PDA

View Full Version : So Sword is moving to PG next year...

fishwater99
06-27-2014, 01:21 PM
Sword is using the summer to work on a potential move back to point guard. The junior played the point as a freshman. He finished with a team-high 127 turnovers ? 57 more than any of his teammates.

He cut down on the bad decisions when he switched to shooting guard as a sophomore, committing 96. He plans to bring that mental maturity and better ball handling into his third season.

A move back to point guard would also improve his draft stock.

?If he can become a guy that can make shot and a guy that can prove that he?s a point guard at that level, he?s probably the most athletic attack guy in the SEC,? Ray said. ?I really believe that.?

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2014/06/26/ray-believes-several-mississippi-state-players-garner-nba-attention/11445245/

thf24
06-27-2014, 01:28 PM
Good move as long as he really does take care of the ball better than when he had to play the point as a freshman, which it stands to reason he should. I was hoping for this. Even if he doesn't improve his jump shot, it's not nearly as much of a liability to have a poor-shooting PG as it is a SG. It also lets us put a ton of size on the floor by sliding FTF to the 2 and Daniels to the 3. I wonder where Ready fits in though? He could be great if he could just stay healthy and bulk up enough to be serviceable on D.

TheRef
06-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Oh....in other news: FTF no longer has a Flat-top. So now he's just Fred. We need a new anagram for him.

Sword at the 1 makes sense as he can be more of a distributor than last last year.

BeardoMSU
06-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Oh....in other news: FTF no longer has a Flat-top. So now he's just Fred. We need a new anagram for him.

Sword at the 1 makes sense as he can be more of a distributor than last last year.

FFTF (Formerly Flat-Top Freddy)

MarketingBully01
06-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Well let's hope he puts in 23 hour days to improve his ball handling skills because the only reason why his TOs were down last year is because he didn't have the ball as much which is a big Duh I know but it's the truth. If it works out, would help him definitely but if t doesn't could cost some close games.

CadaverDawg
06-27-2014, 02:07 PM
I would rather put him at the 2 and win a few more games, than to try and turn him in to a PG in "hopes" that he "may" be able to go pro.

I'm all for getting guys to the pros, but at the end of the day, Ray needs to win at MSU and not worry about putting guys where they would best be as a pro. We don't have any pros...and unless Sword got new contacts or LASIK, he isn't cutting down the turnovers enough to be a pro PG. Not being mean, just saying what some won't.

Brad Stevens
06-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I don't know how I feel about this. Bloodman is even less of a threat as an off guard, and so is Ready due to height. I truly have no idea who we would start at the 2 and 3 in this situation unless it's Fred and throwing Houston into the fire. I have a feeling we still start Ready at the PG spot, but give Sword the freedom to take it up the court as he desires. We will see.

msstate7
06-27-2014, 02:19 PM
I would rather put him at the 2 and win a few more games, than to try and turn him in to a PG in "hopes" that he "may" be able to go pro.

I'm all for getting guys to the pros, but at the end of the day, Ray needs to win at MSU and not worry about putting guys where they would best be as a pro. We don't have any pros...and unless Sword got new contacts or LASIK, he isn't cutting down the turnovers enough to be a pro PG. Not being mean, just saying what some won't.

I disagree. I think sword will be fine at the point. Also with ready made of glass, we have to have someone ready to play the point. I'd rather have sword than bloodman

msstate7
06-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I don't know how I feel about this. Bloodman is even less of a threat as an off guard, and so is Ready due to height. I truly have no idea who we would start at the 2 and 3 in this situation unless it's Fred and throwing Houston into the fire. I have a feeling we still start Ready at the PG spot, but give Sword the freedom to take it up the court as he desires. We will see.

Ready
Sword
Thomas
Daniels
Ware

When the inevitable ready injury happens at least sword is prepared to run the point.

Brad Stevens
06-27-2014, 02:23 PM
I disagree. I think sword will be fine at the point. Also with ready made of glass, we have to have someone ready to play the point. I'd rather have sword than bloodman

I agree with you there, but the real question is would you rather have Bloodman as a second/third option PG and force a freshman or new player into a starting role in the process (with Houston or Dunlap)? If Sword starts at the 1, relegating Ready/Bloodman to the bench, then Fred and a new guy will have to start. I personally would rather Ready/Bloodman start with Sword and Fres and bring new guys off the bench.

Dawg61
06-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Sword isn't playing PG guys. Listen to the damn interview and stop reaching from shit articles that already reached from the interview. Listen to it. It's 12 minutes long.

http://youtu.be/UihnjD_KJYM

Political Hack
06-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Ready should be the 1. This is hopefully just as a back up role, because there's no way in hell Sword is the best PG on this team. He's actually a 3-man based in his talent, but that would force Ray to play small a lot.

lachepas565
06-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Don't see it happening - If Sword is at 1, there is no one to play 2. You're back to putting Ready,Davis, or Bloodman at 2 - maybe Dunlap. I feel like Ready/Sword > Sword/anybody else.

Coach34
06-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Ready
Sword
FFtF
Daniels
Ware

This is our starting line-up barring injury....now then,

You could put Sword at PG, play FFtF at the 2, and Houston at the 3 possibly for some stretches. Or just let Sword play PG and rest Ready.

I actually like it- Sword is hard to guard and could really create some open shots for others- especially vs zone because he doesnt shoot well- he could look to penetrate from the top instead of from the wing

Dawg61
06-27-2014, 04:35 PM
If Sword could just shoot and FFTF could just dribble we'd be a much better team.

msstate7
06-27-2014, 04:39 PM
If Sword could just shoot and FFTF could just dribble we'd be a much better team.

Well and if we had that elusive 13th guy... Haha

Political Hack
06-27-2014, 05:23 PM
if Ray wants to give Sword a chance at the NBA this is it. The 1 is his only chance.

Brad Stevens
06-27-2014, 05:35 PM
if Ray wants to give Sword a chance at the NBA this is it. The 1 is his only chance.

Ray doesn't have to do anything to give Sword a chance. NBA scouts are smart enough to see if guys project well enough to be an NBA pg or not. Every year there are college 2-guards who are drafted as NBA PGs based on tools. If anything, I think Ray is using it as motivation for Sword to avoid being stagnant and improving his overall game by giving him hope at a professional career. Ultimately some team will decide whether or not he has the tools to play PG whether he plays it in college or not.

Political Hack
06-27-2014, 05:48 PM
Ray doesn't have to do anything to give Sword a chance. NBA scouts are smart enough to see if guys project well enough to be an NBA pg or not. Every year there are college 2-guards who are drafted as NBA PGs based on tools. If anything, I think Ray is using it as motivation for Sword to avoid being stagnant and improving his overall game by giving him hope at a professional career. Ultimately some team will decide whether or not he has the tools to play PG whether he plays it in college or not.

don't disagree that the NBA can scout to figure it out, but given Sword's TO history as the PG, he has to rectify that to have a shot. No way around it. He'd be dropped in a heartbeat as a 1 as soon as they hear he had 127 turnovers in his one year as a PG in college.

TheDogFather
06-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Sword is using the summer to work on a potential move back to point guard. The junior played the point as a freshman. He finished with a team-high 127 turnovers ? 57 more than any of his teammates.

He cut down on the bad decisions when he switched to shooting guard as a sophomore, committing 96. He plans to bring that mental maturity and better ball handling into his third season.

A move back to point guard would also improve his draft stock.

?If he can become a guy that can make shot and a guy that can prove that he?s a point guard at that level, he?s probably the most athletic attack guy in the SEC,? Ray said. ?I really believe that.?

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2014/06/26/ray-believes-several-mississippi-state-players-garner-nba-attention/11445245/

Can we reserve in-depth basketball discussion until

A. We actually win games

or

B. We actually play games.

Otherwise it's just a painful reminder of our recent futility.

BeardoMSU
06-27-2014, 06:23 PM
FFTF (Formerly Flat-Top Freddy)

I guess people using this, means it's a keeper? Have I contributed to the annals of MSU basketball history?

msstate7
06-27-2014, 06:30 PM
I guess people using this, means it's a keeper? Have I contributed to the annals of MSU basketball history?

Yes. Youre just below John reik*

BeardoMSU
06-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Yes. Youre just below John reik*

Dammit...
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/270172/god-damnit-o.gif

Dawg61
06-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Can we reserve in-depth basketball discussion until

A. We actually win games

or

B. We actually play games.

Otherwise it's just a painful reminder of our recent futility.

No.

tcdog70
06-28-2014, 10:53 AM
here it is. We have two crippled smurf point guards. the only smart move is Chicken to the point. With Chicken at the point our defense will be much better. When Bloodman and Ready play they can't guard. Anybody in the Sec and shoot over them , no problem. We don't know if either or the smurf scant play a whole season without injuries(they haven't so far). Chicken to the point Rays smartest move so far.