PDA

View Full Version : USA vs Belgium Waffles Game Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 06:29 PM
So the Olympic US team won't be the same, correct? Didn't they ruin it by making it only young guys?

You have to have everyone 23 and under except for three guys who you can pick. So it's basically a weird youth tournament. It's a great tool to basically scout players, but doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of soccer. WC and domestic leagues are much more meaningful

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 06:32 PM
The sport is booming in the suburbs, but it's not going to mean much unless we get our better athletes to play the sport.

And I think that's starting to happen. You look at Yedlin and think he would've been a point guard or Jameon Lewis if he were born ten years ago. Look at Altidore. He's a freak athlete. More and more athletes are starting to play. And frankly more and more black kids are. It's not a secret that black people, on average, are a bit more athletic, and you're starting to see more of them choosing soccer over football. It's a number that, right now, isn't hurting football much but is helping soccer a ton.

ShotgunDawg
07-01-2014, 06:37 PM
And I think that's starting to happen. You look at Yedlin and think he would've been a point guard or Jameon Lewis if he were born ten years ago. Look at Altidore. He's a freak athlete. More and more athletes are starting to play. And frankly more and more black kids are. It's not a secret that black people, on average, are a bit more athletic, and you're starting to see more of them choosing soccer over football. It's a number that, right now, isn't hurting football much but is helping soccer a ton.

Agree

I feel like this is the same discussion we have about MSU trying to catch up with Bama and LSU. Go to bowls and improve incrementally.

Charlie_Sheen420
07-01-2014, 06:53 PM
I know one thing that will suck at Russia in 2018, and that is the time difference. Games will be on here in the early hours of the morning like they were in Japan/South Korea in 2002

ShotgunDawg
07-01-2014, 07:11 PM
I know one thing that will suck at Russia in 2018, and that is the time difference. Games will be on here in the early hours of the morning like they were in Japan/South Korea in 2002

That will very much suck, but I'm hoping that this Qatar thing really isn't going to happen and that FIFA will ask the US to host the 2022 world cup. We should be hosting it. Qatar has no business hosting and I wouldn't be surprised to see player boycott if they actually play it there.

Pioneer Dawg
07-01-2014, 07:14 PM
It's not a secret that black people, on average, are a bit more athletic, and you're starting to see more of them choosing soccer over football

Not in the South in any meaningful way.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Not in the South in any meaningful way.

That's why I put the rest of the post you didn't feel the need to highlight

hacker
07-01-2014, 07:20 PM
It did hurt us, but I'm not sure Jozy makes us better than Belgium. If Howard doesn't play the game of his life, we lose 3-1 or so.

Could've easily been 10-1

smootness
07-01-2014, 07:24 PM
So the Olympic US team won't be the same, correct? Didn't they ruin it by making it only young guys?

I love that they made it U-23. We don't need a bizarro World Cup, so they did need to change it up to some degree. And I love that we get to see some of the young up-and-comers.

It gives some young guys much needed experience at the top level of international soccer, and it makes it pretty exciting as well.

I can't wait to see guys like Yedlin, Green, and hopefully Zelalem playing for us in 2016.

hacker
07-01-2014, 07:26 PM

I actually enjoyed the early morning games. Roll out of bed and turn the TV on, watch some f?tbol while making some grits.

hacker
07-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Question: does anyone know of a website that has a nice consolidated schedule for all relevant soccer leagues? EPL, La Liga, Champions, international play, etc? Even MLS or other lower leagues? I'd like to just be able to look at a date and see which games if any will be played.

Edit: found this one, looks kinda like what I was looking for, but seems they omit a lot of games: http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/schedule?competition=0&season=0&date=2014-08-05

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Question: does anyone know of a website that has a nice consolidated schedule for all relevant soccer leagues? EPL, La Liga, Champions, international play, etc? Even MLS or other lower leagues? I'd like to just be able to look at a date and see which games if any will be played.

I don't know about each league together in one page, but go to the league home websites and that'll probably be your best bet

TheRef
07-01-2014, 07:40 PM
I don't know about each league together in one page, but go to the league home websites and that'll probably be your best bet

Agreed...most leagues play on Saturday. All you really have to do is find out who's playing and where.

DudyDawg
07-01-2014, 07:43 PM
EPL also has a weekly Monday game at about 2-3 each day. Usually two good teams

Brad Stevens
07-02-2014, 07:24 AM

Edit: found this one, looks kinda like what I was looking for, but seems they omit a lot of games: http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/schedule?competition=0&season=0&date=2014-08-05

Not a website - but if you have an iPhone, the CBS sports app has 13 different soccer leagues that you can look at for schedules. That includes MLS and every league you would probably care about.