PDA

View Full Version : Short & Simple Recuiting Article on MSU

bulldogsmsu
06-25-2014, 12:21 PM
What we already know, just thought I would share.

http://247sports.com/Article/Class-of-2015-football-recruiting-surprises-in-team-rankings-29323519

bulldogsmsu
06-25-2014, 12:27 PM
If Peters committed today we would jump from #12 to #8.

CadaverDawg
06-25-2014, 12:30 PM
Good stuff, thanks for linking

DudyDawg
06-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Class is starting to look really good. Obviously it's early, but it's a very good start. And with the recent success of the guys who weren't highly touted coming in, all those three stars are just as exciting to me as the four stars. I have faith in Dan that those three stars aren't just roster/role players, some will be stars

CadaverDawg
06-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Class is starting to look really good. Obviously it's early, but it's a very good start. And with the recent success of the guys who weren't highly touted coming in, all those three stars are just as exciting to me as the four stars. I have faith in Dan that those three stars aren't just roster/role players, some will be stars

Completely agree

starkvegasdawg
06-25-2014, 12:44 PM
If Peters committed today we would jump from #12 to #8.
What was the highest ranked class we ever signed? I'm assuming it would have happened under the Kang. Just wondering how this class is shaping up historically.

Big4Dawg
06-25-2014, 12:50 PM
The thing about these three stars we are getting, they are not like the ones in the past. Yes, on paper, the class looks mediocre but when you dig deeper, it's impressive.

http://247sports.com/Player/Maurice-Smitherman-33790
http://247sports.com/Player/Chason-Virgil-19627
http://247sports.com/Player/Darrien-McNair-37860
http://247sports.com/Player/Deddrick-Thomas-30559
http://247sports.com/Player/Kendell-Jones-42658

These all have multiple BCS offers and all out of state.

hacker
06-25-2014, 01:31 PM
On paper, the class looks great too. #12 in the country, remember?

Big4Dawg
06-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Thatis also because we have 5-7 more commitments then those below us, we will be around 20 when it is all said and done.

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2014, 01:47 PM
I have learned to feel really good about 3 star players that Mullen accepts commitments from early. That means that he was sold on them, which with is track record, is good enough for me.

My only concern is the offensive line. Danley is visiting Oklahoma soon with them as his leader. We really need this guy, and really need to him to get through his Oklahoma trip uncommitted.

hacker
06-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Thatis also because we have 5-7 more commitments then those below us, we will be around 20 when it is all said and done.

Several teams in the top 25 have the same amount of commits. I'm betting we finish in the 10 - 15 range, assuming the class doesn't fall apart.

Big4Dawg
06-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Danley situation is weird. Someone one Scout said they are friends with his dad and we are doing a bad job of recruiting him and not acting like we want him.

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Danley situation is weird. Someone one Scout said they are friends with his dad and we are doing a bad job of recruiting him and not acting like we want him.

I somehow sincerely doubt that is the truth. We aren't stupid. The whole "my sister's baby daddy's brother's girlfriend" is absurd. You realize that I could post something like without any connection to anyone.

Same thing with Fletcher Adams. People would have to be ridiculously stupid to believe that we aren't recruiting as hard or harder than anyone else. If you have learned anything about Mullen over the past 5 years, it's that he is a grinder and is the opposite of lazy. Same thing with Collins.

Any rumors that I ever hear about another school recruiting an in-state player harder than us, I either dismiss it as complete BS or wonder if our coaches just don't believe the player is that good. Many times the media hypes certain players to the point where we believe they are good players, but none of us have ever seen the player play.

chainedup_Dawg
06-25-2014, 02:10 PM
How many of these 3 * guys do you recruitniks think will get bumped to 4? I know, historically we don't get the extra bump after commitment but it seems like I remember a number of them being high 3s

Big4Dawg
06-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Several teams in the top 25 have the same amount of commits. I'm betting we finish in the 10 - 15 range, assuming the class doesn't fall apart.

If you do 247 class calculator and add in (which is Paul's projected class):

DB/LB Jamal Peters
DE Johnathan Calvin
DT Fletcher Adams
RB Nick Gibson
DB Khane Pass
DB/LB Mark McLaurin
DE Gabriel Campbell
DE Jalen Bates
RB Alec Murphy
WR Justin Johnson
OL Jamal Danley
OL Donovan Welch

With 30 commits, we would have "229.63 points", which would only be ranked #22 last year, and #19 in 2013.

I would lower your expectations a tad.

hailmari
06-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Deddrick Thomas looks like a faster Tubby that knows how to stay upright after the catch to me. (which is awesome)

Keith Mixon is a 3* speed dude that has my attention.. I don't know how we can work him in with Thomas, Dear, and Gray all coming in, though.

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2014, 02:16 PM
If you do 247 class calculator and add in (which is Paul's projected class):

DB/LB Jamal Peters
DE Johnathan Calvin
DT Fletcher Adams
RB Nick Gibson
DB Khane Pass
DB/LB Mark McLaurin
DE Gabriel Campbell
DE Jalen Bates
RB Alec Murphy
WR Justin Johnson
OL Jamal Danley
OL Donovan Welch

With 30 commits, we would have "229.63 points", which would only be ranked #22 last year, and #19 in 2013.

I would lower your expectations a tad.

You say this with the assumption that many of our current commits won't get higher rankings as we go forward. The recruiting websites are nowhere close to having all these guys ranked correctly and many guys will get bumped up as the senior season progresses. My guess is that we end up somewhere between 13 and 18.

FISHDAWG
06-25-2014, 02:22 PM
those with twitter accounts need to tweet this out

thf24
06-25-2014, 02:25 PM
You say this with the assumption that many of our current commits won't get higher rankings as we go forward. The recruiting websites are nowhere close to having all these guys ranked correctly and many guys will get bumped up as the senior season progresses. My guess is that we end up somewhere between 13 and 18.

Wow, with this number of commits it's weird to think that the class's senior season hasn't even started yet.

hacker
06-25-2014, 05:54 PM

this

hacker
06-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Besides, we're talking about landing between 10th and 20th. Is that really "mediocre" to you, Big4Dawg? I think that's pretty f'ing good, even at 20th. "Mediocre" is like 30-35 range to me.

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2014, 06:53 PM
Besides, we're talking about landing between 10th and 20th. Is that really "mediocre" to you, Big4Dawg? I think that's pretty f'ing good, even at 20th. "Mediocre" is like 30-35 range to me.

THIS

Once you are recruiting between about 8 and 20 to 25, over a few years, you will have acquired enough talent to beat anyone. You will still be the underdog against the top 5 recruiting teams, but your best 30-35 players should be able to compete with anyone and give you a chance to beat anyone.

Coach34
06-25-2014, 06:56 PM
We're going to have a top 20 class- likely around 15-17 is my guess. And with the way we evaluate talent- that's like having a top 10 class.

TaleofTwoDogs
06-25-2014, 08:34 PM
No way little old MSU could have this high of a ranked class for 2015. If the truth be told, our class of recruits probably thought they were committing to the Ole Miss Bulldogs.

maroonmania
06-25-2014, 08:50 PM
I have learned to feel really good about 3 star players that Mullen accepts commitments from early. That means that he was sold on them, which with is track record, is good enough for me.

My only concern is the offensive line. Danley is visiting Oklahoma soon with them as his leader. We really need this guy, and really need to him to get through his Oklahoma trip uncommitted.

Has Danley actually named OK as his leader over us? I knew he had us both pretty even but hadn't heard he had actually called OK the leader. We really need him to come in a take over for Clausell next year.

Schultzy
06-25-2014, 09:17 PM
What was the highest ranked class we ever signed? I'm assuming it would have happened under the Kang. Just wondering how this class is shaping up historically.

He signed the #13 class one of the years after our SEC West Championship. It was the class with that big time safety from the delta, he was number 22 I think. Can't remember his name, Darren something I think, or the exact year.

Thick
06-26-2014, 06:45 AM
Williams, otherwise known as Dapo.