PDA

View Full Version : Jake Wells (our 1B coach) is reportedly headed to La Tech.

messageboardsuperhero
06-24-2014, 11:06 AM
He was also our director of camps, I think. Now he'll probably be an actual full time assistant coach at La Tech.

MsStateBaseball
06-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Just saw that from Kendall Rogers.

DudyDawg
06-24-2014, 11:17 AM
Is that much of a loss? He seemed like a good 1B coach but I don't know if he did much else. He could've, I really just don't know

messageboardsuperhero
06-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Is that much of a loss? He seemed like a good 1B coach but I don't know if he did much else. He could've, I really just don't know

Meh, not really. He really wasn't even allowed to recruit off campus because he wasn't officially a "full time coach." Wells wants to be a real, full time college baseball coach- this was a good career move for him.

We'll probably go get another young guy wanting to prove themselves to run our camps, organize events, coach first base, etc.

Tbonewannabe
06-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Could this lead to someone with a hitting specialty on the staff?

BankerDog
06-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Don't you guys find it odd that Mingione never gets looked at it by these other staffs? We've lost Burroughs and now Wells but not Mingione. I think he is the one that might be missing on these hitting prospects. His decisions coaching third base are horrible, costing us a few runs a game.

MsStateBaseball
06-24-2014, 01:11 PM
I think Mingione does get looked at but he thinks there is unfinished business--and it is. He wants a championship. We should get two more coaches. What's his face that went to the softball team and Wells. We need to hire someone that knows California or the West Coast. We need to recruit that more.

smootness
06-24-2014, 01:18 PM
Don't you guys find it odd that Mingione never gets looked at it by these other staffs? We've lost Burroughs and now Wells but not Mingione. I think he is the one that might be missing on these hitting prospects. His decisions coaching third base are horrible, costing us a few runs a game.

Woah woah woah. He isn't great, but no third base coach has ever cost his team 'a few runs a game'. That's insane. He's apparently a great recruiter, which is probably why we make sure to keep him.

ScoobaDawg
06-24-2014, 01:33 PM
I think Mingione does get looked at but he thinks there is unfinished business--and it is. He wants a championship. We should get two more coaches. What's his face that went to the softball team and Wells. We need to hire someone that knows California or the West Coast. We need to recruit that more.

Bratton is not coming back to work with Cohen I'm pretty certain.

MsStateBaseball
06-24-2014, 01:47 PM
What did Bratton do besides not be a very good scheduler of baseball games...

bulldogcountry1
06-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Hitting coach! Hitting coach! Hitting coach!

I seen it dawg
06-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Wells is definitely at Tech

smootness
06-24-2014, 04:15 PM
Bratton is not coming back to work with Cohen I'm pretty certain.

I think he meant that we will replace him, too, not that we'll try to get him back.

Todd4State
06-24-2014, 08:35 PM
I think Mingione is a a good recruiter. I don't know how much credit he should get because Butch is very good and better- but I will say that ever since Mingione was promoted that was when we started to get into California and he almost landed Preston Palmeiro when our foot wasn't even in the door at the beginning. Recruiting is probably his best attribute- recruits constantly mention his name when they commit to us.

As a hitting coach I think he is probably very average. Not bad, but not earth shattering either. That said, I do think the hitting coach thing is overplayed. Our problem last year was power and hitting with RISP. The team batting average was only slightly below the SEC average. I expect that to improve next year and going forward.

As far as other schools looking at him- if the Western Carolina job comes open, he will be one of their top candidates. He has only been our hitting coach for two years, and I think he will probably end up leaving in about a year or two most likely.

That said, if I were Cohen the first guy I would call is Chris Curry from Northwestern State. Because to me, the biggest thing I think we need is a guy that can coach catchers. At the same time, Curry has coached hitters, pitchers, and he has coached first and third. He has coached at Arkansas and he has pro experience. He knows Mississippi and is a MSU guy. Curry is also a good recruiter as well.

Todd4State
06-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Here's his bio.

http://www.nsudemons.com/coaches.aspx?rc=535

Coach34
06-24-2014, 09:34 PM
Could this lead to someone with a hitting specialty on the staff?

Dude- our HC is our hitting coach and it isnt going to change- just like Mullenisnt going to stop running our offense anytime soon.

Hitting coach/Offensive coordinator are token jobs at MSU right now

Homedawg
06-24-2014, 09:39 PM
Dude- our HC is our hitting coach and it isnt going to change- just like Mullenisnt going to stop running our offense anytime soon.

Ditto. Doesn't matter how many times this is said- people will continue on and on. We can hire ken Griffey jr and john is going to coach the hitters. Move on.

ScottH
06-24-2014, 09:43 PM
That said, if I were Cohen the first guy I would call is Chris Curry from Northwestern State. Because to me, the biggest thing I think we need is a guy that can coach catchers. At the same time, Curry has coached hitters, pitchers, and he has coached first and third. He has coached at Arkansas and he has pro experience. He knows Mississippi and is a MSU guy. Curry is also a good recruiter as well.

Superb idea.

State82
06-24-2014, 09:45 PM

Pretty accurate analogy.