PDA

View Full Version : Everything I hate about soccer was experienced in that game yesterday

curmudgeon
06-23-2014, 10:12 AM
This is not to start another soccer debate, but I want to convey my thoughts.

I watched the entire USA-Portugal game yesterday. Every second. Here are my thoughts.

Portugal has the best player in the world, huh?
Wow, they look so much faster than us.
That was quick. (Portugal's early goal)
For the rest of the first half, it looked like we were the better team, but couldn't score.
USA first goal - All those great attacks and chances and we score on a fluke?
USA second goal - Wow, haven't won our first two games since 1930. This is huge.
Stansbury stall. What the hell. This never works.
Five minutes extra time. What the hell? Why don't they stop the clock for injuries and stuff - this seems like it could be abused by officials.
And that was a sweet goal by Portugal. Tie that feels like a loss. Crap.
But we still should advance. We have Portugal on goal differential and we beat Ghana head to head
Wait, head to head doesn't mean anything? So Ghana could go over us despite us beating them? That's stupid.

TheRef
06-23-2014, 10:14 AM
H2H only counts if goal differential is the same....so we could still have that happen.

curmudgeon
06-23-2014, 10:17 AM
But it is completely asinine that head to head is not the first tiebreaker when it is available.

DudyDawg
06-23-2014, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't consider the first goal a fluke at all. It was a superb shot, not a fluke. People score 30 yarders all the time.

I do agree with one thing, that head to head should be the first tie breaker. If I could change one rule, that would be it.

I like the running clock. I think it makes people hurry to get up from injury and "injury". As I highlighted in another post, the game of soccer is so much focused on rhythm and momentum that stopping the clock for ten minutes for an injury instead of quickly taking the stretcher out and basically saying "get up or get on so we can get the game going" would ruin it. They scored that last goal because that striker was mentally and physically less drained, and a bunch of clock stoppages with no hurry to get the game going wouldn't have let that advantage be used, because everyone would have rest and be on an even playing field

War Machine Dawg
06-23-2014, 10:26 AM
But it is completely asinine that head to head is not the first tiebreaker when it is available.

Totally agree with this. H2H should always be the first tie breaker.

rabbitthedawg
06-23-2014, 10:31 AM
I just don't see why soccer doesn't have two 45 minute half's with the clock counting down. If there is an injury, let an official in the booth keep the time it takes, then after the second half comes to a close and the clock reaches zero...put five minutes on the board or whatever and count it down! That would much more exciting!!

DudyDawg
06-23-2014, 10:40 AM
I just don't see why soccer doesn't have two 45 minute half's with the clock counting down. If there is an injury, let an official in the booth keep the time it takes, then after the second half comes to a close and the clock reaches zero...put five minutes on the board or whatever and count it down! That would much more exciting!!

Because imagine how boring that would be with the five extra minutes. If the leading team knew exactly how long they had and that the ref couldn't add more to it, they would literally sit on the ball until someone took it then act hurt. It would be awful

hacker
06-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Everything I love about soccer was experienced in that game yesterday. It was exciting, had awesome goals, and completely heartbreaking at the end. I watched every second of the game, glued to the screen. I haven't felt so emotionally invested in a game since <any MSU football game>.

Dawg61
06-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Name any sport and I can name twenty things about it that bug me. No sport is perfect. Glad you watched the USA match though. We have come a long way in the last twenty years.

Apoplectic
06-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Name any sport and I can name twenty things about it that bug me. No sport is perfect. Glad you watched the USA match though. We have come a long way in the last twenty years.

College football......go!

rabbitthedawg
06-23-2014, 11:40 AM
That is the first time I have ever watched a soccer game. Didn't take me but a few minutest to figure out how the defense set up and the offensive plays worked. Because it was the USA, and being patriotic that I am, I was excited when our guys scores and pissed at the end. Oh well...that is why we love sports.

smootness
06-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Everything I love about soccer was experienced in that game yesterday. It was exciting, had awesome goals, and completely heartbreaking at the end. I watched every second of the game, glued to the screen. I haven't felt so emotionally invested in a game since <any MSU football game>.

Yep. If these things bug you, then you just don't like the sport and that's fine.

FWIW, though, you can say these same things about most sports. Mike Trout is the best player in baseball? I couldn't tell, yesterday he went 0-4 with 2 Ks.
We keep hitting these rockets right at the SS, but they get a blooper to drop and score a run?
The 4 teams that decide the national champion in college football are decided by random people? What the heck? Seems like this could be abused.

As far as goal differential is concerned, I'm ok with that. I've always been somewhat conflicted about head-to-head, or at least about the fact that everyone seems to think this is such an obvious thing. It makes sense on one hand, but on the other, if you beat a team head-to-head and are still tied, that means they also performed better against everyone else. There is an inherent negative there. You can argue goal differential is a better indication of just how well a certain team is played, though you can also argue that goal differential shouldn't matter.

It's just one of those things. In an ideal world, I would try to figure out a better way to go about adding extra time (the countdown clocks were tried in MLS and were universally hated). I would also try to eliminate diving.

But the tiebreakers and such are just what the sport is. I'm fine with that part of it.

DudyDawg
06-23-2014, 12:04 PM
I think the biggest problem in soccer isn't diving, its injury feigning. They are completely different. In soccer, because it is a game that is played with feet, it is incredibly easy to get knocked down. So, while there is diving, it really isn't is bad as it seems, because of how easy it is to fall down when someone touches your feet. Ever kick a buddy in the heel and he trips and falls for giggles? Its easy. Barely touch a foot, people fall. The problem is what happens after that. So many guys stay down and make the most of it that it gets aggravating, to fans and non fans alike. Lovers of the game hate it, but put up with it, and haters of the game stay away form the game bc of it. And the guys don't do it bc they are p**sies or bc they are weak, but bc the rules are such that faking an injury can hurt the other team and players by getting them a card. So, to get rid of the injury feigning, the burden must fall on the rule makers and referees not to reward it. But, bc of the different leagues and governing bodies, changing the rules is difficult and a long process, so don't expect a change any time soon.

Dawg61
06-23-2014, 12:40 PM
College football......go!

1. clocks runs till under 2 minutes
2. nascar offenses
3. extra points too easy
4. targeting flags/ejections/reviews
5. kickoffs/punts less exciting
6. helmets too dangerous
7. unfair recruiting adv with uniforms/Oregon
8. same teams always on CBS/Gameday
9. minor league NFL
10. recruiting
11. bubble screen after bubble screen
12. ESPN/media's infatuation with the same teams every year
13. pass interference
14. B1G crybabies
15. BCS Playoff system
16. money/salaries/paying players getting crazy
17. fake turf fields
18. can't hit QBs
19. schedule overlaps MLB playoffs
20. Ole Miss

DudyDawg
06-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Don't forget commercials/Lack of beer sales/Ole Miss again

Dawg61
06-23-2014, 12:48 PM
I think the best way to get rid of the fake injuries in soccer and is to not stop play for at least 30 seconds and to not show the players on tv. Wanna fake an injury and roll around on the ground? Fine but you are leaving your team a man down while you're on the ground.

smootness
06-23-2014, 01:22 PM
I think the best way to get rid of the fake injuries in soccer and is to not stop play for at least 30 seconds and to not show the players on tv. Wanna fake an injury and roll around on the ground? Fine but you are leaving your team a man down while you're on the ground.

Yep, they should implement some kind of 'play doesn't stop for 2 minutes after a player goes down'. Either that, or once you stay on the ground for some period of time (15 seconds, for example) you have to leave the pitch, and once you leave you either have to sub someone else in, or that player must stay off for 5 minutes.

Either that, or just card someone who takes 5 minutes to leave the pitch then immediately tries to come back in.

DudyDawg
06-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Another million dollar idea (full of em today). Get a fifth official. Stick a stop watch in his hand. The second a player goes down, he starts it and doesn't stop it until that player is off the field. That time is how long he has to wait before re entering, or he can be immediately subbed

chainedup_Dawg
06-23-2014, 04:58 PM

I watched the entire USA-Portugal game yesterday. Every second. Here are my thoughts.

For the rest of the first half, it looked like we were the better team, but couldn't score.
USA second goal - Wow, haven't won our first two games since 1930. This is huge.
Five minutes extra time. What the hell? Why don't they stop the clock for injuries and stuff - this seems like it could be abused by officials.
But we still should advance. We have Portugal on goal differential and we beat Ghana head to head
Wait, head to head doesn't mean anything? So Ghana could go over us despite us beating them? That's stupid.

I don't necessarily hate it, I don't make it a point to watch, but I don't hate it. One thing that I think would help is if there were no games ending in a draw. I mean, you're in an effing tournament, there should be a winner and a loser, period. That and the flopping, it's beginning to be worse than the NBA and that is saying a lot.

HoopsDawg
06-23-2014, 05:23 PM
1. clocks runs till under 2 minutes
2. nascar offenses
3. extra points too easy
4. targeting flags/ejections/reviews
5. kickoffs/punts less exciting
6. helmets too dangerous
7. unfair recruiting adv with uniforms/Oregon
8. same teams always on CBS/Gameday
9. minor league NFL
10. recruiting
11. bubble screen after bubble screen
12. ESPN/media's infatuation with the same teams every year
13. pass interference
14. B1G crybabies
15. BCS Playoff system
16. money/salaries/paying players getting crazy
17. fake turf fields
18. can't hit QBs
19. schedule overlaps MLB playoffs
20. Ole Miss

I will add conference realignment and unbalanced schedules. 20 minute halftimes. FCS games. Pre-season polls. And I also don't like the fumble through the endzone resulting in a turnover.

Percho
06-23-2014, 05:36 PM

3 to 2 ??

BulldogBear
06-23-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with those that think H2H should be the first tiebreaker between TWO teams. I can see that point of goal differential showing an inherent negative overall BUT.... we already have a a way to decide amongst the "overall" and that's the point system. If two teams are tied in points, the issue ONLY involves those two and there is no better way to differentiate between the TWO than the actual on field results. To say otherwise cheapens the accomplishment of the victor. There is no better way to determine which is the better (or if you prefer- "more deserving") of two teams than to play an actual game between them and see who wins.

hacker
06-23-2014, 07:17 PM
3 to 2 ??

Not sure what you're getting at, but yes, even that game

missouridawg
06-23-2014, 09:59 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a fan of soccer, but I can support the USA in anything...

But the point I want to make, is that of all the games you can complain about being boring, the USA-Portugal game wasn't.

A nil-nil tie? Sure.... complain away. I went to London a few years back and watched Arsenal-Chelsea play to a nil-nil tie in person. Never been more pissed off about two teams I could care less about... But a 2-2 game in which the home team scores to go up late and then gives up a late equalizer wasn't boring. It was heartbreaking, but that's part of sports.

War Machine Dawg
06-23-2014, 10:48 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a fan of soccer, but I can support the USA in anything...

But the point I want to make, is that of all the games you can complain about being boring, the USA-Portugal game wasn't.

A nil-nil tie? Sure.... complain away. I went to London a few years back and watched Arsenal-Chelsea play to a nil-nil tie in person. Never been more pissed off about two teams I could care less about... But a 2-2 game in which the home team scores to go up late and then gives up a late equalizer wasn't boring. It was heartbreaking, but that's part of sports.

Nailed it. And it made the tie feel like a loss, even though it wasn't. That was the outcome most of us were hoping for before the game, as 4 points is *probably* enough to get out of group play to the knockout round. Sure, it would've been awesome to advance Sunday and have no pressure for the game on Thursday. But really, we're right where we were hoping to be at this point.

BulldogBear
06-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Nailed it. And it made the tie feel like a loss, even though it wasn't. That was the outcome most of us were hoping for before the game, as 4 points is *probably* enough to get out of group play to the knockout round. Sure, it would've been awesome to advance Sunday and have no pressure for the game on Thursday. But really, we're right where we were hoping to be at this point.

THIS^ ....I stayed up late to watch it on DVR. It was exciting. We took a lot of early shots and missed. Then finally we tied and it felt relieving. Then took the late lead and it felt big. Then give up the late score and it deflated me like a loss but a tie still has us in a pretty good position to advance and what we were at least hoping for. The only thing we couldn't do was lose.

ghostofjackie
06-24-2014, 08:33 AM

I quit reading when you stated that our first goal was a fluke. It's one of the best goals of the tournament.

scottycameron
06-24-2014, 08:44 AM
I can't believe you watched an entire soccer game.