PDA

View Full Version : A year and change later - where are the 31 emails Ole Miss covered up?

PassInterference
06-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Good piece here by Beastman.

http://3rdand57.com/ole-miss-compliance-wins-again/

Where are the 31 emails that Ole Miss refused to release last year under the FOIA? More than a year ago, Ole Miss compliance said "We are continuing our due diligence on the remaining emails but at this point have found no evidence of violations".

So are they done? Where are the emails?

They haven't been released that I know of.

Were they reported to the NCAA? We all know the NCAA takes a year or two to act. Maybe we'll hear soon from the NCAA or Ole Miss.

Oh and I agree with the blog - hat tip for the legalese Ole Miss used in handling Hugh Freeze's brazen call for compliance reports. We could use some of that at MSU.

dogshiek
06-27-2014, 06:58 PM
The emails are on Lauren learner's computer.

camsu
06-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Is the entire OM investigation over and done with? What a shame

BeastMan
06-27-2014, 08:09 PM
My whole point is to look at the 2 attitudes. MSU compliance hassles a biscuit shop this week about pictures of players and Ole Miss compliance strong armed FOIA request. One is playing chess, the other checkers

War Machine Dawg
06-27-2014, 08:12 PM
My whole point is to look at the 2 attitudes. MSU compliance hassles a biscuit shop this week about pictures of players and Ole Miss compliance strong armed FOIA request. One is playing chess, the other checkers

That's an insult to compliance departments that are actually playing checkers. We might be playing corn hole. Maybe. And our corn hole team is captained by Barney Fife.

BeastMan
06-27-2014, 08:25 PM
That's an insult to compliance departments that are actually playing checkers. We might be playing corn hole. Maybe. And our corn hole team is captained by Barney Fife.

You're right. I was having this conversation earlier this week. I told a buddy, "Think about the SEC West in terms of compliance and their aggressiveness. MSU is immediately surrounded by Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn, and LSU. Let that sink in and then tell me MSU couldn't use an overhaul".

PassInterference
06-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Veazey says on twitter that there was never any resolution. Somebody needs to follow up on this story.

What media guy would step up to the plate?

War Machine Dawg
06-27-2014, 10:00 PM
You're right. I was having this conversation earlier this week. I told a buddy, "Think about the SEC West in terms of compliance and their aggressiveness. MSU is immediately surrounded by Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn, and LSU. Let that sink in and then tell me MSU couldn't use an overhaul".

You know it, I know it, everyone with any remote knowledge of our compliance department knows it. But TPTB at dear ol' State either don't know it, don't give a ****, or have it exactly how they like it. Regardless, we drastically need an overhaul. We have to be the only SEC school with a f'n high school PE teacher as our compliance direction. Everyone else has either 1) a lawyer or 2) a former NCAA compliance official running their department. But not dear ol' State. Nope, ol' Bracky and his PE degree are doing a bang up job, yessir.

ShotgunDawg
06-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Regardless, we drastically need an overhaul. We have to be the only SEC school with a f'n high school PE teacher as our compliance direction. Everyone else has either 1) a lawyer or 2) a former NCAA compliance official running their department. But not dear ol' State. Nope, ol' Bracky and his PE degree are doing a bang up job, yessir.

I feel like we have been working under an assumption that we may or may not have known the real answer to, and that is that every other SEC school has a lawyer or ex-NCAA official in their compliance department. Finally, I decided to look up the background of every person that oversees the compliance at SEC institutions.

Here is what I found:

SCHOOL -> NAME -> CAREER BEFORE COMPLIANCE -> COLLEGE DEGREE

Alabama - John Bowling - Started career in Alabama compliance

Arkansas - Jon Fagg - Football coach prior to career in compliance

Auburn - Rich McGlynn - Worked at NCAA and prior to that practiced law

Florida - Jamie McCloskey - Worked for the MAC Conference and the NCAA

Georgia - Jim Booz - Was an academic counselor before compliance - has a degree in PE

Kentucky - Rachel Baker - Worked in NCAA Enforcement - Has a sociology degree

LSU - Bo Bahnsen - Was the Admin Asst. to the AD and a Manager for Women's Basketball before compliance - PE Degree

Mississippi State - Brackey Brett - Football coach - received a Master's Degree in something at MSU (Probably knitting)

Missouri - Mary Austin - Started career in compliance at Mizzou in 1989

Ole Miss - Matt Ball - Started career in compliance - holds business degree

South Carolina - Chris Rogers - Started career in compliance - Holds a law degree

Tennessee - Todd Dooley - Was a Women's Asst. Basketball coach before compliance

Texas A&M - David Batson - Athletic Admi & Track and Field Grad Asst. before compliance - MBA

Vanderbilt - Not Listed

War Machine Dawg
06-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Ray Charles say "I can't see shit," Shotgun. I'm in Safari, so all I see is a blue ?

ShotgunDawg
06-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Ray Charles say "I can't see shit," Shotgun. I'm in Safari, so all I see is a blue ?

I can see it on my computer and phone. Not sure what the issue is

DownwardDawg
06-28-2014, 06:10 AM
I can see it on my computer and phone. Not sure what the issue is

I don't see anything

starkvegasdawg
06-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Veazey says on twitter that there was never any resolution. Somebody needs to follow up on this story.

What media guy would step up to the plate?

Geraldo.

spbdawg
06-28-2014, 07:44 AM
#

ShotgunDawg
06-28-2014, 08:29 AM
I fixed it

BeastMan
06-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Just updated the story with Veazey's response on twitter

RougeDawg
06-28-2014, 11:53 AM
The emails are on Lois learner's computer.

Fixed it for you, but I was going to write the exact response.

Yes, someone needs to uncover these emails. It's the dead season and these would definitely spice things up.

Todd4State
06-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Fixed it for you, but I was going to write the exact response.

Yes, someone needs to uncover these emails. It's the dead season and these would definitely spice things up.

It's obviously a smoking gun.

Yeah- "We'll release every e-mail except for the 31 with actual legitimate violations in them. Hotty Toddy".

msstate7
06-28-2014, 01:24 PM

Yeah- "We'll release every e-mail except for the 31 with actual legitimate violations in them. Hotty Toddy".

Nice

BeastMan
06-28-2014, 05:08 PM

I'm very interested to what it could be. If I had to guess, nothing that would get them in any trouble in today's NCAA but it would be interesting to see nonetheless. I wonder if presented with the same situation, what MSU would have done?

TheRef
06-28-2014, 05:09 PM
I'm very interested to what it could be. If I had to guess, nothing that would get them in any trouble in today's NCAA but it would be interesting to see nonetheless. I wonder if presented with the same situation, what MSU would have done?

Bracky would've suspended the whole team for 4 games.

Todd4State
06-28-2014, 05:22 PM

If it was "nothing" then why would they hide them? It may be "nothing" that could also be clues that lead to something.

If it was MSU, I think we all know what would happen. Bracky would probably suspend the players in question for about two seasons, not give them representation and tell them that the best thing to do is to tell the NCAA everything that happened in full detail.

And then the best part would be Bracky bragging about how "The NCAA complimented Mississippi State for their cooperation throughout this investigation and decided to accept the University's recommendation of a 6 year bowl ban and 35 scholarship reduction secondary to rogue boosters buying the players in question benefits including bubble gum, a water pistol, and a 1996 Honda Accord with 250K miles on it."

BeastMan
06-28-2014, 05:38 PM
Todd, I just meant nothing the NCAA would do anything about it their weakened state. But what I love is that they didn't tell the NCAA to screw themselves, they told a federal statute to screw itself. That's huge balls.

Todd4State
06-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Todd, I just meant nothing the NCAA would do anything about it their weakened state. But what I love is that they didn't tell the NCAA to screw themselves, they told a federal statute to screw itself. That's huge balls.

True. It's pretty much a do your own thing world as far as the NCAA and you can get away with anything as long as you deny. Auburn has proven that with Cam Newton.

Political Hack
06-28-2014, 06:14 PM
the Commercial Appeal didn't pursue it. They could've went to court over it. They chose not too and no one else challenged them. Anyone can FOIA.

msstate7
06-28-2014, 06:28 PM
the Commercial Appeal didn't pursue it. They could've went to court over it. They chose not too and no one else challenged them. Anyone can FOIA.

Whats a publication that would pursue it?

starkvegasdawg
06-28-2014, 07:34 PM
We all know nothing will come of it. It's a dead issue. They got away with it pure and simple. By now those emails have been deleted for months. They only kept them long enough to cover everything up and then they went the way of the Lois Lerner emails.

RC3
06-28-2014, 08:34 PM
I'll go through the process of requesting them if someone here will pay my hourly rate

TheRef
06-28-2014, 08:37 PM
I'll go through the process of requesting them if someone here will pay my hourly rate

And that is?

RC3
06-28-2014, 08:38 PM
And that is?
PM me

TheRef
06-28-2014, 08:41 PM
PM me

I'm a college student. I already know I can't afford the rate.

RC3
06-28-2014, 08:43 PM
I'm a college student. I already know I can't afford the rate.
Ha fair enough. But you also write for a blog (correct?) so there might be some interest from your readers. I'll cut my rate by 50.00 an hour to help the cause. Doubt there is anything there but I'd like to read em myself

TheRef
06-28-2014, 08:44 PM
Ha fair enough. But you also write for a blog (correct?) so there might be some interest from your readers. I'll cut my rate by 50.00 an hour to help the cause. Doubt there is anything there but I'd like to read em myself

I do write for a blog. Maybe you should talk to Croom Diaries about this more so than myself.

RC3
06-28-2014, 08:48 PM
I was halfway kidding with my post. But all joking aside, and actually thinking about, I might really be interested in it.

maroonmania
06-28-2014, 08:49 PM
Of course we know nothing will come of it. Everyone should have known that from the start. The NCAA is a paper tiger and the only schools that they are able to really give any serious punishment to are one's, like ours, that do their investigative work for them and incriminate themselves. if you just use the Clintonesque defense of deny, deny, deny you really have nothing to worry about from the NCAA.

TheRef
06-28-2014, 08:49 PM
I was halfway kidding with my post. But all joking aside, and actually thinking about, I might really be interested in it.

Then go after it, buddy. If you find anything, there are probably multiple people (Bears and Dawgs alike) that would like to see what you've uncovered.

Schultzy
06-28-2014, 08:58 PM
After the Miami debacle the NCAA hasn't even tried to go after anybody. They're too busy trying the Ed O'Bannon case which is worth hundreds Of millions short term and several billions long term.

Harming any school in the cash cow sec is not really in their interest right now. They may not even exist in five years.

FISHDAWG
06-29-2014, 07:56 AM
I wonder if he accepts V-cash

Saltydog
06-29-2014, 09:14 AM
very well tell the tale as to whether the NCAA as we know it survives or not.

BeastMan
06-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Then go after it, buddy. If you find anything, there are probably multiple people (Bears and Dawgs alike) that would like to see what you've uncovered.

I'm sure it will be costly to get all the documents.

TheRef
06-29-2014, 10:56 AM
I'm sure it will be costly to get all the documents.

Oh I'm sure. The Bears will fight tooth and nail for it.