PDA

View Full Version : Buying shrimp off the boat

WeWillScrewItUp
06-27-2014, 08:16 PM
I'm in biloxi this weekend and leaving Monday morning and was hoping to stop by the docks and get some shrimp. Can anyone help me on which marina is the best to go to? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

SpeckleDawg
06-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Behind the Hard Rock.

Wherever you end up going, let us know how the size/prices were. I need to get a bunch before I head north for the 4th.

BeastMan
06-27-2014, 08:30 PM
Not only the marinas but if you see a van with Asian women in them (they're usually everywhere roadside), they sell fresh shrimp too. Usually the husband and sons shrimp and the woman sell roadside for extra cash. Any Marina should be pretty easy to find some shrimp but folks roadside are usually selling the same thing

SpeckleDawg
06-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Not only the marinas but if you see a van with Asian women in them (they're usually everywhere roadside), they sell fresh shrimp too. Usually the husband and sons shrimp and the woman sell roadside for extra cash. Any Marina should be pretty easy to find some shrimp but folks roadside are usually selling the same thing

+1. This is what I usually do, since the same woman has been selling down the road from my house for years. White van with the back doors open and a hammock = shrimp. From my experience they usually charge a little more, but they can pop the heads off for you faster than I thought possible.

WeWillScrewItUp
06-30-2014, 07:45 AM
The shrimp were a little small which is to be expected early in the season. They were going for 4.50 a pound for the jumbos and 3/lbs for the regulars. I went ahead and got some since I'm not sure when I will be back down this way.

SpeckleDawg
06-30-2014, 08:30 AM
The shrimp were a little small which is to be expected early in the season. They were going for 4.50 a pound for the jumbos and 3/lbs for the regulars. I went ahead and got some since I'm not sure when I will be back down this way.

Cheaper than I thought. May have to venture down there Thursday morning.

WeWillScrewItUp
06-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Since I have got home and started the deheading process I'm pleased to see that many of the shrimp are larger than I thought. Not sure when I will get the chance but I can't wait to put some on the grill. May not be until the 4th but I can sure taste them already.

SpeckleDawg
07-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Picked some up at the Pass harbor this morning for $3.50/lb.

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t668/kbs68/photo_zps692681cf.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/kbs68/media/photo_zps692681cf.jpg.html)

Barking 13
07-02-2014, 11:53 AM
Why are y'all popping the heads? If you're boiling them, do it with the head on.. makes them taste better...

FISHDAWG
07-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Why are y'all popping the heads? If you're boiling them, do it with the head on.. makes them taste better...

I agree with crawfish ... never tried it with shrimp, now I'm curious

WeWillScrewItUp
07-02-2014, 04:26 PM

Just the way I have always done it. Next time I get some I will try it.

BeastMan
07-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Good looking skrimps

Johnson85
07-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Anybody have any recommendations for buying shrimp in Gulfport? Have to run from one business meeting on the coast to another in Jackson and don't have time to run to Biloxi or the Pass.

SpeckleDawg
07-02-2014, 06:20 PM

I agree that the head does add to the taste, but mine taste just fine without and are much easier to eat.

Johnson85
07-03-2014, 09:52 AM
I agree that the head does add to the taste, but mine taste just fine without and are much easier to eat.

I've never felt the head adds to the taste, but I feel like it's basically nothing to dehead them while you're eating, but a pain to do it before hand. If I can get the people on the boat to dehead them, I do that, or if I am doing something besides boiling them, I'll dehead them prior to cooking. But if I'm boil them, I barely notice them when I eat them.

NashvilleStache
07-03-2014, 11:50 PM

NashvilleStache
07-03-2014, 11:51 PM
Where is the best area in PCB for direct purchase, if possible? Thanks.

Johnson85
07-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Where is the best area in PCB for direct purchase, if possible? Thanks.

Don't know if it's the 'best', but if you go to the harbor you will see a few boats selling them. Not my usual place but last time I went the boats were on the docks coming from the east side (not the Shaggy's side). They've done so much work that may have changed. Can also get oysters there although probably not now.

SpeckleDawg
07-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Don't know if it's the 'best', but if you go to the harbor you will see a few boats selling them. Not my usual place but last time I went the boats were on the docks coming from the east side (not the Shaggy's side). They've done so much work that may have changed. Can also get oysters there although probably not now.

This is correct if he's talking about Pass Christian, but I assumed he meant Panama City Beach.

BeardoMSU
07-07-2014, 11:07 AM
I've never felt the head adds to the taste, but I feel like it's basically nothing to dehead them while you're eating, but a pain to do it before hand. If I can get the people on the boat to dehead them, I do that, or if I am doing something besides boiling them, I'll dehead them prior to cooking. But if I'm boil them, I barely notice them when I eat them.

If you have larger shrimps you can suck their head fat out just like a crawfish. That's why I prefer them heads-on.

(I know, this sounds dirty.....)

clareynet
07-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Capn Karl sells fresh shrimp from his shrimp boat right behind Fisherman's Wharf next to Kelly Windes Sunrise spot right on the seawall. He is usually there every afternoon during the summer and sells beautiful fresh shrimp caught the night before for $4-$5 a lb with heads on in 5lb bags.