PDA

View Full Version : Hann

Homedawg
06-26-2014, 04:42 PM
As expect Hann is transferring. It's reported now so it's out.

Goat Holder
06-26-2014, 05:16 PM
More good attrition if you ask me. I wish he and Garner the best, but neither are big losses regarding our squad. I mean, these are talented guys that are leaving because they can't get on the field, has to be a good indicator of program health.

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Where?

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 05:19 PM
More good attrition if you ask me. I wish he and Garner the best, but neither are big losses regarding our squad. I mean, these are talented guys that are leaving because they can't get on the field, has to be a good indicator of program health.

Hann can't hit so he is good attrition.

messageboardsuperhero
06-26-2014, 05:25 PM

Yeah, these are my thoughts too. Hann and Garner are both very talented, and I wish them nothing but the best- but it says a lot about what Cohen is doing when these kind of talented players decide to move along because they can't get enough PT. Attrition is just part of college sports- particularly baseball. I wish we could get everyone on the field, but there are only eight spots.

BTW, don't look now, but Britton is hitting really well in the Cape so far this summer. I think his average is above now .300 with some walks in there too. If he can give us a .350 OBP with a little bit of pop and his typical defense, he'll be a very valuable player.

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Yeah, these are my thoughts too. Hann and Garner are both very talented, and I wish them nothing but the best- but it says a lot about what Cohen is doing when these kind of talented players decide to move along because they can't get enough PT. Attrition is just part of college sports- particularly baseball. I wish we could get everyone on the field, but there are only eight spots.

BTW, don't look now, but Britton is hitting really well in the Cape so far this summer. I think his average is above now .300 with some walks in there too. If he can give us a .350 OBP with a little bit of pop and his typical defense, he'll be a very valuable player.

Britton should benefit from the new baseball as much as anyone on the team. As Coach said- all hail German....uh....Britton hit .313 after the Ole Miss series last year. He obviously paid attention at the closed door meeting.

engie
06-26-2014, 06:22 PM
This is probably going to hurt our ability to recruit middle infielders going forward**

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 06:25 PM
This is probably going to hurt our ability to recruit middle infielders going forward**

The ones that suck will know to not get their hopes up.

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 06:34 PM

Zing.

maroonmania
06-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Losing Hann is not an issue other than we lost Burdick. We NEED some middle infielders badly to take over after next year. We definitely lose Britton and Heck after the 2015 season and could potentially lose Holland.

messageboardsuperhero
06-26-2014, 07:38 PM
Losing Hann is not an issue other than we lost Burdick. We NEED some middle infielders badly to take over after next year. We definitely lose Britton and Heck after the 2015 season and could potentially lose Holland.

We'll have Gridley with a year under his belt and Luke Alexander- who could help out immediately. But yeah, I'm sure you'll see Cohen grad a JUCO MIF or two to have for the 2016 season. I still hate that we lost Burdick, but he obviously never wanted to come to college in the first place.

ETA: Also, Hunter Stovall from the 2015 class may end up at 2nd too.

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Where did hann transfer? Another D-1 school?? Juco??

Joe Schmedlap
06-26-2014, 07:59 PM
I'm not seeing all this "talent" on the field. Other than Pirtle, I didn't see any position players on our squad who could compare with what UVA and VU had on the field in Omaha. We just don't have any offense.

Coach34
06-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Britton should benefit from the new baseball as much as anyone on the team. As Coach said- all hail German....uh....Britton hit .313 after the Ole Miss series last year. He obviously paid attention at the closed door meeting.

all Beitton needed was to be an everyday player. He will probably hit .280 or better next year for us. He also has good speed.

MsStateBaseball
06-26-2014, 09:25 PM
You can bet we will get another MIF or two before august. JC or HS, I don't care.

maroonmania
06-26-2014, 09:58 PM
You can bet we will get another MIF or two before august. JC or HS, I don't care.

Yea, but we need more than bodies. We need guys that can be difference makers in the SEC. Not a lot of those left at this point for this recruiting class. We were fortunate to get Heck late last year but I think everyone was surprised that he's turned to actually be as good as he is.

MsStateBaseball
06-26-2014, 10:02 PM
I promise you Cohen calls around for the best. My guess will be JC guys from west coast. He will spare no expense to find one or two great MIF like Heck.

trob115
06-26-2014, 10:13 PM
Don't forget we just got Luke Reynolds too and he can play any IF position.

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 10:23 PM
Don't forget we just got Luke Reynolds too and he can play any IF position.

IMO, he's more of a corner INF/OF guy.

trob115
06-26-2014, 10:24 PM
IMO, he's more of a corner INF/OF guy.
Agreed, but he did play SS in high school and wasn't bad there at all.

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 10:26 PM
I promise you Cohen calls around for the best. My guess will be JC guys from west coast. He will spare no expense to find one or two great MIF like Heck.

We have Heck, Holland, and then Michael Smith can also play 2B as well as the OF. Ryan Gridley is going to get some playing time and be one of the back-ups in the MIF more than likely unless he just comes in right away and hits. Also, Britton has been playing some 2B for his Cape Cod League team. Yes, he will be mainly at third base for us, and him playing 2B is mainly for the scouts, but he certainly could become a potential option if things go crazy, which they tend to do for us.

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Agreed, but he did play SS in high school and wasn't bad there at all.

That's doesn't surprise me. Most guys that end up drafted/in D-I play SS in high school if they are an infielder.

I really like Reynolds- he may or may not have an impact next year, but he's going to be a good player for us.

messageboardsuperhero
06-26-2014, 10:47 PM
We have Heck, Holland, and then Michael Smith can also play 2B as well as the OF. Ryan Gridley is going to get some playing time and be one of the back-ups in the MIF more than likely unless he just comes in right away and hits. Also, Britton has been playing some 2B for his Cape Cod League team. Yes, he will be mainly at third base for us, and him playing 2B is mainly for the scouts, but he certainly could become a potential option if things go crazy, which they tend to do for us.

Yeah, no kidding.

-Signed, Preston Brown and Ross Mitchell starting Friday and Saturday nights and intentionally pitching Chad Girodo more innings than our starter.

The more I think about it, the more amazed I am by the amount of success we've had the past few years considering all the things that have seemingly gone wrong for us. Tons of injuries in the lineup in 2012; only one real starting pitcher in 2013 after everyone thought we'd have a ton of good starters; and tons of injuries on the mound and lack luster performances at the plate in 2014; etc. After all that, we've still managed to win an SEC tournament in 2012, make a CWS finals appearance in 2013, and win 18 SEC games in 2014. And I didn't even mention us almost getting to Omaha in 2011 with basically a JUCO All-Star team + Caleb Reed.

It's really a testament to Cohen and Thompson's willingness to be creative and their ability to make chicken salad out of what has at times not been elite level players. That's not to say that our recent players have been bad- but they've certainly overachieved at times (which is definitely a good thing). It just makes me more excited about the future, because on paper we're recruiting better than any time in Cohen's tenure.

maroonmania
06-27-2014, 10:14 AM

Well obviously we are set up well all around the infield for 2015, its 2016 where we are going to be lacking if we don't add some significant contributors on the infield.