PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Collins-Perfect Game scouting bit

MsStateBaseball
06-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Gavin Collins, C, Mississippi State ? It?s extremely early but signs already point to Collins being among the elite position player prospects on the Cape this summer. He has a quick bat with pull-side power, and he?s seems to have no clear issues adapting to elite level Cape pitching. And, for the second time in two years, the Bourne Braves could have the Cape?s best catcher, after enjoying Max Pentecost in 2013. Collins is only a rising sophomore but is already making an excellent impression.

engie
06-27-2014, 10:41 AM
He's going to be elite... Already is in the run game...

msstate7
06-27-2014, 10:46 AM
He's going to be elite... Already is in the run game...

Maybe catching lindgren will be the drive Collins needs to get better blocking up balls. You know a guy as good as Collins has to be embarrassed he let so many balls get by.

Rick Danko
06-27-2014, 10:51 AM
Maybe catching lindgren will be the drive Collins needs to get better blocking up balls. You know a guy as good as Collins has to be embarrassed he let so many balls get by.

Please, dear sweet 8 pound 6 oz, newborn baby Jesus, let this be the case...

Todd4State
06-27-2014, 12:03 PM
I think he has a chance to be on the Team USA collegiate National Team next year and will be a Johnny Bench Award candidate as a junior.

HoopsDawg
06-27-2014, 12:50 PM
I think the surface around home plate at Dudy Noble didn't do him any service.

smootness
06-27-2014, 02:25 PM
The people who claimed he was below-average defensively or that Vallot or someone else might take over catcher and have Collins DH are stupid.

DapperDawg
06-27-2014, 02:49 PM
The people who claimed he was below-average defensively or that Vallot or someone else might take over catcher and have Collins DH are stupid.

He was tied for second in the conference last season on passed balls. He struggled blocking balls behind the plate, which I'm sure you can chalk up to youth and nasty pitches. Regardless, I'd say he was average defensively. His arm looks to be elite; he just has to improve on keeping balls in front of him, and I expect him to do so by next season.

Radddawg
06-27-2014, 03:01 PM

He has an incredible pop time and he'll hit above.300 all 3 years he's in Starkville but his inability to keep breaking balls in front of him cost us big time down the stretch... It is what it is.

Todd4State
06-27-2014, 03:47 PM

It's moot now, but if Vallot had come to MSU it would have been very ideal because then we could have let one catch and then the other DH. As it is, we have to pretty much catch Collins every day and then on occasion let Randolph and Walker play.

Todd4State
06-27-2014, 03:54 PM
With Collins, the catchers in high school don't see/have to catch sliders and curveballs like what Lindgren and Holder very often. That's an adjustment that a lot of high school guys have to make in the SEC or in the pros. A slider like Lindgren's is really hard for even pro catchers to keep in front of them- it's one of those things that fans take for granted when watching a MLB game because the guys up there are so good at it and make it look routine- which for them it is.

I'm not too worried about Collins because it most of his issues were with Lindgren. With everyone else, he was fine. So, I have no reason to suspect that it was the turf or anything else.

Todd4State
06-27-2014, 03:54 PM
He has an incredible pop time and he'll hit above.300 all 3 years he's in Starkville but his inability to keep breaking balls in front of him cost us big time down the stretch... It is what it is.

That's why most coaches don't like to play freshmen.

Homedawg
06-27-2014, 04:09 PM

The whole of the parts he's avg. defensively. Or better worded was avg as a fr. Above avg thrower and a below avg receiver. I said it and stick to it. There's no secret he had a ton of pass balls and we led the league in wild pitches. It wasn't like he only missed balls when Jacob pitched. There is no question he has a chance to be special. But just because that's the case didn't make him a good RECEIVER this year, just a great thrower. And he can flat shut down a runnin game now.