PDA

View Full Version : Barrett Sallee would be proud

Coach34
07-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Mullen makes a hotseat list for the 4th year in a row

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/photos/2014/07/01/college-football-coaches-on-hot-seat-2014-season-muschamp-weis-holgorsen-pelini-mullen.html#img_8

MetEdDawg
07-02-2014, 04:43 PM
To me there is a difference between hot seat and expectation seat. He's on the expectation seat, which is the seat BEFORE the hot seat. We shouldn't go worse than 8-4 this year unless we get riddled with injuries or lose Dak. 8-4 will never get Mullen fired ever at MSU, but many of us will be disappointed if we go 8-4 and don't win a game against a legit SEC opponent.

Our expectations are for us to make the big move to 9-3 or hell even 10-2. It's year 6 from a total rebuild, so it's not totally unrealistic. We've got the proper set up, but again 8-4 will never get Mullen fired. If we go 7-5 this year, THEN Mullen is on the hot seat because 7-5 won't get him fired THIS year. But he's not on the hot seat right now. He's on the expectation seat and we, along with many others in the media, expect us to make some noise. Mullen needs to do that in order to stay off the hot seat next year.

PassInterference
07-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Its a bizzaro media summer. One crackpot mentioned Ole Miss and national championship, while another has Mullen on the hot seat. Flipping that around would be closer to reality.

MSU is more likely than Ole Miss to win a national championship, although NEITHER are likely.

Freeze is closer to a hotseat than Mullen. Hell, the confederates were getting restless just last season when they lost 3 in a row.

Coach34
07-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Exactly- Mullen has 2 years left regardless of what happens this coming season

but anything less than 8-4 will be disappointing

Homedawg
07-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Exactly- Mullen has 2 years left regardless of what happens this coming season

but anything less than 8-4 will be disappointing

Hard to argue w any of this. Pretty spot on.

War Machine Dawg
07-02-2014, 07:07 PM
To me there is a difference between hot seat and expectation seat. He's on the expectation seat, which is the seat BEFORE the hot seat. We shouldn't go worse than 8-4 this year unless we get riddled with injuries or lose Dak. 8-4 will never get Mullen fired ever at MSU, but many of us will be disappointed if we go 8-4 and don't win a game against a legit SEC opponent.

Our expectations are for us to make the big move to 9-3 or hell even 10-2. It's year 6 from a total rebuild, so it's not totally unrealistic. We've got the proper set up, but again 8-4 will never get Mullen fired. If we go 7-5 this year, THEN Mullen is on the hot seat because 7-5 won't get him fired THIS year. But he's not on the hot seat right now. He's on the expectation seat and we, along with many others in the media, expect us to make some noise. Mullen needs to do that in order to stay off the hot seat next year.

Hammer meet nail. I'll be pissed if we're less than 8-4, barring crazy OL injuries or a major injury to Dak, and disappointed if we're "only" 8-4 - which is still a very good season by MSU standards. But there's no way in hell Mullen is going anywhere for at least 2 years unless he leaves of his own accord. To think otherwise is absolutely insane.

BulldogBear
07-02-2014, 07:10 PM
More trying to impant the hot seat idea. They wish it was a hot seat.

mic
07-02-2014, 07:17 PM
There are lots of other coaches that should be on this list other than CDM.
After CDM's third season he has been on this list.. Longest hot seat ever......

BulldogBear
07-02-2014, 07:22 PM
There are lots of other coaches that should be on this list other than CDM.
After CDM's third season he has been on this list.. Longest hot seat ever......

Yep, surely it's moved down to his shoes by now with nothing left but soles and old bits of laces.

Political Hack
07-02-2014, 07:37 PM
if CDM wins the Egg Bowl (yet again), which MS coach is on the hot seat going into 2015?

BulldogBear
07-02-2014, 08:31 PM
if CDM wins the Egg Bowl (yet again), which MS coach is on the hot seat going into 2015?

How many guesses do we get?***

CJDAWG85
07-02-2014, 08:48 PM
Even at 8-4, that means we took at least 1 from Bama, LSU, Aub, A&M, or we won the Egg Bowl again. Still a solid year.

Joe Schmedlap
07-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Mullen could go 6-6 next year and still get another year at the helm. I agree that he isn't going anywhere for two more years based on any potential lack of success. Ironically, he is much more likely to leave after next season if he is wildly successful in 2014.

7-5 would be failure in my opinion given the schedule and talent. 8-4 would be disappointing, but certainly not unacceptable. 9-3 would be very very good and all of Bulldog Nation would celebrate. 10-2 would be phenomenal, leading to all kinds of delusions of grandeur and predictions of the extinction of the Ole Miss Rebel Black Bears followed by Bulldog fan suicidal ideations when Coach Mullen takes a higher profile job.

So, as for me, I'm hoping for 9-3 regular season and a victory against a solid opponent in a meaningful bowl game. Double digit wins would be awesome. I would then party like it's 1999.

Todd4State
07-02-2014, 10:25 PM
The only way Dan is on the hot seat is to pull a Petrino.

I don't really even understand this guy's rationale?

scottycameron
07-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Mullen is not even close to a hot seat. And he won't be on one next year. Or the year after. I was suspect for a while but not anymore. He's building, year after year. If he wins 6 or 7 games this year is that bad? I think it is, y'all think it is, but put it in perspective. That's not a fireable season. And it's going to be better than that anyway. Let him build.

bgdog
07-03-2014, 12:20 AM
MSU is more likely than Ole Miss to win a national championship, although NEITHER are likely.

Are we though? Doesn't Vegas have us at pretty much identical seasons with giving OM an edge, not that Vegas matters completely. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing but I'd like to hear a fleshed out argument on why MSU is more likely to win a NC over OM?

Raytoraid83
07-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Are we though? Doesn't Vegas have us at pretty much identical seasons with giving OM an edge, not that Vegas matters completely. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing but I'd like to hear a fleshed out argument on why MSU is more likely to win a NC over OM?

Adam Kramer tweeted these odds to win the SEC from Bovada. "@KegsnEggs: Odds to win the SEC (Bovada): Alabama 3/2, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, South Car 5/1, Florida 9/1, Ole Miss 16/1, Tenn 18/1"

They have Miss St at 33/1.... I wouldn't mind investing in that number.

spudd21
07-03-2014, 07:23 AM
I don't see Stricklin even considering canning Mullen unless we miss a bowl. I see Mullen being at State as long as he wants unless he totally shits the bed.

PassInterference
07-03-2014, 08:59 AM

Well for starters, we are better than them. And we will win the Egg Bowl...again.

Political Hack
07-03-2014, 10:04 AM
I don't see Stricklin even considering canning Mullen unless we miss a bowl. I see Mullen being at State as long as he wants unless he totally shits the bed.

it was considered last year though. Have no viable insights into this season, but CDM was on the hot seat last year going into the season.

spudd21
07-03-2014, 10:24 AM
You are right but we made a bowl and all was right.

RC3
07-03-2014, 10:32 AM
3-8 houston nutt type campaign would result in his termination i believe, but that sh!t aint happenin

spudd21
07-03-2014, 11:13 AM
That's kinda what I was thinking. I just don't see SS sending him packing on a 6 win season.

drunkernhelldawg
07-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Croom basically lost his job by losing the first game of the season to a very good La Tech team. Not sure the same would be true for Mullen with a loss to the very bad unmentionable team we will be playing. But there'd be a lot of shit in the fan, for sure, especially if we followed with a lackluster performance or two.

PassInterference
07-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Well your wife or children could pass away today. How sad would that be?

Holy shit people, its the 4th of July weekend. Let loose. Enjoy it. Have a beer. Can we stop talking about the worst case scenario for MSU football?

War Machine Dawg
07-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Croom basically lost his job by losing the first game of the season to a very good La Tech team. Not sure the same would be true for Mullen with a loss to the very bad unmentionable team we will be playing. But there'd be a lot of shit in the fan, for sure, especially if we followed with a lackluster performance or two.

There is so much FAIL in this I don't know where to begin.

1) Mullen isn't Crxxm. Crxxm had losing seasons in 3 of the previous 4. His offenses, supposedly his specialty, were always amongst the worst in the nation. And the one non-losing season was a fluke based on defensive scores. Mullen has taken us to 4 straight bowls. Our offense has seen steady improvement and is poised for what should be its best season yet. Mullen is 4 of 5 against the BearSharks and coming off a history making OT win over them. To compare the situations of Crxxm & Mullen is so stupid I don't have enough words to describe how stupid it is.

2) The LA Tech game certainly got the drum beating. No denying that. But if we hadn't gotten skull****ed by the BearSharks, Crxxm likely would have gotten another season. Dispute it all you want, but that's fact.

3) Mullen ain't losing to the Gilded Buzzards.

4) Barring something insane like Buzzards and Eleven, Mullen is safe no matter what happens this season. Any speculation otherwise is just ignorant and/or agenda driven bullshit.

drunkernhelldawg
07-03-2014, 01:25 PM
There is so much FAIL in this I don't know where to begin.

1) Mullen isn't Crxxm. Crxxm had losing seasons in 3 of the previous 4. His offenses, supposedly his specialty, were always amongst the worst in the nation. And the one non-losing season was a fluke based on defensive scores. Mullen has taken us to 4 straight bowls. Our offense has seen steady improvement and is poised for what should be its best season yet. Mullen is 4 of 5 against the BearSharks and coming off a history making OT win over them. To compare the situations of Crxxm & Mullen is so stupid I don't have enough words to describe how stupid it is.

2) The LA Tech game certainly got the drum beating. No denying that. But if we hadn't gotten skull****ed by the BearSharks, Crxxm likely would have gotten another season. Dispute it all you want, but that's fact.

3) Mullen ain't losing to the Gilded Buzzards.

4) Barring something insane like Buzzards and Eleven, Mullen is safe no matter what happens this season. Any speculation otherwise is just ignorant and/or agenda driven bullshit.

I agree with point # 3, but I'll agree more strongly after the w is in the books. However, the fire Croom bandwagon followed the very first game following our only winning season of that decade. My theme is that football fans are fickle. Even though half the games are losses, they don't put up with losing.

RougeDawg
07-03-2014, 03:00 PM
Well your wife or children could pass away today. How sad would that be?

Holy shit people, its the 4th of July weekend. Let loose. Enjoy it. Have a beer. Can we stop talking about the worst case scenario for MSU football?

^^^^This^^^^

We are better than OM. We have a Bette chance to win the NC than them. They are a few key injuries away from a 4 win season. These odds mskers and magazine writers recognize and understand what fan bases have more money than sense. It's the off season, but they all still have bills to pay. Who would you pander to, in order to increase your off season revenue? Group A who thinks a t shirt and shorts are proper football attire. Or group B who thinks dress slacks, formal dresses and tailgate with chandeliers are normal for football gamedays?

We will roll Bucky up again this November so just sit back, relax and have some confidence going into this season. I hope most of you will join me in Oxford to witness the beaver pounding.

thf24
07-03-2014, 03:12 PM
I hope most of you will join me in Oxford to witness the beaver pounding.

Well done.