PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Renfroe batting .135 10 games into AA

Coach34
07-03-2014, 12:38 PM
5/37...1 HR....1 double...still only 6 K's in 41 total AB's so that is very encouraging

I wouldnt expect him in San Diego in September.

messageboardsuperhero
07-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Meh, that's not as bad as it seems, considering he's only struck out six times. I'd expect that to go up pretty soon, assuming he continues to put the ball in play.

And no, he won't be called up this season. But most of us already knew that anyway.

smootness
07-03-2014, 12:52 PM
His BABIP is .133. Keep making contact at this rate, and he'll be just fine.

shoeless joe
07-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Absolute earliest we'll see him with big club is next June. I'm sure he will get an extended look in spring training next yr too.

ShotgunDawg
07-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Since San Diego just fired their GM, I wouldn't be surprised if Renfroe's ETA to the big leagues gets pushed back. The new GM coming in won't feel any immediate pressure to win and thus may play things conservative and save service time.

engie
07-03-2014, 02:01 PM
San Diego is on pace to be the worst hitting team in the live ball era... By a lot...

I wouldn't be surprised if they let him get a cup of coffee late this season and kick him back to AAA to start next year. Especially if they deal Smitty as is being rumored...

ShotgunDawg
07-03-2014, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they let him get a cup of coffee late this season and kick him back to AAA to start next year. Especially if they deal Smitty as is being rumored...

This would start his service & arbitration clock and would be a bad move. Once your called up to the big leagues, you free agent and arbitration clock begin. This would be a bad business move because if you call Renfroe up late this season, he would be a free agent following after 2020, but if you brought him up next year he wouldn't be a free agent till after 2021. With a new GM, I expect they'll save him.

Coach34
07-03-2014, 02:45 PM
This would start his service & arbitration clock and would be a bad move. Once your called up to the big leagues, you free agent and arbitration clock begin. This would be a bad business move because if you call Renfroe up late this season, he would be a free agent following after 2020, but if you brought him up next year he wouldn't be a free agent till after 2021. With a new GM, I expect they'll save him.

Not to mention there is no need in destroying any confidence he may have. He aint ready

shoeless joe
07-03-2014, 03:27 PM
San Diego is on pace to be the worst hitting team in the live ball era... By a lot...

Did I not just see where he signed a 2 yr extension? Admittedly it was on the bottom line of some sports channel the other day and I didn't catch all it said.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-03-2014, 04:19 PM
It is unpopular but I stand by my prediction. I hope he proves me wrong.

I watched him for 3 years. He cant hit.
He isnt a good hitter. He is a phenomenal athlete. I hope they fix his swing and he can be an all-star.

BoomBoom
07-03-2014, 04:36 PM

He isnt a good hitter. He is a phenomenal athlete. I hope they fix his swing and he can be an all-star.

late to the party on this, but i'm interested in your reasoning. is it because you think he lacks the ability, a la Franceour and the lack of "twitch" ability to lay off pitches, or is it because of a poor approach (which can be fixed)?

smootness
07-03-2014, 08:50 PM

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Todd4State
07-03-2014, 08:58 PM
late to the party on this, but i'm interested in your reasoning. is it because you think he lacks the ability, a la Franceour and the lack of "twitch" ability to lay off pitches, or is it because of a poor approach (which can be fixed)?

IMO Franceour was lazy more than anything. Extremely talented, but lazy.

Todd4State
07-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Did I not just see where he signed a 2 yr extension? Admittedly it was on the bottom line of some sports channel the other day and I didn't catch all it said.

Yes, he did and the Padres told him that he will not be traded.

ShotgunDawg
07-03-2014, 09:49 PM

You are not alone in this belief and you would probably be very surprised with who shares it. However, this is a pointless debate unless we can define "hit". I don't think anyone in baseball believes that Renfroe is a .280 - .300 type hitter, however, what if he hits .250-.260 with 20-25 HRs and is a plus defender in RF? I think that is very much a possibility.

Pioneer Dawg
07-03-2014, 09:53 PM
You have no idea what you're talking about.

+1

We also need to know what Ennis definition of "can hit" is. Ill say anyone with a wRC+ of 100 or over "can hit"

ShotgunDawg
07-03-2014, 10:15 PM
+1

We also need to know what Ennis definition of "can hit" is. Ill say anyone with a wRC+ of 100 or over "can hit"

The definition of "can hit" must be established or this is a pointless conversation.

Coach34
07-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Hunter Renfroe will never hit .250 in MLB. I'll be surprised if he plays 162 MLB games for his career

Pioneer Dawg
07-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Hunter Renfroe will never hit .250 in MLB. I'll be surprised if he plays 162 MLB games for his career

Lets steer away from batting average. A guy like Renfroe will be productive without a high BA. See Yoenis Ceapedes and Brandon Moss