PDA

View Full Version : About Ole Miss baseball

Todd4State
06-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Now, I'm sure that there are some Ole Miss fans that are going to see this and say "look how obsessed these guys are"- all the while trolling a MSU message board. But I don't care- there are some things that need to be said.

And to those Ole Miss fans, I say- "you're welcome". I say that because had we not gone to the NC round last year, their team would not have been half as motivated to try to outdo us. Folks- their motto was "MSU did it, so why can't we?" So yeah- we're the ones obsessed. But here's the facts- THEY think that they have "passed us by" and that they are the baseball power in the state. That's their attitude. One of the problems with this is it's really freaking hard for people to buy that when Polk II and his team of Moreland, Ed Easley, Rea, and the MSU baseball camp All-Stars have gone to Omaha in less than half the time it took Bianco and it took Cohen, a guy that one of their "internet reporters" claimed left Kentucky in shambles almost a third of the time to not only make it to Omaha- but make it to the NC round in less than half the time it to Bianco to even make it to Omaha- and this after inheriting a dumpster fire of epic proportions. Even their buddy Kendall Rogers was starting to not buy it anymore.

And furthermore, I don't think their baseball program would be HALF as good as it would without us. Their baseball program is an at best spin off of us. When they rebuilt their grandstand in the early 90's, it was basically our grandstand painted red and blue. They have the outfield terrace- wonder where they could have possibly gotten that idea from? And true- they're not a complete rip off of us- they stole counting empty seats as attendance from LSU. So, credit where credit is due.

As far as pulling for them in Omaha- personally I did not pull for them. The reason I did not pull for them is because THEY ARE NOT MY TEAM. But....they're from Mississippi? Yeah- and the Kansas City Royals play in the same state as the Cardinals but that doesn't mean I'm going to automatically pull for the Royals in the World Series. Does anyone here think that Alabama people pulled for Auburn in the NC game this year? HELL NO! Pulling for Ole Miss makes ZERO sense to me. Why- BECAUSE IT HURTS MSU. Now- they wouldn't completely destroy, "pass us", etc.- but it wouldn't help us either. But....but....some Ole Miss fans pulled for MSU last year!? Yeah- and I appreciate it. But that doesn't obligate me to pull for Ole Miss just because some of their fans hopped on our bandwagon. I'm not in charge of taking fan cards or anything and people can do what they want- but that's my point of view on it. And PS- I didn't cheer for USM either when they went to Omaha.

As far as Ole Miss next year: They are going to have to deal with some of the same things that we went through this year. Their fans are probably going to pat them on the back, might have a victory celebration for them like we did last year for our team, and etc. And we saw how dangerous that was and can be. I've seen MLB teams win the World Series and have similar issues as well- so anyone is prone to it. Handling success is one of the most difficult things to do in baseball. "But they return Errol Robinson, Woodman, Colby Bortles, and Oriffice or whatever our fans are calling him." Nice little "rational" MSU fans. Now- being "rational MSU fans", what would you say if I told you that we would be losing our ace, our top two closers, our midweek guy who also pitched some in relief, position players who had hit 22 of our 42 team home runs, 62 of our 92 stolen bases, and all three of our .300 hitters on the season? You would probably say that we are losing a LOT. Well, you would be right- and that's what Ole Miss is losing. And that's assuming that Trent doesn't pull a Dale Burdick- so it's not like I'm putting their worst case scenario out there on the table. That's also assuming that they don't lose Godwin, which could potentially hurt this recruiting season. One thing I do know for certain- they have the target on their backs now.

Now as far as US. I'm really pumped about our future. We're recruiting better and I think our 2015 class will be Cohen's best one yet. We have a new stadium basically on the horizon- and I stand by my 2017 prediction on that. And one that I expect to blow away every other college stadium in America. Now I will admit that I am disappointed that Burdick went pro- and the reason I am disappointed is because I want us to have more power in the lineup. Yet, I think that is an exhibit as to why it is so hard to for EVERYONE to get power guys. And a lot of the ones that do go to college are like Garner or Renfroe- raw and have to be developed. My hope is that we can develop an offense built around speed and power that is aggressive- like ULL's but street legal, and power arms in the pitching staff as far as the starters and bullpen with an occasional submarine/sidearm guy in there as well. And as always- have a great defense behind it as well. In the future, MSU baseball is going to Houston and Los Angeles- two of the most prestigious college baseball tournaments out there, and I am also excited because I expect MSU baseball to make it's first appearance in Biloxi in the very near future as well- a place that MSU baseball has never been before. I look forward to continuing to winning more Governor's Cups, I look forward to 16K at SBW, I look forward to SR's in Starkville and the place going nuts and hopefully beating Ole Miss at Dudy-Noble to hammer home our supremacy I look forward to going back to Omaha again and taking that final step towards college baseball immortality and then sharing it all with the Elitedawgs!

/Over.

TheRef
06-21-2014, 10:30 PM
POTY

MsStateBaseball
06-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Excellent post, agree.

Goat Holder
06-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Agree, they are definitely still little brother.

And Godwin is history. He's ECUs next coach.

Mutt the Hoople
06-21-2014, 11:41 PM
They have a good team, but they lost because their fan base is morally, spiritually, and ethically weak. Last year, our team was a 3 seed at best, but we advanced to the CWS finals because of our superior fan base.

messageboardsuperhero
06-21-2014, 11:51 PM
It is funny how everything about UM's baseball "traditions" and atmosphere is derived (at least in part) from someone else.

They designed their original grandstand to look like PDS.
Grilling/tailgating in the outfield? Yeah, I wonder where they got that...
The lame little fist-pump, dugout dance they do? Completely stolen from Miami.

Quite frankly, what original traditions does UM have that they didn't steal from someone else? I guess maybe beer showers, but that's the nastiest shit I've ever seen- they can have that.

messageboardsuperhero
06-21-2014, 11:54 PM
Agree, they are definitely still little brother.

And Godwin is history. He's ECUs next coach.

That's what I'm hearing too. Losing Godwin would hurt them- quite frankly, I think he's the best coach on their staff.

BossDawg
06-21-2014, 11:59 PM
I saw this posted somewhere else a while back: "Ole Miss baseball - The House Ron Polk Built."

I really do believe that. It was the perfect storm for them to start "caring" about baseball. Polk II and Bianco lighting his fire...the only reason they care about baseball is because of that. They thought they "took" it from State and suddenly they love them some baseball. It's amazing how much we fuel their behavior.

justwin
06-22-2014, 12:16 AM
Gold

they lost because their fan base is morally, spiritually, and ethically weak.

TheRef
06-22-2014, 12:19 AM
They throw their beer out of love.

I seen it dawg
06-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Great post Todd. Spot on

UMCDawg16
06-22-2014, 09:45 AM
They have a good team, but they lost because their fan base is morally, spiritually, and ethically weak. Last year, our team was a 3 seed at best, but we advanced to the CWS finals because of our superior fan base.

I hope this isn't serious...

Dawgface
06-22-2014, 10:04 AM

I was wondering the same.

State82
06-22-2014, 10:11 AM

Some of y'all obviously haven't been educated on Mutt. Also, good job Todd, as usual.

RTO Dawg
06-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Don't let those pompous asses tell you anything other than thank you for showing me the way. I can remember as a kid sitting on wood bleachers where the only structures were dugouts and a bathroom. (Turner Center now)

Dawgface
06-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Some of y'all obviously haven't been educated on Mutt. Also, good job Todd, as usual.

Enlighten us.

State82
06-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Enlighten us.

Mutt has been antagonizing the UM folks like that for years on the other board.

Saltydog
06-22-2014, 12:06 PM
nt

shoeless joe
06-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Eh...post like this do nothing for me and are much ado about nothin. Anyone who has been a baseball fan for more than 10 years doesn't need to be told anything...it's written in the history books. A majority of rebels fans know this, tho they would never admit it.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Mutt is not welcome here

Goat Holder
06-22-2014, 01:24 PM
I agree, but it doesn't hurt to reinforce it to most of our weaker fans. Especially during a time when they damn near passed us. If it wasn't for that first game vs. Virginia, the ending might have been much different. Count your blessings for this one.

basedog
06-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Please, Virginia was a better club, I ain't ever gonna give the Black Bears credit, after all "This Is Our State"!!!!

The Black Bears should be counting their blessings, just think if their bats had been checked a long time ago?

#Hailstate

Goat Holder
06-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Check that cheesy party line crap at the gate when you engage me, pal. Go to Genespage if you want to have that goofy discussion "THISZZ izzz OUR state LULz

Mutt the Hoople
06-22-2014, 01:58 PM
I was making my bones when you were whacking off to pictures of Heath Ledger.

MarketingBully01
06-22-2014, 02:49 PM
I agree, but it doesn't hurt to reinforce it to most of our weaker fans. Especially during a time when they damn near passed us. If it wasn't for that first game vs. Virginia, the ending might have been much different. Count your blessings for this one.

You could say the same about Ole Miss against ULL and some of the other games in the NCAA tournament where they scored more because of walks and errors not because of their hitting prowess...Heck, they won the TTU game off of an error so you could say Ole Miss could easily have gone 0-2 in CWS or possibly not have made it period. It all evens out in the end. Virginia was a head and shoulders team better then Ole Miss so they swept two from them and the better team won period.

basedog
06-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Come on Goat, it ain't about cheesy party, it's a fact not in sports but in enrollment plus it's good for Msu! As for as me going to Genespage, has nothing to do with what I'm saying to you! Fact again, why should I or any Msu fan " Count your blessings"! Now that's Cheesy!

Coach34
06-22-2014, 04:28 PM

obviously not familiar with Mutt's work over the years

messageboardsuperhero
06-22-2014, 04:40 PM

Meh, UM was damn lucky that game was even close- I think UVA outhit them something like 8 or 9 to 1. The only run UM got that game came in an inning where they were walked twice and didn't even get a hit.

Then the next game, Tech's pitcher pretty much gave them that run in the tenth by botching the easy double play and giving up a weak ass texas leaguer for the win. By the time UM got to TCU, their bullpen was worn out after the 15 inning marathon against UVA. And don't even get me started about ULL making a bunch of errors and giving up about 15 combined free base runners in the last two games of that Super.

I fully admit that UM had a really nice run this year and had a very good team, but a lot of stuff went their way this postseason that helped them.

MaroonState
06-23-2014, 02:38 AM

Thank our stars. Take that shit to the spirit!!