PDA

View Full Version : Elite soccer athletes

dickiedawg
06-25-2014, 04:09 PM
I was just pondering this. Given soccer's overwhelming popularity on the global stage, there's got to be some percentage of the world's best athletes playing that sport. They're not all coming to the sates to play NBA and NFL (the sports I generally associate with freak athleticism).

For the folks who follow soccer on the highest levels, more than just team usa, can you think of some examples of just freakish athleticism? Who are soccer's Lebron James, Calvin Johnson, Jadeveon Clowney?

TheRef
06-25-2014, 04:10 PM
I was just pondering this. Given soccer's overwhelming popularity on the global stage, there's got to be some percentage of the world's best athletes playing that sport. They're not all coming to the sates to play NBA and NFL (the sports I generally associate with freak athleticism).

For the folks who follow soccer on the highest levels, more than just team usa, can you think of some examples of just freakish athleticism? Who are soccer's Lebron James, Calvin Johnson, Jadeveon Clowney?

Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, van Persie

mstatefan91
06-25-2014, 04:21 PM
Suarez too if you can keep him from biting people

Dawg61
06-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Ibrahimovic is a damn good player too, he's not in the WC though.

TheRef
06-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Suarez too if you can keep him from biting people

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/sdemedia/sdeimages/pulse/Suarezbite5.jpg

Covercorner2
06-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Are we talking "freaks" in terms of soccer talent and the ability of the player, or "freaks" in terms of measurable athleticism (size, speed, explosiveness, leaping ability, etc)?

smootness
06-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, van Persie

Cristiano Ronaldo is a great example; the others, not necessarily.

Messi and Neymar have great speed, but they don't have much size, and their best qualities are their ball control and technical skills, not really their athleticism.

Van Persie is a good athlete, but I certainly wouldn't put him in the class of freak athletes like LeBron and others.

People like to talk about the fact that the US could just put our best athletes in soccer and be great, but it doesn't work that way. Basketball depends a lot on size, speed, and agility, overall athleticism. Football depends on size, speed, toughness. Soccer relies on speed and agility, for sure, but it's also about overall fitness and, more than anything else, technical skill.

I think a guy like LeBron could make a good center back, but I don't think he would have the ability to make plays in the close space that's required of midfielders. He could potentially be a striker, but that would be entirely dependent on the skills he developed. It just doesn't work that way.

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Here are some comparisons:

Messi = Johnny Manziel, small with elite body control and creativity

Wayne Rooney = Wes Welker, quick, agile, and tough

Chriatiano Ronaldo = Kobe Bryant

Mario Ballitelli =Dez Bryant

Soccer is a skill and touch game, not just raw athleticism. Smaller guys tend to be better because they have a lower center of gravity, shorter legs to control the ball, and more balance to weave through defenses. Think slot receivers and cornerbacks.

mstatefan91
06-25-2014, 04:31 PM
In terms of freakiness overall, just go look at some Ronaldinho highlights

dickiedawg
06-25-2014, 05:17 PM
I was talking about freak athleticism. I.E., if Rob Gronkowski had grown up playing Futbol instead of Football, who would he be compared to? Calvin Johnson?

I found this list from Bleacher Report published last September and it seems to be along the lines of what I was asking:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1763425-the-10-most-athletic-players-in-world-football/page/11
10. Zlatan Ibrahimovic
9. Clarence Seedorf
8. Marvell Wynne
7. Theo Walcott
6. Erik Lamela
5. Lionel Messi
4. Mario Balotelli
3. Gareth Bale
2. Yaya Toure
1. Cristiano Ronaldo

I also watched this video of Lionel Messi, and he does some things that are no doubt incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33wBpfe_8lc

And it did remind me a little of Johnny Manziel, shotgun.

Dawg61
06-25-2014, 05:42 PM
You're not going to see the huge freakish athlete in soccer as much because it's a fast, quick, endurance sport. They run around 6-8 miles a game I think and a lot of that is sprinting. This gives the agile lighter athlete an advantage because an athlete the size of MegaTron would be totally gassed by halftime because he's carrying so much extra size/muscle/body weight. MegaTron would be fantastic on set pieces for headers but he'd get left in the dust with the precision passing and constant sprinting.

hacker
06-25-2014, 06:01 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo is the only one I can think of that is a "freak athlete" like the OP is talking about. Messi, Rooney, etc are a different type of athlete.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Ibrahimovic is a damn good player too, he's not in the WC though.

He's pretty ridiculous. I was disappointed Sweden didn't qualify for the WC. I was looking forward to watching him

Intramural All-American
06-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Not trying to make this race related, but on a serious note, watch some of the African nations, and you will see some freakish athletes. Asamoah Gyan is very athletic. As others have pointed out, Ronaldo and Ibra are specimens. I would say Balotelli as well. Hulk could probably stick a few people from the CB position.

In regards to US athletes being soccer players, I really think you should look at CBs, RBs, and PGs at those that would be most likely to excel at soccer (midfield and forwards at least.)

There just really aren't many Clowneys and Johnsons and James around the world.

smootness
06-25-2014, 09:24 PM
There just really aren't many Clowneys and Johnsons and James around the world.

And those guys wouldn't make for great soccer players.

Has there ever been a world-class soccer player who was 6'5" 260? Or 6'8" 275?

DudyDawg
06-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Two words. Cristiano Ronaldo. Probably the best athlete to ever play, and I would put him up there with the LeBron's, megatrons. He ran 96 meters in ten seconds (in the second half of a game), reportedly runs a sub 4.40 40, and I've watched videos of him heading a soccer ball taped to the bottom of a field goal post (our football). Meaning, at six foot, putting his head to a ball at a minimum height of 9 feet 4 inches, he has a 40" verticle.

Here's his run
http://youtu.be/4HoXsXs1OPk

scottycameron
06-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Nothing sums up this soccer thing more than one man biting another on the back shoulder. There are a couple ways to go with that but either one sums it up for me.

DudyDawg
06-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Nothing sums up this soccer thing more than one man biting another on the back shoulder. There are a couple ways to go with that but either one sums it up for me.

Thanks for your input, no one give a shit what you do or don't like

LiterallyPolice
06-25-2014, 09:54 PM
In terms of big, athletic guys that also have great skill... Ibrahimovic and Drogba come to mind.

And I know he isn't an elite talent... But I wouldn't want to mix it up wth Jermaine Jones on our squad. Dude looks huge.

ETA: and as many have said, C Ronaldo is prolly the best example.

TheRef
06-25-2014, 09:55 PM
In terms of big, athletic guys that also have great skill... Ibrahimovic and Drogba come to mind.

And I know he isn't an elite talent... But I wouldn't want to mix it up wth Jermaine Jones on our squad. Dude looks huge.

Interesting note about Jones: He lived in Greenwood, Mississippi when he was young for a short while.

LiterallyPolice
06-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Interesting note about Jones: He lived in Greenwood, Mississippi when he was young for a short while.

Haha... Funny you mention that, I just read that today. Also, Johannson (sp?) was born and lived in mobile, AL until age 3.

TheRef
06-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Haha... Funny you mention that, I just read that today. Also, Johannson (sp?) was born and lived in mobile, AL until age 3.

Correct..he is a Mobile product

hacker
06-25-2014, 10:03 PM
Two words. Cristiano Ronaldo. Probably the best athlete to ever play, and I would put him up there with the LeBron's, megatrons. He ran 96 meters in ten seconds (in the second half of a game), reportedly runs a sub 4.40 40, and I've watched videos of him heading a soccer ball taped to the bottom of a field goal post (our football). Meaning, at six foot, putting his head to a ball at a minimum height of 9 feet 4 inches, he has a 40" verticle.

Here's his run
http://youtu.be/4HoXsXs1OPk

That run was amazing. Too bad he ****ing missed!

LiterallyPolice
06-25-2014, 10:08 PM
That run was amazing. Too bad he ****ing missed!

After watching that video, I found this one of CR and Rio Ferdinand showing off some tricks. These guys are unreal.

http://youtu.be/Di7G4nbpyDg

Majors42
06-25-2014, 10:09 PM
Ross barkley for englad, bony for ivory coast, van persie as mentioned. Some of the best athletes on the filed doesnt mean they are the best soccer players. Its not easy to hit volleys and diving headers and aim them into the corner. You have to have some serious skills similar to baseball with "foot-eye"coordination so to speak. Its really hard to compare because some guys are made to be baseball players and some football and some soccer. One thing is for sure, all these cats playing in the world cup are elite athletes

Intramural All-American
06-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Couple more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6a73Onaicg with Neymar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UkrCXzTtnA and the soccer version of Uncle Drew.

hacker
06-25-2014, 10:26 PM
I had no idea freestyle soccer was a thing.

LiterallyPolice
06-25-2014, 10:33 PM
I had no idea freestyle soccer was a thing.

Did you know Clint Dempsey was a rapper?

Yes, I'm serious.

http://youtu.be/Lq_x38awHg4