PDA

View Full Version : Glad UVA saved this meltdown for the championship series

starkvegasdawg
06-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Five walks in one inning plus defensive brain farts.

Goat Holder
06-23-2014, 08:14 PM
I don't like the idea of another SEC team passing us. We will be a solid #4, if not #5 now, with Florida and Arkansas close behind.

Rick Danko
06-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Damn this just got out of hand for UVA

maroonmania
06-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Wow, Vandy now with a 9 run inning.

starkvegasdawg
06-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Vandy scores 9 runs already in the 3rd inning.

War Machine Dawg
06-23-2014, 08:20 PM
I don't like the idea of another SEC team passing us. We will be a solid #4, if not #5 now, with Florida and Arkansas close behind.

So Vandy winning 1 game means they'll win it all when it's a best of 3? #GoatLogic

And for the record, they've been ahead of us for a few years now.

msstate7
06-23-2014, 08:24 PM

Yeah. Even when we made the champ series, they raped us

messageboardsuperhero
06-23-2014, 08:30 PM
So Vandy winning 1 game means they'll win it all when it's a best of 3? #GoatLogic

Yeah, I love MSU baseball as much as the next guy, but let's be real Goat- Vandy's been ahead of us for the past several years. Really, they've been ahead of just about everyone over the past five years or so.

Now the good thing about being in the SEC is that even if you're not number 1 or 2 in the conference year-in and year-out, you can still be an outstanding program.

mstatefan91
06-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Uh oh. Virgina not gonna go quietly.

CadaverDawg
06-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Virginia and Vandy say, F you people and your "can't score runs in TD Ameritrade" nonsense.

TopDog58
06-23-2014, 08:41 PM

We just need that segment of our fan base to give the "MSU built SEC baseball" mantra a rest. It just sounds foolish when we haven't won an SEC Championship in over 20 years and Vandy is on the verge of becoming the SEC's 4th program with a natty to our 0.

BiscuitEater
06-23-2014, 08:41 PM

Scholarships?

Read on another board that Vandy gives academic scholarships to baseball players. What is different about Vandy that they can do this and other SEC teams can't?

mstatefan91
06-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Scholarships?

Read on another board that Vandy gives academic scholarships to baseball players. What is different about Vandy that they can do this and other SEC teams can't?

What do you mean? We can give academic scholarships to baseball players if they earn them. They just won't have athletic scholarship anymore. Right?

MarketingBully01
06-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I love MSU baseball as much as the next guy, but let's be real Goat- Vandy's been ahead of us for the past several years. Really, they've been ahead of just about everyone over the past five years or so.

Now the good thing about being in the SEC is that even if you're not number 1 or 2 in the conference year-in and year-out, you can still be an outstanding program.

Yet this is only their second College World Series ever. I think Virginia comes back and wins this game and wins the series 2-0. We have much more history then Vandy and after this they will only have gotten as far as us in the CWS. I don't think they have passed us.

MarketingBully01
06-23-2014, 08:47 PM
We just need that segment of our fan base to give the "MSU built SEC baseball" mantra a rest. It just sounds foolish when we haven't won an SEC Championship in over 20 years and Vandy is on the verge of becoming the SEC's 4th program with a natty to our 0.

On the verge??? I wouldn't call 0-2 or at best 1-2 on the verge.

MarketingBully01
06-23-2014, 08:48 PM
And they just put in another one of their starters....they better hope Beede is on otherwise they just conceded the CWS.

mstatefan91
06-23-2014, 08:48 PM
On the verge??? I wouldn't call 0-2 or at best 1-2 on the verge.

This guy right here can tell the future...

mstatefan91
06-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Great play by Vanderbilt right there. Hard call for the Ump

Goat Holder
06-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Historically, dipshit.

And yes, the game 1 winner has won like 90% of the time per the announcers.

messageboardsuperhero
06-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Yet this is only their second College World Series ever. I think Virginia comes back and wins this game and wins the series 2-0. We have much more history then Vandy and after this they will only have gotten as far as us in the CWS. I don't think they have passed us.

This isn't 1985 anymore. Yeah, I love our history and am glad we've done a lot of good things- but since Corbin got there, Vandy has been a better program than us. Scholarships have a lot to do with that, but it is what it is.

The good news is that Cohen has JUST NOW gotten to the point in recruiting where we're getting players that are as talented as the Vandy's, LSU's, USCe's, etc. I'm very excited about where we're headed.

mstatefan91
06-23-2014, 08:54 PM
Historically, dipshit.

And yes, the game 1 winner has won like 90% of the time per the announcers.

Who are you talking to? Wish you could quote people

BiscuitEater
06-23-2014, 08:56 PM
We can give academic scholarships to baseball players if they earn them. They just won't have athletic scholarship anymore. Right?

Vandy was able to give academic scholarships that other SEC teams couldn't. That's why I asked. It didn't make sense to me.

mstatefan91
06-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Vandy was able to give academic scholarships that other SEC teams couldn't. That's why I asked. It didn't make sense to me.

I thought a university could put anyone on an academic scholarship that they wanted to as long as the money is there. May be wrong though

DudyDawg
06-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Well, since they are private, can't they just hand them out to whoever they want

MarketingBully01
06-23-2014, 09:06 PM
This guy right here can tell the future...

Just as well as the other guy could tell the future...

mstatefan91
06-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Just as well as the other guy could tell the future...

I never claimed who would win :)

MarketingBully01
06-23-2014, 09:42 PM
I never claimed who would win :)

You weren't the one I was talking about. The Top guy I quoted in the replied to post was the guy I was talking about. We were in this same "on the verge" spot last year and we wilted. The game is now 9-7. Let's see if Vandy follows suit which I am predicting they will.

mstatefan91
06-23-2014, 09:44 PM
You weren't the one I was talking about. The Top guy I quoted in the replied to post was the guy I was talking about. We were in this same "on the verge" spot last year and we wilted. The game is now 9-7. Let's see if Vandy follows suit which I am predicting they will.

Very possible. Virginia is just chipping away patiently

MarketingBully01
06-23-2014, 09:48 PM
Vandy has also burnt two starters this game. They bet the farm they would win this game when they put Miller in. They better hope they do win this game or it will most certainly be a 2-0 Virginia series.

MarketingBully01
06-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Vandy has also burnt two starters this game. They bet the farm they would win this game when they put Miller in. They better hope they do win this game or it will most certainly be a 2-0 Virginia series.

I like this scruffy freshman pitcher for Virginia. If Gentry gets his shit together next year, he could be as effective as this kid don't you think Todd?

MarketingBully01
06-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Down to the bottom of the ninth 9-8....let's see if Virginia can complete the come back.

MarketingBully01
06-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Virginia will win it in 3. Hard to overcome giving up 9 runs.

TopDog58
06-24-2014, 12:20 AM

We scored 1 run in the championship series. Like I said, Vandy is on the verge of becoming the 4th different SEC team to win a national title. They've also won an SEC championship since many people on this board have been alive. But hey, MSU built SEC baseball!

MzTerry
06-24-2014, 12:47 AM
Well, since they are private, can't they just hand them out to whoever they want

Yes, it's my understanding Vandy gives around 75 percent more scholly money to baseball players than any other SEC school (or any school for that matter). Even if it's only 50 percent more that's still a huge difference. People need to stop asking why Vandy signees turn down the MLB - their top recruits all get full rides.

mstatefan91
06-24-2014, 12:51 AM
Vandy will win it if they haven't burned all of their pitching up. Idk for sure since I don't follow them that closely but a 90% history in the CWS is pretty telling.

Todd4State
06-24-2014, 01:10 AM
Yes, it's my understanding Vandy gives around 75 percent more scholly money to baseball players than any other SEC school (or any school for that matter). Even if it's only 50 percent more that's still a huge difference. People need to stop asking why Vandy signees turn down the MLB - their top recruits all get full rides.

I think what it is (and I may be off) they can give full scholarships to students "in need" at the University's discretion.

BTW, I saw where Touki Touissant just signed with the D-Backs yesterday.

The only thing with us is we have to try to make up for the Hope/Vandy/whatever else advantage by trying to get our players academic scholarships.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
06-24-2014, 05:45 AM
Like I said, Vandy is on the verge of becoming the 4th different SEC team to win a national title. !

Fifth if you count Missouri's 1954 title. Sure, they weren't a member school then and our program much better today than their's, but I think it helps make your point.

MarketingBully01
06-24-2014, 09:14 AM
We scored 1 run in the championship series. Like I said, Vandy is on the verge of becoming the 4th different SEC team to win a national title. They've also won an SEC championship since many people on this board have been alive. But hey, MSU built SEC baseball!

Now you can say they are on the verge, however I still think Virginia will win it. Virginia lost yesterday because of a melt down in one inning. Virginia still has a ton of pitching. Vanderbilt does not. They pitched two starters yesterday. They better hope the Beede of last year shows himself and not the Beede of this year. We didn't show up in the championship series last year and we screwed our rotation by starting Graveman for the Friday game. I think when we get back to this point again Cohen and Thompson will pitch it differently.

DownwardDawg
06-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Vandy will win it if they haven't burned all of their pitching up. Idk for sure since I don't follow them that closely but a 90% history in the CWS is pretty telling.

Yeah, but other than the total meltdown in one inning, Virginia dominated that game. I think UV wins in three.

State82
06-24-2014, 10:07 AM
I think what it is (and I may be off) they can give full scholarships to students "in need" at the University's discretion.
1/4 to 1/2 scholly or so at MSU/UM or full ride at Vandy. Now that is tough to deal with right there.