PDA

View Full Version : Any news about a baseball assistant?

bulldogcountry1
07-02-2014, 07:32 AM
I saw where Chris Curry took a job at one of those smaller Arkansas schools.

I hope we can hire a "director of camps" that is a good hitting instructor.

engie
07-02-2014, 08:17 AM
While technically "volunteer assistants", those guys actually make decent money overall between camps and sponsorship money...

I agree with you. With the rules and the fact that MSU still has pending lawsuits somewhat regarding exceeding practice time limits, this is an incredibly important position that doesn't really fall under the other umbrella and I believe could work with guys outside of actual "practice times". If you want to see adjustments made, this is the time and position you implement to do it...

CadaverDawg
07-02-2014, 08:19 AM
RougeDawg applied and is waiting to hear back. Anxious to work with Pirtle this season.***

SFloridaDawg
07-02-2014, 08:21 AM
That is exactly what is going to happen. Name should be released any day now

Coach34
07-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Jesus guys

Cohen coaches the hitters and just like Crooms offense, Mullen calling plays, Stands going to the stall, and Polk never bunting- that shit isn't going to change

DudyDawg
07-02-2014, 10:42 AM
RougeDawg applied and is waiting to hear back. Anxious to work with Pirtle this season.***

heard he's got some prospect named Renfroe he thinks he can mold into a high draft pick.

engie
07-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Jesus guys

Cohen coaches the hitters and just like Crooms offense, Mullen calling plays, Stands going to the stall, and Polk never bunting- that shit isn't going to change

If Cohen spent every minute of practice coaching hitters, he still only gets 20 hours a week and 5 mo/yr. Absolute best case, he spends 30 mins/hitter/wk. Probably much less than that. He simply doesn't have the time nor do the rules allow him enough time to overhaul swings, etc...

That's what the volunteer assistant does -- for an unlimited amount of time virtually year round. No one is saying Cohen will or needs to "turn it over" to someone else. But he needs someone to take care of -- and improve -- this aspect when Cohen "can't be there".

That position is just as important as any on the coaching staff -- and arguably the most important for actually developing hitters. Swing modifications happen in the offseason -- when Cohen can be nowhere near these guys.

Homedawg
07-02-2014, 10:50 AM
If Cohen spent every minute of practice coaching hitters, he still only gets 20 hours a week and 5 mo/yr. Absolute best case, he spends 30 mins/hitter/wk. Probably much less than that. He simply doesn't have the time nor do the rules allow him enough time to overhaul swings, etc...

That's what the volunteer assistant does -- for an unlimited amount of time virtually year round. No one is saying Cohen will or needs to "turn it over" to someone else. But he needs someone to take care of -- and improve -- this aspect when Cohen "can't be there".

That position is just as important as any on the coaching staff -- and arguably the most important for actually developing hitters. Swing modifications happen in the offseason -- when Cohen can be nowhere near these guys.

I think what coach is sayin, which is true, whoever is w them is going to use cohen's philosophy. As for the rest, we get 4 players and one coach sessions in the off season. Cohen is present. The volunteer can't be there any more than Cohen can as far as that goes- legally.

Coach34
07-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Yes- Homedawg conveyed what I was meaning. Our philosophy is and will remain Cohen's. We arent going to bring anyone into the program to change that.

engie
07-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Yes- Homedawg conveyed what I was meaning. Our philosophy is and will remain Cohen's. We are going to bring anyone into the program to change that.

No one is pulling a Rogue and advocating a wholesale philosophy change to try to turn singles hitters into Hank Aaron here. Cohen had already shown a modification to that in recruiting to the new baseball and shorter Dudy Noble.

We need someone to spend additional time implementing little things in hitting to get more out of our hitters...

TexasDawg
07-02-2014, 11:50 AM
No one is pulling a Rogue and advocating a wholesale philosophy change to try to turn singles hitters into Hank Aaron here. Cohen had already shown a modification to that in recruiting to the new baseball and shorter Dudy Noble.

We need someone to spend additional time implementing little things in hitting to get more out of our hitters...

I vote for anabolic steroids