PDA

View Full Version : What's your one outside the box idea to make gameday better

starkvegasdawg
06-30-2014, 02:10 PM
The old standbys have been discussed ad nauseum such as hearing Downtown Louisvuhhhhhhllllll and Lord, buy me a Mercedes Benz 50 times a game plus the cups that smell like the ass of a dead hooker. If you could add, delete, or change one thing what would it be? Different music during the game? Different team entrance? What?

Since I grew up loving my 80's rock music I would like to see the AC/DC song Razor's Edge incorporated in somehow right before kickoff. I love the music and the lyrics for something like that. Partial lyrics included below for those not familiar.

There's fightin' on the left
And marching on the right
Don't look up in the sky
You're gonna die of fright
Here comes the razor's edge

You're livin' on the edge
Don't know wrong from right
They're breathin' down you're neck
You're runnin' out of lives
The razor's edge

Pioneer Dawg
06-30-2014, 02:17 PM
No ads

No dead airtime - meaning band steps up when we aren't playing music.

TheRef
06-30-2014, 02:20 PM
No dead airtime - meaning band steps up when we aren't playing music.

I have a feeling that this will improve with the new PA rules.

DudyDawg
06-30-2014, 02:25 PM
Sell. Me. Beeeeer!!!

Harrydawg
06-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Strippers

hailmari
06-30-2014, 02:36 PM
I know it'll never stop, but I get the life sucked out of me when we start honoring/recognizing old, rich people or some elementary art class during time-outs.

Not enough people care. More #TurnDownForWhat

Chuck Finley
06-30-2014, 02:48 PM
get rid of kiss cam.

Pioneer Dawg
06-30-2014, 02:57 PM
I know it'll never stop, but I get the life sucked out of me when we start honoring/recognizing old, rich people or some elementary art class during time-outs.

Bingo.

CadaverDawg
06-30-2014, 02:58 PM

I agree. I know we have to honor those that donate so they'll continue to do it...but I'd rather the crowd stay rowdy

engie
06-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Put other SEC games up on the jumbotron during pregame. This will encourage people to get there early. You can even run ads on one of them and games on the other one. MSU fans are interested in what's going on around the league -- and there has been a ton of times that I'd sit in the junction till the end of an important game and have to rush to make ours. I'd have gotten to ours at the start of the 4th of the other one if there was any chance I'd have been able to finish watching it in the game.

Also, start giving free refills in the big souvenir cups at the concession stands. OM started that last year and it was a huge success. It was awful nice at Swayze to go buy a $6 drink, pour on top once, then actually have naturally-poured whiskey drinks from that point forward...

Political Hack
06-30-2014, 03:26 PM
any some with enough rhythm to get 55,000 people to ring their cowbells in unison. That's it. not rocket science... it's cult like when the bells start clanging together and it's freaky for visiting fans. I love it. Scares the hell out of them.

TexasDawg
06-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Strippers and cocaine

HereComesTheSpiral
06-30-2014, 03:28 PM
NASCAR cooler rules

HereComesTheSpiral
06-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Put other SEC games up on the jumbotron during pregame. This will encourage people to get there early. You can even run ads on one of them and games on the other one. MSU fans are interested in what's going on around the league -- and there has been a ton of times that I'd sit in the junction till the end of an important game and have to rush to make ours. I'd have gotten to ours at the start of the 4th of the other one if there was any chance I'd have been able to finish watching it in the game.

Also, start giving free refills in the big souvenir cups at the concession stands. OM started that last year and it was a huge success. It was awful nice at Swayze to go buy a $6 drink, pour on top once, then actually have naturally-poured whiskey drinks from that point forward...

Most pro sports will give free refills for the souvenir cups, at least memphis and jacksonville that i know for certain

dogshiek
06-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Hank Flick, draft beer, chicken on a stick, Rolling Stones, and more Cowbell!

BulldogBear
06-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Grrrrreat idea!! I'm usually in the ballroom watching a game already. I do sometimes like watching the band march in. I'd do both in that case.

Political Hack
06-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Strippers and cocaine

I'll settle for a plastic bottled miller lite.

Johnson85
06-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Let students come and claim seats before the game. Lots of logistical challenges for this, but the issues with the student section might be improved if they didn't have to come into the stadium so early and stay there. As much as I love football, I really don't want to be in the stadium more than the few hours it takes to play a game. There are usually other games on that I want to watch before our game and the weather is usually uncomfortable. Plus students want to tailgate, go to the game, and then party afterwards. Even for college kids, that ends up being a hell of a day if you have to spend 5 hours in the stadium.

DudyDawg
06-30-2014, 04:30 PM
Would like to have Greek block seating.

drunkernhelldawg
06-30-2014, 04:33 PM
More band, less recorded music.

timely replays.

gourmet hot dogs.

DawgHouseUnited
06-30-2014, 04:55 PM
LOVE the free refills idea on the big cups.

Pioneer Dawg
06-30-2014, 05:07 PM

And the real threat to have their charter lifted for repeated instances of en masse leaving early

SMALLER STUDENT SECTION

DudyDawg
06-30-2014, 05:12 PM
And the real threat to have their charter lifted for repeated instances of en masse leaving early

SMALLER STUDENT SECTION

Wouldn't be possible to revoke charters, but could revoke the seats.

And the fact that the block seating would allow fraternities to come in an hour before the game instead of three to keep seats would encourage a lot of them to stay. Easier to sit there for four hours than six

engie
06-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Block seating would also allow MSU to quality control who was coming/staying and who was leaving as well...

DudyDawg
06-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Block seating would also allow MSU to quality control who was coming/staying and who was leaving as well...

Yup. Would be able to punish those who are leaving and reward those who are staying with things like priority on bowl/away tickets

bgdog
06-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Since I grew up loving my 80's rock music I would like to see the AC/DC song Razor's Edge incorporated in somehow right before kickoff. I love the music and the lyrics for something like that. Partial lyrics included below for those not familiar.

There's fightin' on the left
And marching on the right
Don't look up in the sky
You're gonna die of fright

You're livin' on the edge
Don't know wrong from right
They're breathin' down you're neck
You're runnin' out of lives
The razor's edge

I'm not sure adding another ac/dc song to college gameday is "outside of the box"

Bothrops
06-30-2014, 05:33 PM

I like these ideas.

Bothrops
06-30-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure adding another ac/dc song to college gameday is "outside of the box"

I could handpick some of the songs off of Danzig I. It would be out of the box and no one would know what it was, but everyone would be like...damn this kicks ass..

Goat Holder
06-30-2014, 05:47 PM
To me, it's all about the sequence of music and what's on the video board leading up to the team coming out of the tunnel........from that point until kickoff, it should be a constant effort to 'energize'. We did this in 2009/2010, but we've lost it since then. Most of this is natural IMO, people/fans know when the team is good and when they suck. Energy cannot be manufactured, but it definitely can be 'steered' if that makes sense.

Specifically, when the band lines up, plays the hey song, we yell Maroon White.................team coming out of the tunnel.

PLEASE.....no more of the MS commercial at that point. Needs to be some video pump up of some sort, maybe the cowbell stuff. Just don't SUCK energy at that point. Look how terrible this shit is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvl-fS_soEE

At 8:30, they have some background pumping.....THEN THE DAMNED MS COMMERCIAL....and crickets. WTF? The energy simply never came back. Then Maroon White. Then a bunch of damn silence. Then the disc jockey dude (who is not terrible himself, there was just no energy). I really think even our own fans were embarrassed that day.

Couple that with this in 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y44_miwiuOc

We f*cked that up by coming out too early....but no energy was lost so it didn't matter.

Bottom line. It's hard to really add much energy, but you can damn sure zap it if you mess up sequence. Should always be 'building'. And even after team is on the field, play some small pump up video, do the DPR to Chuck Smooth, and kick off. Done.

State82
06-30-2014, 05:54 PM
any some with enough rhythm to get 55,000 people to ring their cowbells in unison. That's it. not rocket science... it's cult like when the bells start clanging together and it's freaky for visiting fans. I love it. Scares the hell out of them.

Bingo. Do this.

ScottH
06-30-2014, 06:03 PM

LaLa did it at the regional.

Actually theirs was one free refill. Each cup had a sticker. Go back for your refill they peeled the sticker. One refill was plenty.

Steakonastick
06-30-2014, 07:44 PM
I forgot which sec schools does it. But they rotate sections in the student section. So every group gets a week to be up front then they move to the back next week. I'd have an area that would be first come first serve. This way your die hard students have a chance to get a nice seat. Most of the diehards will stay the whole game. Now for the majority of Greeks and other organizations can come in when they choose and have their section reserved.

I also see this as a way to see which groups leave early and vice versa. This way tickets can be allocated to who uses them. If one group wants to leave at halftime fine but they may get less tickets next game.

I'd also like to finally see us get a permanent intro song. And not dj scibble on the intro video.

Add some type of large led cowbell on the seal club that rings after state scores.

CadaverDawg
06-30-2014, 07:48 PM
I forgot which sec schools does it. But they rotate sections in the student section. So every group gets a week to be up front then they move to the back next week. I'd have an area that would be first come first serve. This way your die hard students have a chance to get a nice seat. Most of the diehards will stay the whole game. Now for the majority of Greeks and other organizations can come in when they choose and have their section reserved.

I also see this as a way to see which groups leave early and vice versa. This way tickets can be allocated to who uses them. If one group wants to leave at halftime fine but they may get less tickets next game.

I'd also like to finally see us get a permanent intro song. And not dj scibble on the intro video.

Add some type of large led cowbell on the seal club that rings after state scores.

Love the large Cowbell idea

starkvegasdawg
06-30-2014, 08:01 PM
So do we send these to Stricklin with a bill due upon receipt to ED Game Day Consulting Services, Inc.?

RC3
06-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Mic the band. Play that through the speakers instead of some lame DJ hipster shit

Belegal
06-30-2014, 08:20 PM
I just wish my phone would work! Free wi-fi would be nice. Wish our band could learn to do the routines Ohio State does- they are Great!

Secondn1
06-30-2014, 08:38 PM
I wish we had one song that the entire crowd gets into about the 3rd qtr. Bama has Dixieland Delight by Alabama, Wisconsin plays jump around. We did Don't stop believin by Journey but we can do a lot better.

bluelightstar
06-30-2014, 08:43 PM
The very 'inspirational' and relaxed "This Is Our State" commercial (can't remember if that was this past year but I think it was) being literally right before the team was awful.

Goat Holder
06-30-2014, 09:12 PM
The very 'inspirational' and relaxed "This Is Our State" commercial (can't remember if that was this past year but I think it was) being literally right before the team was awful.

Yes. See my post above. Whoever came up with that sequence should be fired.

Apoplectic
06-30-2014, 09:26 PM
The team walk is cheap and thoughtless. March the band down the street in front of dorman like LSU with the team to follow. Or Instead of dumping the team out of the bus at the stop light let them walk down the old RR track. It needs a purpose - it could be so much more. I stopped goong because its too crowded and poorly executed.

dparker
06-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Love the large Cowbell idea

They used to have that large cowbell behind the Industrial Education building. It was around 6' tall with handle and was so big it was mounted to a trailer. I always heard it was the largest cowbell in the world. They also used to fire old daisy at the games when we scored. So why not combine the two. Shoot daisy into the cowbell for a Rube Goldberg chant starter. :)

CadaverDawg
06-30-2014, 09:31 PM
They used to have that large cowbell behind the Industrial Education building. It was around 6' tall with handle and was so big it was mounted to a trailer. I always heard it was the largest cowbell in the world. They also used to fire old daisy at the games when we scored. So why not combine the two. Shot daisy into the cowbell for a Rube Goldberg chant starter. :)

Yea I remember the large cowbell and the cannon.....not sure why we stopped the cannon, but it would scare the shit out of you at times. Especially since they rarely did it at the same time after each score. They'd wait until right before kickoff when you're thinking about defense and then BOOOOOOOM!!!

TheRef
06-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Yea I remember the large cowbell and the cannon.....not sure why we stopped the cannon, but it would scare the shit out of you at times. Especially since they rarely did it at the same time after each score. They'd wait until right before kickoff when you're thinking about defense and then BOOOOOOOM!!!

Apparently people complained and they put less of a load in the cannon.

Dawg61
06-30-2014, 09:48 PM
Better music and sweet highlight videos on the jumbotrons, also put flatscreens all along the stadium where people buying concessions can watch college redzone. I always thought it'd be a cool idea to start playing awesome music 2 hours before the game starts and just let it play the whole time. I think we need a giant cowbell somewhere in the stadium like the Seahawks have the nest area for the 12th man and we pick a famous alum to ring the bell right before each game.

Boomer15
06-30-2014, 10:18 PM
I want the team to run out to "Put On" every game. Start a tradition like Enter Sandman at Virginia Tech.

Dallas_Dawg
06-30-2014, 10:22 PM
**** that. All students are equal. First come, first served

TheRef
06-30-2014, 10:37 PM
The Greek/Non-Greek seating issue is one that will always be raised by students and administration. It even reared its head during the basketball meeting I was a part of. Greeks want it. Non-Greeks don't want it. I understand that Bama and other schools have that system in place. But you're not going to be able to do it without pissing off a lot of people.

deltadawg99
06-30-2014, 11:24 PM
First off our band sucks. Their song selection is awful and their damn hats are crimson. So get a better band director would be one of my suggestions.
Less ads
Get rid of the chicken dance, kiss cam, animated car races and any other dumb ass items along those lines
I agree that we need an intro song or a song that we play at the same time every game
We need to time our cheers out so we it doesn't sound like just yelling. When we do the "maroon white fight fight mississippi state you damn right" chant it sounds like a race to see who finishes first

Pinto
06-30-2014, 11:25 PM
An easy way to do block seating is like they do/did at Florida(10yrs ago when I knew this as fact) You just have to be a student group to get a block. Doesn't matter what group but each group submits a roster before season and gets assigned a block. They rotate each game as well. It encourages student involvement on campus and if your group doesn't show up you stay at the top and possibly lose tickets.
I think we have to change pa guys. This guy adds nothing to the game. A good pa guy can build up the crowd and then step back and let the crowd go. I don't know why we are getting punished with this guy but this is an easy area to improve.
Next, we need a end of 3rd start of 4th hype song. One everyone knows. I recommend welcome to the jungle.
Lastly, I just got back from the brave's game and they $8 drinks with one free refill sticker. Excellent deal. Well worth it.

Pinto
06-30-2014, 11:27 PM
Also is there anything from baseball games that could cross over to football?

DudyDawg
06-30-2014, 11:48 PM

Why? If a fraternity is given a block that they can come in an hour before the game, they'll fill it. No other student groups are guaranteed to being 100 people at the least, not counting dates and such. It's like any other group ticket sold at major sports. If you're guaranteed to bring a big group to every game, reward them

thf24
06-30-2014, 11:50 PM
More band, less recorded music.

As a former band member I want to agree wholeheartedly, but there's a time for band and a time for canned music. The correct balance needs to be established with good communication between the two, along with fewer ads and lame cheerleader cheers(band isn't supposed to play while those are happening) that 7/8 of the stadium can't hear anyway.

Mic the band. Play that through the speakers instead of some lame DJ hipster shit

It's technically against the rules. Tennessee, Alabama, and probably others do it and the SEC doesn't seem to care, probably at least partially due to the size of their stadiums. I feel like the SEC would have something to say about it if we did it since they've been "easing up" on cowbells in recent years. And just because it's us and we ran over Mike Slive's dog and all.

War Machine Dawg
06-30-2014, 11:51 PM
First off our band sucks. Their song selection is awful and their damn hats are crimson. So get a better band director would be one of my suggestions.

We need to time our cheers out so we it doesn't sound like just yelling. When we do the "maroon white fight fight mississippi state you damn right" chant it sounds like a race to see who finishes first

Do we really have to go over the issues with the band aGAIN? The fact is we're at best the third, and probably the fourth or fifth, best music school in our state. The best HS music students are going to UM and USM. We aren't going to put any more money than we are into the music program. Also, the band can't just play whatever they feel like. The school, i.e. the program, has to pay royalties for music. It's why we never get any music from anything that isn't at least 10 years old. Relates directly to "we aren't putting any more money into the program." Same for the band director position. For the love of all things maroon, can we please just stop taking shots at the band and accept the situation for what it is? I actually think they've been a little better the last couple years. This whole "bash the band" thing is played out and ridiculous. The only solution is money, so unless you're in a position to cut the music department a big ass check, then STFU.

Agree about timing our chants. But the reason the "Fight, Fight, Fight" cheer is off is because of the damn students. They rush the hell out of it instead of staying on pace. Our students need to get their shit together as a whole.

PassInterference
07-01-2014, 12:16 AM
How much could it ****ing cost for the band to play a modern song? Something a few decades newer than Rio.

deltadawg99
07-01-2014, 12:35 AM
How much could it ****ing cost for the band to play a modern song? Something a few decades newer than Rio.

Or to buy maroon hats instead of crimson?

Bothrops
07-01-2014, 04:36 AM
For me there's nothing better than a military flyover before a big home game. I remember in the 80's they used to do it all the time, but times have changed. Last one I remember was at the A&M game in 2012, which was the only thing worth seeing that day.

Mjoelner34
07-01-2014, 06:38 AM
Lots of good ideas! Here are some that stuck out to me and a couple of other changes I would do.
1. Other SEC games on the tron(s) before the game starts. I know they do this sometimes now but I'm not sure how often.
2. Teaching the students that the "...we're gonna beat the hell out of you!" chant ISN'T a race. Maybe instead of trying to teach them new things like they tried at a yell practice or whatever it was a couple of years ago, we could try teaching them rhythm and timing.
3. Combining the ideas of introducing old, rich donors during timeouts and the giant bell by having old, rich donors ring the giant bell to kick off the pre-game show and thereby keep loud music or the band going during timeouts.
4. Do the "ring responsibly" announcement before the band starts playing the pre-game and shorten the "I've got a fever" skit to Walken starting with "Guess what!?!?!" and play it right before the DPR after the team is on the sideline. That way, there is no lull between the completion of the band's pre-game and the team running out. As someone pointed out, the atmosphere just dies. Everyone is all pumped even with the students finishing the "we're gonna beat the hell out of you!" chant 15 seconds before everyone else then it just dies.

ETA: 5. Do something about the maroon/white cheer before the game. It sounds too forced. I think it's the mic man that makes it that way. Just cheerleaders holding up signs would get enough of the crowd started for everybody else to catch on.

RC3
07-01-2014, 06:57 AM
I want the team to run out to "Put On" every game. Start a tradition like Enter Sandman at Virginia Tech.

Emminece front?

TheRef
07-01-2014, 07:04 AM
For me there's nothing better than a military flyover before a big home game. I remember in the 80's they used to do it all the time, but times have changed. Last one I remember was at the A&M game in 2012, which was the only thing worth seeing that day.

You can blame the government for that f*** up. Budget cuts have basically made flyovers for college games non-existent.

thf24
07-01-2014, 07:15 AM

More than you'd think. Much more. And it takes a lot of time and effort to track down the licences for some of them.

Or to buy maroon hats instead of crimson?

That was a screw up by the manufacturer. They refused to fix it for free, and there wasn't room in the budget for another run.

You all need to understand that just about every legitimate band gripe comes down to money. Like WMD said, unless you're willing to write the marching band a donation check, there's no reason to complain; just try to be happy with what we've got. Our instructors and students do the best job they can with what they have to work with, and it could be a lot worse.

BulldogBear
07-01-2014, 07:27 AM
Do we really have to go over the issues with the band aGAIN? The fact is we're at best the third, and probably the fourth or fifth, best music school in our state. The best HS music students are going to UM and USM. We aren't going to put any more money than we are into the music program. Also, the band can't just play whatever they feel like. The school, i.e. the program, has to pay royalties for music. It's why we never get any music from anything that isn't at least 10 years old. Relates directly to "we aren't putting any more money into the program." Same for the band director position. For the love of all things maroon, can we please just stop taking shots at the band and accept the situation for what it is? I actually think they've been a little better the last couple years. This whole "bash the band" thing is played out and ridiculous. The only solution is money, so unless you're in a position to cut the music department a big ass check, then STFU.

Agree about timing our chants. But the reason the "Fight, Fight, Fight" cheer is off is because of the damn students. They rush the hell out of it instead of staying on pace. Our students need to get their shit together as a whole.

There are two reasons it sounds gimpy. The first is exactly what WMD says, somebody is rushing. You can feel the pace pick up as it goes, but I believe it's also acoustics. From either side it takes the sound a couple of moments to get to the other side so it sounds like it's off except for on the field. So, somebody (probably students like WMD says) gets in a hurry and both sides think they're off. You really just have to ignore everything else and keep on pace. Then it will sound right on the field where it counts. If the Faggies didn't already have it, I'd say we should have cheer practice, but we'd never live down "copying" them.

SheltonChoked
07-01-2014, 07:49 AM
I know cost is an issue and it's not outside the box, but upgrade the wifi LAN and stream the camera angles to devices ( tablets, phones, etc) with reins and live stat links. I'm not as concerned with getting on the internet. But I'd like the ability to see replays etc.

deltadawg99
07-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Is anybody going to email some of these suggestions to Stricklin?

Not sure if it would do any good or not, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to let him know some of the ideas.

Bucky Dog
07-01-2014, 08:03 AM
I mentioned years ago to Scott at a meeting that it would be good to set up a stage behind the Seal M club/locker rooms facing the Junction and have live music before the games. Maybe not every game but where it makes sense. Bring in up and coming artists and put up big screens around them with other footbal games on.

Dental Dawg
07-01-2014, 08:04 AM
I like the idea of starting the cowbells in unison one minute before the visiting team steps onto the field. It could be very intimidating. Continue ringing until the bulldogs run out. No bullshit pump you up music or cannons. ESPN would eat this up. Opposing teams would piss themselves in the locker room as they listening to the walls shake.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-01-2014, 08:05 AM
I mentioned years ago to Scott at a meeting that it would be good to set up a stage behind the Seal M club/locker rooms facing the Junction and have live music before the games. Maybe not every game but where it makes sense. Bring in up and coming artists and put up big screens around them with other footbal games on.

We have a perfectly good ampitheater about 50 yards to the right.

Pinto
07-01-2014, 08:19 AM
I like the idea of starting the cowbells in unison one minute before the visiting team steps onto the field. It could be very intimidating. Continue ringing until the bulldogs run out. No bullshit pump you up music or cannons. ESPN would eat this up. Opposing teams would piss themselves in the locker room as they listening to the walls shake.

It could be done like the Jaws clap. Get the bass drums to strike and cowbells cling along slow and then speed to a frenzy.

Vandownbytheriver
07-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Fire Stricklin. That solves pretty much all the problems with game days.

Johnson85
07-01-2014, 08:50 AM
That was a screw up by the manufacturer. They refused to fix it for free, and there wasn't room in the budget for another run.

That was not a manufacturer screw up that resulted in the band having crimson hats. They may have screwed up but it was a string of university (or band program) 17up's that involved some combination of (a) not getting payment on net 30 terms or paying for a defective prodcut and (b) buying from a judgment proof entity and/or (c) not asserting the Universities rights.

We don't have a 17ing lawyer at the university that can help the band not be a bunch of 17ups? Or just somebody working for the band that has a littlet bit of sense? That's ridiculously bush league. I don't care that much about the band, but it bothers me that any part of the university would be that incompetent when it's not a money issue.

TheRef
07-01-2014, 08:56 AM
That was not a manufacturer screw up that resulted in the band having crimson hats. They may have screwed up but it was a string of university (or band program) 17up's that involved some combination of (a) not getting payment on net 30 terms or paying for a defective prodcut and (b) buying from a judgment proof entity and/or (c) not asserting the Universities rights.

We don't have a 17ing lawyer at the university that can help the band not be a bunch of 17ups? Or just somebody working for the band that has a littlet bit of sense? That's ridiculously bush league. I don't care that much about the band, but it bothers me that any part of the university would be that incompetent when it's not a money issue.

You can stop bashing the band now, sir...seriously, we need to stop beating the dead horse. Have you seen the music buildings? They're pathetic. They don't have much money and have to make do. So quit the band bashing.

Johnson85
07-01-2014, 08:57 AM

You want people to be involved on campus so that's a good reward. Let any student group register for a block of tickets, provided they have at least 20 seats, rotate them, and then punish groups that don't have their block filled or don't keep them filled the whole game. Over time you'd end up with the fraternities and maybe sororities and student government dominating because they'd be the most organized and have the most continuity, but that'd be fine. As long as they also keep a small block of first come, first served seating in a prime location for die hard student fans that aren't involved on campus, nobody really has a right to complain. That block could get smaller or bigger as groups filled or did not fill their allotted seats.

It'd be a huge pain for somebody in the athletic department to administer, but I think it'd be worth it in order to have a good student section for gameday atmosphere.

Johnson85
07-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Why? If a fraternity is given a block that they can come in an hour before the game, they'll fill it. No other student groups are guaranteed to being 100 people at the least, not counting dates and such. It's like any other group ticket sold at major sports. If you're guaranteed to bring a big group to every game, reward them

Most fraternities probably wouldn't be able to fill as many seats as you think. If you are required to keep the seats filled the whole time in order to not lose the seats, they are going to have to go smaller because they probably aren't going to demand that their dates stay until the end of a blowout. Maybe they'll institute a no leaving rule or maybe they'll require pledges to sit somewhere else and then fill in the reserved seats as people leave.

thf24
07-01-2014, 09:15 AM

The crimson hats were after my time so I don't know the whole story, but I imagine the failure there was that they were purchased in the summer, like all other gear and apparel, and no one saw them in the light/from a distance/on TV until months later when they were long paid for. There are a million things going on during the summer and a skeleton staff on hand to get them done, and I wouldn't be surprised if the boxes of hats got put up in storage without a close inspection on the seemingly reasonable assumption that the manufacturer got the ****ing color right. It still comes down to the issue of very limited resources for such a large and active organization.

I'm not going to say anything else about the band because I'm really not in a position to do so and shouldn't have in the first place, but everyone please understand there is probably a lot more than you think to these seemingly simple issues, and that our people are doing the best job they can under the circumstances.

dickiedawg
07-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Didn't they just build a new music building, as in within the last 5 years or so?
I haven't been in the building, but it looks nice.

TheRef
07-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Didn't they just build a new music building, as in within the last 5 years or so?
I haven't been in the building, but it looks nice.

Yeah. There is a new band/choral building and it was opened 7 years ago.

pdawg10msu
07-01-2014, 10:29 AM

I would love this and be pumped myself

Johnson85
07-01-2014, 01:09 PM
The crimson hats were after my time so I don't know the whole story, but I imagine the failure there was that they were purchased in the summer, like all other gear and apparel, and no one saw them in the light/from a distance/on TV until months later when they were long paid for. There are a million things going on during the summer and a skeleton staff on hand to get them done, and I wouldn't be surprised if the boxes of hats got put up in storage without a close inspection on the seemingly reasonable assumption that the manufacturer got the ****ing color right. It still comes down to the issue of very limited resources for such a large and active organization.

I'm not going to say anything else about the band because I'm really not in a position to do so and shouldn't have in the first place, but everyone please understand there is probably a lot more than you think to these seemingly simple issues, and that our people are doing the best job they can under the circumstances.

I don't have any issue with the band. We are going to have a smaller budget than most other schools in the SEC, and if we want to be competitive at football, men's bb, and baseball, math dictates that we are going to have to skimp other places. I don't care if we buy the band uniforms second hand from Alabama and Arkansas and have mixed colors out there if that helps us devote the needed resources to football. I just don't want the fact that we don't have as much money as other schools to become an excuse for things that aren't about resources. You're going to have more mistakes if you're running on a skeleton crew, but that doesn't change the fact that it was our screw up.

AFDawg
07-01-2014, 02:17 PM
We need to improve the tailgating scene. Maybe we could plant some trees on the drill field. And then get folks to set up some really nice spreads--maybe even with chandeliers and stuff. Get the ladies to dress all out; gents, it's coat and tie for you. An effort like that could really compensate for our redneck image, and if it's nice enough we wouldn't even need to go in to the stadium.

************** and *

TheRef
07-01-2014, 02:18 PM
We need to improve the tailgating scene. Maybe we could plant some trees on the drill field. And then get folks to set up some really nice spreads--maybe even with chandeliers and stuff. Get the ladies to dress all out; gents, it's coat and tie for you. An effort like that could really compensate for our redneck image, and if it's nice enough we wouldn't even need to go in to the stadium.

************** and *

/donates all of my *'s to this post

spudd21
07-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Our band could be like RICE***

PendingTransaction
07-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Cover the "premium seats" that are the Scoreboard Club.

Cowbells
07-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Our band could be like RICE***

Exactly. Watch this and you'll never complain about our band again. PAINFUL, and worse live.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-kEExfV1fMc

thunderclap
07-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Pony girls.

engie
07-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Cover the "premium seats" that are the Scoreboard Club.

Why would we do this?