PDA

View Full Version : Germans bomb Pearl Harbor!!!

Coach34
06-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Ghana bout to roll too

C34 be like- https://vine.co/v/MtIhzLU7m09

Political Hack
06-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Portugal scores.

mstatefan91
06-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Keep making threads coach. Your doing a good job

DownwardDawg
06-26-2014, 01:12 PM
Ghana bout to roll too

C34 be like- https://vine.co/v/MtIhzLU7m09

WTF was that all about???? What kind of little animal is that in the video? Holy shat!!!!

Vandownbytheriver
06-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Lock it up. Since that's what happens here.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-26-2014, 01:47 PM
I think we've moved on to just making them disappear.

Coach34
06-26-2014, 02:00 PM
US went 1-1-1...won 1 game out of 3 and moves on #soccer

Covercorner2
06-26-2014, 02:06 PM
US went 1-1-1...won 1 game out of 3 and moves on #soccer

We won 1/3 of our football games in regulation last year and went bowling #football

Just sayin....

CadaverDawg
06-26-2014, 02:08 PM
We won 1/3 of our football games in regulation last year and went bowling #football

Just sayin....

Boom

hacker
06-26-2014, 02:16 PM
yea, 1-1-1 in the hardest group -- same record as the #4 team in the world

hacker
06-26-2014, 02:17 PM
dudes get a hit 1 out of 3 times at the plate and it's considered good. #baseball

FISHDAWG
06-26-2014, 02:20 PM
dudes get a hit 1 out of 3 times at the plate and it's considered good. #baseball

meatloaf says 2 out of 3 aint bad

Coach34
06-26-2014, 02:31 PM

Just sayin....

but we still won all 3....terrible comparision is terrible

mstatefan91
06-26-2014, 02:33 PM

It's called group play. Good Lord. It's not that hard of a concept. Everything here on out for the USA is win or go home. That better with you?

06-26-2014, 02:45 PM

November 5, 2011 - LSU 9, Alabama 6
January 9, 2012 - Alabama 21, LSU 0

Alabama : 12–1
LSU : 13-1

Alabama is the best team in the NATION for 2011!

Brad Stevens
06-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Coach, you do realize there are possible ties in the NFL regular season also, right?

06-26-2014, 03:03 PM
But seriously look at it as a conference tournament - basketball or baseball.

You might not win the last game in the conference tournament but if you are good enough you get selected to the national tournament.

mstatefan91
06-26-2014, 03:09 PM
There's no reasoning with him. Soccer cost him his life's work by injuring his one good player

hacker
06-26-2014, 03:52 PM
There's no reasoning with him. Soccer cost him his life's work by injuring his one good player

HAHAHA, gold

curmudgeon
06-26-2014, 03:57 PM
So we beat Ghana by a goal, which sounds like a disappointment, but we are supposed to be impressed.

Then we tie Portugal, which is much better than us, but it feels like a loss.

Then we lose to Germany, and it supposed to feel like a win.

This is really confusing.

So now we play Belgium and like a real sport, we can't tie anymore right?

Saltydog
06-26-2014, 04:00 PM
it's too low scoring..........Plus, it's just plain unAmerican, IMO.........

mstatefan91
06-26-2014, 04:01 PM
So we beat Ghana by a goal, which sounds like a disappointment, but we are supposed to be impressed.

Correct and the Ghana game felt like a victory all the way to me. That was sweet revenge

mstatefan91
06-26-2014, 04:03 PM
it's too low scoring..........Plus, it's just plain unAmerican, IMO.........

This unAmerican argument just doesn't make sense. I can understand people not liking it because of the pace but not liking it because it's unAmerican? What does that even mean? "Murica didn't invent it so it doesn't count."

Riiight

curmudgeon
06-26-2014, 04:05 PM
We shouldn't be teaching our children that a loss or a tie is okay. That's unAmerican.

TheRef
06-26-2014, 04:07 PM

Correct. From this point forward, there will be no ties in the World Cup.

boarmassage
06-26-2014, 04:07 PM
This unAmerican argument just doesn't make sense. I can understand people not liking it because of the pace but not liking it because it's unAmerican? What does that even mean? "Murica didn't invent it so it doesn't count."

Riiight

I also don't get the argument about it being low scoring. Yes, some games can end in a 0-0 tie but is it low scoring because we only assign one point for one goal? What if touchdowns were just one point instead of seven? Football games don't all end with a just a few touchdowns, but the games that do are usually considered very good defensive games.

mstatefan91
06-26-2014, 04:08 PM
We shouldn't be teaching our children that a loss or a tie is okay. That's unAmerican.

Eventually in this tournament you win or lose. Still one team standing at the end. Everybody else will have lost and been eliminated.

Group stage is all about the bigger picture. The two teams with the most points advance. The other's get eliminated. The winners get the most points and the losers get eliminated. What's not American about that?

hacker
06-26-2014, 04:13 PM
Basketball was invented by a Canadian, guys. :(

DudyDawg

Only when you get your piece in first

mstatefan91
Basketball was invented by a Canadian, guys. :(

Really? Didn't know that. lol Learn something everyday

Ehh he became American later. 'Murica

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 04:15 PM

They aren't teaching them go out and lose. It's that it won't knock you out. Teams lose in week 16 of the nfl and get into the playoffs all the time. This is a stupid, narrow minded argument. You're looking at something in the distance and calling it dumb while the thing right in front of your nose operates the same way.

Hypnodawg
06-26-2014, 04:20 PM
I also don't get the argument about it being low scoring. Yes, some games can end in a 0-0 tie but is it low scoring because we only assign one point for one goal? What if touchdowns were just one point instead of seven? Football games don't all end with a just a few touchdowns, but the games that do are usually considered very good defensive games.

First, touchdowns count 6, 1 or 2 for the pat, 3 for field goal, 2 for safety. Your analogy is over simplified from the start.
Second, the minimum number of points scored in an MSU football game last year was 27, that's 4 goals in your over simplified analogy. Meaning the least offensive game we had last season was 4x more interesting than the soccer game played today.

mstatefan91
06-26-2014, 04:23 PM
First, touchdowns count 6, 1 or 2 for the pat, 3 for field goal, 2 for safety. Your analogy is over simplified from the start.
Second, the minimum number of points scored in an MSU football game last year was 27, that's 4 goals in your over simplified analogy. Meaning the least offensive game we had last season was 4x more interesting than the soccer game played today.

You are correct here. Football does provide multiple ways to score thus the need of a scale to measure the meaningfulness of what happened.

Soccer provides only one way to score thus no need to mark it as anything but 1.

Like I said, I have no problem with someone disliking the sport from a pure sport point of view. It's not your cup of tea I get that. I just don't get the hostility to it due to the perception that it isn't "American."

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 04:29 PM

Yeah, cause watching an nba game is 50x more interesting than football**
You don't like it, that's cool, but that doesn't make it less exciting because it has less goals

hacker
06-26-2014, 04:34 PM

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=282570344

Pollodawg
06-26-2014, 04:44 PM
The day people start acting like this shit is on par with MSU football on a site dedicated to MSU athletics is here it appears.

boarmassage
06-26-2014, 04:46 PM

Yes, excuse me for assuming the extra point is an automatic. Not always but it generally is. And yes you can score in many different ways in football but that doesn't mean it can't be just as boring as a 0-0 soccer match. As others have said, it isn't that people don't like soccer, it's that they always say it isn't American or that it is ruining the children or some other nonsense. If you don't like it then you don't like it. Everything isn't for everyone.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-26-2014, 04:46 PM
Im really not getting the whole boring thing, it is non stop from the time they start. There are not commercials every ten seconds. The flopping gets old, but i dont have to sit through ten minutes of bullshit every time there is a possession change.

Pollodawg
06-26-2014, 04:47 PM
I tried to be friends with the soccer kids, but this is too funny. The US has become way too infected with "Internationalism." The majority of Americans don's give a single damn about Soccer, and it's likely they never will. And, for a moment, stop and think about what you're doing when you say we only won 1/3 of our games as a football program. You are basically tearing MSU football down to prove your point. Is that not what you're doing?

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 04:55 PM
I tried to be friends with the soccer kids, but this is too funny. The US has become way too infected with "Internationalism." The majority of Americans don's give a single damn about Soccer, and it's likely they never will. And, for a moment, stop and think about what you're doing when you say we only won 1/3 of our games as a football program. You are basically tearing MSU football down to prove your point. Is that not what you're doing?

"The majority doesn't care", is no longer the state of it. Check the ratings. The Portugal game had more than any nba finals games

Pollodawg
06-26-2014, 04:58 PM
"The majority doesn't care", is no longer the state of it. Check the ratings. The Portugal game had more than any nba finals games

How does stack up against NFL games? But, which do you prefer: Soccer, or MSU sports?

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 05:10 PM
How does stack up against NFL games? But, which do you prefer: Soccer, or MSU sports?

And yet, no one compared soccer's size to nfl.

Depends, which MSU sport?

curmudgeon
06-26-2014, 06:01 PM
The NBA sucks too with their two month long playoff.

Soccer is where it needs to be. Like the Olympics, every four years we can handle a little figure skating and skiing, a little gymnastics and swimming and a little soccer.

The book of faces has told me that we are okay with today's loss. That sucks. I agree with Kenny Powers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzww11h8s8A

Dawg61
06-26-2014, 06:43 PM
The day people start acting like this shit is on par with MSU football on a site dedicated to MSU athletics is here it appears.

Soccer is not a threat to MSU. It's is June and the only other major sport going on right now is MLB and it is summer school time for MSU so zero sports there. Would you prefer we just fill the board with news about 2017 football recruits? Only talking about football gets pretty damn boring when there's no football being played right now. Be flexible with the board and with people is my suggestion. Today we talk soccer last week we talked college baseball and two months from now we will have 7,000 threads on college football. You don't always get to listen to your favorite song when you go out either.

scottycameron
06-26-2014, 06:59 PM
I'll bet you this, one day soccer will surpass football as america's #1 sport. Not any time soon but it will eventually happen. All you have to do is extrapolate. The mexican/latino population is exploding, and soccer will explode with it. There will, without a doubt, be a day in the future (I doubt I'll be here) where soccer is number 1 and spanish surpasses english as a language in America. It's inevitable. The back biters will have the last laugh in the end.

curmudgeon
06-26-2014, 07:24 PM
I'll bet you this, one day soccer will surpass football as america's #1 sport. Not any time soon but it will eventually happen. All you have to do is extrapolate. The mexican/latino population is exploding, and soccer will explode with it. There will, without a doubt, be a day in the future (I doubt I'll be here) where soccer is number 1 and spanish surpasses english as a language in America. It's inevitable. The back biters will have the last laugh in the end.

I hope I am six foot under when all of that happens. That sounds terrible.

Saltydog
06-26-2014, 07:27 PM
a few......Not that I give a damn..........

Coach34
06-26-2014, 08:16 PM
If the NBA Finals were held every 4 years- their ratings would double anything World Cup

compare NBA Finals ratings to MLS finals ratings and u see where soccer really is

DudyDawg
06-26-2014, 08:20 PM
If the NBA Finals were held every 4 years- their ratings would double anything World Cup

compare NBA Finals ratings to MLS finals ratings and u see where soccer really is

The NBA is the top of the basketball world. The MLS isn't. Compare a top league to the NBA and I bet it is very close. Also, the USA-Portugal game wasn't a final.

I don't think anyone has argued that MLS or USA soccer is bigger than the nba yet. Soccer people are just posting evidence that it is growing at a massive pace.

Coach34
06-26-2014, 08:23 PM
A lot of the inflated ratings with soccer in the World Cup is simply nationalism. People getting behind the national team. It's a USA thing as much as a soccer thing

Dawg61
06-26-2014, 08:36 PM
A lot of the inflated ratings with soccer in the World Cup is simply nationalism. People getting behind the national team. It's a USA thing as much as a soccer thing

Absolutely and it is fun when USA joins together to root for a team, same thing happens during the Olympics and for the Ryder Cup etc.. it is just a fun sporting event to cheer for USA and there's nothing wrong with that. It's not like there's going to be a bunch of MLS threads on here any year soon.

TheRef
06-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Absolutely and it is fun when USA joins together to root for a team, same thing happens during the Olympics and for the Ryder Cup etc.. it is just a fun sporting event to cheer for USA and there's nothing wrong with that. It's not like there's going to be a bunch of MLS threads on here any year soon.

Not MLS....but I will do a EPL and Champions League thread when it starts.

Trollololololol

LiterallyPolice
06-26-2014, 08:59 PM
God, this thread again?

There are a few unalienable facts, that everyone must understand:

1. Trying to argue Sport A is better than Sport B is completely futile. You might as well argue the best color. There are many things that draw people to sports completely separate from the game itself.... pride for a city/school/country, social reasons, etc.

2. All sports have crazy rules that, to the uninitiated, may seem completely ridiculous and backwards. Most of the time they are there for a reason.

3. Coach is obvious trolling to an extent... Why take the bait?

Pollodawg
06-26-2014, 09:14 PM
I just don't like the whole "well, MSU only 1/3 of their games in regulation and we still went bowling." This makes me wonder if you were fed paint chips as a child. These two things are nothing alike. To begin with, State WON all of our overtime games. For another, why would someone take a shot at a team we all love on here just to advance an agenda? It's stupid.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-26-2014, 09:42 PM
For another, why would someone take a shot at a team we all love on here just to advance an agenda? It's stupid.

Because someone else on this board is taking shots against a team that represents the country we all love? The difference is the soccer people are making a point, Coach is just being a dick.

Brad Stevens
06-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Coach, I will say it again. Your beloved sport of football has the possibilities of ties in the regular season. Also, as I mentioned before, I love basketball and it's the only sport I played in high school. However, I probably watched 5x as many EPL games than NBA games this year. It's not the anomaly you may think - lots of people are starting to love soccer's best league over NBA.

Charlie_Sheen420
06-26-2014, 10:15 PM
I'm guessing there will be another one of these threads next Tuesday.....will the title include "Belgian waffles"?

TheRef
06-26-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm guessing there will be another one of these threads next Tuesday.....will the title include "Belgian waffles"?

Belgian beer is better than American beer?

hacker
06-27-2014, 02:18 AM

The US matches in this World Cup are getting scarily close to MSU sports for me.

Pollodawg
06-27-2014, 11:50 AM
The US matches in this World Cup are getting scarily close to MSU sports for me.

lol. OK. If that floats your boat.

Pollodawg
06-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Because someone else on this board is taking shots against a team that represents the country we all love? The difference is the soccer people are making a point, Coach is just being a dick.

So, basically, **** State up next to a sport 75% of American don't give a shit about? Is that what you're saying. Dude, it's a game. We are (were) the most powerful nation in the world. We don't need people kicking a ball nonsensically for umpteen hours to feel good about ourselves.

mstatefan91
06-27-2014, 11:59 AM
So, basically, **** State up next to a sport 75% of American don't give a shit about? Is that what you're saying. Dude, it's a game. We are (were) the most powerful nation in the world. We don't need people kicking a ball nonsensically for umpteen hours to feel good about ourselves.

lol oh the irony

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-27-2014, 01:02 PM
So because America is more powerful than Belgium economically and militarily I shouldn't care if America wins or losses the game against them in soccer?

Pollodawg
06-27-2014, 01:13 PM
So because America is more powerful than Belgium economically and militarily I shouldn't care if America wins or losses the game against them in soccer?

I never said that. I was just pointing out how stupid it was for someone to tear down State to make a point about soccer. An incorrect point at that.