PDA

View Full Version : MSU Men's Tennis hires Matt Roberts

TheRef
06-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Matt Roberts has been officially named the 19th head coach of the Men's Tennis program. He was an assistant under previous head coach Per Nillson for two seasons. Roberts was a two-time All-SEC Selection during his career with the University of Arkansas. Other info found below:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrOvYMtCAAAkvoJ.jpg

curmudgeon
06-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Very LT-like hire.

ScottH
06-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Very LT-like hire.

I guess time will tell. We elevated our assistant.

A former player just emailed me he was very surprised at the choice given that we are Top 20 program.

He was expecting us to hire an existing head coach.

TheRef
06-28-2014, 03:05 PM
My article on the hire: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/06/28/matt-roberts-named-19th-head-coach-mens-tennis/

Bigedawg
06-29-2014, 12:57 AM
Great insight? I'm all for linking content but that was basically a cut and paste of the ad release. I was expecting some commentary or opinion. I know nothing about men's tennis but it does seem like a status quo hire considering we are a top 20 program. Of course, we did just lose an alum coach to a women's program; so, maybe this was the best we could do. Pepperdine is beautiful for sure but I have to think Nillson must have been frustrated with the lack of movement on facility improvements.

Homedawg
06-29-2014, 09:00 AM
I guess time will tell. We elevated our assistant.

A former player just emailed me he was very surprised at the choice given that we are Top 20 program.

He was expecting us to hire an existing head coach.

We tried. We were turned down.

ScottH
06-29-2014, 10:02 AM
We tried. We were turned down.

By anyone other than Matt Hill?

Brett Masi wanted the job.

Offshore Dawg
06-30-2014, 05:41 AM
How much influence did Matt Roberts have in the tennis teams past success ??

TheRef
06-30-2014, 06:56 AM
How much influence did Matt Roberts have in the tennis teams past success ??

I have no idea. All I know is there were two assistant coaches this year. Roberts and Chaudry. Chaudry just graduated the previous year. So Roberts was the most senior of the assistants.