PDA

View Full Version : Garner Transferring

TheRef
06-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Daniel Garner has been confirmed to be transferring to Shelton State Community College in Tuscaloosa.

CadaverDawg
06-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Wow, the hits keep coming

CadaverDawg
06-25-2014, 02:58 PM
Will James is going to have a bad day

Coach34
06-25-2014, 02:59 PM
I heard this a few days ago. He simply had nowhere to play here. Good move for him

messageboardsuperhero
06-25-2014, 03:03 PM
It doesn't matter how talented a hitter you are- if you can't find a position defensively, you won't play under Cohen. For better or worse, that's just the way it is.

I hate that we couldn't find a spot for him, but best of luck.

Homedawg
06-25-2014, 03:05 PM
He wasn't going to play. Not dh, not 1b and not catcher.

HancockCountyDog
06-25-2014, 03:06 PM
It doesn't matter how talented a hitter you are- if you can't find a position defensively, you won't play under Cohen. For better or worse, that's just the way it is.

I hate that we couldn't find a spot for him, but best of luck.

I just wish we had given him more at bats at DH. I mean, there is one position he could play that doesn't require defense.

I think that confirms that Rea is definitely coming back, which I think is a good thing.

War Machine Dawg
06-25-2014, 03:09 PM
I just wish we had given him more at bats at DH. I mean, there is one position he could play that doesn't require defense.

I think that confirms that Rea is definitely coming back, which I think is a good thing.

Ummmm........there was a question about that? I thought it was damn obvious that Rea would be back. And I'm on the fence with him. Not a great leader and a total head case at the plate last year. As I've said 1000 times, 1B isn't a premium defensive position so spare me the talk about his glove. You put bad defenders with good bats at 1B - Garner would've been a perfect candidate for the move. If Rea doesn't hit, I don't want him playing. Period.

Jacksondevildog
06-25-2014, 03:17 PM
A good first baseman saves you runs every year which add up to wins. This isn't 8 year old rec ball where you put the bad tall kid at 1B.

RossDawg82
06-25-2014, 03:19 PM
A good first baseman saves you runs every year which add up to wins. This isn't 8 year old rec ball where you put the bad tall kid at 1B.

I thought you put them in RF

Jacksondevildog
06-25-2014, 03:21 PM
Some do that too.

The Croom Diaries
06-25-2014, 03:22 PM
I hate to say it but I wish Britton was leaving so Humphreys could play 3B and Garner could DH. I'd just rather have Garner's stick than Britton's glove. Oh well, it was not meant to be.

CadaverDawg
06-25-2014, 03:24 PM

Yep. A year of balls bouncing off Detz's face over there would have some of these Rea haters singing a different tune. The big fella can play some first base. May not be hitting well, but his defense is solid. People that think we could have just stuck Garner over there this year and not missed a beat defensively, have no idea what they're talking about. There's a ton more to 1st base than catching chest high throws (like Detz missed).....short hops, pick offs, bunt coverage, being the cut off, etc. Not saying it's the most difficult position on the field, but it's more than pitch and catch.

Jacksondevildog
06-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Agreed and those same people fail to remember that huge pick that Rea had from Holder in the 9th with 2 outs to beat Indiana in Omaha. Incredibly tough play. Things like that add up. If Rea can hit .270 this year with 6 or 7 bombs, that would be huge. He needs to take a more active approach in leading the team, both on and off the field.

CadaverDawg
06-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Agreed and those same people fail to remember that huge pick that Rea had from Holder in the 9th with 2 outs to beat Indiana in Omaha. Incredibly tough play. Things like that add up. If Rea can hit .270 this year with 6 or 7 bombs, that would be huge. He needs to take a more active approach in leading the team, both on and off the field.

Totally agree with all of this

starkvegasdawg
06-25-2014, 03:32 PM

Guess that's why I played RF in little league.

Steakonastick
06-25-2014, 03:34 PM
If we are going to play Britton at third you can't play somebody who can't hit at first. Have to get better production from our corner infield spots then a .240 batting average.

Tbonewannabe
06-25-2014, 03:36 PM

If you can't play great defense, you won't play for Cohen. The only reason Collins played was because there wasn't anything much better behind him combined with being our best hitter on a really bad hitting team.

To make a run at Omaha, we have to get production out of the 1B spot. Britton coming on at the end of the year was one reason we made a run at a Super. When we had Britton and Rea as automatic outs, we weren't very good.

KB21
06-25-2014, 03:36 PM
I understand everyone liking the potential that Daniel Garner brings as a hitter. The potential power he has is tantilizing. With that said, when you are a big time swing and miss guy, that power adds very little value to you as a player. You can't strike out 41% of the time and expect to get a lot of at bats. Think about it. Wes Rea was a big swing and miss guy this year, and he struck out only 23% of the time. This isn't the minor leagues. You don't stick a player out there who is essentially an automatic out just because you want to develop him as a hitter. In college, you are trying to win games, so when you get an opportunity to play, you have to make the best of it.

mic
06-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Unless we tell Rea to "move on" he will be back. Esp with the new balls they are going to next year..

Saltydog
06-25-2014, 03:41 PM
quality depth.

Jacksondevildog
06-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Agreed on Garner. Huge swing and miss guy. He had potential, but if he saw off speed, it looked like he was sitting in a rocking chair. Anyone can hit fastballs in the SEC. I hate to lose him, but like Tbone said, you have to be able to play defense for Cohen. Britton has 3B locked down for next year and I expect Heck and Holland to handle with middle with Rea at 1B. That's a pretty salty defense on the infield, especially with Collins maturing behind the plate.

Jacksondevildog
06-25-2014, 03:43 PM
There's no doubt that it hurts depth, but Cohen tends to over sign and let the chips fall where they may. We will be fine in the long run.

Homedawg
06-25-2014, 03:43 PM
quality depth.

He didn't have a spot. In other words no scholarship, it was a mutual decision. And I'm being nice.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-25-2014, 03:47 PM
He was going to transfer back during Christmas break when I prematurely said he was, but Cohen talked him into staying. I figured he would be leaving, it was just a matter of time.

Saltydog
06-25-2014, 03:49 PM
nt

Coach34
06-25-2014, 03:55 PM
I hate to say it but I wish Britton was leaving so Humphreys could play 3B and Garner could DH. I'd just rather have Garner's stick than Britton's glove. Oh well, it was not meant to be.

Garner was told in his exit meeting he needed to go elsewhere if he ever wanted to play. Britton and Rea returning really have no effect on Garner.

Homedawg
06-25-2014, 03:58 PM
nt

Backup qb is always better syndrome.

Jacksondevildog
06-25-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm not knocking Garner when I say this, but Garner was an extremely good high school hitter. He was so good of a hitter with plus power that it overshadowed and hid his deficiencies on defense. In high school, the coach doesn't give a shit if you are marginal on defense if you can hit like he could. You are going to play regardless. In high level college baseball, you better be Mark Kotsay if you plan on being bad on defense without a position.

Coach34
06-25-2014, 04:04 PM
If we are going to play Britton at third you can't play somebody who can't hit at first. Have to get better production from our corner infield spots then a .240 batting average.

Britton batted .313 from the Ole Miss series thru the rest of the season. The last half of the season- he was a very good player

CadaverDawg
06-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Britton batted .313 from the Ole Miss series thru the rest of the season. The last half of the season- he was a very good player

I believe there were at least 2 guys that called it, amirite Coach? Any idea who they were?

Coach34
06-25-2014, 04:14 PM
I believe there were at least 2 guys that called it, amirite Coach? Any idea who they were?

absolutely we did. He finally started playing everyday and it paid off. I got to give credit to ol BrianTheDawg from Sixpack. I told he and D@A that Britton was going to be a player for us- and of course they would always tell me how bad he sux. Brian stepped up and admitted he was wrong a few weeks ago.

Todd4State
06-25-2014, 04:18 PM
I wish him well, but the fact of the matter is he struck out way too much and he didn't have a position. At least a guy like Detz could play first and third at an acceptable level and Trey Porter could play first base. Garner not having a position is a HUGE problem for us. For us to get his bat in the lineup at DH meant we couldn't rest someone in the field like a Gavin Collins if we needed to. And I do get why our fans like him because when he actually made contact, he would hit the ball hard. The problem is he barely did so over 50% of the time.

There was an article on MLB.com about the traditional DH dying out of baseball in that a team has a guy like David Ortiz who all he does is hit. Now teams want their DH to be a guy that can play in the field some and be versatile- think Ben Zobrist. The same holds true for college as well. We would rather have a guy like a Detz that we can use at DH/1B/3B or a fourth OF than a guy like Garner who all he does is hit. Especially when he strikes out as much as he did.

Jacksondevildog
06-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Spot on and when you have scholarship limitations, guys with defensive limitations hurt your program.
I wish him well, but the fact of the matter is he struck out way too much and he didn't have a position. At least a guy like Detz could play first and third at an acceptable level and Trey Porter could play first base. Garner not having a position is a HUGE problem for us. For us to get his bat in the lineup at DH meant we couldn't rest someone in the field like a Gavin Collins if we needed to. And I do get why our fans like him because when he actually made contact, he would hit the ball hard. The problem is he barely did so over 50% of the time.

There was an article on MLB.com about the traditional DH dying out of baseball in that a team has a guy like David Ortiz who all he does is hit. Now teams want their DH to be a guy that can play in the field some and be versatile- think Ben Zobrist. The same holds true for college as well. We would rather have a guy like a Detz that we can use at DH/1B/3B or a fourth OF than a guy like Garner who all he does is hit. Especially when he strikes out as much as he did.

Todd4State
06-25-2014, 04:21 PM
nt

Going by the hitting stats from last year- not to mention what Rea gives us defensively- it's a no-brainer that Rea is better. It's not even close.

Rea- ~ 200 AB's, 55 K's

Garner ~ 40 AB's, 20 K's

CadaverDawg
06-25-2014, 04:21 PM
Who will take Garner's place on the WJ "_____ should be playing" team?

Todd4State
06-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Spot on and when you have scholarship limitations, guys with defensive limitations hurt your program.

Yep. And it's why Reid Humphreys will probably DH next year. We can use him to rest Rea or if Britton slumps we can put him at third. Reid can also probably play the OF as well if needed.

Jacksondevildog
06-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Garner leaving means more opportunity for Humphreys, which is a good thing. He's an overall better player with a higher upside for our program. Defensively, we will be fine next year. I hope that some of these juco guys, besides Holland, can make a steady impact. The tea leaves read that Holland should be a very good defensive player. Anyone that starts at FSU at SS as a freshman on an Omaha team is decent in my book.

mstatefan91
06-25-2014, 04:33 PM
Maybe he would have produced next year as a batter but I watched him do drills on first base a couple of times and it was nothing special.

Todd4State
06-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Garner leaving means more opportunity for Humphreys, which is a good thing. He's an overall better player with a higher upside for our program. Defensively, we will be fine next year. I hope that some of these juco guys, besides Holland, can make a steady impact. The tea leaves read that Holland should be a very good defensive player. Anyone that starts at FSU at SS as a freshman on an Omaha team is decent in my book.

I definitely think Holland will be the SS and move Heck to 2B. If Holland disappoints, at least we have Michael Smith who can play 2B and we can leave Heck at SS. If both of them disappoint, we have to rely on Kyle Hann. Which means that Hann will start at second next year with our luck.

Smith and Luke Reynolds can also both play the OF. My hope is that Holland is who we think he is and that we can use Smith in CF if Robson isn't healthy. Reynolds will only be a sophomore and he can play 3B/1B/corner OF. He may be more of a role player next year, but I could see him contributing as a junior and a senior.

Bucky Dog
06-25-2014, 04:42 PM
The C-L mentioned our possible line up for next year this morning. They had Heck moving to second, Britton back to short, where his arm should be and Hump at third. Said that first was basically up for grabs between Rea and Garner if Rea didnt turn things around. And if Rea won the job it would be Garner at DH.

Jacksondevildog
06-25-2014, 04:56 PM
The CL obviously didn't do their homework on Holland. That shouldn't shock anyone.

Homedawg
06-25-2014, 04:56 PM
The C-L mentioned our possible line up for next year this morning. They had Heck moving to second, Britton back to short, where his arm should be and Hump at third. Said that first was basically up for grabs between Rea and Garner if Rea didnt turn things around. And if Rea won the job it would be Garner at DH.

I laughed at that whole article. Clueless.....

Todd4State
06-25-2014, 05:10 PM

Why would we move Britton back to SS when it didn't work TWICE? He's found a home at third base. Not broken, don't fix it. And obviously, Garner vs. Rea isn't going to happen and even if it did Rea is going to win. In fact, Rea will have more of a challenge from Luke Reynolds, Trent Waddell, Dylan Ingram, Brent Rooker, and Cole Gordon than he would have from Garner.

Todd4State
06-25-2014, 05:11 PM
The CL obviously didn't do their homework on Holland. That shouldn't shock anyone.

I read it and it looked to me like he assumed that none of our recruits would start. It was like reading a preview from Athlon.

Madisonmd
06-25-2014, 05:34 PM
FWIW, talked to Hinds CC baseball dad today, says Reynolds is mostly a hitter with a below avg glove for them this year.

Todd4State
06-25-2014, 05:39 PM
FWIW, talked to Hinds CC baseball dad today, says Reynolds is mostly a hitter with a below avg glove for them this year.

He mostly played third base for Hinds, but he is in the same class as Reid Humphreys. I think long term what we will see is Humphreys take over for Britton in 2016 and then Reynolds either play first or the OF. So, while that may have been the case, I'm not too terribly concerned about his glove at this point.

Coach34
06-25-2014, 05:43 PM
for whatever reason- Britton doesnt get it done at SS. But he is a helluva 3rd Sacker. Holland will be the SS, Heck at 2nd, and Rea at 1st

We will have the best defensive infield in the SEC and possibly the entire nation

State82
06-25-2014, 07:39 PM
I laughed at that whole article. Clueless.....

My thought exactly. Terrible. But, why read the CL when you have ED to detail the baseball situation.

Martianlander
06-25-2014, 07:42 PM

So did Babe Ruth in the majors.

MsStateBaseball
06-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Players usually know after 2 years where they stand, will they play, etc. New era. They will force you out if you don't produce. Just like pros.

Tbonewannabe
06-25-2014, 07:51 PM
for whatever reason- Britton doesnt get it done at SS. But he is a helluva 3rd Sacker. Holland will be the SS, Heck at 2nd, and Rea at 1st

We will have the best defensive infield in the SEC and possibly the entire nation

I would argue that Britton is the best defensive 3rd baseman in the SEC but for whatever reason about the 30th SS.

bulldogcountry1
06-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Garner is just Nick Flair II. It's becoming obvious that Cohen just can't afford to keep one dimensional guys, especially if that dimension isn't defense. If you are in the program a couple years and all you have to compete for is a DH spot, then you are dead weight. I doubt we will ever see a full time DH with Cohen, unless we have another Renfroe with arm soreness.

For the most part, Cohen is going to use the DH for the 4th OFer, to rest a catcher, or for the younger guys who aren't ready for everyday.

War Machine Dawg
06-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Garner is just Nick Flair II. It's becoming obvious that Cohen just can't afford to keep one dimensional guys, especially if that dimension isn't defense. If you are in the program a couple years and all you have to compete for is a DH spot, then you are dead weight. I doubt we will ever see a full time DH with Cohen, unless we have another Renfroe with arm soreness.

For the most part, Cohen is going to use the DH for the 4th OFer, to rest a catcher, or for the younger guys who aren't ready for everyday.

And until he stops that bullshit and puts a legit hitter at DH, our offense will suffer. Hoping to consistently win games 2-1 is shitty, shitty baseball to watch.

sbcmortgageman
06-25-2014, 08:23 PM

Also single handedly beat Alabama. Literally.

maroonmania
06-25-2014, 08:34 PM

And please sweet 5 lb. 8 oz. baby Jesus, not the Britton playing SS thing again. He's had 2 different tries there and failed miserably both times. He looks at home at 3rd base, just leave him there.

maroonmania
06-25-2014, 08:40 PM
And until he stops that bullshit and puts a legit hitter at DH, our offense will suffer. Hoping to consistently win games 2-1 is shitty, shitty baseball to watch.

Regardless of his defense, if Garner was a good enough hitter he would be staying and DHing regularly, I have to believe that. If other guys need a rest and your regular DH is a better hitter, they just sit the bench during that game and the regular DH just keeps his spot. Not real complicated. Garner's problem is that while he is dangerous as a hitter when he makes contact, but he doesn't make contact regularly enough.

Percho
06-25-2014, 08:43 PM

Are you saying the truth hurts?

War Machine Dawg
06-25-2014, 08:48 PM
And please sweet 5 lb. 8 oz. baby Jesus, not the Britton playing SS thing again. He's had 2 different tries there and failed miserably both times. He looks at home at 3rd base, just leave him there.

Totally agree on this. There is literally no reason to move Britton from 3B. The kid has found a home there and really settled in at the plate since making the move, too. He's maybe the best defensive 3B in the nation. Why the hell would anyone want to take him off the field at this point? I understand we need Hump's bat, but we just gotta hope he hits so well that he forces Cohen into letting him play 1B/OF or DH full time with some spot duty at 3B to give Britton a midweek blow.

bulldogcountry1
06-25-2014, 09:17 PM

Well, I don't know that we've had that guy available to us lately. Detz was going to be that guy, but he ended up having to play in the field too much due to other reasons. Hopefully, we will have a couple guys next year who can produce from that spot.

I totally agree that it's hard to watch. I attended most home games this season, and 90% of the time, it's either boring or frustrating. It's easier to swallow when you win more than lose, but it's not much fun to experience. You just wait and hope for that one good moment and think about the big picture.

Did I just describe soccer?

Homedawg
06-25-2014, 09:26 PM
Totally agree on this. There is literally no reason to move Britton from 3B. The kid has found a home there and really settled in at the plate since making the move, too. He's maybe the best defensive 3B in the nation. Why the hell would anyone want to take him off the field at this point? I understand we need Hump's bat, but we just gotta hope he hits so well that he forces Cohen into letting him play 1B/OF or DH full time with some spot duty at 3B to give Britton a midweek blow.

Now, we are getting somewhere! He will see some practice time at 1b, 3b and lf. We all know he won't be our 3b next year. But they know we have to have his bat in the middle of the lineup as long as he produces like he is capable. He's a second year player, he will improve and show a glimpse of what he has in store- which is big in my eyes.

Pioneer Dawg
06-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Who will take Garner's place on the WJ "_____ should be playing" team?

Will answer this after the scrimmages

Pioneer Dawg
06-25-2014, 09:42 PM
And until he stops that bullshit and puts a legit hitter at DH, our offense will suffer.

We are in complete agreement.

Pioneer Dawg
06-25-2014, 09:44 PM
This transfer is horrible news. Can't help future big-time hitter recruiting seeing Flair and Garner on the way out.

engie
06-25-2014, 09:56 PM
This transfer is horrible news. Can't help future big-time hitter recruiting seeing Flair and Garner on the way out.

Could see this response coming from a mile away...

RougeDawg
06-25-2014, 10:07 PM
We are in complete agreement.

Yep, we continue to field a lineup that doesn't even have warning track power, but hey they can play defense. I just find it odd that we can't seem to locate any players that can swing it, along with play defense well. How do other teams do it every year? Or MAYBE, just maybe they teach those guys with great defense the mechanics to become more powerful hitters. Hmm, there a thought. Either way it's difficult to observe our offensive strategy and execution. It's similar to watching paint dry.

engie
06-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Yep, we continue to field a lineup that doesn't even have warning track power, but hey they can play defense. I just find it odd that we can't seem to locate any players that can swing it, along with play defense well. How do other teams do it every year? Or MAYBE, just maybe they teach those guys with great defense the mechanics to become more powerful hitters. Hmm, there a thought. Either way it's difficult to observe our offensive strategy and execution. It's similar to watching paint dry.

What we really need is an .894 fielding 3B that can hit us 7-10 dingers... We'd be set then...

Homedawg
06-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Yep, agree, in the last 4 years we've been to a super reg, 2 regionals a and a college World Series final. Our program sucks*** hire stansbury!!!

preachermatt83
06-25-2014, 10:32 PM
this sucks. No matter how you look at it he is one of the only players we had that had any power and now he's gone. next year will be a repeat of this year, nothing but singles hitters.

Homedawg
06-25-2014, 10:40 PM
this sucks. No matter how you look at it he is one of the only players we had that had any power and now he's gone. next year will be a repeat of this year, nothing but singles hitters.

Yep it will suck we don't have to watch him punch out. I love strikeouts.

maroonmania
06-25-2014, 10:44 PM
Yep it will suck we don't have to watch him punch out. I love strikeouts.

Don't fret, Rea will still be back.

Coach34
06-25-2014, 10:47 PM

Collins, Rea, Britton, Humphries, Swinarski, and Cody Brown approve of this post

Homedawg
06-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Don't fret, Rea will still be back.

Yep he will. And he can at least defend at a high rate- proven. Garner and his ability to hit at this level is a myth

Todd4State
06-25-2014, 10:57 PM
What we really need is an .894 fielding 3B that can hit us 7-10 dingers... We'd be set then...

That sounds a lot like Polk's last team. We saw how that turned out. How quickly some of our fans forget.

Todd4State
06-25-2014, 10:59 PM

I'll bet you one collection plate given to my church in vcash that we hit more home runs than last we did last year.

Todd4State
06-25-2014, 11:01 PM

Big time hitter Flair went undrafted this year out of JUCO. Garner will suffer the same fate unless he figures out a way to make contact.

Homedawg
06-25-2014, 11:08 PM
Big time hitter Flair went undrafted this year out of JUCO. Garner will suffer the same fate unless he figures out a way to make contact.

Maybe he will bookmark this- but I doubt it. His page of bookmarked pages is full of shit he got wrong.

Pioneer Dawg
06-25-2014, 11:27 PM
Maybe he will bookmark this- but I doubt it. His page of bookmarked pages is full of shit he got wrong.

Like Bobby Wahl?

Homedawg
06-25-2014, 11:38 PM
Like Bobby Wahl?

Didn't say u missed that one, who didn't. Chris Ellis sucks too. Great we will both get that one right too. And I didn't need any sabermetrics bs to tell me they won't be big league pitchers....all the while we screwed Daniel garner...

Todd4State
06-25-2014, 11:43 PM
Like Bobby Wahl?

What do I get for predicting that their other 10 or so would break down?

Predicting a guy that pitches for Ole Miss will break down is almost like predicting the sky will be blue.

Dawg61
06-25-2014, 11:47 PM
What are Garner's stats in summer ball since he hit 3 HR in 3 games? Must be crickets since then cause we haven't heard anything.

Homedawg
06-25-2014, 11:57 PM
What are Garner's stats in summer ball since he hit 3 HR in 3 games? Must be crickets since then cause we haven't heard anything.

He's hitting .216 in 51 ab's 4 hr and 11k's in a league that doesn't sniff sec pitching.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 12:32 AM

From LSU Game thread April 4th

Huge Britton fan here I think he's about to break out at the dish

Why did I say this?

From March 30th

Britton will be fine hitting 9th.

His BABIP is .192. I know "some people don't care about Babip's and whips" but it is a real thing with real implications.

Britton stays in the lineup no question about it.

Ahead of the curve.. Again.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 12:42 AM

Still leading his league in HR and K'ing at his normal rate.. Which is equal to Cody Browns rate.

engie
06-26-2014, 08:41 AM
Still leading his league in HR and K'ing at his normal rate.. Which is equal to Cody Browns rate.

Cody Brown also can play 3 positions at a high level for us, and is a plus runner, with plus baserunning instincts. This = value.

In 5 games catching, Garner has fewer assists than errors this summer. Where do you play him? He's not elite enough to be an everyday DH right now.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 09:36 AM
He's not elite enough to be an everyday DH right now.

He's our best option here so I don't know what u mean. He could also play 1st. Doesn't matter now though because he was run off. U think we could have used Flair in the DH role this year?

engie
06-26-2014, 10:16 AM
He's our best option here so I don't know what u mean. He could also play 1st. Doesn't matter now though because he was run off. U think we could have used Flair in the DH role this year?

Sure we could have used Flair. Some players aren't satisfied with being career matchup DHs though. And unless they are nationally elite hitters, they have virtually no shot of pro ball from out of that role. Garner is not a nationally elite hitter. Where did Flair's .894 fielding percentage and "elite" bat manage to get him drafted this year? Surely, he went high, right?

Garner is not and was not in any way a better option than Humphreys. You can keep saying it -- but it doesn't make it any nearer the truth -- and I'm not convinced he's a better option than Ingram/Rooker/Swinarski either.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Sure we could have used Flair. Some players aren't satisfied with being career matchup DHs though. And unless they are nationally elite hitters, they have virtually no shot of pro ball. Where did Flair's .894 fielding percentage and "elite" bat manage to get him drafted this year?

Garner is not and was not in any way a better option than Humphreys. You can keep saying it -- but it doesn't make it any nearer the truth.

Where did I say Garner is better than Hump? There you go again.

Sikes Orvis didn't get drafted either. IDGAF that he didn't get drafted and we didn't need Flair's glove. We needed a good college hitter that had power in our DH role.

engie
06-26-2014, 11:19 AM
Only one of them can DH for us next year. If you think it should be Garner, as can be assumed by many of your comments wanting to get a guy with no position ABs, then it can be easily assumed that you are arguing that he's better than Hump...

Sikes Orvis didn't get drafted either. IDGAF that he didn't get drafted and we didn't need Flair's glove. We needed a good college hitter that had power in our DH role.
What part of Flair being UNHAPPY IN THAT ROLE are you misunderstanding? We didn't run him off or push him out -- He left because he thinks he's a 3B. And he proved it this year in JUCO**

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Only one of them can DH for us next year. If you think it should be Garner, as can be assumed by many of your comments wanting to get a guy with no position ABs, then it can be easily assumed that you are arguing that he's better than Hump...

You REALLY need to get a hold of your assumptions. Very often recently they have been ridiculously off and instead of actually listening to the person you keep up your assumption.

I think Hump can play RF or 1B. I think Garner can play 1B. Both can be in the lineup. Unless you can use the quote feature and respond SPECIFICALLY to that quote I suggest you not respond.

Homedawg
06-26-2014, 12:01 PM
The point is moot he's not here because he wasn't going to play. Good luck to him.

engie
06-26-2014, 12:17 PM
You REALLY need to get a hold of your assumptions. Very often recently they have been ridiculously off and instead of actually listening to the person you keep up your assumption.
Ahhh -- yeah -- it's much better to make ASSUMPTIONS that we are going to offset 5th yr seniors from the positions they've held basically exclusively for 3 years -- or make outfielders out of guys that came here as infielders. That happens all the time under Cohen**

It's much more logical to make assumptions based on "Pioneer dawg lala land roles" instead of players' actual roles on the team and their expected roles going forward. I still can't believe our dumbass coach isn't playing Trey Porter**

I think Hump can play RF or 1B. I think Garner can play 1B. Both can be in the lineup. Unless you can use the quote feature and respond SPECIFICALLY to that quote I suggest you not respond.
Nobody is saying they "can't". People are saying that they WON'T. But we already know you know more about baseball than John Cohen -- so I don't know why I bother...

But, yeah, we're SCREWED in recruiting because 2 hitters(one of which k's at a Wes Rea rate) that have no position left!!1!1

I seen it dawg
06-26-2014, 03:00 PM

You said he was our best option here....wouldn't that include Hump?

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 04:40 PM
You said he was our best option here....wouldn't that include Hump?

Some of you are so desperate to try to "prove me wrong" you end up going full retard. With Hump in the field, he cannot DH, so it wouldn't include Hump.

engie
06-26-2014, 04:50 PM
Some of you are so desperate to try to "prove me wrong" you end up going full retard. With Hump in the field, he cannot DH, so it wouldn't include Hump.

He's not likely to be in the field this year. You are the only one on the board that can't see this.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 05:11 PM
He's not likely to be in the field this year. You are the only one on the board that can't see this.

Not much about a future baseball season is certain in June, especially not with that level of smugness.

RAYn_Man
06-26-2014, 05:42 PM
Humphries can't play right field. There, I said it.

engie
06-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Not much about a future baseball season is certain in June, especially not with that level of smugness.

How many guys have changed from infield to outfield or viceversa in between seasons in Cohen's entire tenure? How many have knocked off 5th yr seniors in a position battle? There's my reference-point. Your argument is championing something that has never happened under this regime.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Humphries can't play right field. There, I said it.

That's just incorrect.

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 06:28 PM

Just because Billy Beane stuck Scott Hatteberg at first base and it worked- never mind the fact that he had the entire offseason and had months where he worked hours with MLB intructors working with him on how to play the position at an acceptable level, which you don't have in college- it doesn't mean you can just stick nine guys out there and put them in some random spot on the field and it's going to work.

At least I hope that is your disconnect here.

Engie is taking you to school.

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 06:31 PM

So, where is Humphreys going to play? You really think Cohen is going to bench Britton? And even less so with how he finished the season and with how he can play defense. Rea? Maybe. If he struggles.

Cody Brown? No. Vickerson? No.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-26-2014, 06:43 PM
That's just incorrect.
While I agree with you that he can play RF. I'm afraid Cohen disagrees with us due to his lack of speed.

I seen it dawg
06-26-2014, 06:51 PM

There is no desperation. You handle it all by yourself when you post.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 06:52 PM
How many guys have changed from infield to outfield or viceversa in between seasons in Cohen's entire tenure? How many have knocked off 5th yr seniors in a position battle? There's my reference-point. Your argument is championing something that has never happened under this regime.

Ryan Collins went from OF to 1B.

Nick Vickerson played quite a few games in LF if I remember correctly.

Demarcus Henderson went from IF to OF.

Obviously you aren't going to have tons of shifts like this but to act like it NEVER happens is ignorant. If Ryan Collins and Alex Detz can be put at 1B please don't try to tell me that Daniel Garner would have been crazy.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 06:54 PM
So, where is Humphreys going to play? You really think Cohen is going to bench Britton? And even less so with how he finished the season and with how he can play defense. Rea? Maybe. If he struggles.

Cody Brown? No. Vickerson? No.

Is it that hard for you dunces? Again with the retarded assumptions JUST LIKE ENGINE.. Who said anything about benching Britton

Britton plays 3rd.. Hump can play OF or 1B.. Garner could have played 1B (not anymore since he's gone).. We have an open DH spot. They all could play, even Rea if we had gone Rea-1B, Hump-RF, Garner-DH

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 06:55 PM
While I agree with you that he can play RF. I'm afraid Cohen disagrees with us due to his lack of speed.

I don't if he does or not, but if it were me and given our roster we have several guys that are capable of playing the OF and knowing that Britton is going to leave, I'd rather have Humphreys spend the year working on third base for 2016 rather than have to learn a new position and then switch back.

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Ryan Collins went from OF to 1B.

Nick Vickerson played quite a few games in LF if I remember correctly.

Demarcus Henderson went from IF to OF.

Obviously you aren't going to have tons of shifts like this but to act like it NEVER happens is ignorant. If Ryan Collins and Alex Detz can be put at 1B please don't try to tell me that Daniel Garner would have been crazy.

OK- so you pulled two guys out from the dumpster fire of 2010 where we were desperately trying any and everything to put a functional defense on the field and a guy that played SS in high school. Awesome.

And there you go with your anyone can play first meme again. Collins and Detz were better than Garner at first.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 07:01 PM
From May 20th

We'll find a spot for Humphreys- the only question is RF/1B/DH?

If Vallot comes, Garner will be our top pinch hitter next year and then will start as a junior at first base.

Sounds like Todd thinks Hump can play OF and 1B.. and ALSO that Garner can play 1B… But lets forget that because you want to ride Engines nuts

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 07:03 PM
From May 11th

If Wes Rea comes back, I expect us to move Humphreys to RF.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 07:06 PM
From May 20th

Daniel Garner has been practicing at first base for while. If Rea leaves, he would be one of the front runners for the position.

But I thought he couldn't do it.. I thought you couldn't just stick him there.

You are so full of shit Todd

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 07:08 PM
From April 23rd

C- Collins for sure, and hope the draft is kind to us with Vallot. If we get both, one should be the DH.
1B- If Rea gets hot like I think he might, he will go. Reid might start here because we know Cohen loves Britton.
2B- I think we move Heck here. If Holland can play SS at Florida State, he should be good enough to play SS for us.
3B- Britton. He has started to hit lately. If he struggles, I hope we move Humphreys here and then start Garner at first.
SS- Holland
LF- Vickerson. Hopefully his career arc is like his brothers
CF- Robson. Call me crazy, but if he can recover from his elbow injury he is out best option defensively in the outfield.
RF- Cody Brown. Good things happen when he plays.
DH- Garner if we don't get Vallot.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 07:12 PM
From April 20th

I think our lineup will be better.

C- Collins should be even better than he is now. He's our leading hitter in SEC play coming into this weekend.
1B- Rea will be a fifth year senior. If he still can't hit, we have Garner, Rooker, and Cole Gordon.
2B- Heck at probably a more natural position for him.
3B- Britton will be a senior and Humphreys will be even better and can play here is Britton still can't hit.
SS- Holland was good enough to start for a Florida State team that went to Omaha. Essentially will replace Pirtle.
LF- Vickerson will be a senior.
CF- Cody Brown will be a redshirt sophomore and should be better.
RF- Humphreys unless he starts at third. If he has to move, then it might be Rooker, Swinarski, or Cole Gordon. I'm pretty sure Demarcus could get a medical redshirt, so he could be back.
DH- Garner will be better.

From April 14th after myself, Cadaver, and Coach34 said Britton was about to break out

But can Britton do it in an actual game? There are plenty of people that can put on a show in batting practice- but that's of zero value if he can't do it in game.

From April 6th

That said- how about have Collins catch and Garner play first? That way we can get Detz, Collins, Garner all in the lineup.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 07:13 PM
March 30th

If it were me, I'd move Garner to first or go with one of the freshmen like Cole Gordon or Rooker. With CT, Armstrong, and possibly Demarcus leaving- I'd move Humphreys to the OF for at least a year.

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Is it that hard for you dunces? Again with the retarded assumptions JUST LIKE ENGINE.. Who said anything about benching Britton

Britton plays 3rd.. Hump can play OF or 1B.. Garner could have played 1B (not anymore since he's gone).. We have an open DH spot. They all could play, even Rea if we had gone Rea-1B, Hump-RF, Garner-DH

So, it's now retarded to assume that we have nine hitters in the lineup? That's why we're making "assumptions". Because we understand the fundamental fact that that you can only have that many players in the lineup.

Don't talk to anyone about assumptions when you are assuming that Garner could have played first base when you have seen him play there about as many times as you have seen a live T-Rex come into your backyard. Any and every report I had ever heard about Garner at first base usually included the word "horrible". When I hear that from MULTIPLE people that I trust- odds are it was bad. And yes, worse than Ryan Collins and Detz.

What you are suggesting would have severely weakened our team defensively to the point where it wouldn't have been worth the 5-10 home runs that Garner might have hit all the while striking out 50-60 times. Especially when we can easily get that type of production from Wes Rea without the horrible defense.

What you are also suggesting is sitting either Cody Brown, Vickerson, Robson, or Michael Smith- which means weakening our OF defense.

So, then it comes down to Reid vs. Garner for the DH spot. Reid had a better year, had some key hits in SEC play, and can adequately play third or first if needed, and also has more speed without losing very much if any power- and possibly having even more than Garner. So, we're having this discussion because somehow in your head you think sabermetrics is telling you that Garner is going to be something that he isn't. I guess. Excuse for making assumptions when you aren't making any logical sense whatsoever.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 07:15 PM
So.. 6 times that I found of Todd advocating Garner to 1st base, over the course of 3 whole months. But now I am crazy Billi Beane for thinking he could have done it. Remember, Todd is full of shit and seeks to pump his "reputation" as the baseball insider over having a real opinion

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 07:17 PM
Don't talk to anyone about assumptions when you are assuming that Garner could have played first base when you have seen him play there about as many times as you have seen a live T-Rex come into your backyard. Any and every report I had ever heard about Garner at first base usually included the word "horrible".

So why did you want to see it at least 6 times from March 30th thru May 20th?

I seen it dawg
06-26-2014, 07:17 PM
So.. 6 times that I found of Todd advocating Garner to 1st base, over the course of 3 whole months. But now I am crazy Billi Beane for thinking he could have done it. Remember, Todd is full of shit and seeks to pump his "reputation" as the baseball insider over having a real opinion

He just knows an infinite amount more baseball than you do serf.

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 07:24 PM
So, was I lying when I said Garner was practicing at first base? Is THAT what you are trying to call me out on? Really? I'm "full of shit" for saying that. You might want to check the roster from last season moron.

I was talking about what was going on with the team at the PRESENT TIME given the current roster of players at that time.

And then you are going to call me out for saying that Britton has to perform to stay in the lineup? Really?

Yes, I'm so "full of shit" that the coaches tried both Garner and Humphreys out in practice at first base and the OF respectively and then only made moves when they saw that they weren't going to work out.

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 07:26 PM
So why did you want to see it at least 6 times from March 30th thru May 20th?

Want to see it? I said he was PRACTICING at first base and was a POTENTIAL candidate for the first base job. That's hardly begging for him to play first base.

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 07:27 PM

Coming from the guy who starts threads about how awesome his predictions are. But yes, I'm "pumping up" my reputation.

You know how I "pump" up my reputation? By not being a dumbass. Something you need to learn.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 07:30 PM
I was talking about what was going on with the team at the PRESENT TIME given the current roster of players at that time.

100% Bullshit.

1. "If it were me, I'd move Garner to first or go with one of the freshmen like Cole Gordon or Rooker. With CT, Armstrong, and possibly Demarcus leaving- I'd move Humphreys to the OF for at least a year."

2. "1B- Rea will be a fifth year senior. If he still can't hit, we have Garner, Rooker, and Cole Gordon"

3. "Daniel Garner has been practicing at first base for while. If Rea leaves, he would be one of the front runners for the position"

Those are ALL talking about going forward next year. Just admit you wanted to try to keep "credibility" by agreeing with Engine and going "against" me and got caught.

engie
06-26-2014, 07:30 PM
LOL @ the straws being grasp at now.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 07:33 PM
LOL @ the straws being grasp at now.

Todds pretty pathetic with this isnt he

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 07:59 PM
100% Bullshit.

1. "If it were me, I'd move Garner to first or go with one of the freshmen like Cole Gordon or Rooker. With CT, Armstrong, and possibly Demarcus leaving- I'd move Humphreys to the OF for at least a year."

2. "1B- Rea will be a fifth year senior. If he still can't hit, we have Garner, Rooker, and Cole Gordon"

3. "Daniel Garner has been practicing at first base for while. If Rea leaves, he would be one of the front runners for the position"

Those are ALL talking about going forward next year. Just admit you wanted to try to keep "credibility" by agreeing with Engine and going "against" me and got caught.

1. Did Garner not get moved to first base?

2. So, you disagree that if Garner had stayed he would have been a candidate for first base? Oh yeah- I guess you are going to disregard the comments about Cole Gordon and Rooker too. Guess who is going to be competing against Rea next year?

3. Was Garner not practicing at first base?

So, our coaches MOVED Garner and Humphreys like I suggested that we would do and I WAS RIGHT- YET somehow I was wrong because even though we made the moves that I said we would do, we decided to nix them when we saw that there were better options?

See the DIFFERENCE here is I understand that while something might be tried, I'm OK with not doing it if it doesn't work out. YOU on the other hand only want to do one thing and you want to keep doing it even if it is CLEAR that it is not going to work out. Even if that guy is striking out HALF OF THE TIME. But no- it's going to work out because Pioneer Dawg said it is. THANK GOD our coaches don't agree with you.

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Todds pretty pathetic with this isnt he

He wasn't talking about me you dumbass.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 08:11 PM
You were saying it as late as May 20th Todd.. Everyone can see your agenda here

bulldogcountry1
06-26-2014, 08:24 PM
I'm glad I'm always right so posters don't have to go through all those old threads to see if I was wrong.

CadaverDawg
06-26-2014, 08:36 PM
This thread will never end bc the ones arguing are "never wrong" and have to have the last word. Ha, it's entertaining though

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 08:45 PM
You were saying it as late as May 20th Todd.. Everyone can see your agenda here

What's my agenda Pioneer? And you better make this good.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 08:54 PM
This thread will never end bc the ones arguing are "never wrong" and have to have the last word. Ha, it's entertaining though

I can't believe I was left out of the Britton Breakout Brigade

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 09:02 PM

What's my agenda Pioneer?

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 09:04 PM
What's my agenda Pioneer? And you better make this good.

Same as always. Just undeniably proven with nearly two whole months worth of quotes on subject. Whichever way the winds are blowing.

Dawg61
06-26-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm glad I'm always right so posters don't have to go through all those old threads to see if I was wrong.

Lol best post in this thread

Homedawg
06-26-2014, 09:14 PM
What's my agenda Pioneer?

Once will James always will James. Now back to the action.

State82
06-26-2014, 09:24 PM
I need a drink after all this. Oh wait, never mind. I have one. Its just not strong enough.

Pioneer Dawg
06-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Once will James always will James. Now back to the action.

Still living rent free in your head.

Hopefully now Ingram can win the 1B job allowing Hump to man RF.

Todd4State
06-26-2014, 10:04 PM
Same as always. Just undeniably proven with nearly two whole months worth of quotes on subject. Whichever way the winds are blowing.

WTF? Why don't you actually ANSWER the question. I know which way your winds are blowing- up everyone's ass.

My "agenda" was to talk about what next season MIGHT look like based on who was on the roster at that current time. Transfers are always going to happen and are a way of life in college baseball and college sports. And as of May 20th, Daniel Garner was on the roster.

Also, there are transfers that are going to come in as we have seen this year- and that is going to change the team outlook as well. That should be understood anytime I make a thread such as that.

And that's what makes your accusations so incredibly laughable and petty. You want to be the Internet badass, but you aren't even badass enough to give me a straight answer. I call you out because you want to start a guy that is striking out literally HALF of the time because you think that somehow he is going to stop striking out at some point. And on top of that, he doesn't have a position.

So, your retort is that I was "wrong" because to you Garner being "in the mix/contending for a spot" somehow in your twisted world (or should I say grasping at straws) = "Todd4State wants Daniel Garner to play first base". And not only that, you tried to call me out for saying that if Matthew Britton wanted to play, he needed to start hitting. And again, Reid Humphreys did practice playing the outfield- which is another thing that you tried to call me out on. NOTHING that you tried to call me out on was wrong in any way, shape, or form- except the distorted way that you lamely attempted to make it sound.

In the meantime, you're bragging about predicting that a guy for Ole Miss would break down, trying to jump on a bandwagon that Coach34 started LONG before you ever thought about it and then wonder why YOU aren't getting credit, and saying that you predicted Ross would regress after his ERA was well under 2 for much of his sophomore year. All the while missing the boat completely on CT Bradford this year and Alex Detz this year.

Gee, I wonder why people think you are a complete moron. What are you going to predict next? That the baseballs next year are going to be white? Advocate starting someone who is hitting .130 because he looked awesome in the fall and had a high BABIP? Try to call me out next year on an outlook thread because a guy transfers out and is no longer on the team?

Your girlfriend on Catfish is embarrassed right now.

I'll tell you what though- I'll make a bold prediction. You'll keep us updated on how Daniel Garner is tearing up JUCO ball all the while failing to equate JUCO ball to SEC ball. Because that's what you do- YOU FAIL.

Homedawg
06-26-2014, 10:33 PM
Still living rent free in your head.

Hopefully now Ingram can win the 1B job allowing Hump to man RF.

Clearly. Since u spent hours looking up old things I said. And failed miserably. It obvious w that you are in my head.***Comical. Good try though slap.

CadaverDawg
06-27-2014, 08:42 AM

My bad. But Coach and I have been saying it for 2 years.

[bumped so the fun can proceed]