PDA

View Full Version : Pernell McPhee predicts MSU goes undefeated

starkvegasdawg
06-23-2014, 05:05 PM
No pressure.

Randy
06-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Link?

That's a bit of a stretch. I think we go 9-3 or 10-2. Not undefeated. I don't think we are in the position to beat Alabama just yet.

preachermatt83
06-23-2014, 05:15 PM
im still calling for 11-1. I see it happening.

cristilmethod
06-23-2014, 05:23 PM

No way that ends badly

drunkernhelldawg
06-23-2014, 06:10 PM
We've got a chance in every game, including Alabama. Unlikely but not impossible to win them all. Good to hear McPhee giving love to his Dawgs.

MarketingBully01
06-23-2014, 06:26 PM

I could see us going 11-1 with the loss to Alabama. It will really depend on the LSU game. Win that one and watch our confidence go sky high. This would be the year to do it. The Egg Bowl could decide the West this year. Imagine that.

Pollodawg
06-23-2014, 06:40 PM
If we win the LSU game, the sky is the limit.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Weve never gone 11-1. If we go 11-1, Ill admit I was wrong about Dan.

Political Hack
06-23-2014, 06:49 PM

10-2 or 9-3 = CDM is a damn good coach

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-23-2014, 06:53 PM

I agree.

DawgSaint
06-23-2014, 07:02 PM

Anybody who says otherwise is nuts

LC Dawg
06-23-2014, 07:11 PM
I like that former players like to stay attached to our program. McPhee saying this shows me that he believes in what our coaches are trying to do.

HoopsDawg
06-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Just compare our team to Auburn's last year. The main difference is in 4 spots. They had a big time RT in Robinson. A pass rusher in Dee Ford. A WR that can stretch the field in Coates, and a big time RB in Mason. That's the big difference b/t their team last year and our team coming into this season. That and they had a horseshoe stuck up their ass.

Schultzy
06-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Love it when former players succeed and are still in to what's going on here. He wouldn't be saying that if he didn't think we had a chance to have a special year.

msstate7
06-23-2014, 08:01 PM
Just compare our team to Auburn's last year. The main difference is in 4 spots. They had a big time RT in Robinson. A pass rusher in Dee Ford. A WR that can stretch the field in Coates, and a big time RB in Mason. That's the big difference b/t their team last year and our team coming into this season. That and they had a horseshoe stuck up their ass.

We have no Robinson.

If nick James comes along and Chris jones keeps being himself, I think Preston smith could really become a big time pass rusher.

We may not have the hr hitter like Coates, but Wilson, Lewis, and Malcolm Johnson all have big play capability and dak is much better passer than Marshall.

Jrob, nick, shump, and aeris have to be effective this year. None really compare to mason, but all bring more thump IMO just not the explosiveness.

The horseshoe... Good grief God, we've had terrible luck pretty much my lifetime as a state fan. Would it hurt You to give us a dak to dak score setting up pass, a Hail Mary answered, and a miracle finish to beat bama? Please, we've suffered enough to be blessed beyond measure this season...

War Machine Dawg
06-23-2014, 08:11 PM
We have no Robinson.

If nick James comes along and Chris jones keeps being himself, I think Preston smith could really become a big time pass rusher.

We may not have the hr hitter like Coates, but Wilson, Lewis, and Malcolm Johnson all have big play capability and dak is much better passer than Marshall.

Jrob, nick, shump, and aeris have to be effective this year. None really compare to mason, but all bring more thump IMO just not the explosiveness.

The horseshoe... Good grief God, we've had terrible luck pretty much my lifetime as a state fan. Would it hurt You to give us a dak to dak score setting up pass, a Hail Mary answered, and a miracle finish to beat bama? Please, we've suffered enough to be blessed beyond measure this season...

JRob has plenty of explosiveness. He's had several 30+ yard runs the last two seasons. Go back and re-watch the second half of the UPig game last year. He goes 75 in a hurry in that game.

bgdog
06-23-2014, 08:20 PM

Well that's mighty white of you

thf24
06-23-2014, 08:54 PM
J-Rob is deceptively fast. I think with a good year this year, he plays his way into the NFL conversation. He started to resemble Maurice Jones-Drew to me last year; short, stout, one-cut back that will just as soon run over you as run past you. Just not quite as fast.

BiscuitEater
06-23-2014, 09:16 PM
No pressure.

Always liked Pernell McPhee ... like his vibes!

bulldawg28
06-23-2014, 09:21 PM
J-Rob is deceptively fast. I think with a good year this year, he plays his way into the NFL conversation. He started to resemble Maurice Jones-Drew to me last year; short, stout, one-cut back that will just as soon run over you as run past you. Just not quite as fast.

He's one of the fastest players on the team.

War Machine Dawg
06-23-2014, 10:58 PM
He's one of the fastest players on the team.

I don't doubt that. He's had lots of long runs in two years and doesn't seem to get caught from behind.

Dawgfan77
06-24-2014, 06:43 AM
I could see us going 11-1 with the loss to Alabama. It will really depend on the LSU game. Win that one and watch our confidence go sky high. This would be the year to do it. The Egg Bowl could decide the West this year. Imagine that.

You are grossly over estimating the Rebs. They are are a 7 to 8 win team max

Reason2succeed
06-24-2014, 06:49 AM
The horseshoe... Good grief God, we've had terrible luck pretty much my lifetime as a state fan. Would it hurt You to give us a dak to dak score setting up pass, a Hail Mary answered, and a miracle finish to beat bama? Please, we've suffered enough to be blessed beyond measure this season...[/QUOTE]

We need whatever blessing, voodoo, goodluck charm, etc. that Auburn had working for them last year. I'm seriously comtemplating a prayer vigil and fasting or something. I'm going to stop all of my bad habits just to get some mojo for State. I get excited every season but THIS YEAR we are loaded when most of the other programs are reloading. I just don't know when we will ever have such a great opportunity. Let's pray: "Dear Lord, sweet baby Jesus...!"

jimbo352
06-24-2014, 09:54 AM
You are grossly over estimating the Rebs. They are are a 7 to 8 win team max

Vegas has the over under for both State and Ole Miss at 7 wins I think... Vegas doesn't play favorites, they odds... That's what has me worried when people talk about 10, 11, or 12 wins... Vegas is hardly ever that far off over an entire 12 game season.

Covercorner2
06-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Vegas has the over under for both State and Ole Miss at 7 wins I think... Vegas doesn't play favorites, they odds... That's what has me worried when people talk about 10, 11, or 12 wins... Vegas is hardly ever that far off over an entire 12 game season.

Vegas also doesn't "predict" the teams Ws and Ls. They set a number to where the public will bet as close to 50/50 on both sides. It's all about public perception, which can be very wrong, while Vegas can still be "right." Btw Auburn's O/U last year was 6.5 and Mizzou's was 5.5.....

drunkernhelldawg
06-24-2014, 10:25 AM

You're right that it'd be unusual for oddsmakers to be that far off. What I think is that our team has some unknown positives that can emerge. Also, we have 7 games that we should actually be favored in, which leaves us 5 to add however much gravy to that. However, even the USM game is not a win until after the game is played.

starkvegasdawg
06-24-2014, 10:29 AM

What did they have for Auburn last year?

hacker
06-24-2014, 11:40 AM

Btw Auburn's O/U last year was 6.5 and Mizzou's was 5.5.....

jimbo352
06-24-2014, 11:41 AM

Ah yes... Lets not talk about the lines for every other major conference team... Let's talk about the exception to the rule... Makes total sense...

Vegas is rarely that far off. Aurburn had 3-4 last minute/second miracle wins... It was a dream season with every bit of luck going their way... Vegas underestimated them before the season because they were starting a former CB at QB(who was juco), and and they were trying to change the style of offense...

We have a dark horse Heisman QB returning, with a very very salty defense, and they still have us at 7... Look boys... 11 wins my ass... I don't want us to build this thing up to the point that everyone wants to fire Dan for 8 wins...

Covercorner2
06-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Ah yes... Lets not talk about the lines for every other major conference team... Let's talk about the exception to the rule... Makes total sense...

Vegas is rarely that far off. Aurburn had 3-4 last minute/second miracle wins... It was a dream season with every bit of luck going their way... Vegas underestimated them before the season because they were starting a former CB at QB(who was juco), and and they were trying to change the style of offense...

We have a dark horse Heisman QB returning, with a very very salty defense, and they still have us at 7... Look boys... 11 wins my ass... I don't want us to build this thing up to the point that everyone wants to fire Dan for 8 wins...

Missouri was 5.5 last year. Two "exceptions" played in ATL the first weekend in December....

Also of note: Baylor was 7.5, UCF was 8.5, Michigan State was 8.5, I could go on and on. That's a lot of "exceptions" (including Auburn) that played in BCS games

starkvegasdawg
06-24-2014, 12:04 PM

Wasn't trying to be a smart ass...smart ass. I genuinely wondered what their O/U was last season. I know they are rarely off which is why I wondered what theirs was. I missed it earlier in the thread

thf24
06-24-2014, 12:04 PM

Vegas didn't underestimate, overestimate, or correctly estimate anyone. They don't give a damn about predicting what will actually happen, they care about predicting what the betting masses think is going to happen. The average national football fan might know that Mississippi State is a middle-of-the-road SEC team who's been to several bowl games in the past few years and was bad for most of the decade prior to that run. They don't know that we have a special QB, a loaded defense, tons of experience, and a favorable schedule, so naturally the perception is that we'll win 6-7 games. And it's the perception of the masses that sets the lines, not Vegas' football opinion.

Covercorner2
06-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Vegas didn't underestimate, overestimate, or correctly estimate anyone. They don't give a damn about predicting what will actually happen, they care about predicting what the betting masses think is going to happen. The average national football fan might know that Mississippi State is a middle-of-the-road SEC team who's been to several bowl games in the past few years and was bad for most of the decade prior to that run. They don't know that we have a special QB, a loaded defense, tons of experience, and a favorable schedule, so naturally the perception is that we'll win 6-7 games. And it's the perception of the masses that sets the lines, not Vegas' opinion.

EXACTLY

MarketingBully01
06-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Looks like Vegas had their head up their ass last year. Stands to reason there would be a few "exceptions" creep up this year as well. Especially if one of those "exception" teams is lead by a Tebow/Newtonesque player that is also coached by the same guy who coached those players....and I think really the only player we don't have of that four that you guys mentioned is a dominate Tackle. But we do have an above average OLine and that will be sufficient to keep the Dak train going IMO.

drunkernhelldawg
06-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Vegas didn't underestimate, overestimate, or correctly estimate anyone. They don't give a damn about predicting what will actually happen, they care about predicting what the betting masses think is going to happen. The average national football fan might know that Mississippi State is a middle-of-the-road SEC team who's been to several bowl games in the past few years and was bad for most of the decade prior to that run. They don't know that we have a special QB, a loaded defense, tons of experience, and a favorable schedule, so naturally the perception is that we'll win 6-7 games. And it's the perception of the masses that sets the lines, not Vegas' football opinion.

Nobody's going to bet it without at least looking at our schedule. I can't imagine how you take the under 7. I'd say the number will be at 8 before August.

Covercorner2
06-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Nobody's going to bet it without at least looking at our schedule. I can't imagine how you take the under 7. I'd say the number will be at 8 before August.

The general public will still think we are behind Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, and TSUN, without even looking at their respective personnel. So there's your 5 losses and why the number is 7...

hacker
06-24-2014, 12:17 PM
Vegas didn't underestimate, overestimate, or correctly estimate anyone. They don't give a damn about predicting what will actually happen, they care about predicting what the betting masses think is going to happen.

/thread

junctiondawg
06-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Guys calm down... Until we actually beat Alabama, Auburn, or LSU count them as losses. The Egg Bowl will not decide the West next year and in the past the home team usually wins. Im hoping for better but realistically we stand to win 8 games next year 9 tops and that will put us back in a respectable bowl. We need to get a couple of Gator Bowls under our belt in order to make a National Championship run. Some of y'all need to put down the Kool Aid and think with your heads not with your hearts.

Covercorner2
06-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Guys calm down... Until we actually beat Alabama, Auburn, or LSU count them as losses. The Egg Bowl will not decide the West next year and in the past the home team usually wins. Im hoping for better but realistically we stand to win 8 games next year 9 tops. Some of y'all need to put down the Kool Aid and think with your heads not with your hearts.

Poor Ol State. LSU will win 8 tops next year. Think with your head and not with history...

hacker
06-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Guys calm down... Until we actually beat Alabama, Auburn, or LSU count them as losses. The Egg Bowl will not decide the West next year and in the past the home team usually wins. Im hoping for better but realistically we stand to win 8 games next year 9 tops and that will put us back in a respectable bowl. We need to get a couple of Gator Bowls under our belt in order to make a National Championship run. Some of y'all need to put down the Kool Aid and think with your heads not with your hearts.

bear troll

junctiondawg
06-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Call me a troll all you want, Hacker. The Wayne Madkin jersey in my closet and the cowbell on my dresser prove that statement wrong. Im just a realist and don't think that every single year we are going to win it all no matter how much better other teams in the SEC west are. I stopped having that naive mentality after I graduated the 6th grade.

Covercorner2
06-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Call me a troll all you want, Hacker. The Wayne Madkin jersey in my closet and the cowbell on my dresser prove that statement wrong. Im just a realist and don't think that every single year we are going to win it all no matter how much better other teams in the SEC west are. I stopped having that naive mentality after I graduated the 6th grade.

No one thought we would "win it all" last year. Most were probably happy going into the season with 6-8 wins. Hell our O/U was 5.5. This year is a little different than years past, however, for obvious reasons....

junctiondawg
06-24-2014, 01:30 PM
I just think it is a little ridiculous to say that we beat Alabama, LSU, and Auburn this year. Thats all.

Covercorner2
06-24-2014, 01:33 PM
I just think it is a little ridiculous to say that we beat Alabama, LSU, and Auburn this year. Thats all.

LSU will in all likelihood be starting a true freshman QB, RB, and WR in the 4th CFB game of their lives. And we always play Auburn as tight as anyone, and that game is at home. Yes, Bama would be very tough, but they also have more holes than they have had in recent seasons. Thinking we dont have a chance is a "poor old State" attitude and based mostly off of history, not personnel, matchups, venue, etc....

thf24
06-24-2014, 01:36 PM

I can understand Alabama and LSU simply because they're on the road, but why Auburn? We always play them hard at home, and they've lost several key pieces from a team that was four lucky plays from being 8-4 last year, that we had beaten until the final drive? It's a toss up at best, but why is it so ridiculous to think we'll win?

drunkernhelldawg
06-24-2014, 02:00 PM

Not saying we'll beat them but am saying that we have a chance to beat them. If our team is so weak that we can't even compete with LSU and Bama, then you are right. I just think we're close enough to line up and play.

MSUDawg4Life
06-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Not saying we'll beat them but am saying that we have a chance to beat them. If our team is so weak that we can't even compete with LSU and Bama, then you are right. I just think we're close enough to line up and play.

Right. I think we have a chance and the ability to be competitive in every game. That doesn't mean that we will win every game. Just that we're going to fight for it with every team we play this season. Should be fun to watch.

RougeDawg
06-24-2014, 04:59 PM
No pressure.

I guess it's safe to say there has been some delay in the delivery of Pernells 2014 Phil Steele magazine. After he reads that, he will be anxiously hoping for just a bowl opportunity.

RState
06-26-2014, 10:11 PM
LSU will in all likelihood be starting a true freshman QB, RB, and WR in the 4th CFB game of their lives. And we always play Auburn as tight as anyone, and that game is at home. Yes, Bama would be very tough, but they also have more holes than they have had in recent seasons. Thinking we dont have a chance is a "poor old State" attitude and based mostly off of history, not personnel, matchups, venue, etc....

I gotta agree with Covercorner 2. Frankly I'm bout sick n tired of the "poor old State" attitude to. History don't mean nothin in the SECW look at the last few years! If we gone do it this is the year to do it. Are boys got there heads on straight and been in the weight room. Dak aint off gettin locked up like some of the other players in the state but I won't name names. We got a lot more than that goin for us with the new stadium and we already sold a buncha tickets. Anybody heard hard numbers on that btw? Im hearing good stuff but I aint heard the facts on it. Anyway I think we sure are wasting a bunch of time on the computer talkin about it if we don't think the Dawgs are gonna do nothing more than just be a middle of the road team this year. And junction I know I'm bad to get into the koolaid but everythings good in moderation right?

BossDawg
06-26-2014, 10:16 PM

I think we'll have a chance against Auburn. LSU? @ BR? I really think we have the capability to beat them. BUT i see us playing in our own shit down the stretch like last year. Hell, OM beat LSU last year for God's sake, so there is no legit reason why we shouldn't be able to. We just have to not beat ourselves.

Bama, well, they are another story. Perhaps we have a chance, but it's a very small one.

msstate7
06-26-2014, 10:20 PM
I think we'll have a chance against Auburn. LSU? @ BR? I really think we have the capability to beat them. BUT i see us playing in our own shit down the stretch like last year. Hell, OM beat LSU last year for God's sake, so there is no legit reason why we shouldn't be able to. We just have to not beat ourselves.

Bama, well, they are another story. Perhaps we have a chance, but it's a very small one.

If our defense is as good as it should be, we'll have a chance in every game we play. 3rd down conversion rate will be the huge stat to watch this year. If we sustain drives and give our defense rest, I expect a huge year

War Machine Dawg
06-27-2014, 12:38 AM
If our defense is as good as it should be, we'll have a chance in every game we play. 3rd down conversion rate will be the huge stat to watch this year. If we sustain drives and give our defense rest, I expect a huge year

This man knows what he's talking about. Two years ago, we were horrendous on 3rd down. Last year, we saw significant improvement in that area after Dak took over at QB. The reason is with our improved ability to run the ball as a team with Dak got us in a lot more 3rd and manageable situations than with TR when we stayed in 3rd and long. I have no reason to believe we shouldn't continue to see improvement in converting 3rd downs with Dak having a year of experience under his belt, Dak's improved passing, and the improved play & physicality of our WR unit. Bear & RoJo on slant patterns/quick hitch comebacks in 3rd & 5 or less should be almost unstoppable. And I haven't even mentioned our TEs.

Dammit, I'm wooly as hell and ready to talk football. Be on the lookout for some new WMD material soon. Hurry up fall!!!!!!!