PDA

View Full Version : Vandy Whistler Almost Arrested at TDAP

TheRef
06-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Apparently the Vandy whistler was asked by ESPN and Omaha PD to stop whistling so much or be taken to jail...thoughts?

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2014/06/27/vanderbilt-whistling-fans-espn/11519789/

DownwardDawg
06-28-2014, 06:23 PM
The Vandy fan sounded real intelligent. So much for that stereotype.

TheRef
06-28-2014, 06:24 PM
The part that annoyed me was the fact that he freely admitted to whistling straight into the ESPN microphones on purpose.

MarketingBully01
06-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Apparently the Vandy whistler was asked by ESPN and Omaha PD to stop whistling so much or be taken to jail...thoughts?

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2014/06/27/vanderbilt-whistling-fans-espn/11519789/

I think of all things fans can do that are the most annoying and most disruptive they can do has to be the whistling. Remember the Central Arkansas whistler at our regional the year before? It is stupid and goes above and beyond cheering. I don't mind some whistling but what this guy did and the Central Arkansas fan did the year before are above and beyond annoying. I am glad ESPN tried to put a stop to it. It certainly has an effect on people's enjoyment of the game.

MarketingBully01
06-28-2014, 07:38 PM
The Vandy fan sounded real intelligent. So much for that stereotype.

I agree, that guy looked like a real winner**

Todd4State
06-28-2014, 09:42 PM
I agree it's annoying as hell. I came pretty close to telling the Central Arkansas whistler to shut up during the Central Arkansas/Mercer game. It's about trying to draw attention to yourself during a game which is supposed to be about the players on the field. It kind of pissed me off that Bob did a story about the guy last year because that's exactly what attention whores like that guy want.

Of course, I got met with "But....but...he seems like a nice guy." And I'm sure he is, but he was an attention whore. And so is this guy from Vandy. Stories like this just encourage fans to act like idiots and annoy everyone. "Hey maybe if I cluck like a chicken after every pitch, maybe they'll put a story about me in the newspaper!"

Give me Rally Pat any day over these morons. All she did was keep score and show up to every game. Those guys could have learned a lot from her.

ScottH
06-28-2014, 10:39 PM
On a similar note, didn't the "throw it in the dirt" guy get tossed from the stadium at UCLA several years ago?

Todd4State
06-28-2014, 11:49 PM
On a similar note, didn't the "throw it in the dirt" guy get tossed from the stadium at UCLA several years ago?

Maybe, but I think that was BYU.

I don't know that there is a "throw it in the dirt" guy because it seems like random Ole Miss fans start it, and sometimes I don't even hear it at all.

At any rate, as dumb as I think "throw it in the dirt" is- mainly because sometimes you WANT to throw it in the dirt to try to get a guy out, most Ole Miss fans don't do it after every pitch or play. THAT was my issue with the Central Arkansas guy. After every pitch and after anything would happen, he would whistle.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-29-2014, 10:03 AM
The original throw it in the dirt guy died. Yes , he did get booted at ucla.

TheRef
06-29-2014, 10:06 AM
The original throw it in the dirt guy died. Yes , he did get booted at ucla.

So are Ole Miss fans going to get mad at us if we make fun of them for it like they do for the landshark?

RougeDawg
06-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Freedom of Speech!!! As annoying as some people may be they have the right to do what they want as long as they are not harming anyone. I don't know this guys story, but as long as he didn't touch or threaten anyone else, he would get a hefty pay day had he been arrested for "speaking/whistling freely".

MarketingBully01
06-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Freedom of Speech!!! As annoying as some people may be they have the right to do what they want as long as they are not harming anyone. I don't know this guys story, but as long as he didn't touch or threaten anyone else, he would get a hefty pay day had he been arrested for "speaking/whistling freely".

Nice try Rouge, but I don't think whistling is covered by free speech. Your argument loses its punch especially when he directly defied when the cop asked him nicely to stop whistling and he did not. It's called disturbing the peace and he wouldn't have a leg to stand on in civil court "especially" considering his own fan base were some of the ones complaining.