PDA

View Full Version : If we could get a duplicate of Trustmark Park at DNF now

bulldogcountry1
06-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Would you take it? Obviously, we keep the LFL and make it more "maroon".

I say no. While I like the layout and look, I think it's too small for our needs. I believe it only has 5500 chair backs. I think we need at least 7500. We also need the capability to handle 10,000+, as far as restrooms and concessions

PassInterference
06-22-2014, 08:03 AM
But you have to admire the sale of beer.

engie
06-22-2014, 08:47 AM
Would you take it? Obviously, we keep the LFL and make it more "maroon".

I say no. While I like the layout and look, I think it's too small for our needs. I believe it only has 5500 chair backs. I think we need at least 7500. We also need the capability to handle 10,000+, as far as restrooms and concessions

The current Dudy Noble only has 4300 chairbacks.

Food for thought...

bulldogcountry1
06-22-2014, 09:56 AM

Food for thought...

Would you be happy with 28% more? That's equivalent to adding two more sections down each base line at DNF. Better, but a far cry from the best.

drummerdawg
06-22-2014, 10:04 AM

Food for thought...

replace the bleachers with chairbacks and you'll probably get around 7k

engie
06-22-2014, 10:20 AM
Would you be happy with 28% more? That's equivalent to adding two more sections down each base line at DNF. Better, but a far cry from the best.

I never said anything about being "happy" with that number. My thoughts on this are as well-versed and hashed out as anyone.

There are lots and lots of "Trustmark Parks" out there with more chairbacks. The design stays the same with a moderate number of additional seats.

Our problem stems from the fact that we only need to accommodate the huge crowds a couple times a year -- while needing it to not be a monstrosity that swallows the crowd the rest of the time like our current park does. What we actually need is as many chairbacks as we can sell season tickets(with PSLs) to fill them -- whatever that number is.

My ideal park has wide concourses, with temp expandable seating options that can be put in for big games that are not in place the rest of the time. Maybe even pull out bleachers on the back sides of the concourse. You can even have them behind "walls" so you don't see them most of the time.

Including the bleachers, drummerdawg, there is currently 7300 seats outside the foul lines at Dudy Noble.

messageboardsuperhero
06-22-2014, 10:20 AM
replace the bleachers with chairbacks and you'll probably get around 7k

Replace bleachers with chairbacks, and you'll definitely get about 2-3K more chairback seating but built on an outdated design with a shitty view of the field. We're going to have to spend $30-35+ mil. anyway- using that money just to put some lipstick on a pig would be a terrible waste of money compared to what we could get.

Goat Holder
06-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Not sure. I don't think many people realize that stadiums like ours and Ole Miss' have a certain intimidating effect. And, they are 'college' parks. LSU, South Carolina and Arkansas feel an awful lot like a boring minor league game, with more focus on chicken dancing, kiddie activities and such. Not that it is a bad thing to have kiddie activities, it's just that you can have both.

I love Dudy Noble as it is. We need to fix the ticket deal and have a better general admission area, and it needs updating, but I don't see the problem with the way it's laid out. Just something to think about in the midst of the 'open concourse' madness.

Todd4State
06-22-2014, 02:15 PM
I never said anything about being "happy" with that number. My thoughts on this are as well-versed and hashed out as anyone.

There are lots and lots of "Trustmark Parks" out there with more chairbacks. The design stays the same with a moderate number of additional seats.

Our problem stems from the fact that we only need to accommodate the huge crowds a couple times a year -- while needing it to not be a monstrosity that swallows the crowd the rest of the time like our current park does. What we actually need is as many chairbacks as we can sell season tickets(with PSLs) to fill them -- whatever that number is.

My ideal park has wide concourses, with temp expandable seating options that can be put in for big games that are not in place the rest of the time. Maybe even pull out bleachers on the back sides of the concourse. You can even have them behind "walls" so you don't see them most of the time.

Including the bleachers, drummerdawg, there is currently 7300 seats outside the foul lines at Dudy Noble.

Exactly. We need something bigger than Trustmark Park. I think the Governor's Cup set a record this past year and there were something like 7-8 K people there. And obviously we bring in crowds of up to 15K and easily draw 10K for some SEC games.

We need something more along the lines of Autozone Park.

Trustmark Park works perfectly for Jackson though.

archdog
06-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Exactly. We need something bigger than Trustmark Park. I think the Governor's Cup set a record this past year and there were something like 7-8 K people there. And obviously we bring in crowds of up to 15K and easily draw 10K for some SEC games.

We need something more along the lines of Autozone Park.

Trustmark Park works perfectly for Jackson though.

They already messed up by not hiring the design team that designed the new Baron's facility HKS out of Dallas.

KB21
06-22-2014, 10:16 PM
One thing you definitely do not want is to build a big stadium that can seat 15,000 folks and have only 8-9 thousand as an average attendance.

Todd4State
06-22-2014, 10:19 PM
They already messed up by not hiring the design team that designed the new Baron's facility HKS out of Dallas.

I disagree because the team that they did select is made up of MSU people. That's important because we're pretty picky about our traditions and things like the LFL and you only understand that if you are a MSU person.

Plus, Janet Marie Smith is a consultant on the project as well.

Todd4State
06-22-2014, 10:21 PM
One thing you definitely do not want is to build a big stadium that can seat 15,000 folks and have only 8-9 thousand as an average attendance.

But you also don't want to build one for 8,000 and then not be able to handle the demand for 15,000.

The trick for us is build something that won't look empty on TV when we are playing someone like Missouri that our fans don't care as much about and at the same time be able to handle the massive crowds as well.

KB21
06-22-2014, 10:29 PM
But you also don't want to build one for 8,000 and then not be able to handle the demand for 15,000.

The trick for us is build something that won't look empty on TV when we are playing someone like Missouri that our fans don't care as much about and at the same time be able to handle the massive crowds as well.

Yeah. You also want the fans to feel as much of a part of the game as the players do. NFL parks are starting to get the fans closer to the action with seats that are very close to the field. Then you have a place like Sun Life Stadium in Miami that will undergo renovations soon to bring some seats closer to the field, but they are currently too far away.

You definitely do not want something that is going to look empty with what is the typical attendance to a game, but you do want something that can accommodate the games where we will have 15,000 plus. We are in a unique situation with college baseball. No one else can say they have 15,000 plus as much as MSU.

engie
06-22-2014, 11:21 PM

What has HKS done more/better than Populous and Janet Marie Smith?

bulldogcountry1
06-23-2014, 08:03 AM

How do you pull that off in a practical way? The easiest way that I know if is to tarp over sections with some misspelled graphics. That makes the crowd more dense. Otherwise, I just dont know what's really doable as far as temporary seating.

I don't think it's that big of a deal because we can fit 7-8K in the grandstand and bleachers now (with some standing room). Those gaudy numbers are possible because of the outfield. If we shoot for 7500-8000 chairbacks and have a concouse layout with a lot of standing room, then we will defintely have more capacity than we do now.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Yall keep bringing up JMS. She isnt involved really.