PDA

View Full Version : How big was today?

CadaverDawg
06-26-2014, 02:24 PM
How many times have we gotten this far or further? What's the furthest we've gotten? Quarters vs Brazil?

hacker
06-26-2014, 02:30 PM
We finished third in 1930, bruh. #weareMSU

hacker
06-26-2014, 02:32 PM
Here's our finishes since 1990:

http://i.imgur.com/iirPBt4.png

smootness
06-26-2014, 02:34 PM
The furthest we've been in the modern era is the quarters in 2002 where we lost 1-0 to Germany.

This is only the 4th time we've been out of the group stage, and 2002 was the only year where we won a knockout-round game.

But this was absolutely massive. We've never been in a group this tough, and we definitely haven't made it out of a group this tough before. This was monumental for US soccer. Anything we get beyond this is historic and huge.

jumbo
06-26-2014, 02:53 PM
this is also the first time we've ever advanced in consecutive world cups.

CadaverDawg
06-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys. So we're rooting against Belgium in their game today right?

mstatefan91
06-26-2014, 03:05 PM
I am. I'd much rather play Algeria. Group H is pretty open

mstatefan91
06-26-2014, 03:07 PM
Well damn Russia is up a goal

smootness
06-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Thanks guys. So we're rooting against Belgium in their game today right?

Sure, but neither a Belgium loss or Algeria win are likely. We'd love to play Algeria, but there's about a 5% chance of that happening.

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 04:08 PM
As far as the popularity in the states, massive. I work for an MLS team right now and our ticket inquiries have gone up with every game. The game has been growing a ton here for the past few years and the timing of the WC couldn't be better for it. Couple that with the fact that we are out of probably the hardest group, and the game will grow that much more here

jumbo
06-26-2014, 04:12 PM
As far as the popularity in the states, massive. I work for an MLS team right now and our ticket inquiries have gone up with every game. The game has been growing a ton here for the past few years and the timing of the WC couldn't be better for it. Couple that with the fact that we are out of probably the hardest group, and the game will grow that much more here

what team do you work for?

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 04:18 PM
what team do you work for?

The dynamo. It's an internship

jumbo
06-26-2014, 04:20 PM
The dynamo. It's an internship

Is Marcus Madlock still there? I worked for him with the Heat in 2010.

Bullmutt
06-26-2014, 04:28 PM
As socce'sr popularity increases, think of all the moms who will be so pleased to see Junior choose soccer instead of football, "so he won't get hurt"!

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 04:32 PM
Is Marcus Madlock still there? I worked for him with the Heat in 2010.

I believe so, yes

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 04:33 PM
As socce'sr popularity increases, think of all the moms who will be so pleased to see Junior choose soccer instead of football, "so he won't get hurt"!

Cool, thanks for posting!

TheRef
06-26-2014, 04:36 PM

No sport is completely safe. Every parent knows this. Hell...I'm a college student and I know that. All of the "non-contact" sports have contact. Hell...basketball is considered a "non-contact" sport.

quickstrike2
06-26-2014, 04:41 PM
Soccer will probably grow some in the United States, but I can't see alot of growth. I don't care much for it, but I am keeping up with it and watched some the of the match today. It probably just worked out that way, but it couldn't have came in a better situation for it to look like people are paying more attention to soccer. Football, basketball, college baseball seasons are over and in the middle of MLB basically means there's not much else to keep up with.

Saltydog
06-26-2014, 04:54 PM
dynamics and demographics of the United States. Don't forget the 1,000,000 illegal alients that enter this country each year. They come to the U.S. but root for Mexico and waive their damn flag. Sickening.

hacker
06-26-2014, 04:56 PM
dynamics and demographics of the United States. Don't forget the 1,000,000 illegal alients that enter this country each year. They come to the U.S. but root for Mexico and waive their damn flag. Sickening.

You are ignorant.

Saltydog
06-26-2014, 04:58 PM
what I've stated is the absolute truth.

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 05:07 PM
what I've stated is the absolute truth.

You're ignorance is thinking that it's illegals driving the growth. Illegals don't fill the stadiums. They go, but don't fill it. IMMIGRANTS, legal ones, are the ones that fill it. Legal American citizens are the season ticket holders.

You're also ignorant in calling it "sickening". Somewhere along your bloodline, someone in your family came here and was considered an illegal, invading alien. Our history is one of immigrants. I'm not saying to open the fences and let people in, but to act like it is sickening and unheard of is, in fact, ignorant

HereComesTheSpiral
06-26-2014, 05:18 PM

Because parents just love watching their kids pissing and shitting themselves in a wheelchair from all of the head injuries.

Saltydog
06-26-2014, 05:28 PM
whatsoever. I went to a highschool soccer match in MS just this past fall and the team was predominantly hispanic. BTW, it was in New Albany if you must know and they weren't the only team that had a lot of hispanic players on their team. I don't have a problem with hispanics but the hispanic influence is chaning the demographics of this country and in turn is a factor in increasing the popularity of the sport.

Johnson85
06-26-2014, 05:29 PM
You're ignorance is thinking that it's illegals driving the growth. Illegals don't fill the stadiums. They go, but don't fill it. IMMIGRANTS, legal ones, are the ones that fill it. Legal American citizens are the season ticket holders.

You're also ignorant in calling it "sickening". Somewhere along your bloodline, someone in your family came here and was considered an illegal, invading alien. Our history is one of immigrants. I'm not saying to open the fences and let people in, but to act like it is sickening and unheard of is, in fact, ignorant

Unless you have some insight into his heritage, this is most likely wrong. We had pretty open immigration for a long time. We still have relatively open immigration compared to most of the developed world. Lots of people have come here legally.

Johnson85
06-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Because parents just love watching their kids pissing and shitting themselves in a wheelchair from all of the head injuries.

I'm not aware of that happening much at all regardless, but I'm guessing when it does it's because of spinal injuries.

smootness
06-26-2014, 05:33 PM
whatsoever. I went to a highschool soccer match in MS just this past fall and the team was predominantly hispanic. BTW, it was in New Albany if you must know and they weren't the only team that had a lot of hispanic players on their team. I don't have a problem with hispanics but the hispanic influence is chaning the demographics of this country and in turn is a factor in increasing the popularity of the sport.

Oh, so you equate Hispanics with illegal aliens. Phenomenal. Carry on.

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Oh, so you equate Hispanics with illegal aliens. Phenomenal. Carry on.

Because you can't be an American if your family comes from somewhere else. Duh

HereComesTheSpiral
06-26-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm not aware of that happening much at all regardless, but I'm guessing when it does it's because of spinal injuries.

Then go to the VA hospital and you will see more than you ever want to see.

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 05:40 PM
Unless you have some insight into his heritage, this is most likely wrong. We had pretty open immigration for a long time. We still have relatively open immigration compared to most of the developed world. Lots of people have come here legally.

I know lots of people came here legally, that wasn't what I meant. I meant that unless he is purely Native American, which he could be, someone along his blood immigrated here. And to those native Americans that we took land from, they were invading.

Dawg61
06-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Good gawd guys it's just f@cking soccer let's not turn this into a Holy War in here!!

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0523/mlb_bobblehead_d1_400x600.jpg

Saltydog
06-26-2014, 07:37 PM
California and you have NO idea of what you speak. I've attended boxing matches and seen Hispanic U.S. citizens waving the Mexican flag rooting for a Hispanic U.S. boxer. Do they live in Mexico? NOPE! Same with soccer. If the U.S. plays Mexico note how many Hispanic US citizens will root for Mexico. WTF? Do they live in Mexico? Did they choose to leave there for a reason? Then why the **CK root for them. I'm of Dutch-German ancestry but you don't see me waving a German flag when the US plays Germany in some international event. That's what I'm referring too as sickening.

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 07:46 PM
California and you have NO idea of what you speak. I've attended boxing matches and seen Hispanic U.S. citizens waving the Mexican flag rooting for a Hispanic U.S. boxer. Do they live in Mexico? NOPE! Same with soccer. If the U.S. plays Mexico note how many Hispanic US citizens will root for Mexico. WTF? Do they live in Mexico? Did they choose to leave there for a reason? Then why the **CK root for them. I'm of Dutch-German ancestry but you don't see me waving a German flag when the US plays Germany in some international event. That's what I'm referring too as sickening.

How would that sicken you? Yes, they left for greener pastures. That's the American dream isn't it? It doesn't mean they shouldnt hope their culture doesn't succeed in sports or other.

mstatefan91
06-26-2014, 07:55 PM
The fighting on all of this has been some of the most entertaining stuff I've ever read. Last summer must have been boring as f*ck on this board.

Saltydog
06-26-2014, 07:56 PM
for your response. I'm not saying you can't have an individual identity but if you come to this country and this country welcomes you here then why root against her? Who says they should hope their culture doesn't succeed. They most certainly should hope it does but at the same token support the country that supports you.

Saltydog
06-26-2014, 07:58 PM
nt

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 07:59 PM
for your response. I'm not saying you can't have an individual identity but if you come to this country and this country welcomes you here then why root against her? Who says they should hope their culture doesn't succeed. They most certainly should hope it does but at the same token support the country that supports you.

And waving a Mexican flag at a soccer game isn't supporting this country? Since I talked about MLS and how this helps us, and you started talking about immigrants/Hispanics, how would waving a Mexican flag at an MLS game hurt us? I just don't get your reasoning on how they can't support both.

bgdog
06-26-2014, 08:10 PM
So.

This got kind of weird huh?

Dawg61
06-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Shit just got crazy

http://global3.memecdn.com/lets-get-crazy-up-in-here_o_183888.gif

hacker
06-27-2014, 02:32 AM

Who gives a shit what other people do? If you were born in Germany and recently moved to another country, do you think you'd have a little more pride for the country you were born in? Stop trying to force your values down the throat of everyone.

hacker
06-27-2014, 02:34 AM
BTW, please learn to respond in sequence so I don't have to look for your response.

Apparently you aren't even aware which board you're posting on.

CadaverDawg
06-27-2014, 08:24 AM
My how this thread went down an odd path.

At least Salty has finally gotten off the Rebels' nuts long enough to talk something different. If I had seen one more "I'm telling you guys, this OM team isn't done yet...they very well could win it all!" From Salty, I think I would have gone on a rampage.

SignalToNoise
06-27-2014, 09:22 AM
Yo, Salty dog:

Xenophobia: intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other country

You has it.

Apoplectic
06-27-2014, 05:03 PM
You are ignorant.

No I would say ur ignorant! Assimilate and contribute or get ur blood sucking lips off the carcass.