PDA

View Full Version : Artimas Samuel no longer with team

jumbo
06-25-2014, 02:25 PM
just saw this tweeted out. wonder if this means we feel good about Pierce?

Rick Danko
06-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Well that sucks, really liked what I saw from him last year.

Big4Dawg
06-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Probably more to do with loaded position. We have a lot of bodies there. Johnson, Bill, Walley, Hammond, plus Hutcherson

FISHDAWG
06-25-2014, 02:30 PM
deleted

Westdawg
06-25-2014, 02:32 PM
it has to be more than just simply being loaded at the position. It is the end of june semester. sounds like something happened - grades or other - that caused this.....but i have been wrong before.

mic
06-25-2014, 02:32 PM
Wish him well.. We are VERY deep at TE so this won't be a big deal

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2014, 02:33 PM
just saw this tweeted out. wonder if this means we feel good about Pierce?

Very good point about Pierce. I had forgotten about that.

FISHDAWG
no way - he was the heir apparent in my book .... the guy was a playah

RadtechBulldog
We seem to be pretty deep at the position but I liked his potential.

Political Hack
06-25-2014, 02:34 PM
will be missed. huge bodied guy that brings something different to the position. Power package could've used him.

hailmari
He was my favorite out of the group. Powerful and mobile blocker with good hands.. That's something that can be utilized like crazy.

ShotgunDawg

I disagree. I like him, but don't think he would have played much. Hutcherson and Pierce are more talented and Malcolm is more talented and returning. This ain't Little League boys. Everyone doesn't get to play.

CadaverDawg
06-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Hate this news. Really thought he was going to be a stud

Coach34
06-25-2014, 02:38 PM
This hurts. While we are indeed very deep at TE- Samuel could play

RadtechBulldog
06-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Dak's touchdown pass to him against Rice is the one highlight that stands out. Great route and catch but might be best pass I saw last season

FISHDAWG
06-25-2014, 02:44 PM
how can you say they are better when they haven't played a single play yet ? ..... I have rewatched last yrs games probably more than most folks here because I don't watch network TV .... the guy was a better recvr than M Johnson hands down - and faster

justwin
06-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Dang! That stinks.

What can we realistically expect from Hutcherson? I know he's tall, but it's not like he has much experience catching the ball in HS or Juco. Is he going to be a blocker exclusively? Should we expect the common juco transition of little production in year 1?

I still think Walley is the heir apparent...taller than MoJo, better hands than anyone except Samuel, and probably the fastest. Really need him to be fully healthy this year.

One more question - what kind of season will it take for MoJo to get drafted? I'm thinking 40 catches and 8+ tds. Really need this senior to step up.

deltadawg99
06-25-2014, 02:50 PM
What's the story with him no longer on the team?

I really liked him and was hoping to see more from him this year. He was a different type of tight end and by all accounts had really good hands.

Homedawg
06-25-2014, 02:52 PM
His grades were bad at Christmas. I assume that was the cause. But I haven't confirmed it.

Pollodawg
06-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Is he from the same highschool that Jawon and Khane Pass attend? I wonder if this will hurt us with them if he does some neg recruiting.

MSUDawg4Life
06-25-2014, 03:01 PM

Agreed. I thought Samuel was the second best tight end on the team and was slotted to take over once Malcolm Johnson left. Hate to see the young man go, but I wish him well in his future endeavors.

War Machine Dawg
06-25-2014, 03:05 PM
This hurts. While we are indeed very deep at TE- Samuel could play

+1

I was expecting a big year from him. He was a more traditional TE as opposed to the hybrid TE. Very good blocker with good hands.

MetEdDawg
06-25-2014, 03:08 PM
If the team, meaning players and staff were involved in this, then I'm cool with it regardless of how much potential he had. I trust our players and staff 100% in matters like this. Do what's best for the team in every situation and it sounds like they needed to do something.

PJ has apparently said this is not a depth issue. So there is something else to this story that made this something that needed to be done.

smootness
06-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Is he from the same highschool that Jawon and Khane Pass attend? I wonder if this will hurt us with them if he does some neg recruiting.

I don't know why he would do any negative recruiting if this is about grades. I would assume he enjoyed his time at State, so I would think we're fine.

This stinks, I definitely thought he had a bright future here. That said, I think those claiming he was a better receiver than Malcolm Johnson are nuts. He was the total package, though, and seemed to be a very good blocker who could also get open and catch passes.

It won't hurt too badly this year, but we do need someone, a la Gus Walley, to step up down the line.

We continue to go after TEs (Farrod Green, Justin Johnson), so I'm not too worried about it.

I don't think this has anything to do with Pierce, though. I think he's a DE eventually.

War Machine Dawg
06-25-2014, 03:11 PM
If the team, meaning players and staff were involved in this, then I'm cool with it regardless of how much potential he had. I trust our players and staff 100% in matters like this. Do what's best for the team in every situation and it sounds like they needed to do something.

PJ has apparently said this is not a depth issue. So there is something else to this story that made this something that needed to be done.

If it's not depth then it's probably grades. And if that's the case, I'm ok with it. Seriously, how hard is it to just show up to class? Hell, most professors will pass football players just for showing up every day.

thf24
06-25-2014, 03:15 PM
One more question - what kind of season will it take for MoJo to get drafted? I'm thinking 40 catches and 8+ tds. Really need this senior to step up.

I doubt he's got a shot at the NFL. Just not enough size to be an NFL TE, even for a hybrid.

BullDog
06-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Artis had the best hands on the team regardless of position. The real, potential, hurt is he went to Carver.

Political Hack
06-25-2014, 03:22 PM
I doubt he's got a shot at the NFL. Just not enough size to be an NFL TE, even for a hybrid.

if he becomes a special teams warrior he'd have a shot as FA, but I tend to agree with you.

FISHDAWG
06-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Cherrington made the Sea Hawks practice squad - anythings possible

Tbonewannabe
06-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Isn't his younger brother a big recruit? He seemed to have really soft hands. He caught the ball better than most of our receivers.

mic
06-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Everyone forgets about Brandon Hill.. very solid backup.
Hutch should in and fill AS role just fine. Bigger faster target too...

Ifyouonlyknew
06-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Artis had the best hands on the team regardless of position. The real, potential, hurt is he went to Carver.

Artimas has been gone since the end of the spring semester so if he is tight with Pass's they've known for a while. Also Pass is still expected to commit at Big Dawg so it isn't hurting us there.

trob115
06-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Rumblings are that he was going to be ineligible due to grades fwiw. I hate he left. Was a mismatch for sure.

bobcat91
06-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Grades may be part of it but he is running from paying child support in two states. That is a fact.

mic
06-25-2014, 04:12 PM

Best hands on the team ??? Easy now .. Yes he made a great catch in liberty bowl game but
He had 4 catches all last year ..
We have plenty of soild guys at TE..

Coach34
06-25-2014, 04:18 PM
Grades may be part of it but he is running from paying child support in two states. That is a fact.

If you dont have a job- you dont have to paychild support. Staying in school would have been his best option

missouridawg
06-25-2014, 04:21 PM
Feel free to delete this post if you guys want... but I have to wonder if this departure has anything to do with his brother (half brother or whatever) Mekhi Brown. I wonder if we played Samuel last year and gave him the touches as enticement for him to come to MSU and we've come to the conclusion that Mekhi wasn't coming here at all... and we need the roster spot, since we're loaded at TE.

Just thinking outloud... and I definitely understand if this is deleted.

CadaverDawg
06-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Feel free to delete this post if you guys want... but I have to wonder if this departure has anything to do with his brother (half brother or whatever) Mekhi Brown. I wonder if we played Samuel last year and gave him the touches as enticement for him to come to MSU and we've come to the conclusion that Mekhi wasn't coming here at all... and we need the roster spot, since we're loaded at TE.

If he sucked, MAYBE....but he didn't, so I highly highly doubt it.

missouridawg
06-25-2014, 04:25 PM
If he sucked, MAYBE....but he didn't, so I highly highly doubt it.

I think it's debateable on if he sucked or not. He caught 4 passes and we probably only threw to him 4 total times (just a guess on my part). That's a small enough sample size to hide any deficiencies....

However, I will agree with your point, in that it appears that he was talented enough to be here and contribute.

MSUDawg4Life
06-25-2014, 04:37 PM

Doubt it.

hacker
06-25-2014, 05:21 PM
I think it's debateable on if he sucked or not. He caught 4 passes and we probably only threw to him 4 total times (just a guess on my part). That's a small enough sample size to hide any deficiencies....

However, I will agree with your point, in that it appears that he was talented enough to be here and contribute.

He made some clutch-ass plays in limited time last year. If the rest of our team contributed with the same ratio, I would be very happy.

BullDog
06-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Best hands on the team ??? Easy now .. Yes he made a great catch in liberty bowl game but
He had 4 catches all last year ..
We have plenty of soild guys at TE..

Easy now, I've been following him for 4 years. I'm a GA res. and his hand eye coordination is very very very good. He came out as a 2 star and I thought he was the biggest theft in the SEC.

BullDog
06-25-2014, 06:00 PM

Yes delete this quote

Coach34
06-25-2014, 06:11 PM
too many conspiracy theories here- he just didnt make grades or maybe he liked him some drugs- but he damn sure didnt get cut because of talent. He was going to be a helluva player

Bothrops
06-25-2014, 06:44 PM
Definitely a lost talent. But I think if Walley can maintain his health, he will push MJ for TE receptions this year.

Coach34
06-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Definitely a lost talent. But I think if Walley can maintain his health, he will push MJ for TE receptions this year.

No

MoJo
Hill
Hutch

Those 3 guys will get 90% of the snaps at TE and are a top 6 group in the SEC. Walley will play some and have to battle each week to get snaps