PDA

View Full Version : Kale Breax, LHP, Sulphur HS (LA) makes U18 Team USA Roster

KB21
06-24-2014, 04:20 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/usa-baseball-announces-18u-trials-roster/

Kale Breaux, lhp, Sulphur (La.) HS

The 6-foot, 170 pound Breaux is a strike-thrower with pitchability. His fastball largely sat 84-86 in his first inning and 82-83 towards the end of his first outing in Cary with a fairly easy delivery and high three-quarters arm slot. He shows feel for a 73-74 mph changeup with potential and mixing in a high 60s breaking ball.

Pro scouts will be looking at him hard, but he probably will not go very high unless he gets a bump in his velocity this year.

Just noticed I misspelled his name in the title.

MsStateBaseball
06-24-2014, 04:28 PM
We have three LHP in the same class that may be drafted. We should keep Breax though.

KB21
06-24-2014, 04:56 PM
We have three LHP in the same class that may be drafted. We should keep Breax though.

Padgett, Breaux, and Pilkington.

Padgett concerns me. I think he has his heart set on the pros.

messageboardsuperhero
06-24-2014, 05:47 PM
That's awesome. Yeah, I selfishly wouldn't mind his velo staying around mid 80s this year, just to make sure we can keep him. That velocity isn't a concern either way for him though- he's a big time pitcher who will eventually throw harder by the time he gets here, and the guy just flat out knows how to pitch.

messageboardsuperhero
06-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Padgett, Breaux, and Pilkington.

Padgett concerns me. I think he has his heart set on the pros.

I don't know if I'd say Padgett has his heart set on the pros, but he will be very tough to keep.

As of now, I like our chances with the other two.

I seen it dawg
06-24-2014, 06:38 PM
Breaux is not going to blow up the gun but he can pitch. Excellent control is his strength.

maroonmania
06-24-2014, 07:10 PM
Breaux is not going to blow up the gun but he can pitch. Excellent control is his strength.

Success in college is primarily about control, not arm strength. Give me a guy with a B+ arm with excellent control and that's plenty good enough. What did guys like Devin Jones, Evan Mitchell and Brandon Woodruff all have in common? Very little control on the corners. Constantly behind hitters and having to lay it down the heart of the plate to get a strike called. That doesn't work no matter how hard you throw it.