PDA

View Full Version : English Premier League question

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Ok, I'm going to try and watch English Premier League. Give me your advice on the following....

When does the season start?
What channels can I find games?
What is the most popular team to pull for if I'm going to simply choose a team? Who do you pull for, and what reputable players play for your team?

I'm making an effort bc I enjoyed the WC. Help me get started.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Okay I'll try to help the whole team thing with my story. So I really wasn't a huge soccer fan until about three years ago. I played growing up and like it, but didn't follow. Then I decided to give it a shot. I started watching a lot of the presean games (not a WC year, and all the big teams were playing games here) and watched a Real Madrid game. And I fell in love with their style and players. My advice, go into the first few weeks with no allegiance and just watch the big teams (Chelsea, Liverpool, arsenal, the Manchester teams). See which one you like as far as style, uniforms, stadiums, players. You can't force fandom, but if you let yourself be open to it, you'll fall in love for a team pretty fast. Now, Real Madrid aren't in the EPL, but you get the idea. The games are on NBC/ NBCSN. Also, watch the champions league games. That'll get you a mix of the English and other top clubs in Europe. That's on fox sports networks. I think the schedules have just been released, so you can find those on the web pretty easily. And don't worry about not knowing the game or rules or teams off the bat. You won't have to actively research to learn it, you'll pick it up by watching it. That would be my advice and that's how I got to where I am on soccer probably being my 1a or 1b favorite sport

07-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Answered in order.

August 16, 2014
Some on NBC, others on NBC Sports
There are the big four - Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Manchester United. I pull for the Mississippi State of the EPL - Tottenham.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Manchester city is bigger than Liverpool right now. Two titles in last three years. If I were to say which way to lean as a fan, I would direct you to man city and Chelsea cadaver. But, like I said, go in open and you'll find one you like

TheRef
07-01-2014, 07:37 PM
I'm a Swansea City FC fan myself.

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys. Glad the seasons are about to start. Keep em coming...I'd like to see who the consensus teams to cheer for are on the board. We may have to start an EPL or Champions League discussion thread from time to time.

TheRef
07-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks guys. Glad the seasons are about to start. Keep em coming...I'd like to see who the consensus teams to cheer for are on the board. We may have to start an EPL or Champions League discussion thread from time to time.

I'm planning on doing a monthly EPL update thread.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 07:41 PM
My team. Real Madrid. When watching EPL I tend to pull for Chelsea. Most similar is style of play (same formation, stuff like that)

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Also, I've said it before, but if anyone is kinda trying to get into the sport, watch a Real Madrid Barcelona game. Biggest rivalry in any sport on earth. It's insanely intense

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-01-2014, 07:43 PM
I'm a Swansea City FC fan myself.
Why is that?

TheRef
07-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Why is that?

Met a guy from Swansea and he got me hooked on the team. My first EPL love.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm planning on doing a monthly EPL update thread.
Good. I think we should start the season w one and make a new one monthly w updated tables and the upcoming month's big games. I'll try to help with updates on Spain too bc that's what I watch too.

TheRef
07-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Good. I think we should start the season w one and make a new one monthly w updated tables and the upcoming month's big games. I'll try to help with updates on Spain too bc that's what I watch too.

If you can do La Liga, I'll do EPL. Anyone feel like doing Serie A or Bundalista?

BrunswickDawg
07-01-2014, 07:52 PM
I'm still trying to decide too - got into games again this season with them being on NBCS. Leaning to Liverpool b/c they were big when I was a kid - plus the "we will never walk alone" chant they do is pretty awesome. Followed Fulham some - just because of the Shad Khan/JAX Jaguars link (worst owner in both football and futbol). I also follow Celtic and Kilmarnock in the Scottish League just for something different

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 07:54 PM
I'm still trying to decide too - got into games again this season with them being on NBCS. Leaning to Liverpool b/c they were big when I was a kid - plus the "we will never walk alone" chant they do is pretty awesome. Followed Fulham some - just because of the Shad Khan/JAX Jaguars link (worst owner in both football and futbol). I also follow Celtic and Kilmarnock in the Scottish League just for something different

Unfortunately Fulham got relegated. Also, I would've probably recommended Liverpool as well if it weren't for Suarez missing 4 months, which will likely make them hard to get into at first. I do think they have the best fans in England tho

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 07:55 PM
If you can do La Liga, I'll do EPL. Anyone feel like doing Serie A or Bundalista?

Yeah, I'll try to do that. I'll lump it with the EPL one and make it less extensive just to keep the curmudgeon's and coach's from being bothered too much. I'll try to make sure you all know when the Barcelona Real Madrid games are tho. Those are unmissable

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Unfortunately Fulham got relegated

What's that mean?

NCAA sanctions? Recruiting violation?**

TheRef
07-01-2014, 07:56 PM
What's that mean?

Basically if you're last place in the EPL, you get dropped down to the 2nd league

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-01-2014, 07:56 PM
I was going to start a thread similar to this asking for help finding a team to pull for in the EPL this year. I started watching the EPL stuff on NBC Sports during Christmas break last year for lack of better things to do and ended up really enjoying it. So I am trying to find a team to pull for this year. I refuse to be like Ref and pull for an MSU equivalence of the EPL. I've been leaning towards Arsenal simply because I played a full season with them in FIFA on Xbox and know the players. Any reasons why this would be a bad choice?

Dawg61
07-01-2014, 07:58 PM

You'll immediately like Everton because their goalie is Tim Howard. I am yet to have a favorite team rise up for me. I like watching Man U, Man City, Everton, Liverpool (can't believe Suarez did that shit again) Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenheim. I'm holding out hope that in the next ten years USA will get a team or two in that league and then I will instantly have my team. (I know Smoot it is impossible you say but I disagree so let's just disagree).

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 08:00 PM
What's that mean?

Means 3 worst teams in first division are sent down to the second division and the top three there are called up. Think of it like sending the three worst mlb teams down to aaa. Obviously they are independently owned, but you get the idea. This creates huge drama in games between the worst teams. Games btwn the bottom teams at the end of the season are almost more intense than the battle for the title. The playoff game in the second division of England that decides who gets called up is called the richest game on the planet bc of the money difference

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 08:02 PM
I was going to start a thread similar to this asking for help finding a team to pull for in the EPL this year. I started watching the EPL stuff on NBC Sports during Christmas break last year for lack of better things to do and ended up really enjoying it. So I am trying to find a team to pull for this year. I refuse to be like Ref and pull for an MSU equivalence of the EPL. I've been leaning towards Arsenal simply because I played a full season with them in FIFA on Xbox and know the players. Any reasons why this would be a bad choice?

Nope. Arsenal are one of my teams I try to watch too. They play a pretty style of soccer

ShotgunDawg
07-01-2014, 08:02 PM
What's that mean?

England has different levels of leagues. The reason the "English Premier League" has the word "Premier" in it is because it is their top league. I believe the bottom 2 teams in the EPL standing each year get bumped down to the 2nd tier league and so on.

Being relegated would be like finishing last in the SEC West got you sent to Conference USA and the winner of CUSA was promoted to the SEC West.

BrunswickDawg
07-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately Fulham got relegated
I forgot to mention that. Did I mention Shad Khan sucks? Great mustache, terrible owner.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 08:04 PM
England has different levels of leagues. The reason the "English Premier League" has the word "Premier" in it is because it is their top league. I believe the bottom 2 teams in the EPL standing each year get bumped down to the 2nd tier league and so on.

Being relegated would be like finishing last in the SEC West got you sent to Conference USA and the winner of CUSA was promoted to the SEC West.
Bottom three down, top three sent up

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 08:05 PM
I forgot to mention that. Did I mention Shad Khan sucks? Great mustache, terrible owner.

Haha yes completely agree. They've mad some questionable buys recently. Stekelenberg being an obvious one

BrunswickDawg
07-01-2014, 08:08 PM
Haha yes completely agree. They've mad some questionable buys recently. Stekelenberg being an obvious one
And he thought Blaine Gabbert was a 1st round pick. I wish the NFL would relegate the Jags

ShotgunDawg
07-01-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm holding out hope that in the next ten years USA will get a team or two in that league and then I will instantly have my team. (I know Smoot it is impossible you say but I disagree so let's just disagree).

I've thought about this as well. If the EPL or Champions League wants to make more money, they should consider adding this new New York FC to the Champions League or EPL at some point. NY is close enough to Europe for the travel to be doable, and it would give the entire United States a rooting interest. With NY FC being backed by the Yankees and Manchester City, it would have the finances and built in legitimacy to develop into a world wide power over time.

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 08:12 PM
I've thought about this as well. If the EPL or Champions League wants to make more money, they should consider adding this new New York FC to the Champions League or EPL at some point. NY is close enough to Europe for the travel to be doable, and it would give the entire United States a rooting interest. With NY FC being backed by the Yankees and Manchester City, it would have the finances and built in legitimacy to develop into a world wide power over time.

If soccer fans want the sport to grow in the US, do this and it will happen. The whole country would get behind that team much like they did during the WC. It would be big for soccer in the US imo

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 08:12 PM

Champions league is a tournament, not a real league w consistent teams. The teams that play in it get into it based on their finish in their domestic league the season before. Each domestic league (EPL is England's domestic league for example) gets an allotment of places in the champions league and they get in on qualification. So, don't ever expect a us team in that or the EPL. They don't need our money, they make plenty.

Also, there is the CONCACAF champions league here that MLS teams play in. It's the same exact concept

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Champions league is a tournament, not a real league w consistent teams. The teams that play in it get into it based on their finish in their domestic league the season before. Each domestic league (EPL is England's domestic league for example) gets an allotment of places in the champions league and they get in on qualification. So, don't ever expect a us team in that or the EPL. They don't need our money, they make plenty.

Also, there is the CONCACAF champions league here that MLS teams play in. It's the same exact concept

So MLS teams can make the Champions League tourney if they ever get good enough? They could play teams like Real Madrid or Man U?

TheRef
07-01-2014, 08:16 PM
So MLS teams can make the Champions League tourney if they ever get good enough? They could play teams like Real Madrid or Man U?

It's the UEFA Champions League. So it can't happen, sadly, unless we put an American team in a UEFA league.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 08:18 PM

No. The European teams play in the UEFA champions league (united European football associations). The MLS teams play in CONCACAF champions league (Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football). They are tournaments w the same design, different regions. Think of it like football conferences that don't play each other. We can qualify to play in the SEC title game, not the PAC12 tho.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 08:20 PM
UEFA is the governing body of all teams in Europe. CONCACAF in the regions posted, Conmebol in South America. They are basically the individual "state governments" to fifa "federal govt". We can't make laws in Alabama, just like we can't play games in UEFA

YoungB
07-01-2014, 08:24 PM
I follow City

ShotgunDawg
07-01-2014, 08:29 PM
I understand all this, but these leagues, like the NFL, always want to make more money. If the United States can offer enough additional revenue to the Champions League then the Champions League or EPL needs to pull an SEC with Missouri and Texas A&M and add a United States team or MLS to their league. The CONCACAF champions league sucks because the Mexico doesn't have the money or resources to ever attract top talent. The United States has that capability. It's a win win for soccer if this happens. Soccer will continue to grow between the World Cup years because America will have a unified rooting interest, and the EPL or Champions League will make money.

There is tons of money to be made off the United States for soccer. In the last two World Cups, US soccer fans have bought more tickets than any other country with the exceptions of the hosts.

The EPL and Champions Leagues would be stupid not to add us.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 08:32 PM
I think their fears is how many Europeans would basically lose their shit and turn away from it if that happened. I'll just say this, as someone who works in soccer, watches it nearly daily, and always reads about it, it'll never happen in most of our lifetimes. Maybe, MAYBE, in sixty years. Just don't count on that anytime soon.

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 08:32 PM
I follow City

Thanks, Post more

MaxedOutMaroon
07-01-2014, 08:38 PM
My advice is to choose a team that you might get to watch in person. For example, I'm an Arsenal fan, partially because they are in London and I will probably see them one day

Dawg61
07-01-2014, 08:42 PM
So, don't ever expect a us team in that or the EPL. They don't need our money, they make plenty.

It's only a matter of time. EPL will plateau soon if they don't tap into the gold mine that is the US market. Billionaire owners are ALWAYS interested in more money. The EPL is a business. They've already started tapping into the market and ESPN amongst other big businesses are going to basically demand the US market soon on the EPL. Adidas, Nike, Coke, Budweiser etc.. are all going to force the willing hand of the EPL. When Man U is presented the opportunity to double or triple their value they will welcome a US franchise instantly. Enough with the snooty British elitism attitude with their precious league. USA is coming whether the Brits like it or not. We'll gladly give them an NFL franchise or two and start tapping into their market too. There's multiple NFL owners that also own EPL teams and even more that own MLS teams. You think the owners and major businesses didn't notice the huge reaction the entire USA had these last three weeks? Come on bro. It is happening. Same with the NBA. These leagues are going global.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm sure you know more, you're right

Intramural All-American
07-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Here's just a littler reference of the EPL players in the game today.

Belgium: Romelu Lukaku (Chelsea, played for Everton this past year), Jan Vertoengen (Tottenham), Thomas Vermaelen (Arsenal), Marouane Fellaini (Manchester United), Vincent Kompany (Manchester City) Kevin Mirallas (Everton), Eden Hazard (Chelsea), Nacer Chadli (Tottenham), Kevin De Bruyne (plays in Germany now, but started this past year at Chelsea), Adnan Januzaj (Manchester United), Simon Mignolet (Liverpool), Christian Benteke who has a torn Achilles plays for Aston Villa. I believe 12 of their 23 players play in the EPL.

USA: Tim Howard (Everton), Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa). We have 4 players in the EPL.

Other notable players: Luis Suarez (Uruguay-Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (England-Manchester United) Robin Van Persie (Netherlandsj-Manchester United), Mesuit Ozil (Germany-Arsenal), Lucas Podolski (Germany-Arsenal), Per Mertesacker (Germany-Arsenal)

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 08:49 PM
You could even argue that La Liga has been a better league over the past few seasons, so that list is missing huge names in other leagues across Europe

mstatefan91
07-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Yeah I'm about to get into it myself this season. I've resisted long enough

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 08:59 PM
If anyone wants, I can give a slight little rundown of the bigger teams so y'all can know a little about them. Consensus seems that a lot y'all don't know much but wanna get into it, so if you think it'll help I can do that. If not I won't bother

mstatefan91
07-01-2014, 09:05 PM
If anyone wants, I can give a slight little rundown of the bigger teams so y'all can know a little about them. Consensus seems that a lot y'all don't know much but wanna get into it, so if you think it'll help I can do that. If not I won't bother

I know a little bit but never cared to get into it for whatever reason. One of my best friends is a huge Liverpool fan so I'll probably just watch with him. Dunno if I'll wind up going for LP or not but it's a good starting point.

gtowndawg
07-01-2014, 09:07 PM
After the last World Cup, it was the only team I knew to follow because of Tim Howard. I've sort of developed a bond with them now over the last 4 years. Donavon was on loan with them for a while and those were fun games to watch with him and Howard both playing.

Dawg61
07-01-2014, 09:25 PM

Go for it

hacker
07-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Means 3 worst teams in first division are sent down to the second division and the top three there are called up. Think of it like sending the three worst mlb teams down to aaa. Obviously they are independently owned, but you get the idea. This creates huge drama in games between the worst teams. Games btwn the bottom teams at the end of the season are almost more intense than the battle for the title. The playoff game in the second division of England that decides who gets called up is called the richest game on the planet bc of the money difference

SB Nation or one of those online magazines did a "what if college football had European-style relegation?" series. It was pretty interesting.

Intro by EDSBS guy: http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/5/14/3018796/college-football-relegation-realignment-american-sports
FAQ: http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/5/15/3019644/college-conference-realignment-relegation
Relegation plan: http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/5/16/3022653/conference-realignment-college-football-relegation
2012 in action: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/12/26/3804108/2012-college-football-relegation
Updated for 2013-2014: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/2/11/5394880/college-football-promotion-relegation-2013-2014

All stories: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-relegation

hacker
07-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Ok, I'm going to try and watch English Premier League. Give me your advice on the following....

Had same questions earlier. I found this nice consolidated schedule on foxsports: http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/schedule?competition=0&season=0&date=2014-08-05

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 09:30 PM

I would appreciate that. Thanks

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Had same questions earlier. I found this nice consolidated schedule on foxsports: http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/schedule?competition=0&season=0&date=2014-08-05

Nice. Thanks man. All of you other newbies keep me in the loop and maybe we'll root for the same clubs

hacker
07-01-2014, 09:35 PM
I understand all this, but these leagues, like the NFL, always want to make more money. If the United States can offer enough additional revenue to the Champions League then the Champions League or EPL needs to pull an SEC with Missouri and Texas A&M and add a United States team or MLS to their league. The CONCACAF champions league sucks because the Mexico doesn't have the money or resources to ever attract top talent. The United States has that capability. It's a win win for soccer if this happens. Soccer will continue to grow between the World Cup years because America will have a unified rooting interest, and the EPL or Champions League will make money.

There is tons of money to be made off the United States for soccer. In the last two World Cups, US soccer fans have bought more tickets than any other country with the exceptions of the hosts.

The EPL and Champions Leagues would be stupid not to add us.

But is there any precedent of a domestic league adding a team from another country? EPL is all England (or UK, maybe?), La Liga is all Spain, Serie A is all Italy, Bundesliga is all Germany. AFAIK, anyway.

TheRef
07-01-2014, 09:37 PM
But is there any precedent of a domestic league adding a team from another country? EPL is all England (or UK, maybe?), La Liga is all Spain, Serie A is all Italy, Bundesliga is all Germany. AFAIK, anyway.

Nope...No precendent of an outside country's team being added to a top-tier league.

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 09:38 PM
What is the FA Cup? I was look for EPL in the link Hacker linked....but the first EPL teams listed were under FA Cup instead of EPL? Do they start the season off with a tourney or something?

Says Arsenal vs Man City

TheRef
07-01-2014, 09:41 PM
What is the FA Cup? I was look for EPL in the link Hacker linked....but the first EPL teams listed were under FA Cup instead of EPL? Do they start the season off with a tourney or something?

Says Arsenal vs Man City

The FA Cup is a British tournament involving all of the leagues. Basically it's a big free-for-all to give some of the smaller teams some exposure against the EPL teams. It's actually pretty cool

hacker
07-01-2014, 09:42 PM

Says Arsenal vs Man City

I was actually wondering the same. Found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FA_Community_Shield

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 09:43 PM
The FA Cup is a British tournament involving all of the leagues. Basically it's a big free-for-all to give some of the smaller teams some exposure against the EPL teams. It's actually pretty cool

All of the different leagues and tournaments are confusing as shit. So technically a team can be playing EPL, Champions, and FA Cup at the same time? Just alternating games accordingly?

hacker
07-01-2014, 09:45 PM
All of the different leagues and tournaments are confusing as shit. So technically a team can be playing EPL, Champions, and FA Cup at the same time? Just alternating games accordingly?

It's pretty confusing, but I like it. I wish there was more interleague play in our sports.

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 09:48 PM
It's pretty confusing, but I like it. I wish there was more interleague play in our sports.

So who won the Champions League last year?

TheRef
07-01-2014, 09:56 PM
So who won the Champions League last year?

Real Madrid 4-1 over Atletico Madrid

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 10:00 PM
Real Madrid 4-1 over Atletico Madrid

Sorry for all the questions....

Can 2 teams from the same league face off in the Champions League Final? Or do they align it to where they can't?

TheRef
07-01-2014, 10:01 PM
Sorry for all the questions....

Can 2 teams from the same league face off in the Champions League Final? Or do they align it to where they can't?

Oh they can. And they do. Basically they just seed all of the teams based on where they finished in their respective leagues. Real and Atletico are both from La Liga

Dawg61
07-01-2014, 10:01 PM
SB Nation or one of those online magazines did a "what if college football had European-style relegation?" series. It was pretty interesting.

Intro by EDSBS guy: http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/5/14/3018796/college-football-relegation-realignment-american-sports
FAQ: http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/5/15/3019644/college-conference-realignment-relegation
Relegation plan: http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/5/16/3022653/conference-realignment-college-football-relegation
2012 in action: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/12/26/3804108/2012-college-football-relegation
Updated for 2013-2014: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/2/11/5394880/college-football-promotion-relegation-2013-2014

All stories: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-relegation

Still reading but I wanted to say that this is absolutely hilarious and would be highly entertaining if it did happen. Ole Miss has gotten demoted twice already haha.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Here's is my kind of dumbed down version of the bigger teams in EPL. I won't go much into history, cause you can find that online, but I'll kinda show ya what you'll get from them looking at them on the field this season.

Arsenal- Wouldnt quite consider them a true title contender, but with one or two big signings they could be. More likely goal for them is to finish in the top four and qualify for the Champions League (CL). They have a great stadium, and are known for having one of the best playing surfaces in the world. They will play a slower, possession based game built on short, compact passes to score. Their aim is usually to win the possession battle to win the game. If you can appreciate possession and smart, slow buildup passing, then this is your team. Nickname: Gunners

Chelsea- Come into the fold recently as a title contender and winner. Third place last year, not by much. Their russian owner, Roman Abromavich (sp?) has pumped a ton of money into the team. Their big problem last season was that they had no consistent striker, so they just bought Diego Costa of Spain, the third leading scorer in La Liga. Solid defense, solid midfield, really strong attack built off speed on the wings with players dribbling inside to create shots and chances and creativity in the middle. Coached by Jose Mourinho, who is a character on the bench. If you like that kinda coach, you'll like them. I expect them to win the title this year. Nickname: Blues

Liverpool- overachieved last season, finishing second. Best player is Suarez (the biter) and he will miss time at the start of the year. He led the league w 31 goals, so you can imagine the loss. Solid midfield, good attack, some questions in defense. Gave up a ton of goals last season and scored more. They probably have some of the best fans in europe, and have some great traditions. Look them up. They are the team with all the history but not much recent success, but always are a team to keep an eye on. If you love tradition, crazy fans, they are for you. Hideous away unis tho (called kits in soccer, if you wanna sound smart)…. Expect them to finish fighting for the fourth spot, probably fifth, I think last year was bit of a fluke. Nickname: Reds

Manchester United- Second biggest club on earth, best history in England. Last year was terrible for them, but they've added some small pieces that will help them. Play a typical english game of possession and physical defense. Not england's most talented or exciting team, but will be a lot better. Loads of cash, but haven't spent it well lately imo. Great stadium (nicknamed theater of dreams). I expect them to be down again, but not as bad as last season, fighting liverpool for the last spot in the Champions League, fourth or fifth in the table (standings). THey have a new coach, who is the coach of the Dutch, who should bring stability. May take a year or two for them to get back to the top. Nickname: Red devils

Manchester city- Reigning champs. Also new to the championship scene due to huge influx of money. Big spenders recently and probably tied with Chelsea for most talented team. Have a ton of big name attacking options and will score loads of goals. They play a nice mix of possession and fast football, and love to attack. Have some good creators and a very strong midfield as well. A lot of people first getting into the EPL like them bc they play an exciting style. I make a point to watch them, and I'm not really a fan of them. They just play good ball. I expect them to finish second, and really push for the title. Just hard to win twice in a row, so I picked Chelsea to win. Nickname: Citizens

Tottenham- Probably the worst on the list. Have good history, but in recent memory have been meh. Should probably finish somewhere mid to high table, like 6th or 7th. They are in london, and bc of that and their history have a good following both across the pond and in the states. Past two off seasons they sold their best player to real madrid, but haven't gotten much production from the people brought in to replace them. No real title or CL qualifying threat. If you like an underdog, you'll pull for them. Nickname: Hotspurs

Thats all I got, and just tried to get your feet wet. I'm no expert and you can obviously find more on these teams online, but I am a huge soccer fan and want more people to get into it so I can talk about it! Hope it helps get you all into it and hope we can have good discussions this season. Feel free to ask me more if you want.

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Oh they can. And they do. Basically they just seed all of the teams based on where they finished in their respective leagues. Real and Atletico are both from La Liga

So if they split, and one wins their League Tourney and the other wins the Champions league in a rematch....who has the bragging rights? Who is the "Champion"?

TheRef
07-01-2014, 10:05 PM
So if they split, and one wins their League Tourney and the other wins the Champions league in a rematch....who has the bragging rights? Who is the "Champion"?

Technically they're both champions...But they will have played multiple "Derbies" which are inter-city games. That's where you determine the true bragging rights.

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Thanks Dudy. Helps a lot. I'm leaning towards Arsenal, Man City, or Everton for an underdog. But going to watch them all play before deciding. Thanks again for the info

CadaverDawg
07-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Technically they're both champions...But they will have played multiple "Derbies" which are inter-city games. That's where you determine the true bragging rights.

So no true "Super Bowl"?

TheRef
07-01-2014, 10:15 PM
So no true "Super Bowl"?

I mean the best example of a full Super Bowl would be the UEFA Champions League, in my opinion.

cheat2win
07-01-2014, 10:17 PM
The Suarez suspension wont kill Liverpool when he goes to Barcelona for Alexis Sanchez and 30-50 mill.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 10:18 PM
I mean the best example of a full Super Bowl would be the UEFA Champions League, in my opinion.

No Super Bowl as far as domestic leagues go. The champions league final is actually bigger worldwide than the Super Bowl, and my team won it this season so it was great. Real Madrid now has ten, the most CL trophies of any team.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 10:19 PM
The Suarez suspension wont kill Liverpool when he goes to Barcelona for Alexis Sanchez and 30-50 mill.

Don't think that will happen anytime soon now, and certainly not for that much money if it does. Still could, but he cost himself and Liverpool a lot of money

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 10:20 PM

Both. One can brag about winning the league, others can brag about winning the European crown (CL)

hacker
07-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Are there any stupid salary cap rules or anything in these leagues? Or can they just throw as much money as they want at it?

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks Dudy. Helps a lot. I'm leaning towards Arsenal, Man City, or Everton for an underdog. But going to watch them all play before deciding. Thanks again for the info

Gun to my head, if I had to pick my favorite English team, it would be arsenal. Love watching their passing game and their stadium and field are simply beautiful. So I would push you to that. Like I said, if you can appreciate good passing and possession, they're your team

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Are there any stupid salary cap rules or anything in these leagues? Or can they just throw as much money as they want at it?

There is a fifa fair play, which is trying to cut down on the super clubs kinda thing of buying anyone and everyone. But it is much different than our style caps and I can't even understand it. But the basic answer to that is no, not really a salary cap. It's mostly making teams pay fines for breaking the fifa fair play rules

hacker
07-01-2014, 10:28 PM
There is a fifa fair play, which is trying to cut down on the super clubs kinda thing of buying anyone and everyone. But it is much different than our style caps and I can't even understand it. But the basic answer to that is no, not really a salary cap. It's mostly making teams pay fines for breaking the fifa fair play rules

Good.

Oh, btw, to you other noobs, it's "re-all" Madrid, not "reel" Madrid. One of my friends said "reel" Madrid the other day and it cracked me up.

hacker
07-01-2014, 10:29 PM
This probably makes you happy, Dudy: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2676219/James-Rodriguez-moves-closer-40m-Real-Madrid.html

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 10:33 PM
This probably makes you happy, Dudy: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2676219/James-Rodriguez-moves-closer-40m-Real-Madrid.html

Ehh. I don't know. Don't get me wrong, Rodriguez is a stud, but I don't want to lose di Maria. He's had a huge year, and we want to keep him. What's taken this likely move so long is that we want to keep both. Hope we can find a way to do that. May have to lose some younger talent, but it can happen. Also been rumors of Falcao moving to Real this summer too, and both have publicly said they want to play for us.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Also looks like we are readying a move for Toni Kroos from Germany.

The transfer window opened this morning, so expect tons of news and rumors. Will keep y'all posted. For those who don't know, the transfer window is two months now and one in January. It makes it legal for teams to try to buy players from other teams.

smootness
07-01-2014, 10:40 PM
I would be beyond shocked if Real Madrid dropped Di Maria, one of their best players last year and someone who has already proven himself at that level (and is himself having a fantastic World Cup), for a guy who just jumped onto the scene.

The price would also be ridiculous for Monaco, they would end up making hardly anything.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 10:46 PM
I would be beyond shocked if Real Madrid dropped Di Maria, one of their best players last year and someone who has already proven himself at that level (and is himself having a fantastic World Cup), for a guy who just jumped onto the scene.

The price would also be ridiculous for Monaco, they would end up making hardly anything.

I would feel the same except we did the same with ozil. We still won two trophies but we missed him. I really hope we learned our lesson from it tho and find some young guys we can offload to keep Di Maria and get James.

Would definitely expect either Benzema or Morata to leave if we go for Falcao tho. Teams like Real Madrid don't need the transfer market to make money

smootness
07-01-2014, 11:02 PM
I'm not talking about Real making money on the James deal, I'm talking about Monaco. They just signed him for almost as much as they're going to sell him for, and they're not going to reap the benefits of having him first? I just don't buy that.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 11:09 PM
I'm not talking about Real making money on the James deal, I'm talking about Monaco. They just signed him for almost as much as they're going to sell him for, and they're not going to reap the benefits of having him first? I just don't buy that.

They have come into a huuuuge amount of cash as well with new owners, so it won't hurt them much. He did get them into the CL this season, so he did give some benefits. I think they realize they can get a few very good players for what Real will pay them, and if they don't sell he will bitch and moan until they do bc he wants to be in Madrid. That's the power of a team like Real Madrid. Everyone on earth that isn't born in Barcelona wants to play for them

Charlie_Sheen420
07-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Arsenal all the way! How can you not love a team that has a cannon on its logo? Plus the red/white home kit is niiiicccceeee. The away kit is ehhhhhh. That's just my opinion though. They are changing to Puma this year and are set to reveal the new kit soon after being with Nike for several years. Not a bad team to be a fan of

War Machine Dawg
07-02-2014, 12:31 AM
Thought I'd chime in and say between the WC games and you gents' discussion of the EPL, I'm on the verge of giving soccer a shot as well. Full disclosure, I actually watched parts of the last UEFA tournament and enjoyed it. Like Cadaver, I'd probably start with the EPL. Based on Dudy's brief team bios, I'd probably lean towards Chelsea or Man City. Man City if for no other reason than to irritate the hell out of the legions of Man U fans, including one of my buddies locally.

DudyDawg
07-02-2014, 08:20 AM
Thought I'd chime in and say between the WC games and you gents' discussion of the EPL, I'm on the verge of giving soccer a shot as well. Full disclosure, I actually watched parts of the last UEFA tournament and enjoyed it. Like Cadaver, I'd probably start with the EPL. Based on Dudy's brief team bios, I'd probably lean towards Chelsea or Man City. Man City if for no other reason than to irritate the hell out of the legions of Man U fans, including one of my buddies locally.

Haha that's as good a reason to choose a team as any I guess

Vandownbytheriver
07-02-2014, 08:42 AM
I root for Everton because of Howard and they've had Donovan on loan before. In MLS, I root for the Timbers because of the way they sing the National Anthem. I'd kill for an MLS team to come to Memphis or Jackson to have a regional team to root for.

TheRef
07-02-2014, 08:50 AM
I root for Everton because of Howard and they've had Donovan on loan before. In MLS, I root for the Timbers because of the way they sing the National Anthem. I'd kill for an MLS team to come to Memphis or Jackson to have a regional team to root for.

Timbers are cool. I like their goal celebration. Cut a disc from a log on the pitch and pass the disc up the crowd.
I also like the Sounders. They are a rowdy bunch.

CadaverDawg
07-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Timbers are cool. I like their goal celebration. Cut a disc from a log on the pitch and pass the disc up the crowd.
I also like the Sounders. They are a rowdy bunch.

I like the Sounders

Pioneer Dawg
07-02-2014, 08:52 AM
Pick you a top team to get the full Europe wide experience but also try to follow a mid tier team. Gives you more of a cultural feel.

Example. Follow Arsenal and Sunderland.

DawgHouseUnited
07-02-2014, 10:03 AM

Best bet might be Nashville, but I'm like you- I'd love to have a team nearby.

DudyDawg
07-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Atlanta is getting their team in 2017 I believe, so that'll be a bit better. Hopefully, they can have success and we see a team move to Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans.

DudyDawg
07-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Also, keep your eyes on NYCFC with David Villa and Orlando City who just signed Kaka over the weekend. The MLS is booming unlike anything ever seen in the sports world

TheRef
07-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Atlanta is getting their team in 2017 I believe, so that'll be a bit better. Hopefully, they can have success and we see a team move to Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans.

I think if one comes in the area, it'll go to NOLA after Atlanta

Pioneer Dawg
07-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Should the MLS hold off on expanding to allow for higher concentration of talent among the current teams. I mean their plan to have 24 teams seems high for soccer even if its low compared to other American professional sports. Do we ever implement the relegation system? Are we currently part of the transfer/loan process that goes on in Europe? I know they used to have a mls draft... That's unusual right other clubs never draft.

DudyDawg
07-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Should the MLS hold off on expanding to allow for higher concentration of talent among the current teams. I mean their plan to have 24 teams seems high for soccer even if its low compared to other American professional sports. Do we ever implement the relegation system? Are we currently part of the transfer/loan process that goes on in Europe? I know they used to have a mls draft... That's unusual right other clubs never draft.

I think that 24 will be where the MLS stops, but that soccer will expand still here. I think once 24 is reached, we will continue to expand the NASL (North American Soccer League) to 24 as well, and after that we will see relegation/promotion. However, thats a slow process and you won't see it for ten years or so.

As far as transfers, yes, all of FIFA teams run on the same windows. July-end August and then again the month of January. So our rules are the same as far as transferring players.

Also, yes, we have a draft, but that is bc in Europe they have youth academies that the players' rights are team owned, so by the time they get old enough they are already under contract. Our draft is so that college players can graduate and get under contract from MLS teams.

Pioneer Dawg
07-02-2014, 10:49 AM
Also, yes, we have a draft, but that is bc in Europe they have youth academies that the players' rights are team owned, so by the time they get old enough they are already under contract. Our draft is so that college players can graduate and get under contract from MLS teams.

Will we eventually move away from this? I mean soccer players often are very good much earlier than college age right?

DudyDawg
07-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Will we eventually move away from this? I mean soccer players often are very good much earlier than college age right?

They are, but I'm not sure if we will move away from that, maybe just amend it. We need to make it where more players can sign easily right out of HS with MLS or NASL leagues to speed up development. Luckily there isn't a rule like in College baseball/football/bball about it that I know of forcing players to go to college, so it makes it easier for young kids to come out of HS, but more changes need to happen. As of right now, we have youth academies here, but they are more like select soccer in that they just play in tournaments and are used for development. The teams that own the academies do not own the players' rights, so they can't immediately have them once they are old enough and they can't sell them.

Another difference in our academies and european ones is that they send these kids to school as well. Look at Findlay prep in hs basketball. Its similar in that they are basically a boarding school that the kids live at and focus on soccer, the only difference is a pro team owns it. I think we need to make a change where MLS teams that own an academy also owns their players' rights.

I hope we move away from the draft, but I don't see it happening soon because our college programs are starting to improve a lot with the improvement in coaching, and the draft makes it easier for MLS teams to get their hands on those kids. Cancels out a bidding process so to speak that would make it hard for MLS teams to buy bigger names. It's to save money

smootness
07-02-2014, 12:28 PM
I think that 24 will be where the MLS stops, but that soccer will expand still here. I think once 24 is reached, we will continue to expand the NASL (North American Soccer League) to 24 as well, and after that we will see relegation/promotion. However, thats a slow process and you won't see it for ten years or so.

As far as transfers, yes, all of FIFA teams run on the same windows. July-end August and then again the month of January. So our rules are the same as far as transferring players.

I don't think this is ever going to happen. There's no incentive for MLS to do it, and it would threaten to kill a growing league. The reason it can work in England is because soccer is the most important thing, so it's not going to die, and because those teams have been around forever and have established fan bases.

What happens if the Atlanta MLS team is relegated and the Silverbacks are promoted? Are the MLS fans going to become Silverbacks fans? It just wouldn't work. The MLS needs to continue growing these fan bases. Instituting relegation would threaten to kill fan bases entirely. Just unnecessary and something that works in England but wouldn't here.

DudyDawg
07-02-2014, 12:33 PM
I agree, and by no means was trying to say that is about to happen or anything. I think it will eventually, like maybe in the late 2020s, but didn't mean to seem like it would anytime soon. Should've said something like 20 years from now, not ten

Dawgowar
07-02-2014, 08:20 PM

What is the most popular team to pull for if I'm going to simply choose a team? Who do you pull for, and what reputable players play for your team?

I'm making an effort bc I enjoyed the WC. Help me get started.

I am a Manchester United guy and likely fit your profile. I made the move back to soccer after the 2006 cup. My friends told me the WC was not the best way to enjoy getting back into the game. Find a team that you can access and plays a good attacking style.

United has owned the premier league most of the last 25 years. Their legendary coach stepped down last summer and picked soccer's version of Gerry Faust as a replacement. He blew it big time and got canned. The team has hired the dutch national team's coach to take over this summer after the WC. He will have 6-7 new players signed, a good core in place, and a massive fan base wanting blood. Good theater that comes on Saturday mornings before NCAA or NFL football - not a bad second sport.

The other teams mentioned are great as well. Chelsea is owned by one of Victor Putin's besets oil baron buddies, Liverpool by the Red Sox owner, Maanchester City are simply proof early Druids fornicated with feral sheep. Manchester United are owned by the Glazer family who own the Bucs. Hopefully they will sell the team soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrsm7ce5M7w

CadaverDawg
07-02-2014, 08:56 PM
I am a Manchester United guy and likely fit your profile. I made the move back to soccer after the 2006 cup. My friends told me the WC was not the best way to enjoy getting back into the game. Find a team that you can access and plays a good attacking style.

United has owned the premier league most of the last 25 years. Their legendary coach stepped down last summer and picked soccer's version of Gerry Faust as a replacement. He blew it big time and got canned. The team has hired the dutch national team's coach to take over this summer after the WC. He will have 6-7 new players signed, a good core in place, and a massive fan base wanting blood. Good theater that comes on Saturday mornings before NCAA or NFL football - not a bad second sport.

The other teams mentioned are great as well. Chelsea is owned by one of Victor Putin's besets oil baron buddies, Liverpool by the Red Sox owner, Maanchester City are simply proof early Druids fornicated with feral sheep. Manchester United are owned by the Glazer family who own the Bucs. Hopefully they will sell the team soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrsm7ce5M7w

Man, I appreciate this write up. This is exactly what I was looking for. Strong case for me to become a Man U fan. Thanks