win a national title before it's over. No doubt in my mind.

This team has made some mistakes, but so have all teams. We really don't make that dam many, overall. For instance, our closer NEVER makes a mistake. Our SS rarely makes mistakes. Our RF rarely. CF rarely, etc.

What we do fall victim of (it seems, at least) is terrible fortune with hard hit balls, and always out hitting our opponents (this season especially) and not converting that to runs.

This is baseball. That all turns around. It's a numbers game. i wouldn't doubt if we have an incredible run of luck to balance out all the sorry calls and screwy, uncharacteristic innings we've lost ballgames over.

The team is so full of perseverance and commitment and grittiness. They've taken on Cohen's personality. That's all you can ask a great coach to do: make his team take on his personality. Cohen has some areas he needs to improve upon (he's already done it by, for instance, throwing Holder in there earlier rather than later), and his in-game decisions sometimes are questionable, but the most important thing for a college baseball coach is recruit well and make your team conform to your personality and get on your page..."buy in" so to speak. Well, Cohen is a master here, as we all knew he would be from the first day he arrived.

The only concern is the starting pitching. I mean come on. How can we get zilch from Evan and Woody and end up with Pollo as Friday? Now that is terrible fortune. In any event, I still think that because of our edge mentally and the way we grind, we can make Omaha. Fitz with Baseball America predicted it, and even though he ranks us low currently, he has stuck with his prediction. The job Cohen is doing is not going unnoticed. That's why we are higher in the coaches poll.

Anyway, love MSU, but the baseball is what I live and die by. The last three games have been absolutely great. I think this team could be developing something special inside where even though we might be outmanned at times in the post-season, we have a great shot to make a deep run. And with Rea and CT rippin, our lineup is all at once formidable.

Todd4State
05-17-2013, 01:09 AM
Expectations are high at MSU for baseball- and that's good.

I think people expected a quick turnaround because that's what happened when Polk I took over. I do have some inside knowledge that the team that we had in 1975 HATED Bragan and they were basically split. They really weren't a bad team, but the chemistry wasn't there. Polk came in and actually inherited a decent team and had a promising season in 1976.

Of course, the SEC is a LOT different now. The bottom line on Cohen's first two years were we didn't have the horses to compete and then you had a coaching staff with one philosophy clashing with players who were recruited by a coach with a drastically different philosophy.

Year three- Cohen was on the hot seat (I guess) and we scrapped to a Super Regional. However, it seems to me that a lot of our fans thought it was a fluke a la MSU football 2007.

Year four- We had a winning SEC season and won the SEC Tournament. I think that was when people were like- "OK, this isn't a fluke."

Year five- We'll see what happens next.

You are right- we have had some bad luck with injuries along the way. This team is more like what I envisioned we would be like with Cohen as our coach- like you said, tough, competitive, and gritty. Sometimes that can overcome bad luck.

I think as far as the postseason having gone through the SEC and everything is going to pay off for us.

FlabLoser
05-17-2013, 06:20 AM
Welcome, Sandman.

CadaverDawg
05-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Enter, Sandman. Welcome.

Sandman14
06-19-2013, 12:37 PM
pretty good month we've had since we really broke through as a team in that comeback v. South Carolina. 12-3 since this original post. the whole landscape has changed. we are now getting the breaks we did not get the first half of the season. makes all the difference in the world. and vandy got their breaks early and look what good it did them. LSU too.