PDA

View Full Version : New 2015 Baseball Commit

TheRef
06-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Colorado OF Greg Pickett.

Ranked #26 Nationally by Perfect Game.

Here's his profile: http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=353089

I think he goes to the draft, but a good commit regardless.

Dawg61
06-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Nice power, great commit

messageboardsuperhero
06-30-2014, 03:34 PM
The 2015 Amateur Draft is going to be pretty damn big for us. If we could somehow get two of Riley, Padgett, or Pickett to campus... Look out.

This guys is supposedly the top left-handed power bat in the entire 2015 class, so keeping him will be pretty tough. Either way, this is a nice get and the kind of player we should be going after- regardless of whether he goes pro or not.

engie
06-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Cohen can't recruit**

This is the most elite commitment(at the time of their commitment) that we've gotten yet in baseball. Pretty likely that's the national #1(pre-draft) recruiting class. I'd say it's almost locked in already...

messageboardsuperhero
06-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Good Lord, this Pickett kid can just flat out mash. Skip to the 40 second mark and listen to the ball explode off his bat while putting very little effort into his swing and staying balanced. Anyone who still thinks Cohen doesn't like/recruit power is just dead wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHKHfdqJvFE

ETA: For you gif lovers out there-

http://bigleaguefutures.net/1/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Greg-Pickett-OF-Legend-High-School-Swing-Mechanics-at-200-fps.gif

RossDawg82
06-30-2014, 03:45 PM
I wonder if he was at the theater when the Joker came in shooting.

Todd4State
06-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Not a lot to add other than I hope we get him. Elite power guys like this are usually highly sought after by MLB though as we all saw with Vallot and even Burdick to a degree.

Our OF group for this class is loaded though.

RF Pickett
CF- Mangum
LF- Blaylock

maroonmania
06-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Good news I guess. After the Vallot and Burdick losses its getting harder for me to get very enthused over a guy that we have about a 5% chance of keeping.

CadaverDawg
06-30-2014, 04:03 PM
This is HUGE news. Even if he doesn't make it to campus, it makes recruits from all over the country turn their head towards State and pay attention. Nice work yet again by Cohen and Co.

KB21
06-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Good news I guess. After the Vallot and Burdick losses its getting harder for me to get very enthused over a guy that we have about a 5% chance of keeping.

You have to sign them to be able to get them on campus. Hopefully this is a player that will tell teams that he wants to be a 1st round pick and wants 1st round money like Mac Marshall and Joe Godfrey, LSU's two commitments that will make it to campus.

If this team gets these guys on campus, John Cohen may be able to put together a line up similar to the one that had him, Tommy Raffo, Tracy Echols, Pete Young, Burke Masters, Richie Grayum, and Jody Hurst back in '88.

reddog
06-30-2014, 04:08 PM
a little Will the Thrill in him

Todd4State
06-30-2014, 04:26 PM
You have to sign them to be able to get them on campus. Hopefully this is a player that will tell teams that he wants to be a 1st round pick and wants 1st round money like Mac Marshall and Joe Godfrey, LSU's two commitments that will make it to campus.

If this team gets these guys on campus, John Cohen may be able to put together a line up similar to the one that had him, Tommy Raffo, Tracy Echols, Pete Young, Burke Masters, Richie Grayum, and Jody Hurst back in '88.

Good points. And we need to stop having our fans tell them to take the money instead of go to college.

We need to tell them to come to MSU so that they can make more money after they get drafted after their junior year.

Todd4State
06-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Here's some more Greg Pickett info.

He was one of five players from Colorado invited to the PG showcase.

His high school team looks like they only played 10 games the whole year. In those ten games, he hit 5 home runs, had 19 RBI's and hit .387.

MsStateBaseball
06-30-2014, 04:41 PM
This is the result of last year playing for NC. Kids like this see us and want to play for us. It is time that we get a whole bunch of great recruits, some will go MLB but the ones that are left will have a huge impact. Just need to do this every year. You are seeing just the beginning.

I foresee great players coming and then a new stadium going up. Just wait.

RattStevens
06-30-2014, 04:47 PM
He will only see campus from a TV. First round pick - a lock in the #mlbdraft and he has a better chance of winning the Heisman than Dak Prescott does.

RattStevens
06-30-2014, 04:48 PM
There is a better chance of me getting a beat writer job at Alabama than there is of him ever playing baseball at State.

maroonmania
06-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Good points. And we need to stop having our fans tell them to take the money instead of go to college.

We need to tell them to come to MSU so that they can make more money after they get drafted after their junior year.

Excellent point. And I'm still peeved about the Burdick deal because its ridiculous that we lost him. Either he wasn't being honest with our coaching staff or our coaching staff was just hoping against hope that his attitude toward playing college ball would change but we can't bank our future on HS guys willing to forgo their college career for 150K.

Homedawg
06-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Excellent point. And I'm still peeved about the Burdick deal because its ridiculous that we lost him. Either he wasn't being honest with our coaching staff or our coaching staff was just hoping against hope that his attitude toward playing college ball would change but we can't bank our future on HS guys willing to forgo their college career for 150K.

He was completely honest w our staff in the last 3 months. He wanted to sign.

State82
06-30-2014, 05:01 PM
What is the max scholly we could conceivably throw out to someone like this? 75%? More?

Todd4State
06-30-2014, 06:15 PM

Unfortunately, that's how it goes in the business of baseball. And it is a business at some point. I don't like it because I think it's outdated and I think it hurts baseball players as far as long term education goes, which you need nowadays more than ever and the money is less and less life changing than ever. If it were up to me, I'd have it so that the only guys that went pro out of high school were guys like Bryce Harper or Mike Trout- have an advisory board from MLB that tells these players their draft stock and if you aret a first or second round pick you can choose college or pro and the rest go to college. I'd also have it so that college players play for four years instead of being able to leave after three.

That said, I don't think Burdick misled our staff or anything. Cohen is really good about monitoring players signability, which is one reason why we haven't lost a lot of guys while he has been here. I think Burdick really wanted to come to MSU IF he went to college and we granted that wish- and came pretty darn close to getting him just from the standpoint that he almost went undrafted.

But for every Dale Burdick, there's a Hunter Renfroe, a Reid Humphreys, a Dakota Hudson that were drafted and came to school. Or even a guy like a Cole Gordon and a Jesse McCord that were draftable prospect that didn't sign.

It seems to me though that the new thing to do is just sign as many high end prospects as you can and then hope that a few come to school. I think the idea is, they won't come if they aren't committed. KB21 mentioned LSU as kind of an example of that, and I think North Carolina had the same philosophy and came out with a couple of high end players of their own. That may be what we start seeing Cohen do as well- with Riley, Padgett, and now Pickett.

Todd4State
06-30-2014, 06:17 PM
What is the max scholly we could conceivably throw out to someone like this? 75%? More?

We can give someone a 100% athletic scholarship if we wanted if you are talking in terms of max amount. It's very rare of course, just because of the amount that the NCAA allots teams.

In a perfect world, if you are Cohen you are hoping to find a guy that is a five tool dual position guy that gets a Schillig Scholarship or whatever they call it now.

KB21
06-30-2014, 06:57 PM
There is a better chance of me getting a beat writer job at Alabama than there is of him ever playing baseball at State.

And there is no chance that LSU gets Mac Marshall on campus.

MsStateBaseball
06-30-2014, 07:21 PM
We need to sign 18 every year w 3-5 high draft picks. Get one to campus. The high end player makes such an impact. Bunch them together and you have a great team.

maroonmania
06-30-2014, 07:44 PM
Unfortunately, that's how it goes in the business of baseball. And it is a business at some point. I don't like it because I think it's outdated and I think it hurts baseball players as far as long term education goes, which you need nowadays more than ever and the money is less and less life changing than ever. If it were up to me, I'd have it so that the only guys that went pro out of high school were guys like Bryce Harper or Mike Trout- have an advisory board from MLB that tells these players their draft stock and if you aret a first or second round pick you can choose college or pro and the rest go to college. I'd also have it so that college players play for four years instead of being able to leave after three.

That said, I don't think Burdick misled our staff or anything. Cohen is really good about monitoring players signability, which is one reason why we haven't lost a lot of guys while he has been here. I think Burdick really wanted to come to MSU IF he went to college and we granted that wish- and came pretty darn close to getting him just from the standpoint that he almost went undrafted.

But for every Dale Burdick, there's a Hunter Renfroe, a Reid Humphreys, a Dakota Hudson that were drafted and came to school. Or even a guy like a Cole Gordon and a Jesse McCord that were draftable prospect that didn't sign.

It seems to me though that the new thing to do is just sign as many high end prospects as you can and then hope that a few come to school. I think the idea is, they won't come if they aren't committed. KB21 mentioned LSU as kind of an example of that, and I think North Carolina had the same philosophy and came out with a couple of high end players of their own. That may be what we start seeing Cohen do as well- with Riley, Padgett, and now Pickett.

Oh I totally agree that you can't stop signing the high end guys. That was a fatal mistake that Polk made years ago because he lost a few players in the 80s to the draft and our program went downhill because of it. And I have no problem with losing guys going in the top rounds but I don't like losing players that look like they will pretty much sign with any half way decent offer like Burdick. If that's their attitude our staff needs to guage that and focus on some other players of like ability that have a better attitude toward college.

maroonmania
06-30-2014, 07:48 PM
He was completely honest w our staff in the last 3 months. He wanted to sign.

Being honest with our staff 3 months before the draft is not very helpful. Per the Tennessean article he's been wanting to sign professionally for a long time.

State82
06-30-2014, 08:12 PM
We can give someone a 100% athletic scholarship if we wanted if you are talking in terms of max amount. It's very rare of course, just because of the amount that the NCAA allots teams.

In a perfect world, if you are Cohen you are hoping to find a guy that is a five tool dual position guy that gets a Schillig Scholarship or whatever they call it now.

Yeah I know we COULD possibly give a full athletic, but would we ever do that for a guy like this? I want to say that the largest we gave recently was Easley and that was not full by any means. Just not sure.

Homedawg
06-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Being honest with our staff 3 months before the draft is not very helpful. Per the Tennessean article he's been wanting to sign professionally for a long time.

We knew when we took his commitment he was a draft possibility. This wasn't something that came out of left field. It's part of their job.

KB21
06-30-2014, 09:53 PM
You can't avoid recruiting players because they are draft risks. Maybe you don't build your entire class around 4-5 guys, but you have to recruit these guys to be able to get them on campus. Look at Vanderbilt's recruiting class. They have already lost Touki Toussaint, Cody Reed, and Justus Sheffield to the draft, and Dylan Cease is reportedly close to an agreement with the Cubs. That's a big ding to their class.

bulldogcountry1
06-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Once a player commits in baseball, how much time and effort does the staff continue to devote to said player until signing day? I was just curious because, if the staff is able to back off and devote time elsewhere, then it's definitely worth it to go after guys who have a good chance to go pro.

Homedawg
06-30-2014, 10:06 PM
Once a player commits in baseball, how much time and effort does the staff continue to devote to said player until signing day? I was just curious because, if the staff is able to back off and devote time elsewhere, then it's definitely worth it to go after guys who have a good chance to go pro.

It's not like football recruiting. You stay in regular contact w them because they have a future in your program- hopefully. Not like football, where you are in a 24 hr baby sitting surveillance. It doesn't keep you from going after and evaluating other guys.

Homedawg
06-30-2014, 10:09 PM
The last time we lost 4 guys in the draft of signees was 90. We lost 4 that year and 4 in 89. Then we went more conservative for the most part. Of course we were lucky in the class of 94 where we were able to hang onto dubose, piatt, freeman, and hauswald. But none of those were first rd guys.

KB21
06-30-2014, 10:36 PM
The last time we lost 4 guys in the draft of signees was 90. We lost 4 that year and 4 in 89. Then we went more conservative for the most part. Of course we were lucky in the class of 94 where we were able to hang onto dubose, piatt, freeman, and hauswald. But none of those were first rd guys.

There was a year under McMahon where we lost Aaron Capista, Brennan King, Dustin Krug, and I believe Kyle Freeman. I can't 100% remember if that was one year or two separate years. We also lost Matt Butler and Derry Hammond to the draft under McMahon. There were probably others. McMahon was a very good recruiter.

maroonmania
06-30-2014, 10:55 PM
We knew when we took his commitment he was a draft possibility. This wasn't something that came out of left field. It's part of their job.

Well, you are the one that talked about the last 3 months, not me, but now you are saying since we took his commitment. Look, I don't have a clue what was said between our staff and Burdick nor do I have a clue that you do either. I do say that if our staff knew that he could be offered that little and sign from the very beginning that we should have gone after another middle infielder.

maroonmania
06-30-2014, 10:59 PM

So what is the highest drafted guy that we have hung onto? Can't remember exactly where Clark and Palmeiro were drafted out of HS but that was a little before the money blew up so big. Since the mid-80s I don't know that we have ever held onto a guy drafted in the Top 3 or 4 rounds. Woodruff I believe was 5th round and he may be the highest.

bulldogcountry1
07-01-2014, 07:16 AM
It's not like football recruiting. You stay in regular contact w them because they have a future in your program- hopefully. Not like football, where you are in a 24 hr baby sitting surveillance. It doesn't keep you from going after and evaluating other guys.

To me, that makes it defintely worthwhile to go after these guys. Eventually, we are going to get some to campus, besides, you never know what might happen this far out from the draft with injuries and such. A guy could break a pinky toe playing grabass during the season, and we're golden.

Homedawg
07-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Well, you are the one that talked about the last 3 months, not me, but now you are saying since we took his commitment. Look, I don't have a clue what was said between our staff and Burdick nor do I have a clue that you do either. I do say that if our staff knew that he could be offered that little and sign from the very beginning that we should have gone after another middle infielder.

Yes. I said the last 3 months. Because that's when it gets a lot more specific w players and scouts and more so w him and us, concerning what he wants to sign. The writing was on the wall. The part about him being a draft possibility was always the case, from the day we took his commitment. And burdick probably wasn't going to play mid inf for us based on convos I've had. We signed holland it's his spot to lose.

Homedawg
07-01-2014, 08:29 AM
So what is the highest drafted guy that we have hung onto? Can't remember exactly where Clark and Palmeiro were drafted out of HS but that was a little before the money blew up so big. Since the mid-80s I don't know that we have ever held onto a guy drafted in the Top 3 or 4 rounds. Woodruff I believe was 5th round and he may be the highest.

Clark went in the 4th out of hs. I'm racking my brain and he and woodruff are the highest I remember.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Wasnt dubose or maholm drafted really high out of HS?

Homedawg
07-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Wasnt dubose or maholm drafted really high out of HS?

Dubose went in the 6th and maholm went in the 11th, if I remember correctly. However, maholm told teams he wasn't going to sign or he would have gone much higher. He still turned down a lot of money.

Todd4State
07-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Yeah I know we COULD possibly give a full athletic, but would we ever do that for a guy like this? I want to say that the largest we gave recently was Easley and that was not full by any means. Just not sure.

Possibly, but probably very rarely.

We use academic aid a lot. I have no idea how the staff actually allocates the scholarship money, but my guess is that they try to get our players as much academic aid as possible and then spread it out from there and as the NCAA makes them spread it out. Becasue tuition and etc. is essentially the same for a guy like Pickett or Austin Riley as it is for a walk-on, the staff doesn't have to necessarily "see" them as different in terms of value as related to scholarship money. Now, if a guy like a Mike Trout came along and wanted to go to MSU but had a C average and couldn't get any academic aid, I suspect that would be a case where a full scholarship would potentially be worth it.

Todd4State
07-01-2014, 05:42 PM

Our coaches evaluate signability constantly. They do this by talking to the player, his family, the high school coach sometimes, and scouts. We do that for every player so that we have a good idea what to expect. Heck, I know Cohen told Dan that Cord Sandberg was going pro.

It's just part of doing business in baseball, and everyone has to deal with it- especially SEC teams. But I would be very shocked if our coaches were surprised by Burdick. Normally once a player is drafted, they contact that player as soon as possible.

Believe it or not, it goes both ways because MLB has lost some players to college because the player has leverage and even though MLB wins most of the time, they still have to compete with college and MLB doesn't like that.

But three months is plenty of time to replace a guy. Or the coaches can choose to bank the scholarship money for another high end guy in the next class. Cohen and his staff are all the time scouting and sign players in the spring in part because of the draft- they know that they might lose some people out of high school and they need to be able to replace them as seamlessly as possible.

Todd4State
07-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Gene did an article on Greg Pickett that encouraged me a little as far as his signability. He comes from a MSU family even though he lives in Colorado. His Mom and uncles went to MSU and apparently he has some family in Columbus, MS. When Gene asked him about the draft, he said he hadn't really thought about it yet. Apparently his Mom had a class with Will Clark.

Certainly he is still a draft risk, but maybe slightly less than I thought.