PDA

View Full Version : Lebron James opts out of Heat contract

TheRef
06-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Lebron James has announced that he has opted out of his contract with the Miami Heat. Thoughts on where he will end up? I think he ends up chasing rings in Houston.

Westdawg
06-24-2014, 08:46 AM
i think he won't push to make it to the finals anymore. I honestly believe it's gonna be all about "me" and money from here on out. But i can be completely wrong.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-24-2014, 08:48 AM
LA Lakers

Pioneer Dawg
06-24-2014, 08:49 AM
New York Knicks and Phil Jackson

thf24
06-24-2014, 09:01 AM
I know returning to Cleveland is the cliche answer, but I'd love to see what he and Kyrie Irving can do together. Of course, that possibility may have already been ruled out since the Cavs have indicated they want to take Jabari Parker with the first draft pick.

Vandownbytheriver
06-24-2014, 09:01 AM
Selfishly, I hope he goes to OKC. I could see him ending up back in Cleveland or possibly Brooklyn.

CadaverDawg
06-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Mark Cuban will try to pay him a Billion to go to Dallas, but I see him ending up in New York

dickiedawg
06-24-2014, 09:11 AM
I could see him going back to Cleveland. Apparently there aren't a lot of folks "in the know" in Cleveland that expect that.
But his wife apparently put a picture of Akron on Instagram yesterday with the caption "Home sweet home!! The countdown is real! #330"
At the time whatever talking head was talking about it said she was probably just referring to their home there where they spend the summers, but who knows now?
Cleveland has a ton of young talent and I could see Lebron wanting to win in Cleveland.

thf24
06-24-2014, 09:26 AM
But his wife apparently put a picture of Akron on Instagram yesterday with the caption "Home sweet home!! The countdown is real! #330"
At the time whatever talking head was talking about it said she was probably just referring to their home there where they spend the summers, but who knows now?

Turned out she was talking about a family reunion.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-24-2014, 09:44 AM
He'll resign with Miami.

codeDawg
06-24-2014, 09:47 AM
New York Knicks and Phil Jackson

nm.

jumbo
06-24-2014, 09:48 AM
i think he won't push to make it to the finals anymore. I honestly believe it's gonna be all about "me" and money from here on out. But i can be completely wrong.

Way wrong here. He terminated his deal to free up money so Miami can sign pieces around him Bosh & Wade. I wouldn't be surprised to see them follow suit. He will re-sign in Miami.

As for all of you saying the Knicks, no chance. The Knicks are a horrible organization and Phil will help to right the ship, but they are nowhere near a championship.

Reason2succeed
06-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Would love to see him come to the Houston Rockets where he could team up with James Harden and Dwight Howard but I don't really see that happening. More likely he's going to the Knicks. He could have/would have been going home to the Cleveland Cavs but the owner acted like the plantation owner Colonel Reb on his way out.

DudyDawg
06-24-2014, 10:22 AM
This doesn't mean he is leaving at all. It means a) he's making it so that every team in the NBA can come to him with a plan to impress him. B). Forces the heat's hand to add another person to get him to stay and makes it where he can take less money from them so they can afford that fourth person (think someone like Kyle Lowry). He's basically like a hotel owner who is building a new one, and instead if using the same contractor as usual, he's said every construction company pitch me an idea and I'll pick the best one. That being said, he wants the company who built all his hotels, the heat, to win that bid. He doesn't want to leave, and this gives the heat money and options

hacker
06-24-2014, 10:22 AM
I also think he will resign with the Heat. He hasn't even had the sit down with Wade and Bosh yet.

DudyDawg
06-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Would love to see him come to the Houston Rockets where he could team up with James Harden and Dwight Howard but I don't really see that happening. More likely he's going to the Knicks. He could have/would have been going home to the Cleveland Cavs but the owner acted like the plantation owner Colonel Reb on his way out.

Knicks have a zero percent chance no point talking about that. Melo is the one who could go to Houston. He's leaning towards Chicago, but they are having problems btwn thibs and the front office, so if he goes melo won't go there.

Political Hack
06-24-2014, 10:28 AM
he could be just renegotiated his contract rather than play games like this. if he resigns with Miami, he's just pulling a publicity stunt.

Heard on the radio his wife tweeted something about "home sweet home" a couple of days ago. Some are saying it's because they're going to name their daughter "Akron" but given the timing it would really piss off fans in Ohio to the extreme. I think it's Cleveland or NY. Winning at Cleveland will give him a better legacy. He's chasing Jordan.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-24-2014, 10:32 AM
He has to opt out to renegotiate his contract he has no choice. Also his wife was talking about "home sweet home" bc she was in Akron for a family reunion. You're right he's chasing Jordan ring wise so why would he leave an established franchise known for putting championship teams together to go to 2 of the worst run franchises in the NBA (Cle or NY)? He's staying in Miami & you'll see Bosh & Wade opt out also to give the franchise more flexibility.

TheRef
06-24-2014, 10:34 AM
All I know is that I'm not watching ESPN/Sportscenter for 2 months.

jumbo
06-24-2014, 10:40 AM
he could be just renegotiated his contract rather than play games like this. if he resigns with Miami, he's just pulling a publicity stunt.

Heard on the radio his wife tweeted something about "home sweet home" a couple of days ago. Some are saying it's because they're going to name their daughter "Akron" but given the timing it would really piss off fans in Ohio to the extreme. I think it's Cleveland or NY. Winning at Cleveland will give him a better legacy. He's chasing Jordan.

not a publicity stunt at all. he's going to resign for less money so they can sign the pieces needed to stay in the Finals.

quickstrike2
06-24-2014, 10:46 AM
He will probably just resign with the Heat, but he will do it in the most LOOK AT ME way there is, starting with him saying he will opt out and beginning all the speculation talk.

He may be doing it to take a little less money and be able to sign more people, I mean the best player in the game has to have atleast 2-4 other all stars to win a championship right?

Dawg61
06-24-2014, 10:50 AM
All I know is that I'm not watching ESPN/Sportscenter for 2 months.

Lol if it ain't live sports I'm never watching ESPN.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-24-2014, 10:53 AM
He will probably just resign with the Heat, but he will do it in the most LOOK AT ME way there is, starting with him saying he will opt out and beginning all the speculation talk.

He may be doing it to take a little less money and be able to sign more people, I mean the best player in the game has to have atleast 2-4 other all stars to win a championship right?

Hasn't basically every championship team had multiple all stars & in most cases multiple hall of famers?

Pioneer Dawg
06-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Hasn't basically every championship team had multiple all stars & in most cases multiple hall of famers?

Mavs had Dirk and supporting characters.

hacker
06-24-2014, 11:03 AM

yes. Lebron's one of the most modest / least selfish dudes in the NBA, IMO. He did **** up with The Decision. I don't think he thought that through.

quickstrike2
06-24-2014, 11:07 AM

Probably so. I'll never get over the presentation on the decision. Basically saying, I can't do it here in Cleveland, so I'm going to go join Wade and Bosh so we can team up and make it easier.

I think Jordan said it best, "I didnt want to join my friends, I wanted to beat them."

jumbo
06-24-2014, 11:10 AM
I mean the best player in the game has to have atleast 2-4 other all stars to win a championship right?

well let's see....

Spurs- Parker, Duncan, Ginobli
Celtics- Garnett, Pierce, Allen
Lakers- Kobe, Pau, Bynum
Lakers early 2000's- Kobe, Shaq
Bulls- Jordan, Pippen, Grant, Rodman

let's go way back

Showtime Lakers- Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Green
Bad Boy Pistons- Lambier, Thomas, Dumars, Mahorn
Celtics- Bird, Walton, Parish, McHale

should I continue?

jumbo
06-24-2014, 11:11 AM
yes. Lebron's one of the most modest / least selfish dudes in the NBA, IMO. He did **** up with The Decision. I don't think he thought that through.

"The Decsion" was ESPN. LeBron went along cause he raised money for charity, but has acknowledged that it was a bad idea

Political Hack
06-24-2014, 11:11 AM
He'd have a better chance at winning Championships and taking more of the credit for a single championship in Cleveland. Irving, James, and Parker would be a pretty impressive start and he'd get 99% of the credit. Irving would be a HUGE plus for James on the court. Having a PG who can make 35-40% of his 3's and dish out 6 assist per game is huge. Also, he's young has remained healthy the last year plus and can run the floor as well as anyone in the league. The Cavs would have 3 number 1 overall picks with Irving, James, and Parker. That "big 3" is far superior to the big 3 in Miami.

Wade is great, but he can't spread the floor like Irving can. It's not even close. The top of the roster talent at Cleveland with James is WAY, WAY better than it is at Miami. Oh, and Bosh is not a super star. Bird man is more important than him to the Heat's roster.

Irving, Deng, James, Parker and whoever else they put on the floor are young and as talented as the starting five for the Heat... assuming Ray Allen is finally old and will retire. Regardless, I think he averaged under 10 PPG this year and is damn near 40. If James is ever going back to Cleveland, it's time to do it now. New coach, 3 #1 overall picks, Deng, Thomas, etc... and the Heat could be losing James, Allen, Wade, and Bosh all this year. A lot of unknowns for the Heat.

hacker
06-24-2014, 11:14 AM
He'd have a better chance at winning Championships and taking more of the credit for a single championship in Cleveland. Irving, James, and Parker would be a pretty impressive start and he'd get 99% of the credit. Irving would be a HUGE plus for James on the court. Having a PG who can make 35-40% of his 3's and dish out 6 assist per game is huge. Also, he's young has remained healthy the last year plus and can run the floor as well as anyone in the league. The Cavs would have 3 number 1 overall picks with Irving, James, and Parker. That "big 3" is far superior to the big 3 in Miami.

Wade is great, but he can't spread the floor like Irving can. It's not even close. The top of the roster talent at Cleveland with James is WAY, WAY better than it is at Miami. Oh, and Bosh is not a super star. Bird man is more important than him to the Heat's roster.

Irving, Deng, James, Parker and whoever else they put on the floor are young and as talented as the starting five for the Heat... assuming Ray Allen is finally old and will retire. Regardless, I think he averaged under 10 PPG this year and is damn near 40. If James is ever going back to Cleveland, it's time to do it now. New coach, 3 #1 overall picks, Deng, Thomas, etc... and the Heat could be losing James, Allen, Wade, and Bosh all this year. A lot of unknowns for the Heat.

Don't forget their overall #1 last year who apparently is a bust. I don't even know his name. Anthony ??

DudyDawg
06-24-2014, 11:15 AM
How can you say that big three is better when one hasn't even touched the floor? I realize he's talented but that's ludicrous.

And as far as look at me, it won't be that. It'll seem like bc ESPN won't stop covering it, but it won't be his doing that makes the attention all about him

DudyDawg
06-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Also, deng looks like he's leaving Cleveland. At least I've heard that on a few radio shows

jumbo
06-24-2014, 11:17 AM

I agree, but don't see him going back as long as Dan Gilbert is around.

Dawg61
06-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Wade and Bosh are not top 10 players anymore. The Heat will have a tough task to keep all 3 of them for next year unless Wade and Bosh sign for 5 mill a piece and that ain't happening. Wade has a bigger ego than James.

quickstrike2
06-24-2014, 11:28 AM
well let's see....

Lakers- Kobe, Pau, Bynum

let's go way back

should I continue?

Yeah, those teams definitely had great players. Several of them you mentioned seems like more of role players (Grant and Rodman) than pure All Stars.

My main point being, I had never really seen where, the leading scores for 3 teams, (Wade-Miami, Lebron-Cavs, and Bosh-Raptors), join up. Maybe the only other would be the Celtics with Pierce, Allen, and Garnett.

The other looks like teams that did some damn good drafting and putting of teams together. Spurs with Parker, Duncan and Ginobli is pretty incredible team building. Lakers with Shaq and Kobe would have won all kind of championships had they stayed together.

DudyDawg
06-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Yeah, those teams definitely had great players. Several of them you mentioned seems like more of role players (Grant and Rodman) than pure All Stars.

My main point being, I had never really seen where, the leading scores for 3 teams, (Wade-Miami, Lebron-Cavs, and Bosh-Raptors), join up. Maybe the only other would be the Celtics with Pierce, Allen, and Garnett.

The other looks like teams that did some damn good drafting and putting of teams together. Spurs with Parker, Duncan and Ginobli is pretty incredible team building. Lakers with Shaq and Kobe would have won all kind of championships had they stayed together.

I would consider Rodman more than a role player considering he is arguably the best rebounder to ever play the game

TheRef
06-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Delete

Political Hack
06-24-2014, 12:20 PM
How can you say that big three is better when one hasn't even touched the floor? I realize he's talented but that's ludicrous.

And as far as look at me, it won't be that. It'll seem like bc ESPN won't stop covering it, but it won't be his doing that makes the attention all about him

Parker is a stud. About as close of a lock as you can get from the college ranks. It's like saying no one knew Chris Jones was going to be good in the SEC.

DudyDawg
06-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Stud in college doesn't mean stud in nba. I'm not saying he isn't good or won't be, just that you can't say he's better than two guys with NBA rings and multiple all stars. That's just ridiculous. He could end up there but he's not right now

Dawg61
06-24-2014, 12:30 PM
I think the Lakers are a team to watch in this next addition of "Who Wants To Win Rings With LeBron" sweepstakes. They basically only have Kobe on the books. I can see them trying to get Love, LeBron and Melo paired with Kobe and I would think Kobe would be willing to renegotiate a more team friendly contract to get that team assembled.

DudyDawg
06-24-2014, 12:34 PM
I think the Lakers are a team to watch in this next addition of "Who Wants To Win Rings With LeBron" sweepstakes. They basically only have Kobe on the books. I can see them trying to get Love, LeBron and Melo paired with Kobe and I would think Kobe would be willing to renegotiate a more team friendly contract to get that team assembled.

They don't have the money because Kobe is selfish and took 50 mil over two years. Plus they're over the luxury tax already I think

If he's going to LA, it'll be with the clippers. Heard I think Chris Broussard say that was on the shortlist of options and possibilities

Political Hack
06-24-2014, 12:37 PM
Stud in college doesn't mean stud in nba. I'm not saying he isn't good or won't be, just that you can't say he's better than two guys with NBA rings and multiple all stars. That's just ridiculous. He could end up there but he's not right now

that's absurd. he's much better than Bosh. And yes, you can tell.

JJ Riddick & Danny Ferry - not going to be good in the NBA.
Kobe and Shaq - going to be good in the NBA.

I'll let you decide which side of that equation Parker falls in to.

TheRef
06-24-2014, 12:39 PM
New Banner on the Heat's official site. (http://www.nba.com/heat/)

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/media/2.0/teamsites/heat/images/mastheads/2013_masthead_beasleyallenhaslem_131028.jpg

DudyDawg
06-24-2014, 12:49 PM
that's absurd. he's much better than Bosh. And yes, you can tell.

JJ Riddick & Danny Ferry - not going to be good in the NBA.
Kobe and Shaq - going to be good in the NBA.

I'll let you decide which side of that equation Parker falls in to.

How many rings and all star apps does parker have and how many does bosh have? I'm agreeing that Parker will be good, but not an all star for two three years at least, and by then lebron will be 32. Bosh, now, better than parker, now. And if you think otherwise you're just dumb. Parker hasn't proven a thing yet

hacker
06-24-2014, 01:09 PM
They don't have the money because Kobe is selfish and took 50 mil over two years. Plus they're over the luxury tax already I think

If he's going to LA, it'll be with the clippers. Heard I think Chris Broussard say that was on the shortlist of options and possibilities

Chris Paul is Lebron's best friend supposedly. Would they trade Griffin for Lebron? Could you imagine Griffin and Lebron on the same team?

DudyDawg
06-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Chris Paul is Lebron's best friend supposedly. Would they trade Griffin for Lebron? Could you imagine Griffin and Lebron on the same team?
Don't think they would have to deal griffin but would deal jordan, probably a lot of their bench to clear cap space.

jumbo
06-24-2014, 01:23 PM

no way. Kobe wouldn't allow it. He has to be the guy. I could see Love OR Melo. But not both and definitely not LeBron.

Political Hack
07-07-2014, 02:34 PM
James still a lock going back to the Heat????

Johnson85
07-07-2014, 03:03 PM
well let's see....

Lakers- Kobe, Pau, Bynum

let's go way back

should I continue?

Why did you skip over the Mavs? Who was a start other than Dirk?
And who was the star with Olajuwon? Kenny Thomas? Mario Elie? A washed up Clyde Drexler? Vernon Maxwell? Robert Horry?

BeardoMSU
07-07-2014, 03:04 PM
James still a lock going back to the Heat????

They just signed Josh McRoberts, which is hardly a home-run pickup. I also think they made a mistake taking Napier in the draft; I'm not a big fan of his game. Is he really better than Cole and Chalmers? I doubt it.

Also, with the Rockets offering Bosh a max contract, it could get really interesting.

Johnson85
07-07-2014, 03:08 PM

Bosh isn't a super start, but he's a 4 that can consistently hit shots out to 18 feet. I'd say that's pretty important when your two biggest scorers do not complement each other well. Not saying Bird Man isn't important, but they'd have a much easier time replacing him than Bosh. Bosh is the 3rd banana and a pretty good one, and probably a little better than average compared to 3rd banana's on most championship teams. Comparable to Grant, not as good as Rodman. Better than the 3rd banana on any of the Lakers teams? Not as good as young ginobli but as good as old Ginobli (or whoever was their 3rd banana this year?)

DudyDawg
07-07-2014, 03:18 PM
They just signed Josh McRoberts, which is hardly a home-run pickup. I also think they made a mistake taking Napier in the draft; I'm not a big fan of his game. Is he really better than Cole and Chalmers? I doubt it.

Also, with the Rockets offering Bosh a max contract, it could get really interesting.

I'm not sure what they're doing signing McRoberts. They also just signed Danny Granger, so maybe ray Allen is retiring or moving. That's a good pickup.

Napier fits well. He's got a decent shot that will improve and is a plus plus defender. He's also LeBron's favorite college player, so take that FWIW.

I like bosh to stay in Miami, but with the rockets kinda giving up on Melo and going after him I'm not so sure. He would fit well there, but I think if LBJ stays in Miami so will Bosh