PDA

View Full Version : Cody Brown

messageboardsuperhero
07-01-2014, 08:25 PM
So apparently Cody Brown hit another homerun tonight- his 3rd of the summer in only about 13-14 games. He also got an OF assist by gunning down a runner from right field trying to take third.

I just love what this guy brings to the table. He does all the little things right- plays very solid defense, runs the bases with great intelligence/instincts, takes pitches and gets on base, hits with some pop, and plays with 100% effort at all times. Brown could start for me in the outfield any day. After getting overshadowed by Collins some, people forget that he was just a freshman too.

My question is, does Brown have the range to play center? I've had some serious concerns about who could play CF if Robson isn't healthy- but if Cody Brown can do it, that would answer an important question.

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 08:28 PM
I totally agree.

I think he starts in CF next year. Love the way he plays

msstate7
07-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Does he arm strength for cf?

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 08:35 PM
He has more than CT

messageboardsuperhero
07-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Does he arm strength for cf?

Well, he had the arm strength for RF this year- and it's not like CT had a great arm, but he was very good defensively for us.

That wouldn't be my concern with Brown playing CF though. He's not a guy that's going to wow you with his speed and athleticism, so he'd have to make up for that lack of athleticism by taking really nice routes and getting good jumps- thus have good range without necessarily being the fastest guy on the field. Brown has great instincts though, so it's entirely possible and worth a shot if Robson doesn't pan out, IMO.

engie
07-01-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm really high on him as well. His K total has to come down, and I suspect that it will. On top of what has already been said, he brings a ton of the "right attitude" to the team that we lacked at times this year as well.

msstate7
07-01-2014, 08:48 PM
If robson can hit at all, I'd rather him in cf. Dudy noble and td have big outfields so if want some serious range in cf

DanDority
07-01-2014, 08:57 PM
If robson can hit at all, I'd rather him in cf. Dudy noble and td have big outfields so if want some serious range in cf

If I'm not mistaken Robson left the team.

msstate7
07-01-2014, 09:00 PM
If I'm not mistaken Robson left the team.

Thought it was hann, but not certain

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Hann did for sure. Rumors were made about Robson but can't remember if it happened

messageboardsuperhero
07-01-2014, 09:36 PM
I'm really high on him as well. His K total has to come down, and I suspect that it will. On top of what has already been said, he brings a ton of the "right attitude" to the team that we lacked at times this year as well.

Yeah, I'm hoping/thinking that had more to do with him being a freshman who takes a lot of pitches. Still, 26 BBs to just 29 Ks is pretty damn good- especially for a freshman. Most of Brown's struggles striking out came in SEC play, so we should see him get better at this after a year under his belt.

chainedup_Dawg
07-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Well, he had the arm strength for RF this year- and it's not like CT had a great arm, but he was very good defensively for us.

That wouldn't be my concern with Brown playing CF though. He's not a guy that's going to wow you with his speed and athleticism, so he'd have to make up for that lack of athleticism by taking really nice routes and getting good jumps- thus have good range without necessarily being the fastest guy on the field. Brown has great instincts though, so it's entirely possible and worth a shot if Robson doesn't pan out, IMO.

THIS. route and getting a good jump while reading it off the bat are more important. Jim Edmonds was slow but that mf'er could read the ball and get a hell of jump.

State82
07-01-2014, 09:43 PM
I really like Cody Brown. I'm sure he is capable of any OF position and he may start in center out of necessity, which would be fine. I like the way he plays the game for sure.

Todd4State
07-02-2014, 01:36 AM
I think Cody could play CF and be just fine. His range may not be as good as CT's, but it's adequate and I don't think it would be a liability. I think his arm will be OK too. For some reason, I think Cody played CF at one of the games at Trustmark Park and he did fine.

One guy I would keep an eye on as far as CF is Michael Smith from Walters State CC in Tennessee.

If Robson left, it just happened because last I heard he was coming back.

Todd4State
07-02-2014, 01:40 AM
THIS. route and getting a good jump while reading it off the bat are more important. Jim Edmonds was slow but that mf'er could read the ball and get a hell of jump.

I don't know if I would call him slow, but he was extremely fundamentally sound.