PDA

View Full Version : The SEC Network on ESPN

defiantdog
07-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Okay so far we have the Dish Network, AT&T UVerse, Google Fiber and soon to be Comcast. I'm not too optimistic anymore with under 2 months away from kick off. I have already cancelled my Charter account and switched to Dish Network at home and at work. I am not sure what's going on.... is it ESPN? The cable providers? or both? Either way, someone screwed up bad getting this shit organized. This reminds me of the NFL Network a few years ago and how badly organized the release of that debacle was.

engie
07-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Okay so far we have the Dish Network, AT&T UVerse, Google Fiber and soon to be Comcast. I'm not too optimistic anymore with under 2 months away from kick off. I have already cancelled my Charter account and switched to Dish Network at home and at work. I am not sure what's going on.... is it ESPN? The cable providers? or both? Either way, someone screwed up bad getting this shit organized. This reminds me of the NFL Network a few years ago and how badly organized the release of that debacle was.

It's like the US budget and increasing the debt ceiling -- No one starts working on it until the 11th hour -- and it somehow manages to get done at the last minute.

No mistakes have been made on either organization's part. The release is going according to plan. Even the part where fans freak out MONTHS before the actual release and make this thread on every SEC-related message board multiple times/week and probably bug the heck out of their providers IS according to ESPN's plan to pressure the providers. It's working.

RossDawg82
07-02-2014, 06:10 PM
If a company the size of direct tv did not have this, a lot of heads would roll from the top down. That is why in the end this gets done. I bet it becomes official 2 weeks before the first kick off

Big4Dawg
07-02-2014, 06:43 PM
What kind of stuff will they have on during the day? And esp during the summer months when no sports are going on. A bunch of replays or what?

http://getsecnetwork.com/?excid=secn_com_rd1_970#Programming

1) Replays
2) The Paul Finebaum Show (4 hours a day of this crap?)
3) SEC documentaries?

It's going to be interest how the chose to fill the time.

TheRef
07-02-2014, 06:49 PM
What kind of stuff will they have on during the day? And esp during the summer months when no sports are going on. A bunch of replays or what?

1) Replays
3) SEC documentaries?

Coaches shows, school-specific programs, smaller sports.

TheDogFather
07-02-2014, 07:19 PM
I read an article - Kiplingers or Motley Fool - that said the ATT bid to buy DTV was all about ATT getting their hands on the NFL deal DTV has. The NFL deal is many times bigger nationwide that what SECN has to offer and SECN was not a concern if ATT.

Political Hack
07-02-2014, 07:41 PM
I read an article - Kiplingers or Motley Fool - that said the ATT bid to buy DTV was all about ATT getting their hands on the NFL deal DTV has. The NFL deal is many times bigger nationwide that what SECN has to offer and SECN was not a concern if ATT.

ATT already has the SEC network. Once the merger goes through, they'll have the rights they need to broadcast. Buying it through DirectTV may essentially be "buying it twice" for AT&T at this point. I wish I knew the details of the merger because that really could end up screwing Direct customers.

Martianlander
07-03-2014, 09:04 AM
ATT already has the SEC network. Once the merger goes through, they'll have the rights they need to broadcast. Buying it through DirectTV may essentially be "buying it twice" for AT&T at this point. I wish I knew the details of the merger because that really could end up screwing Direct customers.

Believe me if it can be screwed up ATT will certainly do it.

starkvegasdawg
07-03-2014, 09:15 AM
I know in the past DTV has not batted an eye at dropping channels when contracts are up just to play hardball on negotiations. It honestly would not surprise me if they did not have it by opening day. The only thing that might have an effect is customers actually (not threatening) to drop DTV and making sure they all say that is the reason. Really sucks for people like me out in the country where satellite is the only option. I don't like Dish and don't want to go to them.

Political Hack
07-03-2014, 10:01 AM
I know in the past DTV has not batted an eye at dropping channels when contracts are up just to play hardball on negotiations. It honestly would not surprise me if they did not have it by opening day. The only thing that might have an effect is customers actually (not threatening) to drop DTV and making sure they all say that is the reason. Really sucks for people like me out in the country where satellite is the only option. I don't like Dish and don't want to go to them.

I dropped Direct when they waited forever to pick up either AMC or FX... can't remember which, but they didn't let the program schedule bother them enough for me to stick with them.

Bucky Dog
07-03-2014, 06:04 PM
They just went through this with Weather Channel about 6 months ago. Think about this, the average Direct TV bill is about $125 per month and if they do not get the SEC Network, I could see at least 1 Million people leaving for Dish, as I would. If you do the math that is $125 million dollars a month in lost revenue. I may be thinking that SEC fans are a little more rabid about this, but then again 1 million may be conservative. Either way I don't see DTV risking the chance of losing over $100 million of monthly income.

My date is August 1. If there is no deal done by then I'm switching to Dish. I told DTV this and I suggest you all do as well.

Dawg61
07-03-2014, 06:23 PM

1) Replays
3) SEC documentaries?

Probably will look very similar to ESPNU just with an SEC flavor