PDA

View Full Version : MSU Football

CadaverDawg
06-30-2014, 03:12 PM
I'm watching the Liberty Bowl replay, and I had forgotten how shitty we looked until the end of the 1st quarter, and then Boom.

Dak, Robinson, Shumpert and either Holloway or Williams in the diamond.....Lewis in the slot with Bear deep, and MoJo and RoJo as possession guys...wow. We have the potential to explode offensively this year.

I don't think we all realize the impact that an offseason of continuity will have either. Dak didn't work preseason with this group much last year, and there's only so much you can develop between Saturdays. There's no telling how good this unit could be this fall after an offseason together and healthy.

And that's not even getting in to defense. I just watched Wells cover their best WR on a deep post, and then stuff a run play a few plays later. Then Cox at his natural position, Hughes healthy, and Preston Smith and Chris Jones getting a huge push. What if Nick James is who we think he is? Our secondary has Calhoun, Love, and Redmond to go with those Safety's? Are you kidding me. I'm starting to get really REALLY excited for football. And for the first time in a long time...I feel like the excitement is warranted.

I know it has become overused around here, but....

http://i.imgur.com/NGWvAKe.jpg

justwin
06-30-2014, 03:41 PM
I rewatched it on espnu this weekend as well.

My big takeaway is that Lewis & Wilson need to be on the field every play of the game. every play. The only thing that will hold us back in 2014 is the offense. If Dak can pitch the ball an extra 2-3 times a game when it's open on the option, the whole offense will take off. I also thought Dak threw the ball better than I thought he could. I don't have any concerns over our defense....Think the big thing is that both Browns got a bunch of game reps last year. Our LBs gave up some big runs in the LSU game last year & you know that LSU is going to build their offense around the rookie RB so we need to get him down on first contact.

Also, I hope that Lewis cutting off the dreads will help him keep his footing in 2014.

Coach34
06-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Nick James stepping up and playing to his talent would so huge.

CadaverDawg
06-30-2014, 04:36 PM

The thought of him being a beast this year and being on a line with Smith, Jones, and R Brown/Jefferson...wow

starkvegasdawg
06-30-2014, 05:41 PM

Just thinking of him and Jones in the middle is enough to make me want opening day to be tomorrow.

Dak4Heisman
06-30-2014, 05:57 PM
I approve this thread

Goat Holder
06-30-2014, 06:01 PM
I really hope you guys are right this time.

I've seen enough disappointment in my MSU fandom, let's see some busting of expectations. I've always liked the way Dan Mullen has run the program....we have the 'look' that only competent head coaches can instill. But we've always had weak links....personnel, a coordinator here or there, an injury here, a missed recruit there. Mullen sort of lost a little fire in 2011 but he kept it together, got the job done and now seems to have it back. We have a 3rd year DC and talent. We have a QB coming back who APPEARS to be a guy who may shake the mold of the typical MSU QB who gets fanfare and flames out. We have some senior leadership, especially on the OL where it's needed.

But we've said these things before. QBs have come and gone. We all know about the OL and K. I just want them to finally do it, let's take the next step, let's go to Atlanta, or beat a Top 10 team on national TV. Let's WIN the game, instead of giving it away (I'm still not over Auburn last year). It seems there for the taking. And man it will really help erase of the taste of really a pretty miserable baseball season (not because we sucked, just the whole deal with us, Ole Miss and Vandy winning it all).

BulldogBear
06-30-2014, 07:05 PM

I've seen enough disappointment in my MSU fandom, let's see some busting of expectations. I've always liked the way Dan Mullen has run the program....we have the 'look' that only competent head coaches can instill. But we've always had weak links....personnel, a coordinator here or there, an injury here, a missed recruit there. Mullen sort of lost a little fire in 2011 but he kept it together, got the job done and now seems to have it back. We have a 3rd year DC and talent. We have a QB coming back who APPEARS to be a guy who may shake the mold of the typical MSU QB who gets fanfare and flames out. We have some senior leadership, especially on the OL where it's needed.

But we've said these things before. QBs have come and gone. We all know about the OL and K. I just want them to finally do it, let's take the next step, let's go to Atlanta, or beat a Top 10 team on national TV. Let's WIN the game, instead of giving it away (I'm still not over Auburn last year). It seems there for the taking. And man it will really help erase of the taste of really a pretty miserable baseball season (not because we sucked, just the whole deal with us, Ole Miss and Vandy winning it all).

That's right. That's what I wanna see. I wanna see us go for the throat... the kill... 17 prevent defense except on a play by play basis... go for it on short yardage when the game is won if we make it. Not inside our own 40 but really, it's no harder to make a 4th and 1 than a 2nd and 1.

justwin
06-30-2014, 07:19 PM
justwin, Goat. JUST. WIN.

NBdawg17
06-30-2014, 07:37 PM
I want to see Dak with a extremely clean uniform those first 3 games. He has to stay healthy if we are to have the kind of season we all want.

CadaverDawg
06-30-2014, 07:43 PM
I want to see Dak with a extremely clean uniform those first 3 games. He has to stay healthy if we are to have the kind of season we all want.

Afraid you'll be disappointed. He will run and run often

Coach34
06-30-2014, 08:34 PM
Dakota will have 40 carries thru the first 3 games.

Leroy Jenkins
06-30-2014, 08:53 PM
I want the D to not give up a score in the last minute of the half like they did 63 times last year.

BeardoMSU
06-30-2014, 09:21 PM
I'm watching the Liberty Bowl replay, and I had forgotten how shitty we looked until the end of the 1st quarter, and then Boom.

Dak, Robinson, Shumpert and either Holloway or Williams in the diamond.....Lewis in the slot with Bear deep, and MoJo and RoJo as possession guys...wow. We have the potential to explode offensively this year.

I don't think we all realize the impact that an offseason of continuity will have either. Dak didn't work preseason with this group much last year, and there's only so much you can develop between Saturdays. There's no telling how good this unit could be this fall after an offseason together and healthy.

And that's not even getting in to defense. I just watched Wells cover their best WR on a deep post, and then stuff a run play a few plays later. Then Cox at his natural position, Hughes healthy, and Preston Smith and Chris Jones getting a huge push. What if Nick James is who we think he is? Our secondary has Calhoun, Love, and Redmond to go with those Safety's? Are you kidding me. I'm starting to get really REALLY excited for football. And for the first time in a long time...I feel like the excitement is warranted.

I know it has become overused around here, but....

http://i.imgur.com/NGWvAKe.jpg

I've got a combination of wool and....

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/549/864/b45.gif

BulldogBear
07-01-2014, 07:08 AM
I've got a combination of wool and....

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/549/864/b45.gif

gasp

Bullmutt
07-01-2014, 02:50 PM
In those first three games, unless the scores are much closer than they should be, Dak should be placed on a run count (say 8-10), much like teams put pitchers on a pitch count. Those three games are important for the 1st team offense to get in synch in game conditions; I realize that. But they should also provide Williams with some game opportunities as well. It's very possible we may need him to perform, just as he had to last year.