PDA

View Full Version : Renfroe Named to MLB Futures Game

TheRef
06-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Hunter Renfroe has been announced on the MLB Futures roster for MLB All-Star Weekend. It'll be good to watch him in the big time playing.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article//big-league-power-highlights-rosters-for-2014-sirius-xm-all-star-futures-game?ymd=20140624&content_id=81348872

messageboardsuperhero
06-24-2014, 03:01 PM
Wow, that's a huge honor! He'll be in the big leagues at some point next season.

Coach34
06-24-2014, 03:08 PM
He was batting .111 as of yesterday in AA. Slow your roll. I'm still not convinced he can hit upper level pitching.

We'll how he adjusts in the 2nd half of the season once he gets a grasp on how he is being attacked early in counts

TheRef
06-24-2014, 03:11 PM
5 Games, 18 AB, 2 H, 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI. OBP .200, OPS .478

Tbonewannabe
06-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Don't the scouts set the roster for the Futures? Hunter is progressing like someone who basically was in a church softball league until he got to college. He has all the tools, he just has to develop and work hard.

It looks like MLB thinks he has a chance to be up soon.

HancockCountyDog
06-24-2014, 03:23 PM
He was batting .111 as of yesterday in AA. Slow your roll. I'm still not convinced he can hit upper level pitching.

We'll how he adjusts in the 2nd half of the season once he gets a grasp on how he is being attacked early in counts

It's almost like you are hoping he fails? I mean, wouldn't you rather be wrong about him and see a bulldog succeed, as opposed to being right and seeing him fail?

Coach34
06-24-2014, 03:50 PM
It's almost like you are hoping he fails? I mean, wouldn't you rather be wrong about him and see a bulldog succeed, as opposed to being right and seeing him fail?

Nowhere in my post did I say I hope he fails. I said I'm not convinced he can hit bigtime pitching. And it's also why I said it will be interesting to follow him in the 2nd half of the season to see what adjustments he is able to make. He has a lot of talent- not disputing that at all.

Nothing in my post even remotely suggested that I hope he doesn't make it

Pioneer Dawg
06-24-2014, 03:57 PM

Gawd this is the WORST type of post.

messageboardsuperhero
06-24-2014, 06:05 PM

He's played in a whopping five games. Like you, I'm interested to see how he adjusts to better pitching.

Also remember, Renfroe didn't exactly set high A ball on fire at the end of last season- in fact, he was actually pretty bad. Then he made adjustments.

Todd4State
06-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Don't the scouts set the roster for the Futures? Hunter is progressing like someone who basically was in a church softball league until he got to college. He has all the tools, he just has to develop and work hard.

It looks like MLB thinks he has a chance to be up soon.

Exactly. Although, I'm not sure who picks the Futures Game players. It might be a MLB panel which probably has some input for scouts. But it's a huge honor and is pretty much for guys that are almost sure fire MLB players. It's one of my favorite baseball events.

Coach34
06-24-2014, 09:03 PM
Being in the Futures game hardly guarantees any players MLB success.

Tbonewannabe
06-24-2014, 09:12 PM

I would think that the chance for someone playing in that game and making a roster next year is a lot greater than someone not in the game.

Coach34
06-24-2014, 09:19 PM
He has a ton of talent
Defensively- he could be an MLB All-Star

I just dont think he can hit better than .200 in MLB and will struggle to hang on a 25 man roster

Todd4State
06-24-2014, 09:24 PM

No, but it is a better indicator than your average run of the mill minor leaguer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Star_Futures_Game_all-time_roster

Coach34
06-24-2014, 09:27 PM
No, but it is a better indicator than your average run of the mill minor leaguer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Star_Futures_Game_all-time_roster

yeahhhh, good ol Giuseppe Chiaramonte (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuseppe_Chiaramonte) and his storied MLB career

PMDawg
06-24-2014, 10:13 PM

Lolololol!!! Surely you forgot the****